Contact Name and TO: field names not listed in same order

I am using Outlook 2007. I have several instances of this problem, but most
names are ok. In my Contact list, all of the names are displayed properly,
last name, then first name. However, when I am sending an email and click on
the TO: button to get the list of contacts, a few of the names are listed
first name then last name and the are alphabetically in order by their first
name.

For example, I will have Tom Smith in the Contact database as Smith, Tom.
All three fields (Full Name, File as name and Display as name) show Smith,
Tom. And the name appears in the S names when I show the Contact names.
However, when I open a New Mail window and click on the TO: button to open
the contacts, Tom Smith appears in the T section and is listed as Tom Smith,
not Smith, Tom.

I have hundreds of names in the Contact database, all entered in last name,
first name for all three name fields. Only a few (less than 5%) are listed
improperly when I use the TO: option. Any ideas on how to fix this problem?
I have tried deleting and re-entering the name, but that didn't work.

Tom

"Tom from WI" <not_real@noname-isp.us> wrote in message

>I am using Outlook 2007. I have several instances of this problem, but most
>names are ok. In my Contact list, all of the names are displayed properly,
>last name, then first name. However, when I am sending an email and click on
>the TO: button to get the list of contacts, a few of the names are listed
>first name then last name and the are alphabetically in order by their first
>name.

Click Tools>Account Settings>Address Books tab.  Select Outlook Address Book
and click Change.  Set the display order there.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16052)
11/11/2009 9:52:27 PM

"Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Tom from WI" <not_real@noname-isp.us> wrote in message
>
>>I am using Outlook 2007. I have several instances of this problem, but
>>most names are ok. In my Contact list, all of the names are displayed
>>properly, last name, then first name. However, when I am sending an email
>>and click on the TO: button to get the list of contacts, a few of the
>>names are listed first name then last name and the are alphabetically in
>>order by their first name.
>
> Click Tools>Account Settings>Address Books tab.  Select Outlook Address
> Book and click Change.  Set the display order there.
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

It worked! The button next to display First Name then Last name was checked.
I don't know why only a few of the names were displayed that same way, but
they are all displayed the same now.

Thanks for your help.
Tom

Pivot Table Cycling Through Page Fields Automatically
Hi. I am trying to cycle through a complete set of data in one of the parameters in the "Page" field. For example, there are 500 investments, and I want to compute the internal rate of return (IRR) for each investment based on a series of cashflows for each investment. The IRR is a function that is placed outside the pivot table. As each investment number is chosen, the underlying pivot table cashflow data changes, allow the IRR function to pick up these cashflows and compute the IRR. However, if there are 500 investments, this becomes very time consuming - especially if the...

Sending Letter to Contact Crashes Outlook
In Office 2003, if Word is open and I use Actions > New Letter to Contact, Outlook freezes up. On the other hand if Word is not open, "New Letter to Contact" works fine. Any explanation? Never seen it. You'll have to supply at least _some_ troubleshooting information. Error messages? Configuration changes to your setup? Did it ever work correctly? -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Terry Smerling" <tsmerling@lasuperiorcourt.org> wrote in message news:udHcH$1QEHA.2132@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > In Office 2003, if Word is open and I use Actions > New Let...

Saving a calculated field
First, yes I have read the threads on storing a calculated field and that it is bad mojo to do that. However, I have pay data that I calculate and input to a database and it must be able to be reconciled with our ADP data. So I need the ability to change and fix the data so it does not change as a result of recalculations. I have a form with a field that calculates the pay based on hours and pay rate. I have another field (the "copy" field) next to that one that has the control source set to the database field. I have set the default value of that field to be equal to the...

SMTP address list
Does anyone know of a way to obtain a list of all SMTP email addresses accepted by a server and the corresponding user account in Exchange 2003? Thanks Brad Palmer You can use LDIFDE to dump Active Directory attributes to a text file. The email addresses are held in the 'proxyAddresses' attribute, so: ldifde -f dump.ldf -l proxyaddresses This will give you a file called dump.ldf containing your addresses. You can add other Active Directory attributes to the export file as you see fit. -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links, and tips, check: http://www.msexc...

Workflow rule on (Order)Products and columns of related entities in advanced find view
Hi, Does anyone know whether it's possible to create workflow rules on (Order)Products, since the entity Products isn't part of the standard workflow entity? In my example I have added a new (expiry) date attribute on the OrderProduct form. Now I would like to add a workflow rule on that datefield to create a task when the expiry date is nearly reached; but the problem I have is that i can't "reach" the fields on the OrderProduct form to put a workflow rule on? Another problem I have is that I've created an advanced find query in which I query customers who have or...

