Date column defaults

Outlook's default date column is 'Best Fit'.  I'm not sure quite what this
means, but I prefer the more compact dd/mm/yyyy (UK).

Is there any way to change this globally or do I have to laboriously change
each instance?

Can I change the default for new columns?

--
Jonathan Finney

0
plegron (22)

Jonathan Finney <plegron@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Outlook's default date column is 'Best Fit'.  I'm not sure quite what
> this means, but I prefer the more compact dd/mm/yyyy (UK).

It means that Outlook decides the width of the field.  The date format
display in the field is unrelated.

> Is there any way to change this globally or do I have to laboriously
> change each instance?

Do you want to change the width of the field (what "best fit" controls)? or
the format of the date displayed in the field?  And in which view of what
folder should it be changed?
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
2/27/2006 6:21:53 PM
Hi Brian.

Thanks for the info.

If 'Best Fit' controls only the width and not the format, why is it in the
list with all the other formats?  How do I use the this independently of the
format?

Automated width control is useful and I don't want to disable it, but I
don't like the default format for the column - It takes up too much room and
I don't need the day and the time, so using just a numeric date format looks
neater (putting the day before the upsets the alignment of the data in the
column) and I find it clearer and easier to use.

I'd like to change this format globally in all views, but there doesn't
appear to be any way to do this.  I've already changed this in most views,
column by column.  I just noticed that new folders appear to inherit these
properties from the parent folder, so I guess I needn't worry about new
folders.  Are there other instances where Outlook will use a date column and
use the default?

--
Jonathan Finney

> Jonathan Finney <plegron@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Outlook's default date column is 'Best Fit'.  I'm not sure quite what
>> this means, but I prefer the more compact dd/mm/yyyy (UK).
>
> It means that Outlook decides the width of the field.  The date format
> display in the field is unrelated.
>
>> Is there any way to change this globally or do I have to laboriously
>> change each instance?
>
> Do you want to change the width of the field (what "best fit" controls)?
> or the format of the date displayed in the field?  And in which view of
> what folder should it be changed?
> --
> Brian Tillman

0
plegron (22)
2/28/2006 10:35:47 AM
Jonathan Finney <plegron@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Outlook's default date column is 'Best Fit'.  I'm not sure quite what
> this means, but I prefer the more compact dd/mm/yyyy (UK).

I think the choices the drop-down presents may be tied to the Regional
Options you set in Windows Control Panel, but I'm not in a position to test
that.

> Is there any way to change this globally or do I have to laboriously
> change each instance?

You can modify the View and any folder using that view will change.  See
this for the techniques:  http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/grouping.htm
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)

how to I block text not to break across columns or pages ?
I want to keep certain text together and not have it split apart over columns or on a new page: like several lines comprising an address in an address book -- I want to keep it all together. Either apply a style with the Keep With Next paragraph format option to all but the last of the paragraphs you wish to keep together or Use Shift+Enter to make a line break within the same paragraph -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MV...

update the same cell into another column forming a list on opening
hi there, i have made a spreadsheet to enter data and then view the resulting statistics that are generated, i have one cell that changes in value after entering the data, and i would like to keep a record of what values this cell has been, i was after a formula that would update that single cell's value into a column forming a list each time the spreadsheet was opened or the value in the cell changed, like a field perhaps, this would fill up the column with a list of results from which to generate more stats and a graph etc. any help would be great, thank you -- thank...

How do I add column A data labels to a scatter of columns B and C?
I have made a scatter plot using columns B and C as my x and y coordinates. I would like to use the data in column A to label my points. I already have the XY chart labeler 97 installed and selected, but I don't know how to get the data labels to show up on my graph. Thank you! Hi Christina - There are a couple of well written Excel add-ins you can download to do this: Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, http://appspro.com John Walkenbach's Chart Tools, http://j-walk.com Both are free downloads, they install easily, and they integrate into Excel's interface very nicely. They l...

Problem with xy scatter with dates
I am trying to create an x-y scatter chart where both the x values and the y values are dates. I highlight the 2 adjacent columns of date data and click on Insert>Scatter. Instead of a scatter graph, I get a line chart with 2 lines (the two data columns). The x values on the graph are simply a count of the data points as in a line chart. If the 2 columns of data are not dates, I get the correct scatter chart, but not if the x-values are dates in which case I get a line chart. How can I get a scatter chart with both x-values and y-values as dates? You could select just the Y val...

