Confused about starting Outlook

Can one of the experts straighten me out on a couple of points please.

I have Outlook 2002, which I use for task and appointment reminders,
and with ActiveSync (from Windows Mobile) for synchronising my XP Pro
PC with my Pocket PC.

I may have inadvertently changed Outlook's shortcut and it may not now
be staying open to handle the synchronising. But it's one of those
obscure types that don't show the full shortcut in its Properties
window, just a greyed out 'Microsoft Outlook 2002'.

From previous recollections it was
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OUTLOOK.EXE (that part I'm
sure about) plus a 'switch', something like '- embedded' or
'-embedding' or some such combination, with/without the '-' and the
extra space...

Also, I'm puzzled why my handy Autoruns program doesn't show any hits
for 'outlook', whether it's running or not.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

I'm not sure what your issue actually is now.

The "grayed out" shortcut is the original one from the installation which
you don't have to modify.
If you want to create a shortcut yourself, you are looking for the /recycle
switch.

What exactly are your synchronization issues?

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
http://www.howto-outlook.com/

http://www.msoutlook.info/

-----

"Terry Pinnell" <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote in message
> Can one of the experts straighten me out on a couple of points please.
>
> I have Outlook 2002, which I use for task and appointment reminders,
> and with ActiveSync (from Windows Mobile) for synchronising my XP Pro
> PC with my Pocket PC.
>
> I may have inadvertently changed Outlook's shortcut and it may not now
> be staying open to handle the synchronising. But it's one of those
> obscure types that don't show the full shortcut in its Properties
> window, just a greyed out 'Microsoft Outlook 2002'.
>
> From previous recollections it was
> C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OUTLOOK.EXE (that part I'm
> sure about) plus a 'switch', something like '- embedded' or
> '-embedding' or some such combination, with/without the '-' and the
> extra space...
>
> Also, I'm puzzled why my handy Autoruns program doesn't show any hits
> for 'outlook', whether it's running or not.
>
> --
> Terry, East Grinstead, UK

0
Roady
11/12/2009 10:56:09 AM
"Roady [MVP]" <newsgroups_DELETE_@_DELETE_sparnaaij_NO_._SPAM_net>
wrote:

>I'm not sure what your issue actually is now.
>
>The "grayed out" shortcut is the original one from the installation which
>you don't have to modify.
>If you want to create a shortcut yourself, you are looking for the /recycle
>switch.
>
>What exactly are your synchronization issues?

Thanks Robert, appreciate your coming back on this.

Sorry if I wasn't entirely clear - that's probably because I'm muddled
on several aspects! These may be connected or not, so I'll step
through them methodically:

1. First, I think I have my synchronisation back. Following much
googling, I followed this tip. In ActiveSync > Tools > Options, for
Tasks, Contacts, Calendar in turn, I UNCHECKED each, synced, CHECKED
them again, and resynced. So that may or may not have been connected
with my experimenting worth Outlook.

2. By using a program called Process Lassoo I was able to read the
full entry for Outlook.exe under the column 'Command line'. It was:
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OUTLOOK.EXE" -Embedding
(Is there no easier way to find out what these 'hidden' shortcuts
actually are?) What is this (and your suggested recycling switch)
supposed to do?

3. Sometimes (and I can't yet see the cause), OUTLOOK.EXE remains
running, even after I've closed it. It appears in XP Task Mgr.

4. Sometimes it will still start OK, even though it is already
'running' in the background. IOW, I can click the usual icon and my
Outlook Today window appears as usual. But sometimes it DOESN'T load!

5. The reason I wanted the shortcut mentioned in #2 above was because
I thought I'd write a little macro (with a program called Macro
Express Pro) that would open Outlook and open the New Task dialog.
That would be a little faster than my current method of clicking
Outlook 2002 in my QuickLaunch List and then choosing New then Task.

6. But a few minutes ago I installed a tool called Knockout
http://sunflowerhead.com/software/knockout/
which appears as if it will do that and more, including showing me
whether Outlook is/is not running. (It appears this problem is fairly
common?)

Any comments/insights would be appreciated please.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
#2 - that is not a user switch. It's only used by the program internals.
#3 - known problem with addins and sync. Remove the pda (to end the sync)
before closing outlook and it might close ok.
http://www.slipstick.com/problems/close.asp has a list of other programs
that can cause it.
#4 - caused by outlook not closing properly

