Changing My Outlook 2003 PST from 97-2002 to Unicode Format?

What is the best way to get the data from my PST - presently in the
older Outlook 97-2002 format - into a new PST in the newer Outlook
2003 Unicose format?  (I am using Outlook 2003)

I've had Outlook installed as part of MS Office for a few years,
starting with, I believe, OL 97.

Each time I upgraded to a new version, I just ran the installer and
allowed it to use the default.  When it sensed, or asked and I
responded, the previous version's data it just "took over" the
existing PST.  Always seemed OK to me.

But now that I have had Office/Outlook 2003 installed for over a year,
I get a lot of errors that I did not understand, but I was always able
to keep using everything so I didn't worry much about them.  But the
errors are getting more frequent and are beginning to affect me more
and more.  Like when I click on To: while composing an email message
to add recipients and some contacts just do not show in there, yet
they are there in my default contacts folder and that is set as the
address book.  Also at times, when I am opening, editing, and saving
contacts, after I edit a few Outlook cannot open anymore.  I get
memory errors but the memory is actually in good shape.

Now, however, I realize that these errors appear to be, at least in
part, due to using a PST file with an Outlook 97-2002 format.
Scanpst.exe, Inbox Repair Tool, and even reinstalling Office does not
fix the errors.  I've read what I can find out about this and it seems
that all of the above-mentioned tools do not touch the user files,
even though they appear to be the problem.  That would explain why the
errors persist.  However from what I've read, the PST I use cannot be
converted from the OL 97-2002 format to the newer Unicode OL 2003
format.  Likewise, all articles claim that importing the existing PST
data into a new Unicode PST is nothing but trouble.  Yet apparently
there are ways to somehow get the old PST's data into a new OL 2003
format.

I appreciate any help with this!

--
Jim McGowan
0

On Sun, 21 May 2006 02:13:22 -0400, Jim McGowan <jcmcgowan@gmail.com>
wrote:

>What is the best way to get the data from my PST - presently in the
>older Outlook 97-2002 format - into a new PST in the newer Outlook
>2003 Unicose format?  (I am using Outlook 2003)

Verify that your current .pst file in Outlook 2003 is using the
Unicode format. If it is not, create a new .pst file using the new
format. Then, open the older .pst file in Outlook 2003 (make sure not
to overwrite a .pst file with the same name!) and copy everything that
you want to transfer from the older .pst file folders into the newer
format .pst file's folders.
--
<<<SgtRich>>>
Chicago, Illinois, USA
<UseNewsgroup@NotEmail.invalid> wrote:

>On Sun, 21 May 2006 02:13:22 -0400, Jim McGowan <jcmcgowan@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>What is the best way to get the data from my PST - presently in the
>>older Outlook 97-2002 format - into a new PST in the newer Outlook
>>2003 Unicose format?  (I am using Outlook 2003)
>>
>Verify that your current .pst file in Outlook 2003 is using the
>Unicode format. If it is not, create a new .pst file using the new
>format. Then, open the older .pst file in Outlook 2003 (make sure not
>to overwrite a .pst file with the same name!) and copy everything that
>you want to transfer from the older .pst file folders into the newer
>format .pst file's folders.

SgtRich,

Current PST is definitely not Unicode.  So I will create a new PST
within 2003 and that should then be Unicode.

As for the "...copy everything..." direction, You mean via the regular
copy/paste commands?  How much can be copied at a time?  Eg, within
the email folders can I grab the contents entire folders and Ctrl+C /
Ctrl+V?  And how do I copy/paste calendar events?  Copy the whole
folder named Calendar?

Thanks.

--
Jim McGowan
0
"Jim McGowan" <jcmcgowan@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 21 May 2006 01:41:43 -0500, SgtRich
> <UseNewsgroup@NotEmail.invalid> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 21 May 2006 02:13:22 -0400, Jim McGowan <jcmcgowan@gmail.com>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>What is the best way to get the data from my PST - presently in the
>>>older Outlook 97-2002 format - into a new PST in the newer Outlook
>>>2003 Unicose format?  (I am using Outlook 2003)
>>>
>>Verify that your current .pst file in Outlook 2003 is using the
>>Unicode format. If it is not, create a new .pst file using the new
>>format. Then, open the older .pst file in Outlook 2003 (make sure not
>>to overwrite a .pst file with the same name!) and copy everything that
>>you want to transfer from the older .pst file folders into the newer
>>format .pst file's folders.
>
> SgtRich,
>
> Current PST is definitely not Unicode.  So I will create a new PST
> within 2003 and that should then be Unicode.
>
> As for the "...copy everything..." direction, You mean via the regular
> copy/paste commands?  How much can be copied at a time?  Eg, within
> the email folders can I grab the contents entire folders and Ctrl+C /
> Ctrl+V?  And how do I copy/paste calendar events?  Copy the whole
> folder named Calendar?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Jim McGowan

