Default PST File from registry info

Lately I've been trying to make a little software tool that would back
up several information, on wich PST files are included.

I know I may find cases on which there could be more than one profile
and each of them having one or more .pst files.

I searched everywhere but couldn't find some certain info on where the
information about .pst files is stored.

However, I found this vague information:

There's a registry key in HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows Messaging
Subsystem\Profiles

There is a key value named "Default Profile" with the name of the
default profile (d'oh!) and also there's subkeys to each of the
profiles.

So, in HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows Messaging
Subsystem\Profiles\<profileName>\ I would find some info on the profile
settings. There's a subkey named 9207f3e0a3b11019908b08002b2a56c2, in
which more CLSIDs are named, each one of them with different info (such
as Personal Folders, Address Files, Account Info and such).

But how do I know what's the exact name on which the location of the
pst file is/are located? I could find that one on my PC, but nothing
guarantees me it'll be the same on another PC.

Thanks in advance, and please forgive me for my poor english.-

0
AlphaGma (3)

> But how do I know what's the exact name on which the location of the
> pst file is/are located?

There isn't one. The key will vary from profile to profile.=20

--=20
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
  =20
"Alpha" <AlphaGma@gmail.com> wrote in message =
> Lately I've been trying to make a little software tool that would back
> up several information, on wich PST files are included.
>=20
> I know I may find cases on which there could be more than one profile
> and each of them having one or more .pst files.
>=20
> I searched everywhere but couldn't find some certain info on where the
> information about .pst files is stored.
>=20
> However, I found this vague information:
>=20
> There's a registry key in HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows Messaging
> Subsystem\Profiles
>=20
> There is a key value named "Default Profile" with the name of the
> default profile (d'oh!) and also there's subkeys to each of the
> profiles.
>=20
> So, in HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows Messaging
> Subsystem\Profiles\<profileName>\ I would find some info on the =
profile
> settings. There's a subkey named 9207f3e0a3b11019908b08002b2a56c2, in
> which more CLSIDs are named, each one of them with different info =
(such
> as Personal Folders, Address Files, Account Info and such).
>=20
> But how do I know what's the exact name on which the location of the
> pst file is/are located? I could find that one on my PC, but nothing
> guarantees me it'll be the same on another PC.
>=20
> Thanks in advance, and please forgive me for my poor english.-

0
suemvp (4038)
10/11/2006 2:31:53 PM
In which language are you writing your "little software tool"? These properties are most accessible
to extended MAPI, for which the API is designed for C/C++.  If you are interested in how to use
extended MAPI to access this data, let me know.

"Alpha" <AlphaGma@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Lately I've been trying to make a little software tool that would back
> up several information, on wich PST files are included.
>
> I know I may find cases on which there could be more than one profile
> and each of them having one or more .pst files.
>
> I searched everywhere but couldn't find some certain info on where the
> information about .pst files is stored.
>
> However, I found this vague information:
>
> There's a registry key in HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows Messaging
> Subsystem\Profiles
>
> There is a key value named "Default Profile" with the name of the
> default profile (d'oh!) and also there's subkeys to each of the
> profiles.
>
> So, in HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows Messaging
> Subsystem\Profiles\<profileName>\ I would find some info on the profile
> settings. There's a subkey named 9207f3e0a3b11019908b08002b2a56c2, in
> which more CLSIDs are named, each one of them with different info (such
> as Personal Folders, Address Files, Account Info and such).
>
> But how do I know what's the exact name on which the location of the
> pst file is/are located? I could find that one on my PC, but nothing
> guarantees me it'll be the same on another PC.
>
> Thanks in advance, and please forgive me for my poor english.-

0
ScotB (233)
10/11/2006 2:59:30 PM
It would not be best practice to hard code any location in an application

"Alpha" <AlphaGma@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Lately I've been trying to make a little software tool that would back
> up several information, on wich PST files are included.
>
> I know I may find cases on which there could be more than one profile
> and each of them having one or more .pst files.
>
> I searched everywhere but couldn't find some certain info on where the
> information about .pst files is stored.
>
> However, I found this vague information:
>
> There's a registry key in HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows Messaging
> Subsystem\Profiles
>
> There is a key value named "Default Profile" with the name of the
> default profile (d'oh!) and also there's subkeys to each of the
> profiles.
>
> So, in HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows Messaging
> Subsystem\Profiles\<profileName>\ I would find some info on the profile
> settings. There's a subkey named 9207f3e0a3b11019908b08002b2a56c2, in
> which more CLSIDs are named, each one of them with different info (such
> as Personal Folders, Address Files, Account Info and such).
>
> But how do I know what's the exact name on which the location of the
> pst file is/are located? I could find that one on my PC, but nothing
> guarantees me it'll be the same on another PC.
>
> Thanks in advance, and please forgive me for my poor english.-

0
DL
10/11/2006 3:12:28 PM
On Oct 11, 12:12 pm, "DL" <address@invalid> wrote:
> It would not be best practice to hard code any location in an application

Thanks, and that's the very reason I'm trying to find out how do the
keys name get generated or how do they relate to the profile itself
(maybe it gets generated from the profile name, maybe from the date it
was created, or maybe it just random).

