Difference Between Contacts and Address Book

I'm just trying to start to use Outlook (MS Small Bus 2007 w/ Outlook and
Bus. Contact Mgr) for email and have a number of Contacts setup in different
Categories.  WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE IN USING "Contacts" VERSUS USING THE
ADDRESS BOOK???
--
CFL Joe
0

There is no address book in Outlook. What you think is an address book is
simply a view of the electronic addresses contained in your Contacts Folder.
Explain why you are confused and what you question is.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"CFLJoe" <CFLJoe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm just trying to start to use Outlook (MS Small Bus 2007 w/ Outlook and
> Bus. Contact Mgr) for email and have a number of Contacts setup in
> different
> Categories.  WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE IN USING "Contacts" VERSUS USING THE
> ADDRESS BOOK???
> --
> CFL Joe

0
russval1 (2100)
11/20/2007 1:56:47 AM
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] wrote:
> There is no address book in Outlook. What you think is an address book
> is simply a view of the electronic addresses contained in your Contacts
> Folder. Explain why you are confused and what you question is.

Excuse my butting in here, but I'm also confused, so perhaps so extra
confusion will help? :-)

I have Office 2003 (but it was the same in Office XP). I create a mail
rule and chose "Sender is in specified address book". When I get to
specify the address book (a step which itself mystifies me; I thought I
had only one) I'm give the choice of "Outlook Address Book" or
"Contacts". I just fumble around until the rule does what I want,
without ever knowing what I'm doing. Perhaps one of these is relevant to
people who use an exchange server; I don't.

--
Steve Swift
http://www.swiftys.org.uk/swifty.html
"Swifty" <Steve.J.Swift@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] wrote:
>> There is no address book in Outlook. What you think is an address book is
>> simply a view of the electronic addresses contained in your Contacts
>> Folder. Explain why you are confused and what you question is.
>
> Excuse my butting in here, but I'm also confused, so perhaps so extra
> confusion will help? :-)
>
> I have Office 2003 (but it was the same in Office XP). I create a mail
> rule and chose "Sender is in specified address book". When I get to
> specify the address book (a step which itself mystifies me; I thought I
> had only one) I'm give the choice of "Outlook Address Book" or "Contacts".
> I just fumble around until the rule does what I want, without ever knowing
> what I'm doing. Perhaps one of these is relevant to people who use an
> exchange server; I don't.
>
> --
> Steve Swift
> http://www.swiftys.org.uk/swifty.html
> http://www.ringers.org.uk

0
russval1 (2100)

Address fields left
Hi all, query solution I hope ! I have imported a csv address file into access : Address1 Address2 - Address6 Some fields are blank followed by another blank example : Text Blank Blank Text Text Blank example : Blank Blank Text Blank Text Blank example : Text Blank Blank Blank Text Text How can I shunt all the fields left so as to remove any spaces cheers, Garry Use the Trim option. You havel LTrim, RTrim and Trim. The first removes spaces to the left, the second removes spaces to the right and the last removes spaces left and right. So in your query you could use something like ...

automatic addresses in to:,cc: and bcc: fields, how to edit, delete, etc.
I don't know what it is called, but when you go to enter the names in the To, CC, and BCC in Outlook they automatically pop up. Very nice option. For example, when I go to write Tara Lewis. I write Tara and it finds the rest and pops/fills in the field. Well, this name is in a list somewhere. Where is this list, what is it called? And this list is not the same as "contacts." I'm trying to find out how to delete, edit, change, add in this list. For example. My friend Brian has two entries. One correct and one incorrect, spelled Brain. So when I write B - R it puts u...

outlook 2000 contacts #4
Where is the file that contains the contacts in Outlook 2000? I backed up my hardrive to a DVD and had to format my drive. I want to restore the contacts but don't know how It's under your profile c:\documents and settings\<profile name>\local settings\applications data\microsoft\outlook The file is Outlook.pst Good luck. "Ted" wrote: > Where is the file that contains the contacts in Outlook 2000? I backed up my > hardrive to a DVD and had to format my drive. I want to restore the contacts > but don't know how jdc <jdc@discussions.microso...

Rules and Reply-to E-Mail addresses
I have tried searching through the solved questions listed here and did not find anything that solved my problem, but please let me know if there's something I've missed! I receive many e-mails from example@theirdomain.com. The e-mails have a different reply-to address from the one above. Now normally, I click reply on each of the hundreds of emails, and paste in the same response. This works fine, but is time consuming. I thought I could use a rule to simplify the whole process. My problem is, in my rule, when I select reply using specific template, it replies to the ...

Get part of the Address
I currently have the address City State and Zip all in one cell. What is the easiest way using code to separate City, State Zip into different cells? Thank You Michae -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi try using 'Data - Text to columns' for this -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "daniels012 >" <<daniels012.1b73pt@excelforum-nospam.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:daniels012.1b73pt@excelforum-nospam.com... > I currently have the address City State and Zip all in one cell. > What is the easiest way using code to separate City, ...

