Default Folder for PST files?

I have a slightly different question relating to the above:

I already have my current & archive pst files stored in my own personal
folders.

When I want to open my archive folder I right-click Outlook Today & select
'Open Outlook Data File'.

Everytime, Outlook defaults to its own path  (Documents &
Settings\User\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\)

This is really annoying & I would like it to default to opening a customised
path, such as C:\Mail\

Any suggestions?

--
Cheers,

James Goodman

0
James

Hi James,
if you want to displace your pst file, please close outlook and move it to
your folder.
After opening outlook again, it will ask you where your pst file is.

--
Gestern gings noch, ICH habe nichts gemacht! ;-)
Bravestar@Datenschutzministerium.de
"James" <jamesATnorton-associates.co.ukREMOVE> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

0
A.Roeder (118)
7/14/2004 8:19:46 AM
Hi James,
As far as I know, Outlook will always direct to the
default folder set by MS. I would think this is to have
users save their pst files in the same location. This
makes troubleshooting and finding the pst file much
easier.
Christian

0
anonymous (74722)
7/14/2004 8:39:44 AM
Yes, but it is damn annoying when you want to change this default path!

--
Cheers,

James Goodman
> Hi James,
> As far as I know, Outlook will always direct to the
> default folder set by MS. I would think this is to have
> users save their pst files in the same location. This
> makes troubleshooting and finding the pst file much
> easier.
> Christian

0
James
7/14/2004 9:10:54 AM
Hi James,
look here
http://www.slipstick.com/config/attachfolder.htm
--
Gestern gings noch, ICH habe nichts gemacht! ;-)
Bravestar@Datenschutzministerium.de

0
A.Roeder (118)
7/14/2004 9:16:15 AM
Add or modify the following registry key (string value)
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\ForcePSTPath

where 11.0 is your version of Outlook

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
www.howto-outlook.com

Tips of the month:
-Backup and Restore

-----
"James" <jamesATnorton-associates.co.ukREMOVE> wrote in message
>I have a slightly different question relating to the above:
>
> I already have my current & archive pst files stored in my own personal
> folders.
>
> When I want to open my archive folder I right-click Outlook Today & select
> 'Open Outlook Data File'.
>
> Everytime, Outlook defaults to its own path  (Documents &
> Settings\User\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\)
>
> This is really annoying & I would like it to default to opening a
> customised
> path, such as C:\Mail\
>

> Any suggestions?
>
> --
> Cheers,
>
> James Goodman

0
Roady
7/14/2004 10:54:52 AM
I have added this with a value of C:\

However, it now defaults to my 'My Documents' folder???

--
Cheers,

James Goodman
message news:%23MFTFDZaEHA.3996@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Add or modify the following registry key (string value)
> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\ForcePSTPath
>
> where 11.0 is your version of Outlook

> Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
> www.howto-outlook.com
>
> Tips of the month:
> -Backup and Restore
> -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3
>
> -----
> "James" <jamesATnorton-associates.co.ukREMOVE> wrote in message
> >I have a slightly different question relating to the above:
> >
> > I already have my current & archive pst files stored in my own personal
> > folders.
> >
> > When I want to open my archive folder I right-click Outlook Today &
select
> > 'Open Outlook Data File'.
> >
> > Everytime, Outlook defaults to its own path  (Documents &
> > Settings\User\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\)
> >
> > This is really annoying & I would like it to default to opening a
> > customised
> > path, such as C:\Mail\
> >

> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > --
> > Cheers,
> >
> > James Goodman

0
James
7/15/2004 2:32:37 PM
Well, you can point My Documents where you like by changing the properties
of it from the desktop - I always redirect it anyway, as I don't like
storing data in the default profile folders at all - for standalone
computers/workgroups, I use c:\data and subfolders therein.

