Category to Distribution List

Dear All:

A: Outlook 2003
B: OS = XP

Is there a way to create a Distribution List from a category ?

I have a number of clients in special categories ( usually company name)

However, there are times when I want to send BCC to several clients
and would like to find a way to send that email without having to
insert all the names. The category list of names can only be in
the To: portion of the outgoing email.

Suggestions highly appreciated.

John A Hansen

0
jahansen6 (22)

Two methods, both starting with the folder grouped by category, and all =
the items in the category selected:=20

1) Choose Actions | New Message to Contact, then cut and paste the names =
from the To to the Cc box.=20

2) Choose Tools | Mail Merge and perform a mail merge to email output.=20

#2 will give the best results -- individual messages addressed directly =
to each recipient.=20

--=20
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
    http://www.outlookcode.com/article.aspx?id=3D54=20

"John A Hansen" <jahansen6@comcast.net> wrote in message =
>=20
> Dear All:
>=20
> A: Outlook 2003
> B: OS =3D XP
>=20
> Is there a way to create a Distribution List from a category ?
>=20
> I have a number of clients in special categories ( usually company =
name)
>=20
> However, there are times when I want to send BCC to several clients
> and would like to find a way to send that email without having to
> insert all the names. The category list of names can only be in
> the To: portion of the outgoing email.
>=20
> Suggestions highly appreciated.
>=20
> John A Hansen
>=20
>=20

0
suemvp (4038)
7/8/2007 12:46:59 PM
There is, but it requires several steps.
1. Copy your Category members into their own subfolder and enable that
subfolder as an email address book.
2. When you create a new DL, use that subfolder as your source in the Select
members dialog, select all Contacts and add them to the DL.

I think most people prefer to stick with categories and just do a cut and
paste from the To: field to the BCC field.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"John A Hansen" <jahansen6@comcast.net> wrote in message

> Dear All:
>
> A: Outlook 2003
> B: OS = XP
>
> Is there a way to create a Distribution List from a category ?
>
> I have a number of clients in special categories ( usually company name)
>
> However, there are times when I want to send BCC to several clients
> and would like to find a way to send that email without having to
> insert all the names. The category list of names can only be in
> the To: portion of the outgoing email.
>
> Suggestions highly appreciated.
>
> John A Hansen

0
russval1 (2100)
7/8/2007 12:56:31 PM
Russ:
I merely enabled the subfolder as a email address book
and then created the DL. Worked perfectly.

Thanks so much.

John

> There is, but it requires several steps.
> 1. Copy your Category members into their own subfolder and enable that
> subfolder as an email address book.
> 2. When you create a new DL, use that subfolder as your source in the
> Select members dialog, select all Contacts and add them to the DL.
>
> I think most people prefer to stick with categories and just do a cut and
> paste from the To: field to the BCC field.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "John A Hansen" <jahansen6@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Dear All:
>>
>> A: Outlook 2003
>> B: OS = XP
>>
>> Is there a way to create a Distribution List from a category ?
>>
>> I have a number of clients in special categories ( usually company name)
>>
>> However, there are times when I want to send BCC to several clients
>> and would like to find a way to send that email without having to
>> insert all the names. The category list of names can only be in
>> the To: portion of the outgoing email.
>>
>> Suggestions highly appreciated.
>>
>> John A Hansen

0
jahansen6 (22)

Lists...
Is there anyway that I can have several lists in a given worksheet so that they act independently on each other, not simply dependent on the primary list? I would like to select certain info from one list, certain info from another, and so forth, without being limited to the info soley in the row of the initial info selected. Help! "Corey" <corey.helms@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1152122978.896472.125760@b68g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Is there anyway that I can have several lists in a given worksheet so > that they act independently on each other, not simply ...

Randomly selecting items from a list given their statistical likelihood #4
That is basically what I did do without the sort - perhaps that wil save time when running the macro as opposed to an additional fe columns, but the 6 selections would not be independent cause say a 1 i 10,000 shot couldn't then be selected again with a sort. I can and hav done this but it often overloads the ram use and crashes the computer. I am trying to avoid doing any rand() step because it would requir creating new lists. I will also be performing the a random selectio based on the individual clients historic product useage, which woul require me to restack a new 10,000 item lis...

