Delete "Suggest Names" list

Under Advanced Email Options there is a option to "Suggest
names while completing TO, CC and BC fields"
How can the contents of this list be cleared?

This may help:

Deleting Unused Addresses from AutoSuggest

As you probably have noticed, when you begin to type a name or email address
in the To, CC or Bcc field of an email, Outlook displays a list of suggested
email addresses.  If there is an address in that list that you would rather
not have suggested, just scroll to it using the arrow keys, then press the
Delete key to delete it.  The "deleted" address remains in the global
address list, but won't be suggested to you by Outlook.

Judy Freed

Systems Development

UNC Charlotte

"Simon Smith" <ssmith@smpcorp.com> wrote in message
> Under Advanced Email Options there is a option to "Suggest
> names while completing TO, CC and BC fields"
> How can the contents of this list be cleared?

Thanks, but I was looking for a way to delete the entire
list as we have change email address for everyone and will
need to delete the whole list. They must be stored
somewhere???

They
"Simon" <ssmith@smpcorp.com> wrote in message
> Thanks, but I was looking for a way to delete the entire
> list as we have change email address for everyone and will
> need to delete the whole list. They must be stored
> somewhere???

They are.  They are stored in a file called an NK2 file.  This is a hidden,
system folder.

Make certain that you turn on Advanced Search Functions and check Hidden and
System files.

Next, search for the file name *.nk2.

The NK2 file is named as follows:  <MS Outlook User Profile Name>.NK2.
Further, it is found in your Documents and Setting Folder.
(Make certain that in your Folder settings, you can view hidden and system
folders.)

You may want to look and see what the contents of the file contains as there
may be some useful information in there.  Renaming it to a .bak file will
effectively stop the autocomplete function.  If you want to view the entire
contents of this file, you can download a demo version of our utility at
www.dcs-imaging.com/products.htm it's called Owtlook.  With it you can open
and view the contents of this file.  There are many benefits to being able
to mine the data in these files.  Terminated employees and customer
service/sales reps.' computers contain potentially valuable information,
information you may wish to retain prior to deleting or renaming this file.

Randy

"Simon" <ssmith@smpcorp.com> wrote in message
> Thanks, but I was looking for a way to delete the entire
> list as we have change email address for everyone and will
> need to delete the whole list. They must be stored
> somewhere???

edit suggest names when completing To, cc and bcc fields
Apparently I don't have an Address Book linked to Outlook 2000. No matter, because I seem to be ok with the suggest names feature, which I guess is not Address Book-linked, but linked to a memory bank of names and corresponding addresses typed in during the past. However, here is my question: How do you edit this Suggest Names list? In particular, A. Suppose you want to stop Outlook from suggesting a particular name because it is not current anymore. Worse, you might inadvertantly click on it and send msg to somebody you don't want to receive it. Is there a way to delet...

Suggest Names While Completing To:, CC:, BCC
I uninstalled Office 2003 and reinstalled Office XP. The option to "suggest names while..." in Advanced Email Options is no longer available. It's grayed out. Does anyone know how I get this feature back? ...

Suggest Names/Auto Fill
This is driving me crazy. Outlook has picked up on an email address i incorrectly typed in Now anytime i try to type the correct address it suggest/auto fills the wrong name until i finish typing the right address. Is there any way to get outlook to stop doing this? Can we clear the bad name out?? Please advise Any names it should be trying to Autofill should be coming straight from your address book. So if you go into your address book and find the offending address, simply delete it and type in the correct one. Or, if you want, you can completely disable Autofill by going t...

Suggest names while completing To, Bc, and Bcc fields
Hello all. I was wondering if anyone knew how to clear the "suggested names" in Outlook 2002. I found out how to turn that options off but I have some addresses that are no longer valid and I want to start the list over. Thank you for your time. Allan Here's a great article. I tried it and it worked for me. Also, as names appear in the autocomplete dropdown, you can use your arrow key to highlight the name and tap you delete key. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en- us;287623&Product=ol2002 >-----Original Message----- >Hello all. I was...

The 'Suggest names' option is greyed out
My autocomplete function has stopped working when I'm typing names into the to, Cc and Bcc fields. The help function tells me to check the 'Suggest names while completing To, Cc, and Bcc fields' but this option is greyed out and i don't know why? Is there another check-box somewhere that allows me access to this check-box?? Hard to say what's going on without knowing any configuration details. Version of Outlook? Type of mail account? If you are in a corporate network, then this option could have been disabled by your corporate admin. If you are not in a c...

