Contact sorting - minor glitch ... or not?

I'm using Outlook 2007 and the very first entry in my Contact list starts
with the @ character.  The 'last name' for the Contact in question is ...
@backup.

If I click on 'a' on the right list of the alphabet tabs to quickly go to
that contact, it never displays.  I am always forced to scroll up.  If I
click on '123' it does not display.

What don't I understand?  Thanks, Dave Horne

0
Dave

I should add that the contact in question always appears when I _first_ open
Contacts.  It just never apears if I use the alphabet tabs on the right.

Thanks, DH

0
Dave
11/16/2009 10:29:59 AM
It's because the "@" and other non-alphabetical or non-numerical characters
don't have their own index tab but will be displayed at the top as
exceptions. Pressing the Home key on your keyboard will also bring up this
name.

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
http://www.howto-outlook.com/

http://www.msoutlook.info/

-----

"Dave Horne" <davehorne@home.nl> wrote in message
> I'm using Outlook 2007 and the very first entry in my Contact list starts
> with the @ character.  The 'last name' for the Contact in question is ...
> @backup.
>
> If I click on 'a' on the right list of the alphabet tabs to quickly go to
> that contact, it never displays.  I am always forced to scroll up.  If I
> click on '123' it does not display.
>
> What don't I understand?  Thanks, Dave Horne

0
Roady
11/16/2009 11:10:31 AM
Roady,

Thanks for the info and the tip re the Home key ... and thanks for the very
fast reply!

Dave Horne

message news:OY2k21qZKHA.5608@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> It's because the "@" and other non-alphabetical or non-numerical
> characters don't have their own index tab but will be displayed at the top
> as exceptions. Pressing the Home key on your keyboard will also bring up
> this name.
>
> --
> Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
> http://www.howto-outlook.com/
>
> http://www.msoutlook.info/
>
> -----
>
> "Dave Horne" <davehorne@home.nl> wrote in message
>> I'm using Outlook 2007 and the very first entry in my Contact list starts
>> with the @ character.  The 'last name' for the Contact in question is ...
>> @backup.
>>
>> If I click on 'a' on the right list of the alphabet tabs to quickly go to
>> that contact, it never displays.  I am always forced to scroll up.  If I
>> click on '123' it does not display.
>>
>> What don't I understand?  Thanks, Dave Horne

0
Dave
11/16/2009 11:18:49 AM

> I should add that the contact in question always appears when I _first_ open
> Contacts.  It just never apears if I use the alphabet tabs on the right.

In the ASCII character set, "@" comes after digits and before upper case
letters, but Outlook subverts that order, showing contacts whose File As
starts with a digit prior to those starting with letters.  Moreover, it
provides no symbol button on the right, perhaps because the designers didn't
anticipate anyone ever starting contacts with symbols.  If you know you have a
contact whose File As starts with the symbol, just press that symbol on the
keyboard and you'll jump to it.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
Brian
11/16/2009 12:44:09 PM
You're welcome! :-)

--

> Roady,
>
> Thanks for the info and the tip re the Home key ... and thanks for the
> very fast reply!
>
> Dave Horne
>

> "Roady [MVP]" <newsgroups_DELETE_@_DELETE_sparnaaij_NO_._SPAM_net> wrote
> in message news:OY2k21qZKHA.5608@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>> It's because the "@" and other non-alphabetical or non-numerical
>> characters don't have their own index tab but will be displayed at the
>> top as exceptions. Pressing the Home key on your keyboard will also bring
>> up this name.
>>
>> --
>> Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
>> Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003
>> http://www.howto-outlook.com/
>> Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more
>>
>> http://www.msoutlook.info/
>> Real World Questions, Real World Answers
>>
>> -----
>>
>> "Dave Horne" <davehorne@home.nl> wrote in message
>>> I'm using Outlook 2007 and the very first entry in my Contact list
>>> starts with the @ character.  The 'last name' for the Contact in
>>> question is ... @backup.
>>>
>>> If I click on 'a' on the right list of the alphabet tabs to quickly go
>>> to that contact, it never displays.  I am always forced to scroll up.
>>> If I click on '123' it does not display.
>>>
>>> What don't I understand?  Thanks, Dave Horne

