Determine if PST file is password protected

Preface:
I have developed a script (vbs) that will be broadcast throughout the
company and its purpose is to consolidate all pst files found on a
given pc. When the script finds a pst file, whether it it searching on
the hard drive or any other server, it will move that pst file to a
specific directory on a given server, load the user's hive into the
registry (deployment via SMS) and then remap that pst in the registry.

Question:
Is there any way for the script (once again, vb) to recognize the pst
file as being password protected prior to moving it? I can't seem to
find any relative information in the registry.

BTW, I am aware of the file called pst19upg.exe, but I do not want to
strip the password from the file. I simply want to determine if it is
protected or not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

*Best Regards*

static.chi.cubs@gmail.com <static.chi.cubs@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have developed a script (vbs) that will be broadcast throughout the
> company and its purpose is to consolidate all pst files found on a
> given pc. When the script finds a pst file, whether it it searching on
> the hard drive or any other server, it will move that pst file to a
> specific directory on a given server, load the user's hive into the
> registry (deployment via SMS) and then remap that pst in the registry.

Bad idea, since PSTs on file servers are not supported and, if used, can
lead to corruption of the PSTs.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
11/10/2005 2:33:55 PM
First of all, thank you for a timely response. I am in the process of
beta testing this script and have not seen any corruption thus far. All
information in my "preface" is working correctly. (Knock on wood!) I
needed the question answered relative to password protection. However,
I have decided to strip that password from the pst after moving it to
the server.

I will continue to be open to any solutions that anyone may have for my
own educational purposes, though.

Corrupt money data file
I've posted this on the Money UK site but with no reaction ; I wonder if I can reach a larger audience on here - I'm desperate to sort this out, thanks. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- On running Money, I received a message "Money has encountered a problem and needs to close" - no indication of what the problem was. I couldn't get past the splach screen I found article 836197 in the knowledge base which seems to covers this ; did what it advised, even to the extent of doing an uninstall and re-install, but ...

How to keep loaded file's format intact?
Hello, I am loading into spreadsheet .csv file, where each field is enclosed in quotation marks, and separated by the comma. Each line looks like this: "No name"," 1 555 2340553","2009-09-07 14:55:08","","No Dialtone. Line is not connected or it is in use.","8" That file loads nicely into spreadsheet, each field into its own cell. However, when saving it, the format (quotation marks) is gone. I need to preserve that quotations marks. The reason for it is that some data may contain commas which are not field s...

Office Power Point Viewer 2007 won't open ".pps" files
Using Windows 7, Home Premium, 32 bit. No Office 2007 installed. Using Microsoft Works. Have experienced several issues with Office PPT Viewer 2007. Cleared them, but additionally each time I try to open a .pps file, either from the Desktop or Windows Mail, I receive the following: "C:\Users|AMD\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\TemporaryInternetFiles\content.IE5\E7D22GOW\Gathering of Mustangs and Legends2007.pps is not a valid Win32 application". I have opened this file many times on another computer, so don't think it is an issue with the file. The software has be...

forgot the password for Point of sale.
I have a client who forgot the password for Point of sale. How can I delete or find the password ? I Know that some people said that go to administration and do someting. But this Point of sale(RMS) dosen't have administration icon. It has only Microsoft Dynamics Point of Sale Icon. Open the file Rms.config, located in C:\Microsoft Dynamics - Point of Sale, with Notepad Change the line <initialized>True</initialized> to <initialized>False</initialized> Then start POS. You'll be prompted for store information, passwords etc, just as if it was t...

PDF file #5

suggested ways to manipulate XML files in .Net?
Hi everyone, I'm going to manipulate some XML files in my next project-- crawl through the tags, compare if file X has the same nodes as file Y, and if not, what the differences are and who's missing what. I'll also be comparing values between nodes in the two files, for when both documents do have the same named nodes. What .Net classes should I be looking at to accomplish these tasks? Thanks a bunch. Steve Hershoff wrote: > I'm going to manipulate some XML files in my next project-- crawl through > the tags, compare if file X has the same nodes as file Y, and...

Saving chart as an image file
I want to create a pie chart in Microsoft Excel, then save it as an image file (.jpg or .gif) so I can put it on a website. How do I do this? Secondly, as I create my pie chart, how do I set my data labels? I want to change them from the default (numbers) to my own description for each slice. Jon Peltier has some instructions in his Excel Charting FAQ article for exporting a chart in gif format: http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=209#jon008 To add your own labels to the chart, you can use Rob Bovey's XY Chart Labeler. It's a free add-in that yo...