Copy Suggest Names from Outlook 2003
Is there a way to copy the "Suggest names while completting To,Ccand Bcc fields" ? This field has been enabled and now we need to copy the e-mail addresses to another PC. Thanks in advance. There is no supported method, but it would seem that if you take the NK2 file, copy it, transfer it to the other installation, then rename it to match the profile of the other installation and use it to replace the NK2 file in the other installation, it might work. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Chris" <razornt@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1c3d01c3e02f$9b11ddf0$a5...

suggest names (outlook 2002)
in the autocomplete function, is there a way to access the database? I've got old addresses in there that I used once a year ago causing a drop-down list when I've only got one matching entry in my address book... so what I'd like to do is either clear it out completely or at least delete the obsolete entries, I've looked in the registry and it isn't there... any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks! --John Remove individual addresses from the autocompletion cache by highlighting the entry when presented in the suggested names list (use your arrow key to migrate to...

Auto suggest names in TO.. Outlook 2002
I have switched from outlook express to outlook. In express, as soon as I started typing a "TO" name, autofill suggested a name from my address book that fit the spelling. This happens sometimes in outlook but is very slow and mostly, it does not make suggestions. I have it turned on in "Tools, options email- advanced. Suggest names." Any ideas? -- \\\|/// \\ ~ ~ // ( @ @ ) --oOOo-(_)-oOOo--- Charlie Yes, the autocomplete cache file is called the NK2 file. It is populated from outgoing e-mails. It do...

Selectvely limit "Suggest names while completing To, Cc, and Bcc fields"?
Hi folks, Is there a way to selectvely limit the names that pop up when entering a name in the To, Cc, and Bcc fields? It looks as though it is an all or nothing, but a user asked so I thought I'd ask if there were any tricks for this. Thanks, RT Clarify whether you are talking about autocompletion (Suggest Names) or autoresolution (Automatic Name checking). Specify your Outlook version. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "RogerThat" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:035d01c495ec$87c59570$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Hi folks, > > Is ther...

"Suggest names"
Hi - I use the auto-complete feature to "suggest names" when filling in To, CC, and BCC fields in email messages. While it is useful, what I'd really prefer is for it to remember the most-recently used names instead and suggest those. For example, when I type "Joe" into the To field, I'd like it to remember that I most recently sent email to Joe Smith, and place that suggestion at the top of the list of suggested names. Is there some way to do that? Thanks, Tim ...

Where does Outlook store names used in suggest names?
If you select suggest names while completing To, Cc, and Bcc fields in tools/options/email options/advanced email options; where does it store those names? More importantly, how can you edit them? If you get one in there that is incorrect, how do you get rid of it? Remove individual addresses from the autocompletion cache by highlighting the entry when presented in the suggested names list (use your arrow key to migrate to the entry) and then hitting your Delete key before you tab out of the field. To clear the entire cache, follow the instructions here: http://support.microsoft.com/def...

Deleting names from the "Suggest Names" feature
Recently I did an e-mail blast to a large list of business constituents, most of which I don't correspond with on a regular basis. Now, when I type a name in my TO, CC or BCC Fields, it displays dozens of names from this bulk e-mail list. I'm curious to know if anyone knows of a feature to delete this memory so I can start over. l like the feature and don't want to shut it off completely. The place where I found the ability to shut it off is: Tools/Options/E-mail Preferences/E-mail Options/E-mail Advanced Options. I have discovered how to delete names on an individual bas...

suggest names while
All of a sudden Outlook stopped suggenting names for me in my To: Bcc: and Cc: I used to be able to just type in three letters to a name and then it would appear. Any suggestions for me or do I need a patch or just to reload Outlook? Thanks for your help!! And boy do I need help What version of Outlook? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, t rex asked...

"Suggest names while completing To, Cc, and Bcc fields"
I'm running Outlook XP under Windows XP Pro. "Suggest names while completing To, Cc, and Bcc fields" is one of the Advanced E-mail Options when sending a message. I have it checked. I have friends with two addresses, one of which is from an account they no longer have. When I begin typing their current address, I'm offered both it and the one no longer in use, which I have deleted from my Address Book. I've deleted their working address as well, but this makes no difference: I still get both addresses suggested when I begin typing their address. How can this be remed...

Outlook 2003 Suggest Names feature stops working
Hello I've run into a problem with one of our Outlook 2003 installations. On this particular PC (XP SP2), the Suggest Names feature has spontaneously "forgotten" all of the email addresses in it's cache. It's like all of the email addresses are somehow deleted. The feature is still turned on in Tools, Options, Email Options, Adv Email Options. And any email addresses the user puts in after this problem occurs are remembered, but Outlook doesn't remember any from the day before or earlier. The user hasn't been mucking around with his settings, and this has hap...

Outlook 2000 Suggest names while completing To, Cc...
A few weeks ago, Outlook lost all of my email addresses and no longer suggests emails as I type the first few letters. Now, it will remember an email and offer it as a suggestion until I turn the computer off and reboot - then all is lost again. Any one encounter this problem? In advanced email options, I have all the boxes checked. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. Either rename the *NK2 file this profile uses or create a new profile. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Jim" <jamesvon@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:f2c901c43db3$deed7200$a101280a@phx.gbl... > A few w...