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

> "Roady [MVP]" <newsgroups_DELETE_@_DELETE_sparnaaij_NO_._SPAM_net>
> wrote:
>
>>I'm not sure what your issue actually is now.
>>
>>The "grayed out" shortcut is the original one from the installation which
>>you don't have to modify.
>>If you want to create a shortcut yourself, you are looking for the
>>/recycle
>>switch.
>>
>>What exactly are your synchronization issues?
>
> Thanks Robert, appreciate your coming back on this.
>
> Sorry if I wasn't entirely clear - that's probably because I'm muddled
> on several aspects! These may be connected or not, so I'll step
> through them methodically:
>
> 1. First, I think I have my synchronisation back. Following much
> googling, I followed this tip. In ActiveSync > Tools > Options, for
> Tasks, Contacts, Calendar in turn, I UNCHECKED each, synced, CHECKED
> them again, and resynced. So that may or may not have been connected
> with my experimenting worth Outlook.
>
> 2. By using a program called Process Lassoo I was able to read the
> full entry for Outlook.exe under the column 'Command line'. It was:
> "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OUTLOOK.EXE" -Embedding
> (Is there no easier way to find out what these 'hidden' shortcuts
> actually are?) What is this (and your suggested recycling switch)
> supposed to do?
>
> 3. Sometimes (and I can't yet see the cause), OUTLOOK.EXE remains
> running, even after I've closed it. It appears in XP Task Mgr.
>
> 4. Sometimes it will still start OK, even though it is already
> 'running' in the background. IOW, I can click the usual icon and my
> Outlook Today window appears as usual. But sometimes it DOESN'T load!
>
> 5. The reason I wanted the shortcut mentioned in #2 above was because
> I thought I'd write a little macro (with a program called Macro
> Express Pro) that would open Outlook and open the New Task dialog.
> That would be a little faster than my current method of clicking
> Outlook 2002 in my QuickLaunch List and then choosing New then Task.
>
> 6. But a few minutes ago I installed a tool called Knockout
> http://sunflowerhead.com/software/knockout/
> which appears as if it will do that and more, including showing me
> whether Outlook is/is not running. (It appears this problem is fairly
> common?)
>
> Any comments/insights would be appreciated please.
>
> --
> Terry, East Grinstead, UK

0
outlookmvp (5838)
11/12/2009 12:15:40 PM
"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlookmvp@msn.com> wrote:

>#2 - that is not a user switch. It's only used by the program internals.
>#3 - known problem with addins and sync. Remove the pda (to end the sync)
>before closing outlook and it might close ok.
>http://www.slipstick.com/problems/close.asp has a list of other programs
>that can cause it.
>#4 - caused by outlook not closing properly

Thanks Diane.

#2 - Outlook seems to start OK whether I use the original shortcut
(which I assume has that 'embedded' switch as a parameter) or my own
home grown shortcut "C:\Program Files\Microsoft
Office\Office10\OUTLOOK.EXE". What is the distinction please?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
They both call the same program, so they should work the same :)

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

> "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlookmvp@msn.com> wrote:
>
>>#2 - that is not a user switch. It's only used by the program internals.
>>#3 - known problem with addins and sync. Remove the pda (to end the sync)
>>before closing outlook and it might close ok.
>>http://www.slipstick.com/problems/close.asp has a list of other programs
>>that can cause it.
>>#4 - caused by outlook not closing properly
>
> Thanks Diane.
>
> #2 - Outlook seems to start OK whether I use the original shortcut
> (which I assume has that 'embedded' switch as a parameter) or my own
> home grown shortcut "C:\Program Files\Microsoft
> Office\Office10\OUTLOOK.EXE". What is the distinction please?
>
> --
> Terry, East Grinstead, UK

0
outlookmvp (5838)

Outlook 2003
When I type in a name to address an email, unless I have mailed them already and they appear on the recently used list, I then get a Check Names dialogue box and have to then search for additional names, even though the name is in the Address Book. Not sure why this is happening - I do have the Option to Suggest Names checked? Any ideas? Thanks State the steps you are using more clearly. You are talking about two completely different features here, the first is autocompletion, the second autoresolution. The latter will not prompt you for a search unless you have entered an invali...

Merge to email w/Word and Outlook 2002 security issue
I am trying to merge email using Word and Outlook 2002. This merge consists of about 3000 recipients. When I commence the merge I get an Outlook Security warning that tells me that some outside program is trying to send email using my Outlook profile and I have to click Yes or No. It procedes to ask me for ever single recipient... I'm not going to sit there and say yes for 3000 people. Do you know of a setting somewhere that I can change to not ask me everytime? Thanks, Brian What service pack(s) have you applied? Did you choose HTML as the message format for the merge? -- ...

Outlook #252
Mozilla ate my outlook program. The program had plum disappeared off the PC. Express is available. Do I need to reinstall the system in order to get it back? Cas <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Mozilla ate my outlook program. I don't see how that's possible. Are you saying the file C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OfficeXX\Outlook.exe (where XX reflects the Office version) is not there? > Do I need to reinstall the system in order to get it back? It shouldn't hurt. -- Brian Tillman ...

