Create Outlook Folders on external drive

How can I create an Outlook Folder (.pst) on another hard drive leter.
I want to free up hard drive space without removing emails. I can see
how to archive to an external drive, but I want an active, accessible
folder on an external drive and have it show up in the Personal Folders
list in Outlook. I want to be able to move email from the Inbox to
folders on the external drive and be able to view them "realtime" from
that folder or folders. At work the IT guys do it on a network drive.
We can read or move email to and from folders on the network drive. I
want to do that with my WD "My Book" USB drive.  Maybe there is a way
to do it with the archiving process but if I understand archiving,
(which I may not) when you archive email to another drive, it is not
readable unless you go through a restore type process.

Thanks
Jon

--
JHoard
0

On May 31, 4:18=A0am, JHoard <JHoard.6488...@outlookbanter.com> wrote:
> How can I create an Outlook Folder (.pst) on another hard drive leter.
> I want to free up hard drive space without removing emails. I can see
> how to archive to an external drive, but I want an active, accessible
> folder on an external drive and have it show up in the Personal Folders
> list in Outlook. I want to be able to move email from the Inbox to
> folders on the external drive and be able to view them "realtime" from
> that folder or folders. At work the IT guys do it on a network drive.
> We can read or move email to and from folders on the network drive. I
> want to do that with my WD "My Book" USB drive. =A0Maybe there is a way
> to do it with the archiving process but if I understand archiving,
> (which I may not) when you archive email to another drive, it is not
> readable unless you go through a restore type process.
>
> Thanks
> Jon
>
> --
> JHoard

File / New / outlook data file
0
Damien
5/30/2010 10:38:57 PM
In Outlook 2007 and earlier, use the File | New | Outlook Data File command
to create a new .pst file, choosing the external drive as the location. This
new store will appear in your Folder List in Outlook, and you'll be able to
create folders and move items to it.
--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

"JHoard" wrote:

> How can I create an Outlook Folder (.pst) on another hard drive leter.
> I want to free up hard drive space without removing emails. I can see
> how to archive to an external drive, but I want an active, accessible
> folder on an external drive and have it show up in the Personal Folders
> list in Outlook. I want to be able to move email from the Inbox to
> folders on the external drive and be able to view them "realtime" from
> that folder or folders. At work the IT guys do it on a network drive.
> We can read or move email to and from folders on the network drive. I
> want to do that with my WD "My Book" USB drive.  Maybe there is a way
> to do it with the archiving process but if I understand archiving,
> (which I may not) when you archive email to another drive, it is not
> readable unless you go through a restore type process.
>
> Thanks
> Jon
>

> --
> JHoard
> .

Archiving will do as well since it is basically only an automated way to
move everything to another pst-file after a certain amount of time. If your
archive file is not visible in Outlook, you can simply connect to it via;
File-> Open-> Outlook Data File...

Note that you'll have to be careful with storing pst-files on a removable
medium. You'll always have to close Outlook before shutting down or
detaching your external drive or you could end up damaging the pst-file.

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
http://www.howto-outlook.com/

http://www.msoutlook.info/

-----

"JHoard" <JHoard.6488b4c@outlookbanter.com> wrote in message

> How can I create an Outlook Folder (.pst) on another hard drive leter.
> I want to free up hard drive space without removing emails. I can see
> how to archive to an external drive, but I want an active, accessible
> folder on an external drive and have it show up in the Personal Folders
> list in Outlook. I want to be able to move email from the Inbox to
> folders on the external drive and be able to view them "realtime" from
> that folder or folders. At work the IT guys do it on a network drive.
> We can read or move email to and from folders on the network drive. I
> want to do that with my WD "My Book" USB drive.  Maybe there is a way
> to do it with the archiving process but if I understand archiving,
> (which I may not) when you archive email to another drive, it is not
> readable unless you go through a restore type process.
>
> Thanks
> Jon
>

> --
> JHoard

0
Roady

CRM address book in Outlook

NDRs forwarding to external contact

Outlook Sales

Outlook 2002 (office xp developer suite)

Moving from Outlook Express to Outlook

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

cannot open hyper links in outlook

Disk drive order
Hello, How to make my disk driver appear as C: (Its a virtual boot drive) and enumerate the other disk accordingly? The physical disk is always enumerate first, and windows think he is C: Thanks Guilherme You are out of luck, physical devices are always enumerated first. This has been true since Windows 2000. -- Don Burn (MVP, Windows DKD) Windows Filesystem and Driver Consulting Website: http://www.windrvr.com Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/WinDrvr Remove StopSpam to reply "Guilherme Moro" <guilherme.moro@gmail.com> wrote in message news:7f0...

outlook 97 and express email problems

How to create an autonumber field?

using the journal on outlook

Outlook 2003 Drag and Drop Emails