corrupted PST file - need repair help

Hi,
I have Outlook 98, running on XP, on a PII 400Mghz Dell
desktop.  My PST file is about 1.95GB.  It has been
running extremely slow, and has had to be restarted a
bunch of times in the past 2 weeks.  Yesterday, it gave an
error that the PST file was corrupted, and that PST file
need to have the Inbox Repair Tool run on the file, and
then the system restarted.  I ran the Inbox Repair Tool on
the PST, and it did not work.  I am totally unable to use
the file, which has all my critical contacts and emails.
If someone could help out, I would be MOST grateful.... I
pulling my friggin hair out at this point.  Thanks in
advance for your suggestions.
Cheers,
Lars
0
beach1016 (2)

Your PST is right at the 2GB limit. It's time to either delete some items or
split them into multiple PSTs.
Check this out:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;296088&Product=out98

"Lars" <beach1016@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have Outlook 98, running on XP, on a PII 400Mghz Dell
> desktop.  My PST file is about 1.95GB.  It has been
> running extremely slow, and has had to be restarted a
> bunch of times in the past 2 weeks.  Yesterday, it gave an
> error that the PST file was corrupted, and that PST file
> need to have the Inbox Repair Tool run on the file, and
> then the system restarted.  I ran the Inbox Repair Tool on
> the PST, and it did not work.  I am totally unable to use
> the file, which has all my critical contacts and emails.
> If someone could help out, I would be MOST grateful.... I
> pulling my friggin hair out at this point.  Thanks in
> advance for your suggestions.
> Cheers,
> Lars

0
Ron
10/22/2003 5:26:30 PM
Here is another option.  If you can't get into your PST to
move items to a new PST or delete items.  You can run
SCANPST.EXE to try and repair it and gain access to the
old PST.

us;181523&Product=out98

Hey Ron,
Thanks for the reply.  I downloaded that tool, and it
still did not work.  I am still unable to open or access
either the old PST or the new PST.  Any other ideas you
could suggest?  I appreciate your help.
-Lars

0
beach1016 (2)
10/22/2003 7:29:58 PM
At this point, I'd suggest you restore from backup. You do have one, don't
you?

> Hey Ron,
> Thanks for the reply.  I downloaded that tool, and it
> still did not work.  I am still unable to open or access
> either the old PST or the new PST.  Any other ideas you
> could suggest?  I appreciate your help.
> -Lars

0
Ron
10/22/2003 11:56:44 PM
Nope, I'm pretty much an idiot and hadn't backed up my
file in about 10 months :(  Any other suggestions?
Appreciate the reply.  Thanks.

0
anonymous (74722)
10/23/2003 2:49:32 AM
Bummer. Your only option now is to work on the *only* PST file you got.
Sorry I'm out of ideas.

> Nope, I'm pretty much an idiot and hadn't backed up my
> file in about 10 months :(  Any other suggestions?
> Appreciate the reply.  Thanks.

0
Ron

Can you help test our Excel test?
We recently completed an online Excel test that people can take then post the results to Facebook so if you're an Excel expert and have 5 min to spare, we'd love to get your input on the questions and format to help make it better. If you can help, we'd really appreciate it ... plus you can let your Facebook friends know how great you are at Excel! http://www.accessanalytic.com.au/services_excel_test.php Cheers __________________ Jeff Robson Principal Business Analyst Access Analytic http://www.accessanalytic.com.au Well, it made me think a bit (9 out of 10 - be...