James wrote:
> I have added this with a value of C:\
>
> However, it now defaults to my 'My Documents' folder???
>

> James Goodman
> "Roady [MVP]" <newsgroups_DELETE_@_DELETE_sparnaaij_NO_._SPAM_net>
> wrote in message news:%23MFTFDZaEHA.3996@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> Add or modify the following registry key (string value)
>> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\ForcePSTPath
>>
>> where 11.0 is your version of Outlook
>>
>> --
>> Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
>> www.howto-outlook.com
>>
>> Tips of the month:
>> -Backup and Restore
>> -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3
>>
>> -----
>> "James" <jamesATnorton-associates.co.ukREMOVE> wrote in message
>>> I have a slightly different question relating to the above:
>>>
>>> I already have my current & archive pst files stored in my own
>>> personal folders.
>>>
>>> When I want to open my archive folder I right-click Outlook Today &
>>> select 'Open Outlook Data File'.
>>>
>>> Everytime, Outlook defaults to its own path  (Documents &
>>> Settings\User\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\)
>>>
>>> This is really annoying & I would like it to default to opening a
>>> customised
>>> path, such as C:\Mail\
>>>

>>> Any suggestions?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> James Goodman

0
lanwench (7567)

help with log file
Got a database in SQL2005 that is basically a download of a daily flat text files and creating tables from them. The log.ldf file is frikkin huge. It's over 146GB and I don't need this, I have storage issues. How do I shorten down this file and keep it small forever? Hi Rocketman Have you read about managing the transaction log in the Books Online? How big is your database? What recovery model are you in? What kinds of backups are you doing, and how frequently? If you are not in SIMPLE recovery, and you don't back up your log, it will continue to grow. Even...

Folders disappearing after compacting file cabinet
Twice, now, I've lost a good chunk of e-mail I've saved in different folders because I've compacted my file cabinet. Anything with a file folder named with E or beyond gets dumped. A through D only remains. Any ideas as to what's going on? Thanks! Karen C. Did you compact or run ScanPST.EXE? I've never heard of a compact deleting valid data unless, of course, the file was damaged before running the compact. I hate to ask but do you have a backup of your PST from before this happened? "Karen C." <kcunningham @ iglou.com> wrote in message news:...

MS Excel file extension changed through e-mail
MS Excel .xlsx files sent as attachments are received without the x, as a .xls instead. The same is true for MS Word .docx changed to .doc Answered in the Word group. Please don't post the same question in multiple groups. It not only causes responders to waste their time replying to questions that have already been answered but it also makes it more difficult for you to follow up on the replies. If it truly is an issue that involves more than one app either post to the Office group rather than the individual groups or use a newsreader rather than the web interface & learn to ...

Dump file corrupt
************************************************** ************************ THIS DUMP FILE IS PARTIALLY CORRUPT. KdDebuggerDataBlock is not present or unreadable. ************************************************** ************************ Unable to read PsLoadedModuleList ************************************************** ************************ THIS DUMP FILE IS PARTIALLY CORRUPT. KdDebuggerDataBlock is not present or unreadable. ************************************************** ************************ KdDebuggerData.KernBase < SystemRangeStart Windows XP Kernel Version 2600 ...

Network File lock not detected
We have a workbook that about a dozen people get in and out of all day. I have a problem with one user's excel not always locking the file, or it could be a problem with other users not detecting the file is in use and displaying the in use message, do you want to open a read only or wait. Is there anything I can do in execel to fix that or is it a network issue. Running XP pro, office xp pro, and 2k server. From my experience, it is a network issue. They need to unlock the file because Excel cannot. Fixed it, Windows didn't have sp1 on it. For some reason it fixed the pr...

How to update contacts in WLM via csv file?
I have nearly 2,000 email addresses in my contacts list. I managed to get WLM to list them, although I do notice some are missing. Now, I want to update them with new/revised contacts through a new cvs file, which I exported from OE. However, the contacts import program just hangs and doesn't take. Do I need to delete the existing list first? If so, how do I do that? I am using WLM v.2009 Build 14.0.8 on Windows 7 Are you logging in to Live services? It will say your profile name under the close X. -- Ron Sommer "Bumper21248" wrote in message news...

pst file might be corrupted
Hi all. I am not able to view my pst file at all via my outlook 2000. I tried to recover it via scanpst but scanpst stopped halfway through the process and said that an error occured without specifying which error. Is there any other way to recover this pst file? Thks in advance. How big is the PST file? "inenewbl" <inenewbl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6FB884E0-7C9F-4064-936F-5065E257BB5B@microsoft.com... > Hi all. I am not able to view my pst file at all via my outlook 2000. I > tried > to recover it via scanpst but scanpst stopped halfway ...

