Default Folder for PST files?

I have a slightly different question relating to the above:

I already have my current & archive pst files stored in my own personal
folders.

When I want to open my archive folder I right-click Outlook Today & select
'Open Outlook Data File'.

Everytime, Outlook defaults to its own path  (Documents &
Settings\User\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\)

This is really annoying & I would like it to default to opening a customised
path, such as C:\Mail\

Any suggestions?

--
Cheers,

James Goodman

0
James

Hi James,
if you want to displace your pst file, please close outlook and move it to
your folder.
After opening outlook again, it will ask you where your pst file is.

--
Gestern gings noch, ICH habe nichts gemacht! ;-)
Bravestar@Datenschutzministerium.de
"James" <jamesATnorton-associates.co.ukREMOVE> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

0
A.Roeder (118)
7/14/2004 8:19:46 AM
Hi James,
As far as I know, Outlook will always direct to the
default folder set by MS. I would think this is to have
users save their pst files in the same location. This
makes troubleshooting and finding the pst file much
easier.
Christian

0
anonymous (74722)
7/14/2004 8:39:44 AM
Yes, but it is damn annoying when you want to change this default path!

--
Cheers,

James Goodman
> Hi James,
> As far as I know, Outlook will always direct to the
> default folder set by MS. I would think this is to have
> users save their pst files in the same location. This
> makes troubleshooting and finding the pst file much
> easier.
> Christian

0
James
7/14/2004 9:10:54 AM
Hi James,
look here
http://www.slipstick.com/config/attachfolder.htm
--
Gestern gings noch, ICH habe nichts gemacht! ;-)
Bravestar@Datenschutzministerium.de

0
A.Roeder (118)
7/14/2004 9:16:15 AM
Add or modify the following registry key (string value)
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\ForcePSTPath

where 11.0 is your version of Outlook

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
www.howto-outlook.com

Tips of the month:
-Backup and Restore

-----
"James" <jamesATnorton-associates.co.ukREMOVE> wrote in message
>I have a slightly different question relating to the above:
>
> I already have my current & archive pst files stored in my own personal
> folders.
>
> When I want to open my archive folder I right-click Outlook Today & select
> 'Open Outlook Data File'.
>
> Everytime, Outlook defaults to its own path  (Documents &
> Settings\User\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\)
>
> This is really annoying & I would like it to default to opening a
> customised
> path, such as C:\Mail\
>

> Any suggestions?
>
> --
> Cheers,
>
> James Goodman

0
Roady
7/14/2004 10:54:52 AM
I have added this with a value of C:\

However, it now defaults to my 'My Documents' folder???

--
Cheers,

James Goodman
message news:%23MFTFDZaEHA.3996@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Add or modify the following registry key (string value)
> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\ForcePSTPath
>
> where 11.0 is your version of Outlook

> Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
> www.howto-outlook.com
>
> Tips of the month:
> -Backup and Restore
> -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3
>
> -----
> "James" <jamesATnorton-associates.co.ukREMOVE> wrote in message
> >I have a slightly different question relating to the above:
> >
> > I already have my current & archive pst files stored in my own personal
> > folders.
> >
> > When I want to open my archive folder I right-click Outlook Today &
select
> > 'Open Outlook Data File'.
> >
> > Everytime, Outlook defaults to its own path  (Documents &
> > Settings\User\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\)
> >
> > This is really annoying & I would like it to default to opening a
> > customised
> > path, such as C:\Mail\
> >

> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > --
> > Cheers,
> >
> > James Goodman

0
James
7/15/2004 2:32:37 PM
Well, you can point My Documents where you like by changing the properties
of it from the desktop - I always redirect it anyway, as I don't like
storing data in the default profile folders at all - for standalone
computers/workgroups, I use c:\data and subfolders therein.

