Clicking on a URL in a mail takes forever...

Outlook 2002 has a rather annoying behavior when I click onto a URL in a
mail:

First, this obviously blocks Outlook until it has started or forked of
Internet Explorer. Can one change that, i.e. that it starts IE in
another thread, so one can continue operating Outlook, and e.g. advance
to the next mail?
Second, starting IE from within Outlook takes FOREVER! Normally, when
start IE directly it is up and ready to accept a URL within 2 seconds.
When it is started via Outlook it easily takes up to 30 seconds until
the window appears and its status field then says "connecting..." for
another 10-30 seconds until the page is finally downloaded and
displayed. I.e. the entire process from clicking onto a URL until the
page is finally displayed and viewable easily take 30-60 seconds.

It is much faster to display the source of an HTML-mail, locate the URL,
copy it, start IE directly and paste the URL into the address field.

But - I mean, pardon me - but this can't be it, can it? Any idea, what
could cause these delays? What program might interfere here? Any idea
how to analyze or debug this to locate the culprit?

Michael

I'm having the same problem with Outlook 2003.  It seems to have begun as
soon as I installed IE 7.

Any suggestions?

Steve Morris

"Michael Moser" <michael-nospam.moser@nospam.freesurf.ch> wrote in message
> Outlook 2002 has a rather annoying behavior when I click onto a URL in a
> mail:
>
> First, this obviously blocks Outlook until it has started or forked of
> Internet Explorer. Can one change that, i.e. that it starts IE in another
> thread, so one can continue operating Outlook, and e.g. advance to the
> next mail?
> Second, starting IE from within Outlook takes FOREVER! Normally, when
> start IE directly it is up and ready to accept a URL within 2 seconds.
> When it is started via Outlook it easily takes up to 30 seconds until the
> window appears and its status field then says "connecting..." for another
> 10-30 seconds until the page is finally downloaded and displayed. I.e. the
> entire process from clicking onto a URL until the page is finally
> displayed and viewable easily take 30-60 seconds.
>
> It is much faster to display the source of an HTML-mail, locate the URL,
> copy it, start IE directly and paste the URL into the address field.
>
> But - I mean, pardon me - but this can't be it, can it? Any idea, what
> could cause these delays? What program might interfere here? Any idea how
> to analyze or debug this to locate the culprit?
>
> Michael

0
sjm8813 (1)

incoming mail
Hello frineds, the incoming mail does not get to my inbox until I try to open an existing email, strange problem. I am running Outlook XP sp2 with Exchange 5.5 sp4 in back. Does anybody know the reason for this behavior? Thanks. Good afternoon, If you mean you are not notified about new mail messages until you do something in Outlook, this is normal if the "new mail" notifications are not reaching your client from the server. This notification is sent via a UDP packet to the client, and is highly susceptible to being intercepted and dropped, especially when using MAPI via t...

How do I create a mailing list with current data in Excel?
I have a list of names, addresses and I would like to make it a list that can be used in a mail merge. Is this possible and how? http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mailmerg.htm -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please) "Amanda" <Amanda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:095EF751-B349-4C6C-BA5B-9D91ADF7DA9E@microsoft.com... >I have a list of names, addresses and I would like to make it a list that >can > be used in a mail merge. Is this possible and how? ...

Automatically check mail
I am using outlook 2003 and I have set it up to check my email automatically (i'm on cable internet). I went through Tools > Options > Mail Setup and checked the box that says Send Immediately when connected. I then selected the Send/Receive button and checked the box that says Schedule an automatic send/receive every 5 minutes. However, it never checks for me. I have to manually go through and click Send/Receive each time I want to know if mail has arrived. Is there a way to schedule outlook to check for you? I had it working for Outlook 2002. c-pac ...

Deny ability to mail-enable groups
Anyone know how to specifically deny a user or group the ability to mail-enable groups in an OU? I've tried to deny a group at the OU level on group objects. It seems that if a user or group has the ability to create a new group they also have the ability to mail-enable it. I've set deny permissions on all attribute except for the required attributes to create a group. But they still have access to create the email address for some reason. Any ideas? ...

How do I set up an outgoing e-mail page?
I've just got a new computer with Microsoft Outlook. I want to send e-mails, but cant find a "new memo" button. Drafts is just a blank white page, no header, no footer, no "to" or "from" lines for addresses, no send button. Where do I find these? Start Outlook. Make sure you are in an email folder (use the buttons on the left side of screen). Then in the top left of your screen you should have a New.. button. Click it and a new email will open. Write in the subject field, put an email address in the To field, and write the text in the big white area. ...

direct sent mail to specific folders
At my last job I was able to have an automatic choice if I wanted to keep a copy of an email I was sending, It was a simple pop up box that asked save yes or no. If I chose yes I then could choose what folder I filed it in. This was instead of having all email saved in a sent folder. At the new job no one knows how to set this up. Smaller IT dept, smaller help potential. I need help as I was spoiled! Hank "Hank Novak" <Hank Novak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EA33AD75-9837-41E1-A129-78E4060301C6@microsoft.com... > At my last job I was able to ...