0
Roady
11/16/2009 3:39:34 PM
Brian, thanks for the additional information!

DH

"Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Dave Horne" <davehorne@home.nl> wrote in message
>
>> I should add that the contact in question always appears when I _first_
>> open Contacts.  It just never apears if I use the alphabet tabs on the
>> right.
>
> In the ASCII character set, "@" comes after digits and before upper case
> letters, but Outlook subverts that order, showing contacts whose File As
> starts with a digit prior to those starting with letters.  Moreover, it
> provides no symbol button on the right, perhaps because the designers
> didn't anticipate anyone ever starting contacts with symbols.  If you know
> you have a contact whose File As starts with the symbol, just press that
> symbol on the keyboard and you'll jump to it.
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
Dave

Mapping from Account to Contact
I have published the existing mappings in the customization, and even tried adding some, but I still can't get the fields such as address and phone number to auto fill-in when creating a new contact and selecting the Parent Account. I have tried doing this from the Parent Account by creating a new contact from there, and still, nothing auto fills. Is anyone else having this problem. Could something have installed improperly when I installed the software? It appears as though the default mappings in the customization show the relationship/mappings between the Account Entity and t...

Log file sorting with VBA
I would like to sort a log file by each variable in the log. There is date column and four other columns that I would like to be able to sor alphabetically . I would like to create macros that can sort each column. For example - my column titles are date (A), item (B), action(C) Reason(D), Person(E). I would like to create buttons with macros fo each column, so that when I click a button it sorts all of the ro entries. I would also like to create a macro for a new entry which shifts all o the rows down. Does anyone know of any similar VBA code for either of these actions i excel, or can...

Contacts file
Is there a way to transfer ALL contacts from one Outlook account to another Outlook account? Answered on a daily basis. Find a post that matches your Outlook version and information store which of course anyone would need to answer your question accurately. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "tonyalt3" <tonyalt3@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:7b25dafc-e1d5-4592-8604-18c36037a11e@w1g2000prk.googlegroups.com... > Is there a way to transfer ALL contacts from one Outlook account to > another Outlook account? ...

Backup Contacts in Outlook 2002
how do you backup the contacts folder in the address book on Outlook client 2002. .pst and .pab isn't helpful. Can anyone can help me out Why is PST not helpful? That's what you need to back up. Just do it. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Brandon.ralph" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:012b01c3d242$df7eced0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > how do you backup the contacts folder in the address book > on Outlook client 2002. .pst and .pab isn't helpful. > Can anyone can help me out ...

Viewing Global Contact List
I'm using Exchange 2003 in a large domain with a global contact listing. Client machines are using Outlook 2000/2003. Is there a way to list the global contacts in the standard local contact list? Thanks. No, the user will need to select the list from the dropdown. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, Bill Maxwell asked: | I'm using Exchange 2003 in a large domain with ...

Outlook 2002 views grouping/sorting
I noticed a (irritating) difference between Outlook 2000 and 2002 definition of folder Views. Back in 2000, you could set to group by Conversation Topic, which lumped all emails with the same email subject together. Now it was still sorted by date first, meaning the subject-topic with the most recent received (descending) email with be positioned on top. So it was going by Sort, then Group. Now in 2002, the priority has been reversed. It is grouped first then sorted by date. Meaning the email subject with the first in alphabetical order will ALWAYS be positioned on top, even when its latest ...

sorting on linked lists between 2 workbooks
Hi, I have a workbook (B1) which holds a column of names (1 name per cell) The 2nd workbook (B2) references each of these names and diplays the in it's own column. The problem occurs when I want to sort the lis (and other associated columns) in B1 the cells in B2 become jumbled. have tried naming each cell in B1 on the assumption that when a sor occurs that this relationship would be dynamic - but the same proble still occurs... Any clues anyone? The prob seems relatively simple but I can't seem to find a way aroun it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated Cheer -- Message po...