Make Table Query
I have a Macro and at the end of the Macro I have a Make Table Query that I would like to automatically save as todays date in the current database. Does anybody have an idea on how I can do this? On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 11:40:24 -0700, dswiders@gmail.com wrote: >I have a Macro and at the end of the Macro I have a Make Table Query >that I would like to automatically save as todays date in the current >database. Does anybody have an idea on how I can do this? A date is just a field value. Saving today's date as a Table is almost certainly VERY bad design. Why do an expensive, awk...

Add Actual End Date to Resolved Cases view
Hi We would like to add the actual end date to the Case General Tab or possibly to the Resolved Cases and/or My Resolved Cases view. I know that the Actual End Date is available on the Service Activity and Case Resolution but this field is not available for the Case. Any workaround for this? Thanks Mark ...

Fixed Number of Columns
After manipulating data in Excel I would like to copy and paste the data in a text editor. The data should be in fixed format, for example integer numbers should end in columns with multiples of 5. The text is then used as input to an old fashioned program which requires that the data be aligned I changed the font in Excel to Courrier New and then selected a column width of 5. When I copy the data to a text editor it copies some tab marks and the columns do not align. How can I make things align in the text editor? Vino, You can use a macro: copy the code below, then paste into a module...

Date Picker
Hello, Is there a DatePicker in Excel 2007 so I can pick a date when I focus on a cell? If not, where can I get one? Thanks, Miguel Look here: http://www.rondebruin.nl/calendar.htm -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "shapper" <mdmoura@gmail.com> wrote in message news:776296c8-83d8-467e-aefb-c31b24446bf7@b15g2000yqd.googlegroups.com... > Hello, > > Is there a DatePicker in Excel 2007 so I can pick a date when I focus > on a cell? > > If not, where can I get one? > > Thanks, > Miguel ...

Locking a column. Excel, 2002.
I don't know if locking is the correct phraseology and perhaps that is why I can't find an answer. In column A are the numbers, 1, 2, 3, and so on and I want these numbers to remain stationary (they are the rank ordering) when I do a sort on another column (say H). -- Regards Ron Badour Select the range that you want to sort, but avoid column A. Then sort your data. If you let excel guess at the range, it'll think that you may want all the contiguous columns sorted. Personally, I would sort that column, too. But I'd fill it with a formula like: =row()-1 (headers...

Dates are not displayed in ComboBox
I have a From ComboBox and a To ComboBox on a Form; cboFrom and cboTo. The Row Source is this: SELECT DISTINCT SharePrices.DateTime FROM SharePrices ORDER BY SharePrices.DateTime; The SQL is this: SELECT DISTINCT SharePrices.DateTime FROM SharePrices ORDER BY SharePrices.DateTime; Nothing is showing in either ComboBox; all I see is a whole bunch of blanks. I just did this in another form in another Access database. I can’t figure out why it’s not working for me now. I’m using Access 2007. I’d sincerely appreciate any insight with this. Thanks! Ryan -- Ryan--...

Year to date sales history of inventory
How can this system provide me with cumulative sales numbers of a particular item ie: How many total gym shorts did we sell in 12 months? Detailed Sales Report with a custom date range. In the body of the report look at the top line (Overall) that will give you the answer you seek my child. Now go caterpillar blossom into a butterfly. Rob "KatieH" wrote: > How can this system provide me with cumulative sales numbers of a particular > item ie: How many total gym shorts did we sell in 12 months? Musta got a new batch o glue, huh? (g) KatieH To pick up where Rob started...

Conditional formatting with dates formula problem.
Hello. I appreciate help on this topic. I'm very new to excel's conditional formatting capabilities and I need help on the following: I have a worksheet where I am using columns A and B to be fashioned into a type of "reverse" library checkout card; I want to flag when 120 days have passed since an item has been checked out. All cells are blank with the exception of the formatting applied to cells in column A. For example, Condition 1 on cell A1 has the formula: =IF(ISBLANK(B1),(A1-TODAY())<120) **I've also tried =IF(ISBLANK($B1),($A1-TODAY())<120) My objecti...

How does one print the columns from a Visio ERD diagram?
I see them but can't print them. ...

Excel 2000... Missing row and column designators.
Ho do you mean 'Tools - Options - View' and check 'Row/Column headings' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Clarence" <carowe@cnyconnect.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:2ee7401c46c21$a45aef40$a501280a@phx.gbl... > ...

Excel 2003 - VBA
Does anyone have and idea how to create the date of the last day of the previous month? Craig Hi Craig =Dateserial(year(date), month(date), 0) HTH. Best wishes Harald "Craig Brandt" <brandtcraig@att.net> wrote in message news:yvVxk.22131$89.8111@nlpi069.nbdc.sbc.com... > Does anyone have and idea how to create the date of the last day of the > previous month? > > Craig > > =TODAY()-DAY(TODAY()) -- __________________________________ HTH Bob "Craig Brandt" <brandtcraig@att.net> wrote in message news:yvVxk.22131$89.8111@nlpi069.nb...