junk mail buttons
it seems my junk mail buttons are missing "THIS IS JUNK" any ideas? outlook 2003 windows xp Meg <meg(removeme)@yahoo.com> wrote: > it seems my junk mail buttons are missing "THIS IS JUNK" > > any ideas? > > outlook 2003 > windows xp There is no such button in Outlook. There is (on Actions>Junk E-mail) an "Add Sender to Block Sender List", but that's not the same thing as marking a message as junk. -- Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] Meg, I beleive Outlook 2007 is the only version of Outlook that has a 'Junk'/'N...

OWA mail invisibly present (after exceeding mailbox size)
After I exceeded the mailbox size, Exchange 2003 created automatically a 'personal folders' tree and moved the mail to that personal folders. I changed the max folder size in exchange, but each time I open MSoutlook2003, emails from my normal inbox are moved to the personal folder. How can I disable this to happen? And: when I move the folders back into my normal inbox (I do this in MSoutlook2003), then these emails do not re-appear in OWA. However, the OWA inbox window shows a count of the emails, but does not show the emails themselves, so OWA keeps them 'invisible'. How c...

How can we save email sent via mail merge into sent items folder
When we use mail merge utility, is there a possibility to save items in sent folder so that they can be forwarded or copied to specific people later Hi, it is easy with our Mail Merge Toolkit for Microsoft Office: http://www.mapilab.com/outlook/mail_merge/ This screenshot is an answer to your question: http://www.mapilab.com/images/screenshots/mail_merge/mmt_3.gif Alexander Gorlach, MAPILab Ltd. http://www.mapilab.com/ "Sudhakar" <Sudhakar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F313B1EC-5DAD-4C9B-AA6D-701FD7E6CD70@microsoft.com... > When we use mail merge ...

Taking all BU data offline
Hi I am trying to find a way that a user can take all account - contact data offline in the outlook client relative to the Business Unit that they belong to. I have looked through all the options in the Local Data filters but am so far unable to find a way to do this as the Business unit field is not available in the options. Has anyone managed to do this ? Cheers Brian Here you go: Under the new Data Group: Account >> Select "Related Owner" >> Business Unit Do the same for contact and other objects you want to bring down Frank Lee Workopia, Inc. http://www.w...

Click button enter current time
I am creating a form using Access 2003. One field on my form is Start. I would like to add a button next to this field so that when I click the button on the Form the current time will display in the field. Can you tell me what I need to do to the Start field in the table and the form where it exists in order to make this work? Teddy wrote: > I am creating a form using Access 2003. One field on my form is Start. I > would like to add a button next to this field so that when I click the > button on the Form the current time will display in the field. > >...

Disconnected contact and addresses from e-mail
Help! There is a disconnect from my e-mail and my cntact list. When I select new e-mail in Outlook 2003 and then hit "to" there is a disconnect and brings me to a blank select windows window. I have to manually go into my contact list and copy the address that I want to send to and then go back to the e-mail and paste it in. If I am sending to multiple reciepients, you can imagine the time involved. Your help is truly appreciated. Mike Is your contact folder enabled as an Outlook Address Book? Do you have the Outlook Address book service installed? What is the versio...

Creating some sort of button that will take you to a new worksheet
I am not so much of a new user, but use Excel so infrequently that I usually spend an entire day re-learning everything. I am using Excel 2002. My client is requesting I create a form in Excel. Everything was going well until I get to the request where they want some sort of button or something that will allow them to click it and automatically be taken to a new form (work sheet) if they click it. I am thinking it should go to the first cell enterable cell in the new worksheet. Any suggestions? Is this even possible? Do you want to move to another (existing) sheet, or do you want t...

Send Exchange mail first than send mail in local Laptop.
I work offline with my Outlook Mail on my Laptop. When I connect to my Exchange Server 5.5 it trys to send out my mails. If my Exchange mailbox is full the Server does not sent out my mail. It sents back to my Laptop as undelivered mail. Then it download all my mails from my Exchange mailbox to my local Laptop Outlook Mailbox. Now as my Exchange Server Mailbox is empty I am able to send mails. So I have to resent all the undelivered mail. If the Exchange Server downloads all my incomming mails first and sent out my mails later than I would not have the above problem as my Exchange mail...

outlook and crm url
I'm trying to install the crm sales for outlook but when the program ask the crm url if i try to write the ip of the server crm the software not recognized the right url and don't continue with the installation. Someone can help me? Ps sorry for my english -- No one is to blame Inviato da www.mynewsgate.net You must type the url the the crm server http://servername J Goodwin On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 09:12:40 GMT, "Charlie" <carlettog@tiscali.it> wrote: >I'm trying to install the crm sales for outlook but when the program >ask the crm url if i try to write...