How may I macro update a normal distribution chart from new data?
In Excel 2003 SP2. I have created a form for reporting Statistical values.This includes a normal distribution chart. I want to update this chart when new sample data is entered into the form, without having to go through "Tools, Data Analysis, Histogram" each time. I have already tried recording my steps, with "Record New Macro" in the tools menu, but this does not work. The histogram is plotted from a table of bin ranges and counts. If you change those table values into formulas, then the histogram will update with those formulas. Jerry "Mike Williams"...

Default view of Investment Account in Account List
I work out of the Account List in the Banking tab, which is my opening screen. When I click on an Investment Account, the default view is the Investment Transactions, not the Account Summary or the Cash Transactions. This is not very logical and highly irritating. The most logical default view would be...Account Summary. Is there any way I can change the default view to Account Summary when I click on an Investment Account? I know I can get this view in the Investing tab, but I must click through even more irritating MSN ads, in the software I paid alot of money for, to get to that ...

Capability to Print Lists
Version 8.0 was released with a number of lists (Financial, Sales, etc.). We would like the capability to print these out. > It may even be nice to export them to Excel or Word (similar to SmartList). > Please consider adding this functionality. Thank you Sharon, Thanks for the suggestion. Is there a specific reason why you just wouldn't use SmartLists to accomplish this? Thanks. -- This posting is provided 'AS IS' with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Sharon Nolan" wrote: > Version 8.0 was released with a number of lists (Financial, Sales, etc.)...

Bold the query based distribution lists in GAL
Just curious if anyone knows of a way to make the query based distribution lists appear bold in the GAL? Since our GAL contains query based lists and 'static' lists I would like all of them to appear in bold if possible. TIA! On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 13:10:23 -0800, "Papa" <Papa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Just curious if anyone knows of a way to make the query based distribution >lists appear bold in the GAL? Since our GAL contains query based lists and >'static' lists I would like all of them to appear in bold if possible. > >TIA! I d...

using new List<String>();
Hello, I wonder do I create a memory leak by using private void myFunc() { List<String> joblist = new List<string>(); // ... add a alot of string into the joblist } and then call myFunc "repeatedly" from the main program It feels like I should return the memory somehow, but how? // Anders -- English is not my first language so any error, insults or strangeness has happend during the translation. Please correct my English so that I may become better at it! On 5/26/2010 11:02, Anders Eriksson wrote: > Hello, > > I wonder do I crea...

maximum size of the block senders list (Outlook 2003)
Does anyone know the maximum size the block senders list can be in outlook 2003? I have about 32000 block email and domain addy's but the list keeps disappearing and I have to replace it or re-import it. Does anyone have reason for this? I have an antivirus program and it is updated and no I do not have a virus or any spy ware computer is scan nightly POP3/IMAP or Exchange account? The reason that I ask is that I might have a long shot of an idea for an Exchange account, but can't think of anything locally. The long shot for the Exchange account is the last section of the IMF...

Add an option to choose multiple choices for a list/drop down.
I need to be able to assign multiple choices for a particular record. As an example: I need to select which brands a store carries for marketing reasons from my list of all potential brands I would select "Nike", "Addidas", "New Balance" but not include "RBK", ... ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the M...

Categories vs Journal Entry Type vs Appt. Labels vs Form Fields
We are starting a small office and getting ready to track contacts, events, etc in outlook. I have limited experience with Outlook and am just starting to figure out how to put it all together. My question is ; Outlook provides multiple mechanisms for storing categorical info, and i wanted to get some advice as to pros and cons for using each. For instance, its easy enough to create new categories and apply them to new contacts, events etc, but i dont quite understand ramifications down the road for doing this vs using other Outlook methods. More specifically as an example... Is it better...

moving range of data listed up/down to across
Hi, I have a range of data entered in range A:1 thru A:26 I would like to move the data so it appears on one long line going across instead , say line 1 columns A - Z. I am using excel version 97. Thanks for your help. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ If you copy A1:A26 using paste special, check the box Transpose and this will copy the data across the sheet. Note you should copy this to B1 and then delete column A if this is no longer required Ho...