Advanced Find in contact's birthday problem
Hi, I'm having a simple problem in MS CRM 3.0 regarding advanced find with Contact's birthday. My filter criteria is Contact's Birthday as entity and operator "Today". The result is nothing. But when I checked the birthday of one of the contact, there exists at least one. I noticed that the advanced find also matching the year. when I changed the birthday from 7/20/1954 to 7/20/2006, the advanced find output the result. How can we go about this problem? True, this is one of the thing I hope Microsoft will implement in the next version (or better service pack :)) ...

undo sorts button
I have a form with a subform that is displayed in datasheet view. When I right click to sort on a column I get A-Z and Z-A options but there is no clear all sorts option so I would like to add a button to clear all sorts. The button is in the detail section beside the subform. The subform name is called [subEditParts]. Can someone help with this, Thanks Wally On Tue, 11 May 2010 07:00:01 -0700, wallymeister <wallymeister@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: Me.subEditParts.Form.OrderBy = "" Me.subEditParts.Form.OrderByOn = False -Tom. Microsoft Ac...

Assign New Contact to a Category in Outlook 2002
I would like to know if it is possible to assign a new contact to a category immediately when creating the new contact record. The only way I have found to do this is to create the new contact record, save it, go to my list of contacts and right-click it to assign a category. I'm sure there must be a way to do this from the initial new contact data entry screen instead of having to pull the contact back up from the listing once saved. Do you not see the Category field in the main page of the Contact Record? -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Denise" <oui@quixnet.net> wr...

Automatically link to contacts

Sorting contact info by date
Hi Everyone: I'm hoping you can help. Is there any way that you can print a report that shows the last contact date for a Contact. We are trying make a list of customers not contacted within the last 3 months. Is there a way to export it to Excel for instance and create a report that way? Thanks! Assuming you already have a field populated with the last contact date for each contact: Create a table view that shows that field and any other fields you want to appear in the Excel spreadsheet. Set a filter on that view to show only those contacts with a last contact date greater t...

need to recover contacts
Recently I had to rebuild my PC but b4 I did I made a ghost image of my C: drive, I have re installed outlook 2003 BUT after importing my *.pst file I have lost all my contacts/address book, I noticed that I have a *.nk2 file in my ghost image, are the contacts in this file? If so how do I get them back into outlook? Contacts are in the PST file, not the NK2 file. First, never import a PST, just reuse it. Second, clarify what you mean. Contacts and the address book are not the same thing. Which is missing? I would expect the address book to be empty because you imported your PST and cor...

Handling contacts in accounts
Can anyone suggest the best way to deal with a contact who leaves a company and reappears in another company. Should the contact just be reassigned, or should they be left (deactivated?) in the existing company, and a new contact created. I am interested in tracking history both with the old account, and with the contact themselves. Technojeff, you can use the relationships to do this. Reassign your contact to the new company, add a relationship between the contact and old company. HTH, Frederic - Travi@ta www.microsoft-dynamics-crm.eu technojeff schreef: > Can anyone suggest the...

Sorting report by date range
I hae a query set up to sort all my data into nice little reports. The only problem is a month from now I don't want to have to print everything just to get yesterdays report. I would like a query that says only show the records for date X through Y, and I would like to use a form to enter the dates, run the query then show the report for printing. Thanks David Add 2 combo boxes to an unbound form (beginning of date range, and end of date range). Enter the following parameter in the date field of your query. Between [forms]![yourformname]![comboX] and [forms]![yourformname]![comboY...

Excel 2000 STILL hangs on sort
I still cannot understand why I am the only person on this whole planet who seems to have problems sorting Excel spreadsheets. I simply cannot imagine what it is about my system that is unique. As I have repeatedly griped without getting any useful response: 1) I cannot sort any spreadsheet where the data contains a question mark 2) I cannot sort moderate spreadsheets (>2500 rows) where the data includes the results of a subtraction. The bypass for the first problem is to remove all question marks (by searching for '~?'). The bypass for the second problem is to co...