James wrote:
> I have added this with a value of C:\
>
> However, it now defaults to my 'My Documents' folder???
>

> James Goodman
> "Roady [MVP]" <newsgroups_DELETE_@_DELETE_sparnaaij_NO_._SPAM_net>
> wrote in message news:%23MFTFDZaEHA.3996@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> Add or modify the following registry key (string value)
>> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\ForcePSTPath
>>
>> where 11.0 is your version of Outlook
>>
>> --
>> Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
>> www.howto-outlook.com
>>
>> Tips of the month:
>> -Backup and Restore
>> -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3
>>
>> -----
>> "James" <jamesATnorton-associates.co.ukREMOVE> wrote in message
>>> I have a slightly different question relating to the above:
>>>
>>> I already have my current & archive pst files stored in my own
>>> personal folders.
>>>
>>> When I want to open my archive folder I right-click Outlook Today &
>>> select 'Open Outlook Data File'.
>>>
>>> Everytime, Outlook defaults to its own path  (Documents &
>>> Settings\User\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\)
>>>
>>> This is really annoying & I would like it to default to opening a
>>> customised
>>> path, such as C:\Mail\
>>>

>>> Any suggestions?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> James Goodman

0
lanwench (7567)

Corrupt money data file
I've posted this on the Money UK site but with no reaction ; I wonder if I can reach a larger audience on here - I'm desperate to sort this out, thanks. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- On running Money, I received a message "Money has encountered a problem and needs to close" - no indication of what the problem was. I couldn't get past the splach screen I found article 836197 in the knowledge base which seems to covers this ; did what it advised, even to the extent of doing an uninstall and re-install, but ...

wrting spreadsheet to csv file
In spreadsheet I have Monitor 15" in A1. I wrtie this spreadsheet as txt file where values are seperated with tabular sign and after that when I edit this file I have "Monitor 15""". Why Excell adds this 3 """" ? Is there anything I can do to force excel not to add unexpected " ? It is the inch symbol (") that is doing it. Why not use: Monitor 15 in best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "tomek" <adres_w_tresci> wrote in message news:47651625$0$19148$f...

How to keep loaded file's format intact?
Hello, I am loading into spreadsheet .csv file, where each field is enclosed in quotation marks, and separated by the comma. Each line looks like this: "No name"," 1 555 2340553","2009-09-07 14:55:08","","No Dialtone. Line is not connected or it is in use.","8" That file loads nicely into spreadsheet, each field into its own cell. However, when saving it, the format (quotation marks) is gone. I need to preserve that quotations marks. The reason for it is that some data may contain commas which are not field s...

Office Power Point Viewer 2007 won't open ".pps" files
Using Windows 7, Home Premium, 32 bit. No Office 2007 installed. Using Microsoft Works. Have experienced several issues with Office PPT Viewer 2007. Cleared them, but additionally each time I try to open a .pps file, either from the Desktop or Windows Mail, I receive the following: "C:\Users|AMD\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\TemporaryInternetFiles\content.IE5\E7D22GOW\Gathering of Mustangs and Legends2007.pps is not a valid Win32 application". I have opened this file many times on another computer, so don't think it is an issue with the file. The software has be...

2007 Public Folder Replicas
In my 2007 design I have two boxes with the HT/CAS roles installed and a CCR cluster (which doesn't support public folder replicas apparently). So where will my PF replicas live? Will this require yet another server? ...

Outlook address book
I have a few outlook address book - public folders and wish to export them out to another users profile. How does one export them out? i.e. under contacts on the left side there is a contacts folder, but when I click on the address book icon near the top of outlook about 12 address books come up. These are the ones I wish to export. Thanks John <john@edd.com> wrote: > I have a few outlook address book - public folders and wish to export > them out to another users profile. If they're in public folders, what's the point of exporting them? The user can just op...

PDF file #5

Public Folder Permissions Trusted Domains
Setup: We have a 4 separate 2000 active directory domains on the same network. One of the servers runs exchange 2000 and hosts the mail for all domains. There are trusts setup between the exchange server domain and each of the other three domains. Mail works fine, we have duplicate accounts on the exchange server for the mailboxes. Here's the problem: There are public folders that we need to add author permissions to for users that login to the other domains, not the exchange server domain. A user in any domain can add a public folder, and then they have the permnissions as owner, b...