0
russval1 (2100)
5/21/2006 10:42:17 AM
On Sun, 21 May 2006 06:42:17 -0400, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"
<russval@gmail.com> wrote:

>The most reliable way is simply to copy the contents of one folder to
>another (Select All > Copy to Folder...). Copying the folder itself will
>create a second folder which cannot be set as default. Many users are
>tempted to use Outlook's import routine to transfer data. Avoid it. It is
>flawed. It will lose data and have other unintended consequences such as
>creating a duplicate PST file.
>For folders such as calendar, you'll need to create a list view (e.g., "By
>category") so you can select all appointments at once. --
>Russ Valentine
>[MVP-Outlook]

Thanks Russ. This is what I needed.

Much appreciated!

--
Jim McGowan
0
Jim McGowan <jcmcgowan@gmail.com> wrote:

> As for the "...copy everything..." direction, You mean via the regular
> copy/paste commands?  How much can be copied at a time?  Eg, within
> the email folders can I grab the contents entire folders and Ctrl+C /
> Ctrl+V?  And how do I copy/paste calendar events?  Copy the whole
> folder named Calendar?

Posted many times by me and others.  Google Groups is your friend.
<http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.outlook/msg/6c494918872e06fc>
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
5/22/2006 7:36:16 PM
On Mon, 22 May 2006 15:36:16 -0400, "Brian Tillman"
<tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Jim McGowan <jcmcgowan@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> As for the "...copy everything..." direction, You mean via the regular
>> copy/paste commands?  How much can be copied at a time?  Eg, within
>> the email folders can I grab the contents entire folders and Ctrl+C /
>> Ctrl+V?  And how do I copy/paste calendar events?  Copy the whole
>> folder named Calendar?
>
>Posted many times by me and others.  Google Groups is your friend.
><http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.outlook/msg/6c494918872e06fc>

Thanks Brian - I always try searching directly here on Usenet here,
with Agent Forte.

Senseless, I guess...

--
Jim McGowan
0
<russval@gmail.com> wrote:

>The most reliable way is simply to copy the contents of one folder to
>another (Select All > Copy to Folder...). Copying the folder itself will
>create a second folder which cannot be set as default. Many users are
>tempted to use Outlook's import routine to transfer data. Avoid it. It is
>flawed. It will lose data and have other unintended consequences such as
>creating a duplicate PST file.
>For folders such as calendar, you'll need to create a list view (e.g., "By
>category") so you can select all appointments at once. --
>Russ Valentine
>[MVP-Outlook]

Well, all has been moved to the new PST. Good and bad news:

Good - it all went relatively painlessly. A heck of a lot of copying,
dragging, etc.  Re-creating rules, search folders, etc.  But
eventually I finished.

Bad news:  Outlook 2003 is acting up now that I am using the
2003-format PST.  Rules keep failing. I have rules set up to move
messages to certain folders for certain email accounts. I set them all
up, run them as a test - all is well. They all work when I test them.
Then I get a message that matches a rule and I get a rules error
saying that the target folder doesn't exist. I fix it - it breaks.
Continually.

Next, after setting up three or four search folders, before I finsh
the third or fourth, Outlook terminates. No warning at all, no error
message, no audible alert. It just quietly closes. And when I open it
again there are no search folders.