I keep getting and error on start of Office x.v
I just purchased Office X.v and installed it onto my Mac. I also removed Office Test Drive before installing the full Office X.v, but i didn't empty my trash. So after I installed the full version i keep getting the error "An unexpected error occurred while trying to load Microsoft Framework X library" on all office programs. I read on mactopia that this could be caused by "lock" identities in the microsoft identity file, but all of mine are unlocked. When i tried to empty my trash, it would not empty a few microsoft file because it says they are in use. Framework ...

Outlook does not open all of a sudden
I have Office 2007 Business I cannot open Outlook all of a sudden. I get a message that The Outlook Folders cannot be opened, that the server is not available (?). I run Microsoft Office Diagnostic with no apparent problems, I tried to fix , to uninstall and reinstall. All other programs ( Excel, Word, power point, etc) are working fine. Can anybody give me a suggestion before I get another hard disk and reinstall everything? What is the exact error message? Paraphrasing does not help. Have you tried a new mail profile? --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the grou...

Expost Outlook PST file to Outlook 2002 PST file
I have a customer who has bought a copy of Office 2003 which he has now decided he doesn't like!! He has asked me to return his system to his old Office XP Professional. No problem except for one thing - I exported his PST file from Outlook 2003 (11.5608.5703) and tried to import it toOutlook 2002 (10.2627.2625) and the result was that Outlook 2002 doesn't recognise the format of the Outlook 2003 PST file! My customer isn't impressed!! Does nyone any ideas on how I can either export the file in a format that will be recognised AND keep all his folders and messages where t...

How do I rename my Outlook Mailbox?
Wrong name is shown next to my Outlook Mailbox in left column. How can I change it? gigsysgal <gigsysgal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Wrong name is shown next to my Outlook Mailbox in left column. How > can I change it? What version of Outlook? What type of account? If it's Exchange, speak with the Exchange admin. -- Brian Tillman ...

Outlook 200 messages all contain attachments
Just in the last day or so every message I have received has had attached a text file with the text of the message. This is in addition to the message itself. I don't know what I might have done to change an option and can't find anything in the options menus that might affect this. Any ideas? Bob Weinheimer Charleston, WV Have you tried rebooting? I had that happen once a long time ago and a reboot cured it. "Bob Weinheimer" <rmweinheimer@ntelos.net> wrote in message news:2DjXe.20694$tc7.18573@fe03.lga... > Just in the last day or so every message I have r...

Moving my Outlook files to new computer
How can I move my Outlook 2003 files (Contacts, Calendar, mail, etc) to a new computer? ...

Outlook 2003 with Business Contact Manager #5
I have XP Pro, Office 2003 Pro with Business Contact Manager. I am using MSN for dial up ISP but have other POP3 email accounts. 1-Can not get Outlook to send message out to mail server. SMTP. Error says it found the server, but there was no response from the server. Please verify that the port and SSL information is correct. I sent the error to the mail admin and he checked all setting on the server and says there is not problem on his end. I have never had to set SSL settings and port settings for email. 2-Just started Outlook 2003 and received the following error: There was a probl...

Outlook Newsreader???
Does Outlook 2003 have the capability to see newsgroup. Is there a way? It has the same ability as all previous versions of Outlook - it uses Outlook Express. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Freddy Torres asked: | Does Outlook 2003 have the capability to see newsgroup. Is there a | way? You can add a plug-in used for RSS called newsgator but s...

outlook mail merge from category
How do I separate out a particular category from my contacts to do a mail merge? Doesn't the "By Category" View of the Contacts Folder work for you? -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "vedaggett" <vedaggett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1CAD3829-DB46-4F94-9A79-9716640842DF@microsoft.com... > How do I separate out a particular category from my contacts to do a mail > merge? ...

Outlook 2000 and LDAP
I have configured a PC with Windows 2000 and Outlook 2000 (SP3) to use the Microsoft LDAP service to query our Windows 2003 domain controller. I have this working, however, every time I do a check name through Outlook the following error pops up each time and after this error the name is resolved: LDAP Directory: Operations error (1) If I configure a PC with Windows XP and Outlook 2002 (SP3) with the exact same LDAP settings, it works perfectly. I am able to check name without any errors popping up. Any ideas how to get rid of the Operations error (1) message in Outlook 2000? Righ...

Outlook failure to send Access reports
I email reports from Access using Outlook. At times, the email will hang up in my outbox and will not send even if I open it and try to send it manually. Any of you fine folks know what's going on and how to fix this? Thanks - Ken Smith -- KMS Technical Solutions ...

Outlook Web Access error
Got this error message when trying to access my mailbox from Outlook Web Access. "Unable to get renderer" This happened on a particular machine but work fine on other machine. Anyone know what going on? ...