What does #REF! mean in the Name Manager
I have a 2007 workbook with 6-7 sheets. I made some changes to cell names and apparently made some mistakes. When I open the Name Manager, the last entry looks like this: Name Value Refers to Scope Comments x #REF! =#REF!$C$25 Workbook I cannot find that name anywhere. I have looked in C25 on every sheet. What does this mean? >Name Value Refers to Scope Comments > x #REF! =#REF!$C$25 Workbook #REF! means it's an invalid reference. Did you delete a sheet? If so, that's probably why you're getting those. -- Biff Micro...

Access, average several fields in one row
I have several rows of data in a field, I need to average all the entries in one row I have 12 fields for 12 months of data, I need the average of the sum of all non blank entries. For example 3 months completed, the solution in Excel is (field1+field2+field3)/3 I am looking for method to average the sum in Access One way if you can't change your data is to use a VBA function. I've posted one below. You would call it in a calculated field in a query. Assuming your field names are the abbreviated month names the expression might look like the following. Field: fRow...

Tab order for purchase orders and sales orders
Is there a way to set the tab order while entering items in a purchase order and sales order. My client would like to be able to have the order taker be able to be prompted for a quantity while entering in line items to purchase orders and sales orders. Marc, For POS, enter the quantity first, then the * key, then the ILC So for 5 of 11212, enter 5*11212 <enter> For PO's see if QuickScan works better for you. -- * "Marc Arbesman" <MarcArbesman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:05BD48AA-08BB-4CFE-A04D-46BBCC5B95CC@microsoft.com... Is there a w...

How do insert name automatically atop of each pg of doc?
Hello, How do I automatically insert name on each page of document like inserting page numbers? My professor told me not to type it in but to insert and I have not been able to do so. This is a new program for me, Word 2007. I have to submit my paper in MLA form and do not wish to lose points because for this. Thanks for your help. Click on the Insert tab of the Ribbon and then in the Header and Footer section, click on Header and make your choice from the options presented or click on the Edit Header button to get a blank header pane in which to insert the name in the...

need to make a formula that would add a field value to current dat
I have made a form in which I input different values. On of the values is (How Many Days). Now I need to a assign a default value, or expression (not sure which way to go about this) that will take the date value for (Date) and add the value (How Many Days) I figured that the formula should read =sum([Date]+[How Many Days]) But that is not giving me any results, thanx for your help in advance =DateDiff("d", Date(), [How Many Days]) -- Wayne Manchester, England. "J Man" wrote: > I have made a form in which I input different values. On of the values is ...

I registed damiler-benz.mobi, who want it, please contact with me! mail to 001@001.io

Adding Members- Dist. Lists
Not sure if I should be posting this here or in the SBS group. Does anyone know if there is a way to assign a permission to a user in our office to be able to update membership lists for distribution groups while she is in Outlook? Currently, when she clicks the "To:" button in a new email, right-clicks the distribution group, selects properties, goes to "modify members", it lets her select the new member but then when she clicks ok she will get an error mssg saying she doesn't have permission to do this. thx! on the security tab of the DL, does she have the &qu...

Emails don't find contacts in restored Outlook
My hard drive burned up, so I replaced it, reinstalled, and imported everything into Outlook. The contacts are there if you click contacts. However, when sending emails, there is no way to connect to my contacts. It's like they are invisible. You never import Outlook data to restore it. You just open the Outlook data file. When you do, you will be able to configure your address book view to display your Contacts the same way as always: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;287563&Product=ol2002 -- Russ Valentine "Mike Row Soft" <MikeR...

Output the list of frequent data
Dear all, Here comes two problems. Problem 1: I have a list of strings (say, in the column A1:A100). How can I find the "mode" (i.e. the string appearing most frequently in the list? For example, if the list is APPLE APPLE BANANA APPLE CREAM CREAM BANANA CREAM APPLE DONUT then I want the result is APPLE. It seems that the MODE function does not suppot data type other than numbers. Is there any canned UDF for it? Problem 2: Following Problem 1, I want to generate a list of the 3 most frequent data in the list. If the list is the one in the example, I want to list to be...

Evaluate Yes/No Field Based on User Input
Hi. I have a field that is set to Yes/No. I want to ask the user a question and based on their response (whether they type yes or no) I want the query to check the field and return all records marked yes is they type yes and all other records if they type no. How can I do this? Also, could I present them with a simple text box (having yes and no choices) or maybe a check box so they won't have to type anything? If you help me with the first part, this question is a bonus. I'll be happy with just the first question answered. Thanks! A Yes/No field actually stores -...

change column name from letters to numbers?
I'm importing a 3rd party CSV file into Excel and then comparing some of the contents to a printed spec. Each numbered field in the spec corresponds to a column in the work sheet. I'd like to change the column headers from letters to numbers. Is that possible? Tools-->Options, General tab. Check the R1C1 Reference Style. ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com www.MyExpertsOnline.com "Jerry" <jerry@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:OoyPef$eFHA.3048@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > I'm importing a 3rd party CSV file into Excel and then comparing ...

Update table with Multi-select list box
I have a database with a tab control that has several pages in it (my boss loves tabs for navigation). Each page has a list box based on a category of training events that members of my office attend and the box is based on a query that selects the training events for the tab page's respective category. I select an item from the list, click a button, and go to a form with a text box showing the name of the training event I previously selected. On that form, I want to select mutiple names of office members from a list box (already created and source is the Office Roster table) and then c...

insert a user's name/id
I am aware of functions like =TODAY() which will automatically insert today's date into a cell. I was wondering if something similar existed for user ID's/name. When you create a new spreadsheet it bears the name of the user who first created it in the properties. Is there a function I can put in a cell that will show the user name/id who has opened or last mondified the file (for example)? Thanks. not that i know of but you can do it with code. here is some code we use in some of our files to keep a record of who opened a file, when and how long they were in it. to add cod...

Payee field is too small
CHECK CRD PURCHASE 08/14 CHIPOTL That's what my bank, Wells Fargo, downloads into my Payee field in money for a burrito at Chipotle. The bank's online account history gives the store's full name, location and some additional transaction reference numbers but it was all cut off at the 32nd character! Why does the available space in the Payee field on the screen stretch out so much further than this meager limit? Also, the payee rules manager needs to be a little more powerful to accommodate my bank's weird payee descriptions since the date of each transaction is put i...

Add working hours to date field
We offer computer support based on a certain response time in hours. I want to have a date field, on the case form, to automatically set x WORKING hours ahead, usually 8 hours. The actually hour value will be pulled from a contract. Does anyone know if this is possible or am I shooting way too high? ...

image list
hi, i want to list images using a list box. can i use CImageList for .gif images? anu ...

Failure to Transfer Order to Invoice
I have an order that I am trying to transfer to an invoice. On the order is a single kit item. It will not transfer to an invoice because GP is complaining about a back-order for some reason. Back orders are not used and none exist in the system at the moment. The quantity to invoice/quantity fulfilled for the kit are 0 and do not match the kit quantity. When I open the SOP Kit Options screen the component items are the same - qty fulfill/invoice are 0 when the quantity ordered for each is 1. I can not set them to 1 manually. They are either greyed out (qty to invoice) or i can not change th...

how do I export contacts from incredimail to hotmail
I use incredimail which holds all my contacts. How can I download them to another programme ie outlook address book You may find this article of interest How do I import from ??? in Outlook http://www.contactgenie.com/blog/?p=185 Karl -- ____________________________________________________________ Karl Timmermans - The Claxton Group ContactGenie - QuickPort/DataPort/Exporter/Toolkit/Duplicate Contact Mgr "Contact import/export/data management tools for Outlook '2000/2010" http://www.contactgenie.com "Incredimail contacts to outlook" <Incredimai...

List Box Size....
I've created a list box in a cell Data - Data Validation - Allow List The resulting list box containing many values is teeny tiny weeny small. Is there any way the listed information can be shown larger when the user selects this cell? Thanks Inadvance You can't change the font size for a Data Validation dropdown list. However, you can use programming to adjust the zoom setting when the cell is selected. There's some sample code here: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal08.html#Larger Wayne wrote: > I've created a list box in a cell > > Data - Data...

Global Address List not updating #3
Hi, We have SBS 2003, and last week I added various Distribution Groups. I added them in the Active Directory and Users tool and they appear there and under Distribution Groups in the Server Managment. However in Outlook, non of these distribution groups appear in the Global Address List. Anyone have an idea what could be wrong or how to force the Global Address List to see the changes? Thanks! What clients are you using? Have you tried a rebuild in ESM? Nue "Lee" <noreply@infinityconcepts.net> wrote in message news:uOC0kHMXGHA.752@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Hi...