Outlook and E-mail Accounts
Hello there, Here is my problem... I have just recently added another e-mail account to my outlook. My old e-mail address (COX.NET) is my default, all info in incoming and out-going servers are correct. I can receive e-mails through outlook for my COX.NET e-mail address (only e-mail address I use), but cannot send new e-mails or reply to e-mails received through outlook. I recently moved out of the COX service area (COX account is still active), and had to change my ISP provider to ATT.NET. Is this the reason that my COX.NET mail does not send through my outlook? Is there a way to...

O2k3: Mail not going out.
I have 32 messages sitting in my outbox that will not go out. No error messages, I even tried a send all. Exchange 2003/O2k3 all patchs. Before sending out I disabled Internet E-mail and Exchange protection in SAV 10. I even restarted Outlook. Thanks, Eric Are you working offline? -- K. Orland Thoughts lead on to purposes; purposes go forth in action; actions form habits; habits decide character; and character fixes our destiny "Eric C. Vogel" wrote: > I have 32 messages sitting in my outbox that will not go out. No error > messages, I even tried a send all. >...

Strange characters in new mail body
After I copied data from Excel into an email I get strange characters in the body of each new mail. This is somehow connected with Word since the problem goes away if I disable "Use Microsoft Word for writing email". If anyone knows a fix for this I would be grateful. -TH ...

Sending mail 02-01-10
I just set up a new acct. I can receive email fine just having problems sending email. I have changed my outgoing server and sent a message to the test address and it says its working. If I send to anyone besides the test address I get a message back from mail administator.saying mail system error in subject. Using AT&T Air Card? - -- bstanley To get help, you will need to provide more information than that. Note that it is unlikely the problem is a Windows Mail problem. You say "mail system error" but that is not enough. Can you copy and paste the relev...

Outlook 2003 Personal Folders: Does encryption slow access to mail?
Hi, I have a 2Gb .pst file that I have built up over several years. (Never have deleted good mail or autoarchived anything). This .pst file is of course a 97-2002 version .pst file. I have reached the file size limit for this. I an error message coming up that I need to switch to the new kind of .pst file. When creating a new file there is the option for "compressible encryption" or "high encryption". With a large mail box (2Gb) would using either encryption method this significantly slow down Outlook functions such as searches through contacts and mail folders. Would one ...

How to Take Ownership of Registry-Key
Hi folks ! I need to programmatically take ownership of a registry-key as administrator. To test this , i created a key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\TestKey and removed all accessrights from this key using RegEdt32. Now i tried to set the accessrights by my programm. Since i do not have rights to this key, i cannot open the key to get a handle for modifying the rights. Microsoft wrote in KB-Article 111546: < To take ownership of a registry key it is necessary to have a handle to the key. A handle to the key can be obtained by opening the key with a registry API (application programming ...

exchange does not recieve mail
Hi everyone I have a w2k Backoffice server with exchange that is running exchange 6.0 with service pack 3. the problem is that I can't recieve mail. My ISP is delivering directly to my mailserver mail.myorg.com I have installed a new firewall/router at the same external an internal IP as the old one, with smtp port 25 routed to the server running exchange, the same routing table as my old firewall. I have a static WAN ip. With the old firewall (Linux box) it works fine, with the new firewall (d-link dfl-200) everything works except for incomming mail. I have tested telnet on the new ...

Can't reply to e-mail or send e-mail
Can not reply ,forword or send any E-Mails ! On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 16:07:13 -0400, "Gabriel A.Williams Sr." <williamssrgabriela@yahoo.com> wrote: >Can not reply ,forword or send any E-Mails ! I would suggest that you post in a forum supporting your email software, or contact Yahoo. This forum is for the database software Microsoft Access, and not the right place for your question. When you do find a forum for your email, please indicate what program you're using and enough information that someone who cannot see your screen might have a chance to answer. -...

CRM 3.0
Just working with the beta of 3.0. Is there a quick way to send an e-mail template or even just an e-mail to a selected list of contact. What I mean is, in a list of contacts, if I choose say 3 or 4 contacts, is there some way to quickly choose somehow to send them an e-mail. If I choose them and create a new e-mail task their names do not appear in the to list. Also if I want to send a template e-mail to them, can it be done this way or does it have to be done another way? I know you can create an e-mail activity, then add all the names into the to list but this would be the revers...

transfering mail from Outlook to my new windows live
I have just upgraded to windows 7 and have windows live for my emails and calendar. How do i tranfer the information on my old computer to my new one. I have outlook on the old computer and want to transfer the emails and calndar info to the new computer. how do I do this? can i do this? With windows 7, because there is so many bells and whistles, I bought Windows 7 Bible by Jim Boyce. Although it costs $40.00 it is well worth it. Your question is answered in detail in the book. -- kdfletcher@snet.net "rodsandmegs" <rodsandmegs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrot...