Change of address auto-reply rule is not working in Outlook 2003

Hello,

I've been trying to set up an auto-reply rule in Outlook 2003 home (that is,
using my POP account with my ISP). I am in the process of changing my ISP,
and want to send an auto-reply message to all entries in my Outlook contacts
folder.

I specified the following conditions in the rule:
- sender is in Contacts address book, and on this machine only
- reply using C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application
Data\Microsoft\Templates\New address.oft

The template contains a simple update email text message, the recipient and
subject fields are empty.

I treid testing the rule by sending a message to myself, from both my ISP
account and from Gmail. I already have an entry for myself in the Outlook
contacts folder for these two addresses.

When I test the rule on the Inbox folders, no auto-reply messages are sent,
or even queued for sending in the Outbox folder.
Is there a better way to test and debug this this, for example by examining
a log file somewhere?

Many thanks,
Paul

autoreply rules only work for the first message from a person.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

"Paul Moore" <pauldotmoore@pandora.be> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I've been trying to set up an auto-reply rule in Outlook 2003 home (that
> is, using my POP account with my ISP). I am in the process of changing my
> ISP, and want to send an auto-reply message to all entries in my Outlook
> contacts folder.
>
> I specified the following conditions in the rule:
> - sender is in Contacts address book, and on this machine only
> - reply using C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application
> Data\Microsoft\Templates\New address.oft
>
> The template contains a simple update email text message, the recipient
> and subject fields are empty.
>
> I treid testing the rule by sending a message to myself, from both my ISP
> account and from Gmail. I already have an entry for myself in the Outlook
> contacts folder for these two addresses.
>
> When I test the rule on the Inbox folders, no auto-reply messages are
> sent, or even queued for sending in the Outbox folder.
> Is there a better way to test and debug this this, for example by
> examining a log file somewhere?
>
> Many thanks,
> Paul

0
outlookmvp (5838)
11/2/2008 5:02:54 PM
Hi Diane,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I have several emails inb my Inbox, one each from several people in my
Contacts folder, also two from myself (one each from my ISP account and my
gmail account). Should the auto-reply rule work in this case?

Is this what you mean?

Regards,
Paul

> autoreply rules only work for the first message from a person.
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>
> Outlook Tips by email:

> http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx or point your
> newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.
>

> "Paul Moore" <pauldotmoore@pandora.be> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've been trying to set up an auto-reply rule in Outlook 2003 home (that
>> is, using my POP account with my ISP). I am in the process of changing my
>> ISP, and want to send an auto-reply message to all entries in my Outlook
>> contacts folder.
>>
>> I specified the following conditions in the rule:
>> - sender is in Contacts address book, and on this machine only
>> - reply using C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application
>> Data\Microsoft\Templates\New address.oft
>>
>> The template contains a simple update email text message, the recipient
>> and subject fields are empty.
>>
>> I treid testing the rule by sending a message to myself, from both my ISP
>> account and from Gmail. I already have an entry for myself in the Outlook
>> contacts folder for these two addresses.
>>
>> When I test the rule on the Inbox folders, no auto-reply messages are
>> sent, or even queued for sending in the Outbox folder.
>> Is there a better way to test and debug this this, for example by
>> examining a log file somewhere?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> Paul

Yes, it should work with those. If you are testing the rule with your email
address, you need to keep restarting outlook.

--

> Hi Diane,
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> Yes, I have several emails inb my Inbox, one each from several people in
> my Contacts folder, also two from myself (one each from my ISP account and
> my gmail account). Should the auto-reply rule work in this case?
>
> Is this what you mean?
>
> Regards,
> Paul
>

> "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlookmvp@msn.com> wrote in message
>> autoreply rules only work for the first message from a person.
>>
>> --
>> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>>
>> Outlook Tips by email:
>> dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net

>> You can access this newsgroup by visiting
>> http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx or point
>> your newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.
>>

>> "Paul Moore" <pauldotmoore@pandora.be> wrote in message
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I've been trying to set up an auto-reply rule in Outlook 2003 home (that
>>> is, using my POP account with my ISP). I am in the process of changing
>>> my ISP, and want to send an auto-reply message to all entries in my
>>> Outlook contacts folder.
>>>
>>> I specified the following conditions in the rule:
>>> - sender is in Contacts address book, and on this machine only
>>> - reply using C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application
>>> Data\Microsoft\Templates\New address.oft
>>>
>>> The template contains a simple update email text message, the recipient
>>> and subject fields are empty.
>>>
>>> I treid testing the rule by sending a message to myself, from both my
>>> ISP account and from Gmail. I already have an entry for myself in the
>>> Outlook contacts folder for these two addresses.
>>>
>>> When I test the rule on the Inbox folders, no auto-reply messages are
>>> sent, or even queued for sending in the Outbox folder.
>>> Is there a better way to test and debug this this, for example by
>>> examining a log file somewhere?
>>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>> Paul