Need Clarity Regarding Win 2008 DC and Exchange 03 SP2
Hi All, I was hoping someone could provide some clarity regarding installing a Win 2008 DC into an existing 2003 sp2 native mode domain that contains Exchange 2003 sp2. I have looked at the compatibility matrix as well as some other posts here and wanted to confirm the following: A Win 2008 DC is supported and Exchange 2003 SP2 will work fine as long as there are still other 2003 DC's around and the domain functional level remains at 2003? Does this holds true for NT machines as well? Is it OK for the 2008 DC to hold all the FSMO roles and everything still work n...

how do i open a read-only or encrypted file in excel?
i am trying to open an excel file but get the message " excel cannot access this file, it may be read-only or encrypted" how do i open it?? Thanks.. If it is read only, then that shouldn't be a problem. Excel opens read only files every day of the week. Encryption is a different matter. The file may have been encrypted by encryption sofware other than Excel, and the .xls file extension left intact. Or, this from the Excel Help files may provide a clue for you. I get an 'encryption scheme not available' message when I try to open a workbook. Some workbook prote...

Outlook & ActiveSync problem
I have a problem that I hope you can help me with. I have a database that I created in Microsoft Access to store all my contacts information, I then imported this database into Microsoft Outlook. This all worked without problem. Then I synchronised Microsoft Outlook with my HP iPAQ and this is where the problem occurs. It copies all the data across to the iPAQ except for the Web Page field; the Web Page field is left blank on my iPAQ. However, if I type the data into the Web Page field in Outlook (rather than importing it from Access) it synchronises correctly and the data appears in t...

Please help with this formula
I have a spreadsheet; 25 participants for 31 days each participant must log a catagory (eg PC) the spread sheet count the number of PCs for the 31 days (eg. formula (=COUNTIF(E10:AI34,"PC")). Question how can I calculate how many participates have logged a catagory PC within the 31 days. Hi C, One way, Put =COUNTIF(E10:AI10,"PC") in cell AJ10 And drag down to AJ34 Then in another cell of your choice put =COUNTIF(AJ10:AJ34,">0") HTH Martin "C Sealy" <C Sealy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:13350DAB-8BEC-4731-B235-B4B...

Excel 2007 Help Button
When I press the Help button in Excel I get a return message that says "There are no help topics to match your request". All I want to do is explore the Help section to learn more about Excel. Where do I enable the Help Section? Hello: Try to use the F1/help buttons when nothing is selected. -- Hope this helps Martin Fishlock, www.nyfconsultants.com, Wolverhampton, UK Please do not forget to rate this reply. "l_croft1" wrote: > When I press the Help button in Excel I get a return message that says "There > are no help topics to match your request"...

Saving Files
I have Excel 2007. I have many ".xls" from 2003. I open, add data, change data, etc. Save to ".xlsx" AND ".xls" to make sure I have the file. But after saving, I come back later, and the file is not current - it's from a day or two ago and NONE of my changes are there. It's as though I never did any work. I have tried most of the usual attempts. Save, Save As, click on the Save icon, use Ctrl S. And now this is happening with the "new" ".xlsx" as well. I even tried saving to a flash drive instead of my HD. Nothing seems to work. ...

jpeg photo files in ms publisher
I have a new camera that uses jpeg format. How can I put those photos in publisher 2003 documents? If I can't, what is a good alternative program to publisher. Insert, picture, from file, browse to your photo... -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Lynn35" <Lynn35@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C2E61684-D23B-4243-9212-8AE54C0A43FA@microsoft.com... >I have a new camera that uses jpeg format. How can I put those photos in > publisher 2003 documents? If I can't, what is a goo...

Someone Help me!
I understand that I am complete moron. You don't have to tell me. But can somebody please tell me how to get all my text to fit into one cell. It automatically goes to the cell to the right of it, and I does it no matter how big the cell is I have no idea what I'm doing. I have to use this for work... and if I can't figure it out I won't get the job so if anybody could help me with this one thing that would help me a bunch! Charts don't include cells (though of course they use data from worksheet cells), so I guess that instead of charting you are talking about Exce...