Why are my columns and rows reversed when I open Excel
When I open my Excel spreadsheet the columns, rows and scroll bars are reversed?? What's happened? Tools|options|International Tab Uncheck that "view current sheet right-to-left" Deb Web wrote: > > When I open my Excel spreadsheet the columns, rows and scroll bars are > reversed?? What's happened? -- Dave Peterson ...

Merging queries by column in access
Hi, I have a series of queries which get data aggregated by year, e.g. select year(date), min(var1), avg(var1), max(var1) from table where (ridiculously complicated set of conditions) group by year(date) select year(date), min(var2), avg(var2), max(var2) from table where (entirely different ridiculously complicated set of conditions) group by year(date) etc etc There are six queries like this so what I want is to amalgamate these columns together into one results table (and also into one query so users can just run one stored query rather than six!) as follows: year, m...

Access autonumber field changes to date format when Excel imports
When importing Access data into Excel, the autonumber field in Access is chenged to date format instead of a general number format. I could run a macro to change the number format but this only happens on some Vista machines, not all. Any suggestions as to why this is happening? ...

Is there any way to use the MATCH function with more than 1 column
For example, =MATCH(215, Y3:Y51, 0) will search from Y3 to Y51 for the value 215, but my data set spans more than one column. My data set ranges from A3 to Z51, and the function =MATCH(215, A3:Z51, 0) returns an #N/A error. What can I do? Do you want both the row and column ? Two separate values? -- Gary's Student "Mr. Snrub" wrote: > For example, =MATCH(215, Y3:Y51, 0) will search from Y3 to Y51 for the value > 215, but my data set spans more than one column. > > My data set ranges from A3 to Z51, and the function =MATCH(215, A3:Z51, 0) > returns an #...

Columns in Money 2004
Is there any way to change the default columns in the register view ? I really dont want the flagged column, and would like to include a column for categories. Is it possible to do this ? In microsoft.public.money, VerticalCobra wrote: >Is there any way to change the default columns in the register view ? I >really dont want the flagged column, and would like to include a column for >categories. Is it possible to do this ? No. Try Ctrl+T to toggle to multi-line display and back. ...

What date was a batch created
I'm in GP v8.0. I need to know what date a user created and/or saved a batch. I've looked all over and there doesn't seem to be any trail when a batch was created/saved short of turning on the User Tracking system. Please get back to me ASAP - sdanna@sfgmortgage.com First, as you probably know, this is not a forum for getting instant answers because it is not monitored officially. Second, SY00500 stores the batch history. It is in the company database. You will need to create a report based on this table. -- Charles Allen, MVP "Sandy D''Anna, GP Project Ma...

Retrieving the Top 10 of the Average of Two columns, but displaying a third
I'm new to Excel programing, so please bear with me. I have an excel spreadsheet with 3 columns. Column1 Column2 Column3 -------------------------------------- John Doe 5 3 Jane Smith 2 9 Bill Smith 4 2 What I need to do is take the average of Column 2 and 3, find the highest average of the entire list and display Column 1 as the final result. In other words: I need to create a Top 5 List of the people with the highest grade average. I don't care much for displaying the grade, I just need the top 5...

conditional format a date in Excel
I am trying to use conditional formatting to show when a date is less than 30 days in the future. When I use "cell value" "is less than" "="Now()+30" all the dates change. I am trying to use conditional formatting to show when a date is les than 30 days in the future. When I use "cell value" "is less than" "="Now()+30 all the dates change. lose the quotes in the condition =Now()+30 Unless you mean between today and 30 days in the future in which cas =now() would be the first condition and =now()+30 would be the second Al...

Excel 2002 Day/Date format
For some reason on one of my computers, Excel won't allow the cell to be formatted to read "Day, Month Date, Year". The option doesn't exist under the Date category of the Format Cells command. Anyone have any ideas? Hi Have you tried using a Custom format? -- Andy. "The Kingfish" <KCKingfish@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:MGjke.4830$X92.1081@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net... > For some reason on one of my computers, Excel won't allow the cell to be > formatted to read "Day, Month Date, Year". > > The option doesn&...

Install dates formating using conditional formating?
I have 2 cells (A1 and A2). I would like to have the following take place. 1. If I place a date that is either past or withinthe next 30 days into A2 format the text as red. 2. If I place any date into cell A1, I need A2 to say N/A. I have been able to do #1 using conditional formating but am stuck on #2. Can anyone help? Thanks -- Jerry Eggleston ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Jerry Eggleston's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=9898 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php...