Suggest names while completing To, Cc, and Bcc fields
I have this feature turned on for one of my users, but when he restarts his outlook, it no longer remembers previous entries. This has worked in the past... Any suggestions? Recreate the profile. The current one is corrupt. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Kendall" <kendall.gamber@sba.gov> wrote in message news:476e01c42bc3$ce71fb50$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I have this feature turned on for one of my users, but > when he restarts his outlook, it no longer remembers > previous entries. This has worked in the past... Any > suggestions? It worked .... Thank you ...

Clearing of list "Suggest names while completing To, CC and BBC fields"
Is it possible to clear this list, insted of deleting one of the time? Use Find to search for and rename or delete your <profilename>.NK2 file (where <profilename> is the name of your Outlook profile). -- PATRICK REED [Outlook - MVP]~~~~~~ -Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) -Have you checked http://www.slipstick.com? -Please post your Outlook version! "Jan Hoff" <jhl@fujitsu.dk> wrote in message news:09a401c3c0a2$f5186f00$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Is it possible to clear this list, insted of deleting one > of the time? ...

outlook 2003 suggest names cache
Does anyone know the file that needs to be deleted to clear the suggest username cache? We migrating users who where contacts and having problems with users computers and wrong cache information. found it. Nk2 file "Josh" <josh.stinson@ipsos-na.com> wrote in message news:eg0K3TXHEHA.2928@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Does anyone know the file that needs to be deleted to clear the suggest > username cache? We migrating users who where contacts and having problems > with users computers and wrong cache information. > > Where is this file located? >-----Orig...

Clearing out the "Suggest Names in CC"
Can any one tell me how the "Suggest Names in CC" actually works. I have the box in options ticked but does it only suggest those e-mails addresses that you actually type in or does it look at your Contacts, if so what specific field is it looking at within your contacts (e-mail or display as) Final questions is how do your clear the cache of these suggested names as some that are appearing are very old and I don't use them anymore Thanks The cache is derived only from messages already sent. Remove individual addresses from the autocompletion cache by highlighting the entry...

Delete "Suggest Names" list
Under Advanced Email Options there is a option to "Suggest names while completing TO, CC and BC fields" How can the contents of this list be cleared? This may help: Deleting Unused Addresses from AutoSuggest As you probably have noticed, when you begin to type a name or email address in the To, CC or Bcc field of an email, Outlook displays a list of suggested email addresses. If there is an address in that list that you would rather not have suggested, just scroll to it using the arrow keys, then press the Delete key to delete it. The "deleted" address remains in ...

Lost suggest names functionality
Help! We've lost the functionality which suggests an e- mail address after the first few characters have been typed. The settings under preferences>advanced e-mail options are all correct. Is there another place that controls addressing? I've talked to a couple of consultants already with no luck. This has just happened on one of our machines. Any help is greatly apprecaited. thanks! Post Outlook version. Post changes made to your system and Outlook configuration. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Jobro" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in mes...

Suggest Names not working
Upgraded a client's Outlook (not sure the version) to OL 2003. Client said Suggest Names not working. Deleted NK2 file per posts here on MS KB. Still doesn't work. Client said, "Oh...it didn't work before upgrade either!" ?????????? TIA Mark Deleting the NK2 file won't work. Creating a new profile will. While you're at it, make sure the feature is enabled. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] <res1zas6@verizon.net> wrote in message news:6vtvj0dh3h62rflgnjl97ngv7bj7nnaacr@4ax.com... > Upgraded a client's Outlook (not sure the version) to OL 2003. Cl...

Suggest Names While Completing .....
Is there anyway to remove a "suggested name" short of actually turning this feature off? Our CEO's PA has returned from leave but her home email address keeps popping up as an option. Ta Ian When Outlook suggests the name, highlight it with the arrow keys and then press the delete key. "Ian Kynaston" <IKynaston@nospam.propertyoz.com.au> wrote in message news:554f01c4743a$a34b6910$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Is there anyway to remove a "suggested name" short of > actually turning this feature off? > > Our CEO's PA has returned from leave b...

advanced e-mail option for "Suggest names..."
My advanced e-mail option is turned ON for "Suggest names while completing To, From, Bcc fields", but it doesn't seem to work the way it did a couple of weeks ago. Nothing has changed that I am aware of. Right now, it only seems to work for addresses that I have typed in during my current session - doesn't seem to know about anything I typed in yesterday or last week. It used to suggest addresses that I had typed in a long time ago. Do you know why it doesn't seem to remember what I've typed into those fields before? I don't know why the names cache is getting c...