Also, forgive me for not mentioning: I'm writing this in Excel's VBA,
but I managed to get to read the registry as any other application
would.

So, Mr. Brennecke, if I could use MAPI APIs (that makes a rhyme) and
that would get me to the profile info I need, it would be great. Thank
you for any info you can give me about it (or at least, where to start
from).

0
AlphaGma (3)
10/12/2006 4:48:33 PM
Well, I finally found the way to do it. I'll post the solution as for
anyone in the future having the same trouble.

For each profile, a key is created in
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles

Let's say our profile was named "Test profile", so, the key would be:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\Test
Profile

In there, different subkeys will be created, according to the services
used by the profile, but that is beyond our purpose.

In one of them, and ONLY one of them, there will be a value called
"001e6700", it's a string value containing the path to the default pst
file.

Again, for the sake of an example, lets say in
"HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\Test
Profile" I have the following subkeys:

-055380715d92da11950000508baecadf
-065380715d92da11950000508baecadf
-0a0d020000000000c000000000000046
-13dbb0c8aa05101a9bb000aa002fc45a
-295380715d92da11950000508baecadf
-2a5380715d92da11950000508baecadf
-42acdf40ca5b11cdb7ba00aa003cf7f1
-8503020000000000c000000000000046
-9207f3e0a3b11019908b08002b2a56c2
-f85280715d92da11950000508baecadf
-f95280715d92da11950000508baecadf
-fa5280715d92da11950000508baecadf
-fe5280715d92da11950000508baecadf
-ff5280715d92da11950000508baecadf

In one and just one of them there will be a value called "001e6700",
for example, let's suppose it's located at:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\Test
Profile\065380715d92da11950000508baecadf
String Value: 001e6700
Containing: "C:\Test\test.pst"

***

Analyzing Outlook registry access with Sysinternals Regmon I found
Outlook itself queries on the different subkeys looking for the one
containing the value 001e6700, but just after reading the KB at
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278940 I realized it was unique.

Hope this helps somebody... at least it helps me, lol.

Thanks everyone for their interest.

Alpha.-

0
AlphaGma (3)

Prohibited File Type?
If someone sends me a picture file as an attachment to an email message I get shown "Prohibited File Type..file deactivated". I can see the pic in the body of the message but can't open and view the picture file by clicking it? Similarly if I try to attach a picture file to a message I send that also gives the same warning both before sending and to the recipient? The files In question are jpg files. Anyone advise please? Tools/Safety/Options/Security Uncheck - do not allow attachments to be save or opened - block images and other external content Check (op...

.xls files opening in IE rather than xls
When opening files downloaded from the web, they are opened in an IE windo rather than the appropriate Office 2003 tool (word, excel, etc.) From a previous post: There's a setting in Windows that you can change. In win98, I can do this: Start Windows Explorer View|Folder Options File Types Tab scroll down to MS Excel Worksheet Select it click the edit button There's an option to "browse in same window". Uncheck it. That's where you can toggle the "confirm open after download", too. How to Configure Internet Explorer to Open Office Documents in the Appr...

Hidden Folders and Files
I am using Windows XP pro, 2nd, service pack. For some reason, I am now unable to see my hidden files and folders, even though I was able to a short while ago. I don't know what I have done to change this. Under folder options I have selected "Display the contents of system folders" and "Show hidden files and folders" However they are not visible. Any advise? Thanks. leasider<SPAM> wrote: > I am using Windows XP pro, 2nd, service pack. > > For some reason, I am now unable to see my hidden files and folders, > even though I was able to a short ...

How do I install when "file ZF561407.CAB can not be found"

Excel 2000: File >> New menu command causes application crash
This is occurring on only one machine on a network! After saving an emailed Excel template to a standard network location for Microsoft templates, when selecting File >> New this installation of Excel 2000 crashes ("Excel not responding" on Close program dialog). On other machines there is no problem. Have "repaired" Microsoft Office using that option from the installation CD-ROM, have removed Excel from Office installation, rebooted and reinstalled Excel. No change on the problem behaviour. Everything else appears to be working just fine in this copy of Excel. We ...