New Mailbox
Hi All, When I create a userid object for a new employee in 'Users and Computers' the NT account is created. I usually wait about 3-5 minutes and the email address are created. Yesteday when I created a new user the email address took about 15 minutes, but Exchange 2003 only created a X500 email address. No smtp etc. I am thinking that this is a problem with RUS, however I have run a rebuild and update, and still no luck, I cant seem to find any messages in the event log either! I deleted the entry and recreated the same user with the same result. I hope someone can help me!!! Tha...

Transfering Outlook Calendar, Contacts and IMAP-folders to Live Ma
I have a new computer with Windows 7 and Windows Live Mail. Live mail doesn't pick up the Outlook Calendar, Contacts and the IMAP folders I had created. How can I get these over from my old Outlook to Live Mail. (I have saved the pst file) Ulf Eriksson wrote: > I have a new computer with Windows 7 and Windows Live Mail. > Live mail doesn't pick up the Outlook Calendar, Contacts and the IMAP > folders I had created. How can I get these over from my old Outlook to Live > Mail. (I have saved the pst file) Download and install the trial version of Office 2007....

Toolbar with different icon sizes
I am developing an Internet Explorer toolbar. Most of the buttons have icon sizes of 16x16, but one of them has larger width (80 pixels). Since a toolbar expects all icons to have the same size I have to do something special if I want to add this button. The solution that I am currently experimenting with is to make a second toolbar which is a child window of the first toolbar. This second toolbar contains only one button. This seems to work a little. I can position it correctly, but the problem is that the second toolbar is entirely black. If I move the mouse cursor of it, it highlights a g...

Display middle name with Primary Contact field on Account screen?
How do I Display the middle name with Primary Contact field on Account screen? Please help. We use the Primary Contact field on the main Account screen to search and select a contact. The field then displays the First Name + Last Name of the contact that was selected. Can I make it show First Name + Last Name + Middle Name? How do I do it? I will be very appreciative for any help I receive. Thanks adna; The CRM has one format for displaying contact names. you can set that format in Settings-->Administration-->System Settings. While First Name + Last Name + Middle Name isn&...

Copy data between access databases with slightly different structures
If I have 2 databases with some differences in table structure, 1 is fully populated and the other empty, how can I copy only the matching fields data from one to the other? Are there any utilities available for this? See if this is what you want. Open one database and create a link to the table in the other database. Then create an append query. You can choose the fields you want to append, leaving the other fields alone and/or use criteria to chose what records you want to append. -- Joseph E. Meehan 26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math "Partha Mandayam" <partha@partha...

Assign a Contact to a different businessunit
Helo, is it possible to assign a contact to a different businessunit than my own? We have the problem that the customer has users that should have the right to enter contacts for different businessunits (without assigning it to another user). Thanks for your help, paul. Unfortunately, the answer is no. If you look in the tables for Contact (ContactBase) or even the Contact view or FilteredContact, you'll probablly notice a field called businessunitid...this is dynamically set when you reassign it to someone else. Sorry I don't have a better solution for you. "Paul&quo...

Sort Order in Address Book
Can someone explain to me what the difference is between "default File As order" and "default Full Name order" on the Tools | Options | Preferences | Contacts | Contact Options window in Outlook 2000 ? I suspect it is one of these settings that is messing up my Address Book since I re-installed.(don't recall how it was set before). Some of the names show up Last name first and others show up first last. Rather annoying when looking for one of many "Smiths" to have some as Smith, John B. and some as John A. Smith. Currently I have them set as (which is what I...

SMTP Email Addresses Resolving
We have one exchange 2000 account with multiple SMTP addresses and we would like the user to be able to see which email addresses are being sent. Right now all email addresses are resolving to the primary so the user cannot tell which address it was sent too. Is there a way to force exchange to pass through the SMTP address setup in the Email Addresses tab? Please let me know, thanks, Gavin Does adding the 'To' column to the inbox view in Outlook do what you want? i.e. along the top line, you normally see From, Subject, Received, etc. Add the To field to that. It should do ...

Syncing Outlook 2003 with Bus Contact Mgr on 2 computers
Just upgraded to Office 2003 and want to keep my Outlook on both desktop and laptop in sync. Used to be able to do it through my PDA which runs Pocket PC--sync desktop computer to PDA, then PDA to laptop for the road. But Business Contact Manager Accounts and links aren't reflected in the Pocket PC sync, although the contacts show up in Outlook contacts. How do I backup my desktop Outlook 2003 and then restore on my laptop so that the two computers have duplicate data. http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm should help. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies t...

splitting up an IP address #2
the problem with that is that I need the IP address still. The text t columns splits it up but I loose the IP. I also need this to do i automatically -- eluehman ----------------------------------------------------------------------- eluehmann's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1309 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27776 Hi a very simple solution would be: - copy column A first to column B - apply 'Data - text to columns' on column B -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "eluehmann" <...