Sending a copy of an incoming email to a network folder
Is there example code to do the following: You receive an email like: TID(123) This is the subject The email goes to your inbox as usual, but since it's a "TID(" it moves it to its matching folder on the network: \\myserver\myemail\TID(123)? Thanks for any code examples, methods, or suggestions. RBollinger Since you want it to be saved automatically, you'll need an event handler. See http://www.codeforexcelandoutlook.com/outlook-vba/stock-event-= code/ for starter code. To save the message, use the MailItem.SaveAs method. http://msdn.microsoft.com/e...

suggested ways to manipulate XML files in .Net?
Hi everyone, I'm going to manipulate some XML files in my next project-- crawl through the tags, compare if file X has the same nodes as file Y, and if not, what the differences are and who's missing what. I'll also be comparing values between nodes in the two files, for when both documents do have the same named nodes. What .Net classes should I be looking at to accomplish these tasks? Thanks a bunch. Steve Hershoff wrote: > I'm going to manipulate some XML files in my next project-- crawl through > the tags, compare if file X has the same nodes as file Y, and...

Saving chart as an image file
I want to create a pie chart in Microsoft Excel, then save it as an image file (.jpg or .gif) so I can put it on a website. How do I do this? Secondly, as I create my pie chart, how do I set my data labels? I want to change them from the default (numbers) to my own description for each slice. Jon Peltier has some instructions in his Excel Charting FAQ article for exporting a chart in gif format: http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=209#jon008 To add your own labels to the chart, you can use Rob Bovey's XY Chart Labeler. It's a free add-in that yo...

Integration Manager--log file name?
Is there any way to know the name of the log file (we're writing our logs to text file) from within one of the "After" integration events? If we're successful, we need to send the user an email telling them that the event is successful. We're currently cycling through the whole folder to find the latest one, but if there were a variable in the Integration Manager VBScripts that I could use, that would be much better. Thanks. PSC: If I recall correctly, IM has a Document Error and Integration Error event in the integration properties. Rather than looking at the...

Excel 2007 and Word 2007 Hangs when using the File -> Open command
I have a couple users that when they have Excel 2007 or Word 2007 open, and click the File -> Open option, and choose a file, it either takes about 3 minutes to open the file or the program will crash. If they were to double click on the documents or spreadsheets, the doc or sheet will open right up. This is happening on the user's Hard drive as well as network drives. Once you get a file opened in Word or Excel, however, the next time you go to File -> Open, it's really fast to open the file. ...

File Sharing between XP Pro and XP Home
I have a few questions concerning file sharing between XP Pro and XP Home in a Workgroup environment. I would really appreciate any help. 1)From what I'm gathering on the internet (I've read multiple articles) you cannot even connect a Windows XP Home computer to a domain. I'm I interpreting this correctly? 2)I have a new server with XP Pro and 5 other computers with XP Home. I only have 3 computers (which includes the new XP Pro server) that really need access to everything (or the main folders) on the server. The other 3 computers need limited access. If I purchase X...

Public Folders: "Document not saved"
Infrastructure Background: Exchange 2000 running on Windows Server 2000 Desktop: Windows Professional 2000 with Outlook 2000 client. Problem: People are receiving the following error message whilst trying to save Office documents into a Public Folder: "The disc is full. Free some space on this drive or save document on another disc. Try one of the following: Close any unneeded windows or save the document on another disc" Investigation reveals: 1) The is over 80GB of free disk space on the server the Public Folder data is stored on 2) The people concerned have suffient permiss...

Can I use Rule to move digitally signed messages to separate folder?
Is there a way to move digitally signed messages to a separate folder using a Rule? Other options for segregating digitally signed messages? Thanks in advance. deko <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote: > Is there a way to move digitally signed messages to a separate folder > using a Rule? Other options for segregating digitally signed > messages? I don't see that as a selection criterion in the Rules wizard. -- Brian Tillman ...

linked files
When I open a file it says it is linked to another file. When I check the links it is linked to a file I no longer have. How do I find where the link is coming from and get rid of it. Going to the Edit Links doesn't seem to get rid of the file. Charlie C Try Bill Manville's excellent "FindLink" utility .. It's available at Stephen Bullen's page: http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/Def�ault.htm -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- GMT+8, 1� 22' N 103� 45' E xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot>com ---- "Charlie 5280" <Charlie 5280@discussions.microsoft.com>...

How can I access a file in Outlook Public Folder by VBscript
It does not have to be VBscript.. I need sync the file with my local harddrive... Thanks. Nix wrote: > It does not have to be VBscript.. > I need sync the file with my local harddrive... > > Thanks. Why does it need to be a script at all? You can add your public folder to your PF\Favorites (drag it there) and include it in your send/receive settings for offline use with your OST file. ...

Retrieve .pst files
My PC at work is upgraded from windows NT to Windows 2000. Before upgrade I backed up all the outlook 2000 .pst files. Now I have outlook 2003. I unable to retreive .pst files. viji.pst file is available under C:\Documents and Settings\jviji\Local settings\Applicationdata/microsoft/outlook. From outlook menu file -> data file management ->add -> outlook 97-2002 personal folder.pst -> viji.pst prompts to enter passwd. Please reply how do I retrieve the passwd protected .pst file. This are very important emails. Please reply. Thanks Viji Viji Jayaraman <jviji@ems.att.co...

"Can't Create Backup FIle. Save [filename] Without Backp?
I get the following message every so often when running Excel 2003 under Win XP: "Can't create backup file. Save [finename] without backup?" I respond: "OK" "Your changes could not be saved to [filename] because of a sharing violation. Try saving to a different file." I respond: "OK". It presents me with the standard window allowing me to enter a new filename, which I do, then press OK. Then I get: "Do you want to save the changes you made to [fileename]? I respond: "Yes" "Document not saved." This is VERY annoying. I am t...

Recovered Folder
How can I stop having a post from going into the recovered Folder and also why does it go there?? Thank You In Advance Doug That typically happens when Windows Live Mail wasn't closed down properly. One cause is power failures. --=20 Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/profile/vandermolen "Doug" <DugGliss@removemegmail.com> wrote in message = news:OGkdgo8aKHA.2680@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > How can I stop having a post from going into the recovered Folder and = also=20 > why does it go there?...

Linking Outlook fields from the "Contact Folder" to a custom form in Outlook...
Using Exchange Server 2003/Outlook 2003, we have created a custom Help Desk form in Outlook. We would like the ability to link specific fields from the Contacts Folder (Example B), in a drop-down list box if possible. We are far from knowing that something like this is even possible. Would appreciate *any* suggestions. Thank you. ...

Why my default number format changed
I am using Excel 2007. From time to time, I found the default number format changed when I open an exiting excel file. For example, originally its default format was "General", but when I open the file, found it changed to "Custom". How is it happened? How can I prevent? How can I fix it. Thanks in advance! ...

Money Backup File Security
I regularly take backup of my money file. I secure my money software with a password also. My question is regarding the security of the backup file. When I take a backup do I need to remember the password also? Let's say I took a backup a month ago and after that I changed my money password. And for reasons unknown I forgot the password which I had set when I took the backup. In the event of failure when I try to restore it from that backup will it ask me for a password? If yes, which one? If not - then is it not a security breach considering the fact that the backup CD might be sto...

how do i import all emails and folders from sbcglobal.net into out
Do you have a question ??? Read the following http://66.39.69.143/goodpost.htm --=20 Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "sysdyne" <sysdyne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message = news:40E4C3CA-74DA-4534-AC01-F48E98772648@microsoft.com... > "sysdyne" <sysdyne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:40E4C3CA-74DA-4534-AC01-F48E98772648@microsoft.com... <nothing> When you ask a question, don't limit yourself to the subject. It can be ...