Integration Manager--log file name?
Is there any way to know the name of the log file (we're writing our logs to text file) from within one of the "After" integration events? If we're successful, we need to send the user an email telling them that the event is successful. We're currently cycling through the whole folder to find the latest one, but if there were a variable in the Integration Manager VBScripts that I could use, that would be much better. Thanks. PSC: If I recall correctly, IM has a Document Error and Integration Error event in the integration properties. Rather than looking at the...

Excel 2007 and Word 2007 Hangs when using the File -> Open command
I have a couple users that when they have Excel 2007 or Word 2007 open, and click the File -> Open option, and choose a file, it either takes about 3 minutes to open the file or the program will crash. If they were to double click on the documents or spreadsheets, the doc or sheet will open right up. This is happening on the user's Hard drive as well as network drives. Once you get a file opened in Word or Excel, however, the next time you go to File -> Open, it's really fast to open the file. ...

File Sharing between XP Pro and XP Home
I have a few questions concerning file sharing between XP Pro and XP Home in a Workgroup environment. I would really appreciate any help. 1)From what I'm gathering on the internet (I've read multiple articles) you cannot even connect a Windows XP Home computer to a domain. I'm I interpreting this correctly? 2)I have a new server with XP Pro and 5 other computers with XP Home. I only have 3 computers (which includes the new XP Pro server) that really need access to everything (or the main folders) on the server. The other 3 computers need limited access. If I purchase X...

Modify Protection Macro to allow formatting?
Option Explicit Sub UnprotectAll() dim wks as worksheet for each wks in activeworkbook.worksheets wks.unprotect password:="topsecret" next wks End Sub Sub ProtectAll() dim wks as worksheet for each wks in activeworkbook.worksheets wks.protect password:="topsecret" next wks End Sub How do I modify to allow users to format cells? Only been 4 minutes since your first post. Have a little patience. See reply at that post. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 11:14:02 -0800, Visakha <Visakha@discussions.microsoft...

Crystal Report password tool
what is error 404? I have a problem to change the password. Please help... Thanks 404 is page not found -- John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.microsoft.com/BusinessSolutions/Community/CRMFaqLanding.aspx "Francis" <Francis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CAA3BBAD-29D7-4815-999C-3976D19548DE@microsoft.com... > what is error 404? I have a problem to change the password. Please help... > Thanks ...

Software copy-protection strategies involving unlock codes
I would like to learn about strategies for protecting my software against illicit copying, by supplying users with unlock codes which they have to use to unlock the program's full functionality. Does anyone know of any good books on this topic, or other sources of information on it. TIA Simon I don't, although I've done a bit of work in this area myself. The first issue you need to deal with is how to stop a customer that has the code from being able to give it to someone else. I simply have the code tied to the customers name and company, if any. This way, they can st...

linked files
When I open a file it says it is linked to another file. When I check the links it is linked to a file I no longer have. How do I find where the link is coming from and get rid of it. Going to the Edit Links doesn't seem to get rid of the file. Charlie C Try Bill Manville's excellent "FindLink" utility .. It's available at Stephen Bullen's page: http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/Def�ault.htm -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- GMT+8, 1� 22' N 103� 45' E xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot>com ---- "Charlie 5280" <Charlie 5280@discussions.microsoft.com>...

How can I access a file in Outlook Public Folder by VBscript
It does not have to be VBscript.. I need sync the file with my local harddrive... Thanks. Nix wrote: > It does not have to be VBscript.. > I need sync the file with my local harddrive... > > Thanks. Why does it need to be a script at all? You can add your public folder to your PF\Favorites (drag it there) and include it in your send/receive settings for offline use with your OST file. ...

Retrieve .pst files
My PC at work is upgraded from windows NT to Windows 2000. Before upgrade I backed up all the outlook 2000 .pst files. Now I have outlook 2003. I unable to retreive .pst files. viji.pst file is available under C:\Documents and Settings\jviji\Local settings\Applicationdata/microsoft/outlook. From outlook menu file -> data file management ->add -> outlook 97-2002 personal folder.pst -> viji.pst prompts to enter passwd. Please reply how do I retrieve the passwd protected .pst file. This are very important emails. Please reply. Thanks Viji Viji Jayaraman <jviji@ems.att.co...