VBA to call file based on date
Hello, I wonder if anyone can help me with a VBA routine to check for the presence of a specific file. The file is saved on a dialy basis in the format "userfile_run_YYYYMMDD.xls" i am seeking help with a vb code that will check if today or any specified days report is generated. i guess excel can use the date format to read the specified location for the file. Thank you in advance for your help. .....Coming from Where I'm from. Dim sFile As String sFile = Dir("C:myPath\userfile_run_" & Format(Date,"yyyymmdd") & ".xls") If s...

Incomplete Public Folder Replication
I'm running Exchange 5.5 on NT4/2000. I'd like to phase out a 5.5 box on NT4. I already migrated the mailboxes from that box to a new one running 2000 in the same Site. What's left are the Public Folders. So for that I've set up replication from the NT4 to the new 2000 box. After waiting a couple of days and checking if al folders have an in-sync replica, I found out that a whole bunch of folders, never got replicated. Reenabling them for replication, doesn't have any effect. Basically I'm stuck with an automatic process, that get's cut off with no means possible ...

"The image file ___ is valid but ...."
"The image file ________ is valid but is for a machine type other than the current machine." What does this message dialog mean on Win XP x64? It means that the program you're trying to run is 16-bit. There is NO 16-bit support in any 64-bit version of Windows. You'll need to run the application in a virtual machine running some earlier version of Windows. -- Charlie. http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel <johnsuth@nospam.com.au> wrote in message news:c1.2c.3KklK9$0TP@PC1.BIGPOND.COM... > > "The image file ________ is valid but is...

Default Value problem 02-22-08
Feel a bit silly. I want to insert a =Now() Date field on every new record created via a certain form. I don't want people seeing this info. So, I added AphaDate Date field to the table the query for this form is based on. I insert the field on the form and mark it hidden. In the properties for this field on the form, I say the default value =Now() I assume then that any new record created will "stamp" with this date. But it doesn't work When I create the table, add the field to the query and try to set this up, the field shows up as blank no matter what I do. Wha...

Is 2003 and open relay by default?
I have recently sent up an exchange 2003 server in our company. It was a fresh install on a 2003 server which is also a fresh install. Is 2003 Exchange an open relay by default? If so, how can I close it? no. by default it is closed to relaying "eotrue" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0d5b01c3d949$36fe2090$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I have recently sent up an exchange 2003 server in our > company. It was a fresh install on a 2003 server which is > also a fresh install. > > Is 2003 Exchange an open relay by default? If so, how can &g...

Selecting sub-folders
How do I select multiple sub-folders for moving at the same time? Rather than doing it one by one? Thanks mswart wrote: > How do I select multiple sub-folders for moving at the same time? Rather than > doing it one by one? > > Thanks Just like you do and have done in Windows Explorer: drag the parent folder and all the child folders tag along. ...

Closely held secrets about junk email folder
All, Within my company, we occassionally send HTML formatted emails that end up in user's junk email folders and we have no idea why. In one instance it was a message that contained a large table structure in the body of the message, but once we preceeded the table with an empty <p> tag, it succeeded in going to the intended recipients. So in this case, it really wasn't the fact that we were targetting too many individuals, or that certain words were found in the message, it was just a silly design thing (apparently) that had caused the problem. It has dawned on me that it woul...

print mass Powerpoint certificates from Excel file
I get Excel lists of students that require training certificates. I have a PowerPoint certificate. Is it possible to do something simular to a mail merge? In article <BFBA41AC-26D1-4B30-8C54-425C2E8A50F0@microsoft.com>, Go to Girl wrote: > I get Excel lists of students that require training certificates. I have a > PowerPoint certificate. Is it possible to do something simular to a mail > merge? Not out of the box, but we have a commercial PowerPoint add-in that does exactly this. You can try out a fully functional demo to see if it meets your needs. Mo...

Can Import Email Data Filed from Office XP to Office 2003
My HD failed but I had a backup of my Office XP Pro personal file folder with a lot of emails I needed. The file is about 128MB in size. I put a new HD in and installed Office 2003 Pro. When I go to open the old file Outlook 2003 says that the file "is not a personal folders file". (It was backed up to a CD ROM prior to the crash so the source file should be good.) I really don't want to uninstall Office 2003 and put back Office XP. Any idea why 2003 won't open the file and how to work around that? Many thanks in advance to anyone who knows the solution. Alan. The only pro...