Registry hack for keeping Outlook 2003 in same state as it was when last closed?
Is there a registry hack that will allow me to keep Outlook, and any opened email windows, in the same position and state that they were when I last closed Outlook 2003? For instance, there are a number of calendars and messages that I prefer to have open each time I restart Outlook 2003. Is there a registry setting that will allow Windows XP and Outlook 2003 to remember the state of all the opened windows? What do you mean exactly? Do you want them opened each time you open Outlook, or do you mean when you have Outlook open, you want them to open in the same position as the last t...

a larger window to view the files
Hello, When I click on the "FILE, OPEN" menu items I get a dialogue box showing a list of all the Excel files on my directory and then I can chose the file I want to open. Often, before I select which file I want, I need to resize the columns (Name, Size, type, modified) within that dialogue box to look at various properties and it would be ever so useful if there existed a Macro or utility that presented the list of files in a somewhat larger window so that I did not need to move the column widths each time. Needless to say, this does not just apply to Excel but that is a prog I ...

Unable to import Quicken file to Money
I am trying to import my QUICKEN 2004 data file (QDATA.QDF) into Money 2004. I followed all the directions and validated the QDATA file first, but NOTHING imports. All I get are messages that indicate "Your Quicken file contained invalid transaction types". The only transactions I have are account (Checking and Savings) transactions - debits and credits. I have tried this a number of times, and downloaded all updates to Money, but nothing ever converts. Can anyone help? You can not import Q2004 into M2004. You'll have to wait a few more days and then import it into M2...

default mail format based on domain
Greetings - After 20_ years of Eudora and Thunderbird (in that order), I'm looking at Outlook for the first time (we're moving to an Exchange backend, so...worth a look, for obvious reasons). In Thunderbird, if I want to set a default HTML format for emails sent to a certain domain, I can specify that. For any other domain(s), plain text. Is there an easy way to do that in Outlook (I'm using 2007)? Basically, I want emails sent to my enterprise domain (i.e., my place of employment) to be in HTML or perhaps RTF, but mail sent to other domains to be plain text only. Again, I want ...

get a list of file in a directory
Hi. what would be the best way to return a list of files in a directory. I know in VB you could use the dir function, but what should i use in MFC. Doen anyone know of a class available where I could say return all the file in a certain directory and its sub directories Regards Dylan Take a look at the CFileFind MFC class. -- Cheers Check Abdoul [VC++ MVP] ----------------------------------- "Dylan Franklin" <dyl2000@lineone.net> wrote in message news:eHHBr0MxDHA.2436@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Hi. > > what would be the best way to return a list of files i...

outlook cant find file MSOE.DLL
when i try to open outlook an error msg comes up - cannot locate file MSOE.DLL. when i went to start, find, folder/files and searched for it i found it. how can i fix the problem please help. If you're using XP, it should be in the Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\Outlook Express. This implies that it associates with the user who's logged into the system. Are you logging in as User Name in the above example? If not, that's why it can't find it. Further help is available in MSOE.TXT in the same sub-directory. Good Luck! <dinky_devil@hotmail.com> wrote...

Visio File Summary Dialog Box is showing wrong file name and size
Hi all, I am using Visio 2003 ActiveX Control in my application using VB.NET 2005. I am calling "visCmdFileSummaryInfoDlg" Command to open File Summary Dialog Box. Dialog Box is open successfully but it always showing Template file size instead of open file size in General Tab. The information it shows is: Type: Microsoft Visio Drawing Location: Size :(928 bytes) Based on: Template - ValueStreamMap.vst Can any one let me know about any property or way so that it shows correct file size? Thanks Asif Can we assume that the new drawing has been saved to disk before you call th...

2 mirror files with :1 and :2
Not sure how, but have 1 excel file, lets call it FILEA.xls and when I open it, it opens a FILEA:1 and a FILEA:2 workbook. Any change made to FILEA:1 gets repeated in FILEA:2 and vice versa. Looks like some sort of mirroring, or changes being tracked, but track changes is turned off. Any help is appreciated! Hi you've opened two windows of the same workbook (from the window /new window menu) - just close one and then save - this should solve the problem Cheers JulieD "DJR" <DJR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F0F6BDF5-9DC2-486E-947C-ABBB6C4544...

Change Default When Selecting New Message From Form
Whenever I select New -> Choose Form, it defaults to "Organizational Forms Library" (which is empty). How can I make it default to "User Templates in File System"? Thanks. I've been looking for a way to do that for years, but have never found = one. FYI, there is a newsgroup specifically for Outlook forms issues = "down the hall" at microsoft.public.outlook.program_forms or, via web = interface, at = http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?dg=3Dmicroso= ft.public.outlook.program_forms --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Con...

Outlook Data File Not Closing Properly
I always get the following error message when starting Outlook 2002 (running Office XP and Windows XP) : "The data file 'outlook' was not closed properly. The file is being checked for problems." I get this message everytime (whether I hibernate or shut down) when I start Outlook. This checking of the file can take anywhere from 30 seconds to 5 minutes and is very frustrating. Anyone have any idea what the issue is ? This started happening just after I installed XP SP3. ...