Math help
I have a worksheet with columns A-P. A=Hrs B=Rate C=Amount Billed (A*B) D=Hrs Approved E=Amt Approved (D*B) F=Hrs Approved G=Amt Approved (F*B) H=Sum Approved (E+G) I=Not Approved (C-H) J=Approved & Paid (M+N+O) K=Approved Not Paid (H-J) L=Variance (C-J) M=Pmt 1 N=Pmt 2 O=Pmt 3 P=Adjustment Below is the data for row 2: 166.67 $68.50 $11,416.90 166.67 $11,416.90 $11,416.90 $- $11,416.90 $(0.01) $(0.01) $11,416.90 -0.005 Row 3: 160.00 $25.76 $4,121.60 160.00 $4,121.60 $4,121.60 $- $4,121.06 $0.54 $0.54...

NEED EXPERT HELP...PELASE
I need some help from people with technical knowledge of Outlook 2000. Here is the issue. My PC had to be reformated and Windows, MS Office, etc reloaded. I identified the directories I wanted backed up before the hard drive was reformatted. My Outlook 2002 Directory was one of them, but I didn't export the messages to a file using a comma delineated format before the backup was done....instead the directory was backed up with the inbox, address book, etc. keeing their original file extensions. Question: Is there a way I can bring my emails back into my Outlook program now that it's...

Microsoft Excel has encountered a problem and needs to close
When I close the excel application window return the following error message: Microsoft Excel has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. AppName: excel.exe AppVer: 10.0.6713.0 ModName: msvcrt.dll ModVer: 7.0.2600.3085 Offset: 00037efb I tried to lookup this error in the Knowlwdge Base from Microsoft but I cann't found how to fix the problem. Thanks in advance for any help. Maybe try running Detect and Repair. Goto the Help menu, select Detect and Repair -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Sergio" <Sergio@discussions.microsoft.co...

Help us test a spam filter for Exchange
We are a small Danish company fighting spam. We have a lot of users on our client solution for Outlook and Outlook Express, but our new anti spam Exchange Module give us trouble. Out of 10 people downloading it, only 1 finish the installation and we simply can't find the error. Please help us out, we really need some fresh eyes on the project. http://www.spamfighter.com/product_sem.asp Best Regards SPAMfighter Martin Thorborg I would help you out, but I cannot download the install file, it just wants to install straight from the site, and this just wont work in my environment, my lab ...

query help 12-05-09
i am using sql server 2000 and i need to do the following. sql server 2005 made stuff like this easy. i have a table like this (pseudo coded) CREATE TABLE CONTRACT (CONTRACT_ID INT, CONTRACT_NUMBER VARCHAR(10), CONTRACT_REGION VARCHAR(10), STATUS VARCHAR(20), CONTRACT_DATE DATETIME) INSERT INTO CONTRACT (CONTRACT_ID, CONTRACT_NUMBER, CONTRACT_REGION, STATUS, CONTRACT_DATE) VALUES (1, '1000', 'EAST', 'IN PROGRESS', '2007-01-01') INSERT INTO CONTRACT (CONTRACT_ID, CONTRACT_NUMBER, CONTRACT_REGION, STATUS, CONTRACT_DATE) VALUES (2, '2000...

problems with Sharing excel files
when two people are updating an shared excel file at the same time, the changes are not being saved. Our MIS Department says sharing excel files doesn't work, and discontinue this practice and that will solve the problem. However, when researching I don't find any mention of problems with saving files, only that certain functions don't work in shared files. what can the problem be? ...

Great Plains needs a Scheduler for Check Links
Check links maintenance should be ran weekly if not monthly. It would be nice if there was a scheduler to set up jobs to run check links after hours. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrow...

Vertical text, font corruption #3
Hi there. I'm trying to draw a vertical text. But I see the font is corrupted. I mean it looks ugly. No antialiasing and so. whe I draw the text horizontal it looks just fine. I'm using "lf.lfEscapement = - 90 * 10;" to make a font vertical and "pDC->TextOut(20, 22, sTitle);" for drawing. lf.lfQuality = ANTIALIASED_QUALITY for both vertical and horizontal. Have now idea what it could be... Any ideas? Thanks. ...