0
outlookmvp (5838)
11/3/2008 12:16:49 AM
I thought it worked on all emails received but not already received before
the rule unless you go into rules and run rules.
> autoreply rules only work for the first message from a person.
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>
> Outlook Tips by email:

> http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx or point your
> newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.
>

> "Paul Moore" <pauldotmoore@pandora.be> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've been trying to set up an auto-reply rule in Outlook 2003 home (that
>> is, using my POP account with my ISP). I am in the process of changing my
>> ISP, and want to send an auto-reply message to all entries in my Outlook
>> contacts folder.
>>
>> I specified the following conditions in the rule:
>> - sender is in Contacts address book, and on this machine only
>> - reply using C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application
>> Data\Microsoft\Templates\New address.oft
>>
>> The template contains a simple update email text message, the recipient
>> and subject fields are empty.
>>
>> I treid testing the rule by sending a message to myself, from both my ISP
>> account and from Gmail. I already have an entry for myself in the Outlook
>> contacts folder for these two addresses.
>>
>> When I test the rule on the Inbox folders, no auto-reply messages are
>> sent, or even queued for sending in the Outbox folder.
>> Is there a better way to test and debug this this, for example by
>> examining a log file somewhere?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> Paul

0
JAllen (15)
11/3/2008 5:17:30 AM
Hi Jason,

This is what I did to run the rule:
- Stop and restart Outlook
- Select the rule and run it

I specified the following conditions in the rule:
- sender is in Contacts address book, and on this machine only
- reply using C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application
Data\Microsoft\Templates\New address.oft

The template contains a simple update email text message, the recipient and
subject fields are empty.

The test messages were in the Inbox folder, but were not responded to by the
rule.

Is there a log file that would indicate why the rule is not executing
correctly? Or is there another way to debug this?

Thanks,
Paul

"Jason" <JAllen@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I thought it worked on all emails received but not already received before
>the rule unless you go into rules and run rules.
> "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlookmvp@msn.com> wrote in message
>> autoreply rules only work for the first message from a person.
>>
>> --
>> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>>
>> Outlook Tips by email:
>> dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net

>> You can access this newsgroup by visiting
>> http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx or point
>> your newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.
>>

>> "Paul Moore" <pauldotmoore@pandora.be> wrote in message
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I've been trying to set up an auto-reply rule in Outlook 2003 home (that
>>> is, using my POP account with my ISP). I am in the process of changing
>>> my ISP, and want to send an auto-reply message to all entries in my
>>> Outlook contacts folder.
>>>
>>> I specified the following conditions in the rule:
>>> - sender is in Contacts address book, and on this machine only
>>> - reply using C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application
>>> Data\Microsoft\Templates\New address.oft
>>>
>>> The template contains a simple update email text message, the recipient
>>> and subject fields are empty.
>>>
>>> I treid testing the rule by sending a message to myself, from both my
>>> ISP account and from Gmail. I already have an entry for myself in the
>>> Outlook contacts folder for these two addresses.
>>>
>>> When I test the rule on the Inbox folders, no auto-reply messages are
>>> sent, or even queued for sending in the Outbox folder.
>>> Is there a better way to test and debug this this, for example by
>>> examining a log file somewhere?
>>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>> Paul

There is no log file.  The usual method to test is with different conditions
and actions - change the action to set flags or categories. Does it work?
Next try the template but a different criteria - 'sent only to me' is a good
substitute - does it work? (Set outlook offline so they aren't sent.)

--

> Hi Jason,
>
> This is what I did to run the rule:
> - Stop and restart Outlook
> - Select the rule and run it
>
> I specified the following conditions in the rule:
> - sender is in Contacts address book, and on this machine only
> - reply using C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application
> Data\Microsoft\Templates\New address.oft
>
> The template contains a simple update email text message, the recipient
> and subject fields are empty.
>
> The test messages were in the Inbox folder, but were not responded to by
> the rule.
>
> Is there a log file that would indicate why the rule is not executing
> correctly? Or is there another way to debug this?
>
> Thanks,
> Paul
>
> "Jason" <JAllen@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I thought it worked on all emails received but not already received before
>>the rule unless you go into rules and run rules.
>> "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlookmvp@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> autoreply rules only work for the first message from a person.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>>> Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
>>> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com
>>>
>>> Outlook Tips by email:
>>> dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net
>>>
>>> EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange:
>>> EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM
>>>
>>> You can access this newsgroup by visiting
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx or point
>>> your newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.
>>>

>>> "Paul Moore" <pauldotmoore@pandora.be> wrote in message

0
outlookmvp (5838)

CRM address book in Outlook

Outlook Sales

Auto transfer of row
I have a list of components to be ordered in each row is a cell with order number entered in it. What I want is to copy the row to anothe sheet (which is to be displayed at goods) when the order number i entered in that cell. Is this possible? many thanks for any help -- alanle ----------------------------------------------------------------------- alanled's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3094 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=57297 this could be acheived by using VLOOKUP function. if you want a perfect soluti...

Outlook 2002 (office xp developer suite)

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

Moving from Outlook Express to Outlook

invalid email address

Change position ID in HR