"Address" of current cell
Is there a function that will return the "address" of the active cell? In other words, if I'm on cell G9, it there a function I can use that will return 'G9?' TIA Doug Hi Doug try =ADDRESS(ROW(),COLUMN()) Frank Doug Mc wrote: > Is there a function that will return the "address" of the active cell? > In other words, if I'm on cell G9, it there a function I can use that > will return 'G9?' > > TIA > Doug Or slightly less typing =CELL("address") -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Frank Kabel" <frank.kabel@fr...

Calculating Time Difference
Hi, Searched previous postings but can't find an answer to my problem - hope someone can help. I have two columns both in hh:mm format; first shows a start time and second shows a stop time. I want a third column to show the difference in hours and minutes between the two times - if I can't have this I will accept difference in minutes only between the two times. Best I have come up with is the calculation =ABS(a2-a1) and custom format the cell to show minutes only; [mm]. There seems to be a problem with this - the calculation does not always return the expected time differe...

Lookup remit to address on check history
Is there anyway to get the address the check was mailed to on the Payables Payments Zoom window? i.e. vendor calls because has not received payment and ask where check was mailed. If Remit To on vendor card has changed since check was written there is no way without having a copy of the check to tell to what address the check was sent. ...

Resetting MS CRM Sales for Outlook 1.2 Contacts synchronization
Hi, We have a few clients that have either deleted the synchronized contacts in the local contact folder or aren't getting the ones they are supposed to since the 1.2 update. Two questions on this: Where is the information on contacts that are deleted locally kept to prevent the re-sync, specifically ? How do we reset this ? We have tried reinstalling per the KB without success. Any help would be appreciated. Seems strange this isn't documented somewhere. Thanks, Gary Dear Gary, I found your query in search for a similar problem. Before coming across my current problem I us...

Moving mailboxes from 5.5 to 2K in different domain
Hello, If anyone could give me some quick tips on what method to use to migrate mailboxes from a 5.5 box to a 2000 box that is in a different domain I would greatly appreciate it. We have built a fresh W2K domain and will be migrating our production NT4 domain. In testing, I have successfully replicated all users, groups, and computers to the new W2K domain using the active directory migration tool. The old/new domains currently have a full 2-way trust established. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks, JW If you migrate the accounts successfully then the users will all be in t...

>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient tab
>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table This error is from our exchange, what is causing it? Certain email address seem to trigger it. We would need more information. Exchange versions, for instance. And who receives the NDR? Your users or someone sending to your domain? Postfix in the mix anywhere? "BrianMultiLanguage" <BrianMultiLanguage@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7C32582D-E2D4-4C83-8A72-A8127672688D@microsoft.com... > >: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table > > This error is...

finding differing numbers.
How do I in a column of numbers some in duplication, how can i get a list off the entries which reflects these numbers but not in duplication. ie "numbers" 1, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 1, 5, 3, 5, 2, 1, 2. "result" 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Thanks Chris Hi one way: - select your column - choose 'Data - Filter Advanced Filter' - choose a new range and 'unique entries' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany curleyc wrote: > How do I in a column of numbers some in duplication, how can i get a > list off the entries which reflects these numbers but not in > duplicat...

Set recipent address to smtp instead of Exchange/x400 ?
Is there a settting that I can change to set the recipient or to address to always show as an smtp address instead of the Exchange/X400 address? what version of Exchange? smtp is the default protocol for Exchange 2000/2003... -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "Jibril Esa" <jesa@conarc.com> wrote in message news:#lwYvtijGHA.3440@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Is there a settting that I can change to set the recipient or to address > to always show as an smtp address instead of the Exchange/X400 address? > > In exchange 2003 environment or exchange 2000. when I pull t...

Contact not showing up in Global Address List
I have created some contacts for people out outside the company that everyone in the company should see. The contacts are not show up in the GAL. But they are showing up in the All Contacts list. The client is Outlook 2003. It is the client or the setup in AD .. Any help would be great Make sure that your GAL filter includes contacts. If it does, there will be the following filter (objectClass=contact) "Mat" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:29cef01c465d2$301708d0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I have created some contacts for people out outside the ...

Contact Forms
Hello Using OL2003 and I want to slightly change the "Contact" form to add another field. When I edit it, it has a different layout and the field for the contact's image is not there. How can I retain the default "contact" form and add the extra field. Am I missing something here. I have been trying to find info and do it for several hours!! Thanks Rob The new contact form layout in OL2003 and the included picture control = are not available to programmers, who will see the older layout when = they put an Outlook 2003 contact form into design mode. One work...