Plus, it is definitely slower than it was before the switch.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

--
Jim McGowan
0
> On Sun, 21 May 2006 06:42:17 -0400, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"
> <russval@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>The most reliable way is simply to copy the contents of one folder to
>>another (Select All > Copy to Folder...). Copying the folder itself will
>>create a second folder which cannot be set as default. Many users are
>>tempted to use Outlook's import routine to transfer data. Avoid it. It is
>>flawed. It will lose data and have other unintended consequences such as
>>creating a duplicate PST file.
>>For folders such as calendar, you'll need to create a list view (e.g., "By
>>category") so you can select all appointments at once. --
>>Russ Valentine
>>[MVP-Outlook]
>
> Well, all has been moved to the new PST. Good and bad news:
>
> Good - it all went relatively painlessly. A heck of a lot of copying,
> dragging, etc.  Re-creating rules, search folders, etc.  But
> eventually I finished.
>
> Bad news:  Outlook 2003 is acting up now that I am using the
> 2003-format PST.  Rules keep failing. I have rules set up to move
> messages to certain folders for certain email accounts. I set them all
> up, run them as a test - all is well. They all work when I test them.
> Then I get a message that matches a rule and I get a rules error
> saying that the target folder doesn't exist. I fix it - it breaks.
> Continually.
>
> Next, after setting up three or four search folders, before I finsh
> the third or fourth, Outlook terminates. No warning at all, no error
> message, no audible alert. It just quietly closes. And when I open it
> again there are no search folders.
>
> Plus, it is definitely slower than it was before the switch.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Jim McGowan

0
russval1 (2100)
5/23/2006 12:43:54 AM
On Mon, 22 May 2006 20:43:54 -0400, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"
<russval@gmail.com> wrote:

>2 suggestions:
>1. Reset your rules by stepping through them and directing them to the
>proper Folders. I do not understand why rules would be affected if all you
>did was copy data from another PST file. There must be more to this story.
>Did you change the default delivery location for this profile?
>2. Reset your Outlook Address Book by removing it from the profile,
>restarting Outlook, and re-adding it. I do not understand why search
>functions would be affected if all you did was copy data from another PST
>file. There must be more to this story. Did you change the default delivery
>location for this profile?

Russ,

1. I do keep stepping through the rules and creating them from
scratch. It's like the rules are OK and the target folders recognized
when I first create them and click on "Apply" right then, but then do
not recognize them when trying to process an actual incoming message.

And yes, after creating the new PST and new folders, and then copying
all messages from the old PST, I went into "Accounts" and reset the
mail delivery location to this newly created PST. Wasn't I supposed to
do that? It was the only way I could find to have an Inbox, etc.,
created for this PST and to have new messages go to these folders.

It does seem that this would be the likely place for something to go
wrong, as essages nowl being directed to this PST and the rules not
recognizing the target folders would seem to indicate that something
is failing in the mail direction/location.

I'll try walking through it once again - checking the default PST and
re-creating all rules once more.

I'll also reset the address book as you suggested.

Thanks.

--
Jim McGowan
0
<russval@gmail.com> wrote:

>2 suggestions:
>1. Reset your rules by stepping through them and directing them to the
>proper Folders. I do not understand why rules would be affected if all you
>did was copy data from another PST file. There must be more to this story.
>Did you change the default delivery location for this profile?
>2. Reset your Outlook Address Book by removing it from the profile,
>restarting Outlook, and re-adding it. I do not understand why search
>functions would be affected if all you did was copy data from another PST
>file. There must be more to this story. Did you change the default delivery
>location for this profile?

More information.

I noticed that upon opening Outlook right after my last post here,
only three messages showed in the folder visible when Outlook starts.
Yet I could see that my Inbox had several more unread messages than
that according to the Unread indicator next to the Inbox folder. I
also notices that no folder in the left pane was highlighted.

When I clicked on Inbox, all of the messages there were shown. So I
then clicked File>Open and opened the Outlook.pst file that I moved
all the messages from to this new PST, and sure enough the Inbox there
had those three messages that showed in the message pane when Outlook
is first opened.

So when Outlook starts, even though that old Outlook.pst file is
supposedly not open, and does not show at all in the folder pane, the
messages in the Inbox of that old PST are showing?!?!

Double checking the defaultg mail delivery location shows ONLY the new
PST, and the same for the address book. I cannot even see the old PST
unless I click File>Open first and manually open it.

What could be wrong here? I'm confused!