Outlook express autoreply
Hi and TIA - I have Outlook Express 6 - how do I generate an autoreply message. Everywhere I have looked it mentions using the Inbox Assistant - I can't find that either. Outlook Express does not have an Out Of Office Assistant - plus, you are posting to the wrong group. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to my actual account will be deleted w/out reading. "Kim" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:016e01c3b05c$2c909ae0$a301280a@phx.gbl... | Hi ...

Outlook attachment problems
Dear Our oversea office sender using Outlook Sending message (HTML) insert a picture sending message to my office, when I have received the attachment auto duplicate one set in the message. I have asked the sender try remove the picture and FORWARD to my e-mail, but the attachment sill in the message and auto duplicate one set attachment. Out overseas office using MS SBS , user setup WG mode for outlook download message. I am not sure which part problems or virus effect. Please advice how to solve out the problems ASAP. JACKIE ...

Server-side solution for disabling Outlook stationery
We're running an Exchange 2000 mail server, with users accessing their mailboxes via Outlook 2000 or 2002. We'd like to find a way to either disable e-mail stationery use from the server, or prevent outgoing mail from containing stationery, again from the server. Have tried a few ideas so far, with no success. Telling users to stop using stationery is an option we'd like to avoid (we're rather non-confrontational). We prefer to stop it from the back end. Any ideas? Jim Minardo Field Technician IC-2000 ...

Outlook Express 6 #50
Please excuse - I'm new. How can I find Outlook Express news group? The outlook express newsgroups are under the microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer branch. "JoeB" <bizell.j@sbcglobal.com> wrote in message news:OCl1IdpsEHA.3336@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Please excuse - I'm new. How can I find Outlook Express news group? > > JoeB <bizell.j@sbcglobal.com> wrote: > Please excuse - I'm new. How can I find Outlook Express news group? Since you're using Outlook Express V6 to post to this group, you can click here: news://msnews.m...

Folder Context menu in Outlook
Hello, I have develop an Outlook COM Add-in with C#. This add-in use the Outlook Object Model and add a new menu in the Folder Context Menu command bar. The problem is when the current folder is for example "Inbox", and I click right on another folder, for example "MyFolder", I'm not able to retrieve the MAPIFolder of "MyFolder". Anybody have an idea? Thank you NotAMail ...

Outlook contacts and address book
I can export or transfer addresses from my contacts list but not from my contacts to my address book. Hence I cannot use the contacts in Word for envelops or mailings. How do I correct this? Molly ...

Sent Mail Error Outlook Express
IN OUTLOOK EXPRESS WHEN I SEND E-MAIL I GET AN OUTLOOK EXPRESS MESSAGE BOX THAT SAYS Some errors occurred while processing the requested tasks. Please review the list of errors below for more details. BUT THERE ARE NO DETAILS. THE EMAILS ARE NOT GOING TO THE SENT MAIL FOLDER. THE EMAILS ARE BEING DELIVERED AND RECEIVED BUT ON MY END THEY REMAIN IN THE OUTBOX AND ARE NOT GOING TO THE SENT MAIL FOLDER. I MUST CLEAR THE OUTLOOK EXPRESS ERROR BOX THEN DRAG THE SENT? MESSAGE OUT OF THE OUTBOX SO IT WON'T BE SENT AGAIN. ALSO YESTERDAY ALL PREVIOUS EMAIL IN THE SENT MAIL FOLDER DI...

Outlook 2003 hangs for Brad
Hi There, Brad in "down under" in Australia here. Can anyone please help with an answer why my outlook 2003 has been working fine up until a week ago and for the past 7 days hangs after a few emails comes in. Sends me a "not responding" message at the toolbar area. Have to restart and then it reloads the same emails and hangs again. Have contacted the ISP and deleted all incoming emails... problem is OK for a day after this is done but returns the next day when new emails come in. I'm desperate... hope someone out there can shed a little light... Many thanks be...

OUTLOOK FIELD NAME
Hi at all!!!I have this problem....I want export my mail from Lotus Notes into Microsoft Outlook 2000. I have the script already available but I don't know the field name of Outlook document. Something can help me??? Bye.... how in the heck did you get that far, i can't figure any of it out ----- giuliano wrote: ----- Hi at all!!!I have this problem....I want export my mail from Lotus Notes into Microsoft Outlook 2000. I have the script already available but I don't know the field name of Outlook document. Something can help me???...

Info needed on developing outlook addins
To enhance my web based services/application further, I want to develop add-in for outlook, here is a brief on what it will be like 1) it will have a button somewhere on outlook main toolbar 2) and on mail composing toolbar as well 3) when the button is clicked it will open up a form (or multiple forms) to take further input from user. 4) and based on input will compose the email automatically 5) finally queue it up for sending I am advance level c# developer but am new to office developments, I saw a lot of articles on internet on how to do what I need, but before diving into the coding ...