Macor glitch?
I tried to run a macro to generate sales report. Somehow, the run time error 1004 message poped up saying "The macro 'Show_Toolbar" cannot be found. I debugged it and there is an unexpected code, Application. Run "Show_Toolbar", showing repeatly in a particular macro. When I deleted that code on the 17 pages VB code, the macro worked fine. It happens whenever I try to click a macro button. Ironically, the same macro runs gracefully on another computer. Your suggestions will be appreciated. -A You click the button and the code starts. But part way through, it en...

How to make 1 change to many contacts?
I was making a "common change" to multiple contacts using the directions provided by Microsoft's site. I sorted the contacts by category, selected the grouping bar for the category I wanted to change, and dragged the contacts to the category I wanted it to become. Outlook is supposed to automatically apply the change to all of the items in the old category. It gave the contacts 2 categories. I will still have to open 300 contacts individually to get rid of the old category. Is there another way to make a the same change to multiple contacts? Veronica wrote: > I wa...

sort column by last digit
Lets say I have a column like: 12435G 19995 188884G 188465 277745 etc etc etc ...and I want to sort it so that the ones that end with the letter G are isolated. Is there a way to do this? -- Kepf ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Kepf's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30611 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=502969 In a helper column, add =IF(RIGHT(A1)="G","G","") then sort by the helper column. -- HTH Bob Phillips (remove nothere from...

Outlook Contacts #15
I am wondering if there is an add in for Outlook that would allow me to create a form with specific fields in it. I need this form to allow me to link contacts which we use frequently for project. I work in an architecture firm, and we need a project directory created for each project. Specific contact information to that project will be entered like a standard contact is typically created, but we would also like to be able to link or reference contacts already used and entered into our public contacts pool. Is it possible to edit the tabs inside a new contact window or is there ...

How do I change the action of button in Access 2007 contact list?
I need to change the email address manually when I click the "send email" button to create new email directly from Contact List of Access 2007 as the default email address is including the receiver name (name + emal address was recognized as wrong email address by Windows Live Mail). How to change the default setting of Access 2007? -- THANKS & BEST REGARDS, Nguyen Tung Director of Sales and Marketing --------------------------------------- THIENTHAONGUYEN TRANSPORTATION CO., No181 Dai Tu Str,Hoang Mai Dist,Hanoi,Vietnam Tel :(84.4) 36410 577 - 107 /...

Randomised missing e-mail adress for outlook contacts from CRM
Hi, I have a problem when I send e-mails through outlook (2003) with contacts from CRM (3.0). The problem appears to be randomized and I can not see any systematic casue behind it. When I start a new e-mail in outlook I write the name of the person, who is then recognised by outlook and everything appears to be in order. When I click on the person, the properties are empty and there is no adress available. If send they e-mail away, there is no warning that the e-mail does not have a proper adress. If I check the e-mail in the sent box, there is no name or adress left in the header. T...

how do i sort dates by months and not years?
I have two columns. One with dates and one with names: 09/22/77 Jane Doe I'm trying to sort these by months so I can keep track of people's birthdays. Is there a way to do that? Thanks! One way, in a third adjacent column enter =MONTH{A1) assuming the date is in column A then sort the range by that column, Regards, Alan. "A Homeschool Mom" <A Homeschool Mom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C1A68119-E817-4BA5-8700-E01899997A12@microsoft.com... >I have two columns. One with dates and one with names: > > 09/22/77 Jane Doe > &g...

Contacts and Accounts 11-21-03
Hi When I create an order and link it to a contact I would expect it to be linked to the account as well. This seems to not be the case. I created an order (using the Adventure-works sample database) for Ingrid Burkhardt. When I looked under the Sales Order tab for Bike Universe the order was not there. However, when I went to the contacts tab, and opened INgrid, and then went to the Order tab it was there. How is this supposed to work? Thanks Gill I believe this is as designed Gill. The cases work the same way, a case is either linked to the account or a contact - but there is...

Contact History
Is there a date series hidden somewhere in CRM? For example, can I find out when a contact was actually entered, or last accessed? Hi, attributes like "Created on " and "modified on " can help you in some extent . But for bigger puporse check either google or msdn blog and find a example about "Audit entity" which holds the all information what has been changed or so. ------ Aamir Blog = http://mscrmsupport.wordpress.com/ ...