The file is being used by some other process
hi , Am trying to read from and write to a same xml file.i have no prob when reading the xml file.but when i write to the same file i get the following error even after closing the reader object(which is open). The file is being used by some other process. --------------------------------------------------- This is what am doing in the code: i have used the XmlTextReader and loaded the file to an XmlDocument object and closed the Reader object. and after the processing of the documnet, am writing to the file by passing a XmltextWriter obj to the save() method in XmlDocument class. [more...

Maximum file size for excel documents?
Hi, Does anyone know what the maximum file size for a excell 2000 workbook is? I'm currently upto 38mb, just need to know how much further I can go. Lots of data.... Hi see: http://www.decisionmodels.com/memlimits.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Parag wrote: > Hi, > > Does anyone know what the maximum file size for a excell 2000 > workbook is? I'm currently upto 38mb, just need to know how much > further I can go. > > Lots of data.... Thanks "Frank Kabel" wrote: > Hi > see: > http://www.decisionmodels.com/memlimits.htm ...

can't find .pst file
I have an employee that would like to use Outlook XP. The entire Office XP suite is installed on her Windows 2000 PC. When we try to open Outlook, this is the message that comes up: "Unable to display the folder. Microsoft Outlook could not access the specified folder location. The path specified for the file C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst is not valid." I've done a search on the C:\ drive for *.pst and nothing is found. I've upgraded to OE6 and have re-installed Office XP. What else would you ...

on error msg box help
The following code will return a message box whether or not an error results from running the macro... what gives? Sub test() On Error GoTo errr Range("a2").Value = Range("A1") / Range("B1") errr: MsgBox "error", vbOKOnly, Error End Sub You have to do something else if no error. Exiting is an option. Sub test() On Error GoTo errr Range("a2").Value = Range("A1") / Range("B1") Exit Sub errr: MsgBox "error", vbOKOnly, Error End Sub Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 18 Nov 200...

desperate- can't export
I am trying to move my outlook data from a windows/95,outlook97 to a new xp/outlook2002 system. I use the export feature to a pst file. When I try to import on the new system, it says I don't have file permission. Any ideas? Copy pst to hd,ensure read only is off, before in OL File/Open/Personal Folders ....browse to pst BTW theres no need to export, just copy. PS a search of this ng would have shown numerous Q on this and the A David "harlan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:239c01c3e0b6$6d972ec0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I am trying to move...

cannot restore pst files.... heartattack time
For the first time I archived Outlook Today and my Personal Folders, date of today. I did not know it all would be swept away into the dungeon... I also have a separate (automatic) Outlook.pst file (304.049 KB years of research) which is still keeping up with the clock... but I cannot restore any of them. The only thing has been the duplicating of Outlook Today Folders (NOT Personal folders), but all folders are empty except for Contacts and Calendar. I have used the wizard and also followed the instructions below... no postive results. I use Windows ME and Outlook 2000. please help! jopie ...

File saves ok, SaveAs VERY slow
Hi All...... I have a 10MB Excel file that will "save" in about 30 seconds. As soon as I hit the save button, the Disk-activity light starts flashing. But, when I do a "Save-as" to just change the name, it takes a total of 6 minutes. It starts out with the Status bar saying "Calculating cells" but it stays at zero for over 3 minutes, then works it's way up slowly every 15 seconds or so and when it changes to "Saving, filename" the Disk-activity light starts to flash and it only takes the normal 30 seconds from that point....... I do have a...

Macro Help #5
Dear Experts I have a range in a spreadsheet set up with a macro that concatenates the row and column headings and copies the number (if it is >0) in the cell where the column heading and row heading meet to a new worksheet. A bit like looking up a street directory. Sometimes I have to change the criteria and want only numbers copied that are >10. I know how to change the macro to do this. I now have to copy numbers that are > than minus 1. Because some of the cells in the range are empty it still concatenates the empty cells the row and column headings and copies them to the workshe...