--
Jim McGowan
0
> On Mon, 22 May 2006 20:43:54 -0400, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"
> <russval@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>2 suggestions:
>>1. Reset your rules by stepping through them and directing them to the
>>proper Folders. I do not understand why rules would be affected if all you
>>did was copy data from another PST file. There must be more to this story.
>>Did you change the default delivery location for this profile?
>>2. Reset your Outlook Address Book by removing it from the profile,
>>restarting Outlook, and re-adding it. I do not understand why search
>>functions would be affected if all you did was copy data from another PST
>>file. There must be more to this story. Did you change the default
>>delivery
>>location for this profile?
>
> More information.
>
> I noticed that upon opening Outlook right after my last post here,
> only three messages showed in the folder visible when Outlook starts.
> Yet I could see that my Inbox had several more unread messages than
> that according to the Unread indicator next to the Inbox folder. I
> also notices that no folder in the left pane was highlighted.
>
> When I clicked on Inbox, all of the messages there were shown. So I
> then clicked File>Open and opened the Outlook.pst file that I moved
> all the messages from to this new PST, and sure enough the Inbox there
> had those three messages that showed in the message pane when Outlook
> is first opened.
>
> So when Outlook starts, even though that old Outlook.pst file is
> supposedly not open, and does not show at all in the folder pane, the
> messages in the Inbox of that old PST are showing?!?!
>
> Double checking the defaultg mail delivery location shows ONLY the new
> PST, and the same for the address book. I cannot even see the old PST
> unless I click File>Open first and manually open it.
>
> What could be wrong here? I'm confused!
>
> --
> Jim McGowan

0
russval1 (2100)
5/23/2006 9:48:48 AM
Russ,

On Tue, 23 May 2006 05:48:48 -0400, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"
<russval@gmail.com> wrote:
>Wait a minute. Are you saying you set your new PST file as the default
>_after_ you transferred the data into it?

Yep, sure did. Didn't realize that I needed a new "Profile".
Everything here appeared to be geared toward creating the new PST -
I've never used Profiles for email. I'm the one and only user on my
PC's, thus I have never had to be concerned with user profiles of any
sort.

>You should have created your new PST file in a new profile, made sure it is
>the default, then opened your old PST file and transferred the data from it.
>Your rules will not transfer. You must export them separately as an RWZ
>file.

So now I guess I have to look into creating a Profile. This will be an
entirely new task. Oddly enough, doing the same thing on my desktop PC
as I did on my notebook (the problem child I've been posting about)
seems to be working fine. None of the same issues as those afflicting
my notebook PC are present.

Well, off to research and read up on Outlook profiles.

Thanks.

--
Jim McGowan
0
Jim McGowan <jcmcgowan@gmail.com> wrote:

> I noticed that upon opening Outlook right after my last post here,
> only three messages showed in the folder visible when Outlook starts.
> Yet I could see that my Inbox had several more unread messages than
> that according to the Unread indicator next to the Inbox folder. I
> also notices that no folder in the left pane was highlighted.
>
> When I clicked on Inbox, all of the messages there were shown. So I
> then clicked File>Open and opened the Outlook.pst file that I moved
> all the messages from to this new PST, and sure enough the Inbox there
> had those three messages that showed in the message pane when Outlook
> is first opened.

After you switched the delivery location, I'm assuming your stopped and
restarted Outlook.  However, the behavior you describe seems to indicate
that Outlook still believes the old PST is the delivery location.  That
tells me that perhaps Outlook DIDN'T close and restart.  Stop Outlook again
and use Task Manager to make sure OUTLOOK.EXE is no longer in the process
list or just reboot your PC.  See if that makes a difference.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
5/23/2006 12:57:46 PM
Jim McGowan <jcmcgowan@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yep, sure did. Didn't realize that I needed a new "Profile".

You shouldn't need a new profile, but it can't hurt.

http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/newprofile.htm
--
Brian Tillman
0
> Russ,
>
> On Tue, 23 May 2006 05:48:48 -0400, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"
> <russval@gmail.com> wrote:
>>Wait a minute. Are you saying you set your new PST file as the default
>>_after_ you transferred the data into it?
>
> Yep, sure did. Didn't realize that I needed a new "Profile".
> Everything here appeared to be geared toward creating the new PST -
> I've never used Profiles for email. I'm the one and only user on my
> PC's, thus I have never had to be concerned with user profiles of any
> sort.
>
>>You should have created your new PST file in a new profile, made sure it
>>is
>>the default, then opened your old PST file and transferred the data from
>>it.
>>Your rules will not transfer. You must export them separately as an RWZ
>>file.
>
> So now I guess I have to look into creating a Profile. This will be an
> entirely new task. Oddly enough, doing the same thing on my desktop PC
> as I did on my notebook (the problem child I've been posting about)
> seems to be working fine. None of the same issues as those afflicting
> my notebook PC are present.
>
> Well, off to research and read up on Outlook profiles.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Jim McGowan

