Customizing Views in OL2003 across a "Personal Folders" folder set

My company has migrated to Outlook 2003 and I would like to make some
changes to the new Default Views.

I have read the tips at outlook-tips.net and gone through this group in
some detail but have not been able to accomplish my goals

I have a bunch of folders saved on my local drive under "Personal
Folders" which is on the same tree level as the main mailbox.  I would
like to
1) Disable Grouping
2) Disable the Reading Pane

For 1) I tried View->Define Views->... per outlook-tips.net but it did
not work across the subfolders in the Personal Folders directory.  I
also tried disabling the Group view by View->Arrange By-> uncheck Show
in Groups folder by folder.  Painful and it didn't "Stick"

Similarly for 2), I can't see a clear path to disabling the Reading
Pane across a large batch of folders.

I'm sure I'm doing several things incorrectly but believe I've come
across my ignorance the hard way.  Suggestions gratefully appreciated.

--- Ravi

0
groupslrn (8)

groupslrn@rettacs.org <groupslrn@rettacs.org> wrote:

> For 1) I tried View->Define Views->... per outlook-tips.net but it did
> not work across the subfolders in the Personal Folders directory.

Did you remove all your custom views first, as described in the article
there?
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
5/4/2005 7:45:32 PM
Brian Tillman wrote:
> groupslrn@rettacs.org <groupslrn@rettacs.org> wrote:
>
> > For 1) I tried View->Define Views->... per outlook-tips.net but it
did
> > not work across the subfolders in the Personal Folders directory.
>
> Did you remove all your custom views first, as described in the
article
> there?

Yes.  Here are the steps I followed:

>From the command line: outlook /cleanviews

{Outlook Starts}

>From the Advanced Toolbar, select "Define Views"
Select Messages
Select Modify
Select Group By -->  Unselect "Automatically Group ..."  --> OK
Select Other Settings  -->  Unselect "Show Items in Groups", select "No
Auto Preview," select "Reading Pane Off"
Ok --> Ok --> Apply View

Only the highlighted subfolder under Personal Folders changes.  All the
others remain as they were.

--- Ravi

0
groupslrn (8)
5/4/2005 8:57:25 PM
Refreshing this topic in hopes there are some further ideas on why
Define Views is not (apparently) working across a set of email folders
in Outlook 2003.

groupslrn@rettacs.org wrote:
> Brian Tillman wrote:
> > groupslrn@rettacs.org <groupslrn@rettacs.org> wrote:
> >
> > > For 1) I tried View->Define Views->... per outlook-tips.net but
it
> did
> > > not work across the subfolders in the Personal Folders directory.
> >
> > Did you remove all your custom views first, as described in the
> article
> > there?
>
> Yes.  Here are the steps I followed:
>
> >From the command line: outlook /cleanviews
>
> {Outlook Starts}
>
> >From the Advanced Toolbar, select "Define Views"
> Select Messages
> Select Modify
> Select Group By -->  Unselect "Automatically Group ..."  --> OK
> Select Other Settings  -->  Unselect "Show Items in Groups", select
"No
> Auto Preview," select "Reading Pane Off"
> Ok --> Ok --> Apply View
>
> Only the highlighted subfolder under Personal Folders changes.  All
the
> others remain as they were.
>
> --- Ravi

0
groupslrn (8)

Invalid and duplicate personal folders in Outlook 2003
I have duplicate personal folders that cannot be deleted and appear to be corrupted. I copied an Outlook 2002 .pst file to my new Outlook 2003 and all was fine, but I could not set reminders due to an error. I followed the advice of a knowledgebase article, but then got the duplicate Personal folder that was identical and could not be deleted. After that I tried more things, but I cannot delete these duplicate folders. There seems to be no command, and closing the folder returns an error. HELP!!! Never overwrite a PST file. You have a corrupted profile. Do you still have your ori...

Move Personal Folders Up or Down
I have a couple personal folders created along with a folder that comes from an exchange server. One personal folder is setup to receive all incoming emails and also store outgoing emails. The other personal folder is setup to organize, where I can move emails from one personal folder to the next. My question is, is it possible to move the location of how the personal folders appear in outlook 2003? Right now I have my menu with Personal Folder(1) on top, the Exchange default Folder in the middle, and Personal Folder (2) on the bottom. The default exchange folder is now being bypassed, so ...

Two Personal Folders showing in left panel
For some unknown reason I have the default Personal Folder as well as a second copy of the Personal Folder showing in my folders list panel. I can not close the duplicate because that option is unavailable (presumably since Outlook 2003 thinks this is the default) I am running Windows XP and Outlook 2003. I have tried the repair inbox tool as well as the detect and repair outlook options. Help anyone? Create a new profile. Yours is corrupt. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Jeff" <jarneberg@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23jzedAl9DHA.1596@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... >...

Multiple Personal Folders
For some reason, Outlook has decided to duplicate everything. I have multiple copies of the "Outlook Today Personal Folders". Everytime I close a reopen Outlook it adds another complete set of folders. How can I get rid of them? "Stephen" <stevs2@ameritech.net> wrote in message news:025d01c34e6a$dc9fdcb0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > For some reason, Outlook has decided to duplicate > everything. I have multiple copies of the "Outlook Today > Personal Folders". Everytime I close a reopen Outlook it > adds another complete set of folders. How can I g...

Personal Folders-Properties-Advanced Button Missing
This button is missing on my Outlook 2000 Personal Folder (Folder List, right-click Personal Folder, select Properties). Would appreciate ideas for getting it back. It's not just on one user. I tried starting up Outlook in Admin for the first time. It made a brand new Personal Folder but this has no Advanced button either. Even uninstalling and reinstalling Office 2000 doesn't solve it. And no clues from Google searches. (Office 2000 Small Business in IMO mode running on fully-patched XP). -- David Tong [Please replace 'invalid' with 'com' to reply]. ...

Personal Folders Service is Missing
When I try to set up personal folders, that option is missing. I have a standard image from the company, but I don't have that option. My Help Desk is looking for an answer, but I need one vy soon to work efficiently. Thanks ...

3 issues
I have 3 issues: 1. I want to change the location of the data file. I tried moving the data file to where I want it and then openned Outlook and it said it couldn't find the file but did not give me the option to browse to its new location.How do I change the location of the PST data file? 2. Two identical "Personal Folders - Bill" show up at the ;eft side of the screen under All Mail folders - How can I delete one? 3. When I open the address book when sending an email it opens to a contacts folder which has nothing in it - I keep going and under Personal Address book...

Personal Folders Backup add-in not working with Outlook 2002
Has anyone been able to get the Personal Folders Backup add-in to work with Outlook 2002? The file can be found here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx? FamilyID=8b081f3a-b7d0-4b16-b8af- 5a6322f4fd01&DisplayLang=en A couple of people in my office have installed it, but the backup option is nowhere to be found. And yes, I know it says Outlook 2003 Add-in, but if you read the System Requirements it says it is compatible with Outlook 2000, 2002 and 2003. Thanks in advance for any help, Sam B Please be more specific than "it does not work." What error messag...

backing up personal folders (.pst) files for MS outlook
I am trying to back up personal folders on a cd. I burned the files to a CD. When I try to open them in Outlook it tells me the following: "properties for this information service must be defined prior to use" and then "File access is denied. You do not have the permission required to access the file..." I have checked the permissions and I have full control. Any suggestions? Copy the PST files to your hard drive, right-click on them, go to properties, and remove the read-only attribute. William Wheeler wrote: > I am trying to back up personal folders on ...

multiple personal folders #8
I have reinstalled Outlook 2003 and now have multiple personal folders. I have gone the the unwanted folder and right clicked and tried to close it. I get an error that says "operation failed. object could not be found". Someone also suggested I to to control panel/mail/ data files and remove folder there. I did that and it worked for one of the extra ones... There is only one folder listed there. I don't want to delete that just incase it deletes all of my email folders. I am relatively computer savvy but not much good at registry files. A little nervous about the outcome...

Two Personal Folders #6
Through some convoluted process involving trying to move my data file I appear to have ended up with two Personal Folders in the "All Mail Folders" pane and one data store. I can't "Close" the second copy (it says 'The operation failed. An object could not be found'). New items are only added to one of the Personal Folders' How do I delete the duplicate Personal Folders file/object? Many thanks. it's a ghost pst http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/ghosts.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need ...

Outlook 2003 Double Personal Folders
Hi, I have the following problem with Microsoft Outlook 2003: On the "Folder List" two (2) "Personal Folders" appear. One with the "Outlook Today" icon an one with the "Folders" icon. The two "Personal Folders" seem to be a pointer to the same outlook data. How can I get rid of the second "Personal Folders" ? Thank you Emmanuel Try going to the mail applet in the control panel, then data files and see if you have the same PST file listed twice. If you don't, then you will need to create a new mail profile (don't c...

Archives Personal Folders File
In Outlook 98, I can't seem to make the Archive folder appear permanently right above the current Outlook Personal Folder in the left hand Folders List. Archiving doesn't seem to work. I get an odd error message: "Error while aging Store Personal Folders. Errors in Archive.pst. Quit Mail applications and use the Inbox Repair Tool." I find no such tool. Outlook 98 just has confusing documentation, don't know why. The Inbox Repair Tool is a file called scanpst.exe -- search your hard drive for it, then run it and follow the prompts to fix any errors in your archi...

Outlook 2003 Add-in: Personal Folders Backup uninstall problem
Hello techie nerds out there Help! I am trying to uninstall this utility to reinstall it on another desktop on the same machine. It seems you can only run this utility on one desktop? Running windows XP pro and Outlook 2002 The programme does not show up in the Add/Remove programme window in the Control Panel. Many, many thanks Paul Paul Allen <ict@wandsworthvb.org.uk> wrote: > I am trying to uninstall this utility to reinstall it on > another desktop on the same machine. It seems you can only > run this utility on one desktop? Doesn't seem to be the case here. ...