"Can't Create Backup FIle. Save [filename] Without Backp?
I get the following message every so often when running Excel 2003 under Win XP: "Can't create backup file. Save [finename] without backup?" I respond: "OK" "Your changes could not be saved to [filename] because of a sharing violation. Try saving to a different file." I respond: "OK". It presents me with the standard window allowing me to enter a new filename, which I do, then press OK. Then I get: "Do you want to save the changes you made to [fileename]? I respond: "Yes" "Document not saved." This is VERY annoying. I am t...

Unable to save username or password
I have been unable to save my username or password since the lock out problem has been fixed. Anyone have any suggestions? -- Christopher J. Fazio, V.M.D. Hope, New Jersey You could log in with the passport, remove it and restart Money. Then reattach it and see whether it remembers the information. However, if you use any online services, I'm not sure whether there will be any effect on these, so take a backup if you do decide to do this. -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny for UK tips and fixes for MS Money. T...

Money Backup File Security
I regularly take backup of my money file. I secure my money software with a password also. My question is regarding the security of the backup file. When I take a backup do I need to remember the password also? Let's say I took a backup a month ago and after that I changed my money password. And for reasons unknown I forgot the password which I had set when I took the backup. In the event of failure when I try to restore it from that backup will it ask me for a password? If yes, which one? If not - then is it not a security breach considering the fact that the backup CD might be sto...

moving files
How do I move files from publisher 98 to publisher 2000? The programs are installed separately. If you are talking about the documents you created, you wouldn't have to. But if you wanted to - copy and paste. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "dunefarm" <dune@discus.micro.com> wrote in message news:3854FB0D-CB6B-4D3A-A922-0A982890D3FD@microsoft.com... > How do I move files from publisher 98 to publisher 2000? The programs are > installed separately. ...

Arrears Help Files
Hello all, I don't seem to have the help file for the Arrears transactions. I can't find it on my system don't see a reference to it in the main GP 10 help file. We have GP 10 SP 4. I looked in KB see no reference to that particular problem anywhere. TIA Anyone? On Feb 10, 8:12=A0am, Brian <nixtoo...@hotmail.com> wrote: > Hello all, I don't seem to have the help file for the Arrears > transactions. =A0I can't find it on my system don't see a reference to it > in the main GP 10 help file. =A0We have GP 10 SP 4. =A0I looked in KB see= no...

Can OnPrint output be saved to a file?
Can OnPrint output (icluding fonts,rectangles,brushes...) be saved to a file? I am currently writing output in rtf file format for this purpose and it is more time consuming then producing a report via OnPrint. Thanks. How about using standard OnPrint code and mess with the Print to file option in the Print dialog box? -- Jonathan Wood SoftCircuits http://www.softcircuits.com Available for consulting: http://www.softcircuits.com/jwood/resume.htm "Charles C." <binstar@aei.ca> wrote in message news:%23m9f8B3GEHA.3940@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Can OnPrint output (icludin...

open excel 2007 refresh query from batch file
Hello all, I have a simple script saved as "C:\refresh_excel.vbs" that opens an Excel file, and does a refresh for a query on Sheet 1. I created a scheduled task to run this every day. It worked fine for previous versions of Excel, but since I have upgraded to Excel 2007 it doesn't work. Any help it helping me figure this out would be appreciated. /*contents of refresh_excel.vbs*/ Set objExcel = CreateObject("Excel.Application") objExcel.Visible = True Set objWorkBook = objExcel.Workbooks.Open("C:\reports\UPS.xls") objWorkbook.Sheets("...

Message-Data file not properly closed???
Upon boot of Outlook, EVERYTIME, I get this message--Data file did not close properly the last time it was used and is being checked for problems. Performance might be affected by the check in progress. When I leave Outlook, I have made sure to close all files and exit properly. Is there some reason this happens? I even go back to my main screen now. Is there something more I should be doing. Did the file checking finish before you closed Outlook? If not, it will continue/restart the next time you start Outlook. If it still does this after the checking has completed, the...

in MS EXCLE how we can protect only one cell?
plz do repl me soon Hi First select all of the cells in the Sheet>Format>Cells>Protection>remove the check mark form Locked. Next select the single cell you want to be locked>Format>Cells>protection>check Locked. Tools>Protection>Protect Sheet (optionally provide a password - remember to write it down somewhere of you do) -- Regards Roger Govier anu khan wrote: > plz do repl me soon EXCEL 2007 This assumes that you wish to protect cells D 83 to D 85. If you wish to protect just one cell replace D 83 to D 85 (below) with the cell ...