0
russval1 (2100)
5/23/2006 7:30:17 PM
On Tue, 23 May 2006 15:30:17 -0400, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"
<russval@gmail.com> wrote:

>Initially, you would not have needed a new profile. You could have created a
>new PST file in the new format, but you needed to set it immediately to be
>the default and then restart Outlook before you started transferring
>information. The only reason you need a new profile now is that your current
>profile is corrupt beyond repair and you will never get either one of these
>files to be your default exclusively.
>Creating new profiles is easy and a useful technique to learn. Profiles
>easily get corrupted and creating new ones solve a host of common problems.
>Brian has posted links to the methods.

Russ, Brian:

All sounds reasonable. Not fun, mind you... But I guess I'll have to
work with it. I knew there were reasons I stopped using this blasted
application a few years ago!  :(

Anyway, for now the new PST is working OK. This morning I got rid of
the old PST altogether, as it seemed that the Inbox in there was for
some reason still the first that the new PST file was looking at. I
didn't delete it altogether, but simply moved it to another location,
in effect hiding it from Outlook.

BTW, Russ, I still have copies of the original PST before it became
corrupted. Both backup copies made with the pfbackup.exe application
(from Microsoft), and also the PST file on my desktop PC. I try to
keep the PST files as close as possible on both PC's, as I need access
to my email on either machine. So if I needed to, I could copy that
one over to the notebook.

Wish there was a good way to actually keep them synchronized but I
can't find any that work very well. So every once in a while I copy
one PST to the other PC and, while I do not set it as the default
delivery location, I can always open it in Outlook to view messages.

If either of you hear about a working synchronization method for
Outlook, please post about it! (Other than Plaxo, please}.

Thanks for all the assistance guys. You've been a lot of help! I
appreciate your time.

--
Jim McGowan
0
> On Tue, 23 May 2006 15:30:17 -0400, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"
> <russval@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Initially, you would not have needed a new profile. You could have created
>>new PST file in the new format, but you needed to set it immediately to be
>>the default and then restart Outlook before you started transferring
>>information. The only reason you need a new profile now is that your
>>current
>>profile is corrupt beyond repair and you will never get either one of
>>these
>>files to be your default exclusively.
>>Creating new profiles is easy and a useful technique to learn. Profiles
>>easily get corrupted and creating new ones solve a host of common
>>problems.
>>Brian has posted links to the methods.
>
> Russ, Brian:
>
> All sounds reasonable. Not fun, mind you... But I guess I'll have to
> work with it. I knew there were reasons I stopped using this blasted
> application a few years ago!  :(
>
> Anyway, for now the new PST is working OK. This morning I got rid of
> the old PST altogether, as it seemed that the Inbox in there was for
> some reason still the first that the new PST file was looking at. I
> didn't delete it altogether, but simply moved it to another location,
> in effect hiding it from Outlook.
>
> BTW, Russ, I still have copies of the original PST before it became
> corrupted. Both backup copies made with the pfbackup.exe application
> (from Microsoft), and also the PST file on my desktop PC. I try to
> keep the PST files as close as possible on both PC's, as I need access
> to my email on either machine. So if I needed to, I could copy that
> one over to the notebook.
>
> Wish there was a good way to actually keep them synchronized but I
> can't find any that work very well. So every once in a while I copy
> one PST to the other PC and, while I do not set it as the default
> delivery location, I can always open it in Outlook to view messages.
>
> If either of you hear about a working synchronization method for
> Outlook, please post about it! (Other than Plaxo, please}.
>
> Thanks for all the assistance guys. You've been a lot of help! I
> appreciate your time.
>
> --
> Jim McGowan

0
russval1 (2100)

conditional formatting sort

formatting dates by year #2
I would like to know if there is a way to format dates so that they are formatted by year only. For example, if I click on Format -> Cells, there are a bunch of options, but none of them list to show the year only, just mm/dd/yy or mm/yy, etc. I am trying to create a chart so that only the year shows up. Also, I have tried doing Custom->and "yyyy" in type, but only 1 specific year shows up (i.e. 1905) for all the values. I would like to keep my values. Thanks much! ...

CRM address book in Outlook

Outlook 2002 (office xp developer suite)

OL 2002 Hanging up When Attaching Docs

Outlook Sales

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

Excel 97 #9