Office 2k3 Beta tester woes. Cant import .pst back into xp
Hello, I am sure that there has to be a solution to this problem. I know that MS would not leave it's beta testers without a way to revert back to their old office. I have attempted to import my Outlook 2003 Beta .pst file into my Outlook XP and I get an error stating that it is not compatible. Please tell me that there is a way for me to retrieve all of my old emails. I saved the pst file, and I removed Office 2003 as per the terms of the beta license and saved a copy of my .pst file. I the re- installed Office XP. Thank you for your assistance in this matter. Mike If you c...

How? Default is current date, but user can edit if needed?
I want Start Date field to default to the current date, but allow the user to change it if needed. Start Date field has a format of Short Date with a mask __/__/__. The boss wants the field to default to the current date to eliminate keystrokes for the user. Scenario: User forgot to input data yesterday that must reflect yesterday's date. How can the field be formatted to allow the user to change the Start Date field if the field defaults to current date? When a field has a default value, it can be changed as you want. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele...

duplicated items in calender and contact folder due to palm synch
To all, all the contacts and calendar events in one of our user's Outlook got triple or more duplicated copies after he synchronized with his palm yesterday, and duplicates happened to his palm as well. to manually delete those over thousand of duplicates from Outlook will take lots of times. is there anyway we can fix that instead of restore them from backup. thanks calvin ...

How to open saved .DBX files?
I saved a folder of e-mails to CD from Outlook Express shortly before my last computer died. I desperately need to open the folder (saved as a .dbx file) by tomorrow, to get my husband (in Portugal watching the footie) the details of his hotel!!I am now running Xp and have both outlook and outlook express(office 2003) I tried open with, but selecting OE takes you into the OE files rather than selecting it as a prog.If I try open with outlook, it just appears as a folder attachment in an e-mail Can anybody help me open this wretched thing??? Ask in an Outlook Express forum. This is an...

Size mismatch between stm/edb files and mailboxes
I am puzzled! Am running out of diskspace on our exchange drive and badly need to reduce the size of the exchange database. The total size of the priv1.edb and stm files is approx 6Gb. If I add up the total size of all the mailboxes as shown in ESM it comes to approx 1.5 Gb. Running eseutil /ms and calculating the free space for both files gives me approx 1.2Gb, which is what I believe I will regain by defragging the store. So where is my remaining 3.3Gb gone!!!! The online maintanence is completing fine each night. Deleted item retention is set to 0, and we haven't deleted any ...

Sync Money Files
I have a laptop and desktop, both running Money 07. I have been away from home for three months and have been keeping my expenses in Money on my laptop. My wife has been keeping our records on the desktop. My problem is how to combine the two files so that I have one set of money files. When I cease travelling, the notebook will not be used for Money work; but the desktop will. So I need to combine the two files. Are there any solutions? Thanks, John Reid There is no easy way to do this. There aren't even many hard ones. Have you already done this or are you only pondering a re...

"Get-ClusterResource" cmdlet throws "not recognized as a cmdlet, function, operable program, or script file" error.
Hi, I am trying to use "Get-ClusterResource" cmdlet to fetch "File Share Witness" property of CCR cluster. But when I run this command no "Exchange Management Shell" I am getting "The term 'Get- ClusterResource' is not recognized as a cmdlet, function, operable program, or script file. Verify the term and try again." error. Any idea why I am getting this error? Do I need to add any "PSSnapin" via Add-PSSnapin cmdlet ? If so which one it is? Basically I am not able to run any of the cluster related GET cmdlets on Exchange Managem...

Sharing Folders in WinCE 6.0
Dear All, I need to share a folder inside the WinCE 6.0 device. So that I can copy files from Windows PC to WinCE device as we normally do in Windows PC. I would like to know any documents or links available to get this information. Any Catalog items and registry settings needs to be done while building WinCE image. Wince supports the following options to sharing the data between the PC and your device. 1) you can use ActiveSync.(SYSGEN_AS_BASE,SYSGEN_AS_FILE). ActiveSync uses serial port or USB serial client to communitate with the device. 2) you can Mass Storage cl...

Default Workgroup Information File
What's the difference between the two following choices using Security Wizard? "I want to make this my default workgroup information file." & "I want to create a shortcut to open my security-enhanced database." Does one of these apply this security to all databases? I noticed that it applies the security to my backup database that I keep on my desktop. The security is originally applied to a database that I keep in a shared network file. -- julostarr "julostarr" wrote: > What's the difference between the two following choices using Secu...