Simple question
I have an xls sheet that always print 6 copies. When ever I want to print, I have to change it to 1 copy. It's only this one xls sheet. Everything else prints 1 copy like it's suppose to. It's not the printer settings. Like I said, it's just this one xls sheet. Can someone tell me how to make it print 1 copy only and then stay as 1 as the defualt. I have made many changes to the sheet and saved it many times, but it always defaults to 6 copies. Very Strange. Thanks in advance. Phil If maybe as simple as this, as each page can have the page count se individua...

Evey time I create a new document and save it, it defaults to template
I am using excel 2003. Evey time I create a new document and save it, it defaults to template - xlt. To create a document I just do new -> blank document. How can i fix this? thanks Tools>Options>Transition. Save Excel Files As. Change to MS Excel Workbook. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Fri, 5 Feb 2010 17:54:26 -0600, "Greg" <greg@nospam.com> wrote: >I am using excel 2003. >Evey time I create a new document and save it, it defaults to template - >xlt. >To create a document I just do new -> blank document. > >How...

Incompatible file format.
Have been using Money for years and have Money Deluxe 2007 installed on both my home (Vista) machine and my notebook (XP) machine. Problem is when I go on the road and take my Money file with me, my XP machine says that the file is incompatible and was created with a newer or updated version of Money. Both machines have the same version and are both include the latest updates. What gives? Did Microsoft create something in Vista that precludes using the Money file under any other operating system? I may have to switch to Quicken or even a Linux version if they keep this up.............

OS 8.6 Office '98 no "File/Save" in Word
OS 8.6 Office '98 All of the sudden, there is no "File/Save" in Word. Not that is grayed out, it just is NOT there at all. The first time this happened, a reboot got it back, now that doesn't work. In article <cf47e17c.0409130841.490a65f9@posting.google.com>, jmorse@premier1.net (James Morse) wrote: > OS 8.6 Office '98 > > All of the sudden, there is no "File/Save" in Word. Not that is grayed > out, it just is NOT there at all. > > The first time this happened, a reboot got it back, now that doesn't > work. Choose Tools/Cus...

How to save the value in the CEdit control to a text file?
Im generating a random number to the CEdit control and now i want t save all of this value to a text file. I dont know to code it in the way of MFC. I hope whose know it can send me the soding cause im running out the time to do my project thanks You can use GetWindowText to get its contents and then use CStdioFile class to write the text. MSDN has enough documentation on this. -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com "TLee" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F730B5D6-85F7-45D9-80D9-C43598FA47B6@microsoft.com... | Im generating a random numbe...

Converting bidirectional text files to and from ANSI
I need to convert bidirectional text files to and from ANSI format. Excel refers me to a "ConvText.exe" file that I do not have. Does anyone have this file or how can I get the file. Using excel 2002. I had never heard of Bidirectional text files, so I googled and found this: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HP052626761033.aspx Convert bidirectional text files to and from ANSI And the top of that web page started with: The ConvText utility is available on the installation CDs for Microsoft Office language versions that offer right-to-left support. So if you'...

Is a mail having an attachment
I want to create a report based on the log file located at \Excsrver\Tracking.log in MS Exchange Server 5.5. Using the log file, how will I know that a mail was having an attachment or not ? ...

How to change default cell formats
When I open a file, all negative values are shown with a - before them, whilst my colleagues, when opening the same file, the negatives are shown in brackets ie. ( ). How do I ensure that when I open the same file, my negative numbers appear in brackets This is a windows setting. Close excel Change that windows regional setting|currency tab|Negative currency format to show ($1.1) Open excel You may have to reformat: Format|Cells|number tab|Number (adjust the decimal places and comma options) Easty04 wrote: > > When I open a file, all negative values are shown with a - before t...

Default print is 20800 copies!
I'm using Excel:Mac 2001 on a Mac running OS 9.2 When I open the document and print, it prints one copy. However, when I send the document to colleagues using Excel X for Ma on OS X, and they hit print, the default number of copies shows a 20800. (And if they don't pay attention, the printer dutifully start printing the twenty thousand copies). Any solutions? Where can I adjust the default print number in Excel X? Thank -- Tim_ ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Tim_E's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&user...

lost pst password
Appear to have lost(forgotten) the password for a pst archive file. Keeps promting for password and nothing I enter is correct. Is there a way to reset the password? Unable to right click to get to properties on the archive.pst folder to change password. Get message that "set of folders could not be opened and the serveris not available." Running XP2002 full verion of Outlook. No exchange server since it just on one computer(mine). http://www.nehuenmultimedia.com.ar/html/outlook-password.shtml You might have to pay for the program to get the password for your PST file...