Outlook 2000 and Personal Folders (.pst)
I tried finding this somewhere, but couldn't. Would appreciate anyone's help. I'm running Outlook 2000 on Windows 98 SE (yeah I know it's old but it works!). I have 2 PC's networked at home. One of them (the one I use the most) is having problems. I found the .pst file that is used by Outlook on there. Is there a way to change the configuration of Outlook 2000 on my other PC, so that when I copy the .pst file there, it recognizes that, and uses that instead of the one it uses now? Thanks. It is not reccommended to access pst via a network, corruption proble...

Folders in the Personal Folders PST file
I have a pst file which I break down by year and then under the year I create different folders. I have a 2002 and a 2003. Last year I had to recreate over 200 folders under the 2003 folder. I wanted to some how copy all the folders under the 2002 folder and put them under the 2003 folder but wanted to strip out all the emails that were in the sub folders. I just wanted the folders themselves. But I could not figure out how to do this so I had to recreate each folder one at a time. I don't want to have to do that this year. Does anyone know how I can do this automaticaly. Thank...

how to remove multiple personal folders
Recently I had a few problems with outlook, I have fixed them BUT in the proccess of importing mail from pst files I managed to create multiple personal folders containing similar/same mail. How do I remove unwated personal folders? ...

How do i remove Microsoft Outlook Personal Folders Backup
How do I remove Microsoft Outlook Personal Folders Backup program if Windows 2000 Add/Remove Programs does not delete everything? Remove it by Tools-> Options-> tab Other-> button Advanced Options...-> button COM Add-Ins -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "OutlookHow" <OutlookHow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2B7C34AA-B7BA-4D3F-97E7-67BD5478BE1A@microsoft.com... > How do I remove Microsoft Outlook Per...

.PST file won't open, "is not a personal folders file" error
My problem is the same as the one in this forum http://forums.thatcomputerguy.us/lofiversion/index.php/t7672.html I've got XP Pro with Office 2000. I was moving data around new hard drives (onto a new 250GB one) when in the middle of copying, the hard drive died - it will not power on (won't even get warm when plugged in). I was able to recover a fairly recent one using a program called r-studio (http://www.r-studio.com/) from another drive which used to hold that file. My .pst file is slightly over 1GB in size. When opening this .pst or importing a .pst file, it says: "Proper...

Multiple "Outlook Today-Personal Folders" in Folder List
I just installed Office XP on a new computer. I copied my old (Outlook 2000) outlook.pst file to logical drive E:. Somehow in my playing around with this I have ended up with three instances of "Outlook Today-Personal Folders" showing in the Folder List. The content of each is identical. I want to get rid of two instances of this and can't figure out how to do it. There is no "Delete" option when I right-click them and both the Close option and the Rename option are grayed out. I did try both a Repair and a Reinstall from the Office XP CD. No luck. Any help out there w...

Multiple Personal Folders in Folder List and Mail Navigation panes
Would greatly appreciate help. I have two Personal Folders (both with the same sub folders: Inbox, Sent Items, etc.) in the Folder List and Mail views in the Navigation Pane. With both, when I right click on them, the selection "close personal folder" is grayed. How do I get rid of one of them?? Thank you. If they are true personal folders then you must go through tools, services, highlight appropriate personal folder and remove it there. This is for Outlook 2k, you didnt specify which version. >-----Original Message----- >Would greatly appreciate help. >I have two ...

Retrieving Personal Folders
A friend lost all her outlook information, including contacts and the folders she had set up to sort her email. I was able to restore the contacts and the inbox email but cannot locate and restore the personal folders and their contents. When I asked her what happened she said "I think I responded 'yes' to something when it asked me if I wanted to move my folders." :-) Anyway, any help on how to find her missing folders and import them to her Outlook program would be appreciated. She is running Outlook 2000 and WinXP (not sure if Pro or Home). Thank you. Your questio...

AutoArchive creates new Personal Folders object (2'nd post)
Using Outlook 2002 (10.3513.3501) SP-1. Whenever I run an AutoArchive, it finishes with an 'operation failed' = error, and a new folders object named 'Personal Folders' is created. The = new folder is not linked to a .PST, and is easily removed using the Data = Files dialog. However, it returns with each AutoArchive. :-( Is there a solution to the problem? I found a posting that suggested that the deletion of all the name/value = pairs of the profile's registry key might solve a similar problem. What = potential problems might result from attempting this? I'd of cour...

Personal folders??
HI I use hotmail for my email account and have installed outlook xp. I am tryin to add my hotmail account to outlook but its installing under a new mail box (hotmail). Is there anyway I can use the personal folders rather than the new hotmail main folder? No. Hotmail needs it's own folder set. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: ...