OL 2007: Change priority of list of tasks
How can I change the priority of a number of selected tasks at once, similarly as I can change their category at once? Thanks, Sven ...

Transactions by Category report #2
I made a number of entries and when finished, clicked on Reports and then Transactions by category. A window popped up, "Microsoft Money has stopped working." It consistently does the same thing any time I try to open that report. I can open just about any other report, but not Transactions by Category. I don't have a Budget entered, but while trying to check out other reports, Money told me that one of the files necessary to run a budget was corrupt. I remember that this happened to me once before a couple of years ago or so after I'd done a massive amount of ent...

Distribution List.
Is there any way in Outlook 2002 to send an email to a distribution list where the recipients do not see who else the email has been sent to besides using the BCC field? No. Why would no not use the BCC field? That is its sole purpose. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] <teejayem@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1136803144.728730.245980@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > Is there any way in Outlook 2002 to send an email to a distribution > list where the recipients do not see who else the email has been sent > to besides using the BCC field? > ok, thanks. Russ Valentine...

The address list could not be displayed ...
When I click Tools/Address Book or To: in a new email, I get an error message saying "The address list could not be displayed ... Contacts folder could not be opened" The .PST file is in the default location and all of my contacts are displayed when I click Contacts on the on the Folder List. Any thoughts? Thanks. Only the same ones posted here every day: Configure your Outlook Address Book correctly. Details on how to do so depend on your version and the steps you used to disrupt the service in the first place, none of which you provided. There are too many possibilitie...

Categories on nononline cred. card accts not showing in any report
I have a couple of accounts that I had to set up manually as the do not support online setup. I have used a Microsoft Excel Macro to create a QIF file which I imported the data into money 2006 fine. I can see the categories in the register on each transaction but when I go to REPORTS non of the transactions of the manually created nononline accounts are showing. In microsoft.public.money, SEABEE wrote: >I have a couple of accounts that I had to set up manually as the do not >support online setup. I have used a Microsoft Excel Macro to create a QIF >file which I imported the...

Drop down list #11
I want to know how when I create a drop down list the font changes instead of just been Arial. Any ideas? If you use a combobox from the control toolbox toolbar, you can change the font (for all the entries). Just click the Design Mode icon (also on that control toolbox toolbar), then right click on the combobox and select properties. Click on Font and click on the ellipses button to the right. canna wrote: > > I want to know how when I create a drop down list the font changes instead of > just been Arial. > > Any ideas? -- Dave Peterson ...

convert a list to count by county
>From what I'm hearing, they say Excel is limited only by one's imagination. I can't imagine how to do this, so perhaps someone would be willing to help me! I've got a list of 700 county names. How hard would it be to convert that list to a count by county. In other words, when all is said and done, I will know how many entries I have for each county. In the past, I've used SAS - I'm trying to reduce my dependence on this software and learn Excel! Mike Take a look at Pivot Tables. See http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivotstart.htm for a good starting...

HQ hanging on refreshing lists
After installing the last hotfix on HQ and at the stores, HQ manager now displays "Refreshing Lists..." about 10 times a minutes in the bottom left status bar of HQ Manager anywhere from 3 to 15 seconds each time, during which HQ manager hangs. (We have 40 stores and separate comm servers) Does anyone know how to fix this, as using HQ manager has become extremely tedious and unstable. Thanks Shaun, u can change the list refresh rate by editing the following registry value while the HQ Manager is closed: - hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\retail management system\head...

KPI list
Hi, I created a KPI list based on a task list, where I added a "completed on" column in order to compare with "due date" column. How should I tell the KPI list to produce the percentage of those tasks where task "compelted on" column is equal or less than "due date"? In order to do this computation you have to know two numbers: Number of tasks done on time Number of tasks not done on time Both these numbers would be an aggregation of the entire list. SharePoint does not provide, out of the box, this sort of aggregate comput...

Times list top 15
Here is my problem. I got some help before, but it isn't working. I have a database with kids' times for each course that we run. Each year they may run a course several times. The information I have in the file on them is Name, Grade, Course, RunTime, RunYear, Male/ Female. I am trying to get a list of all of the top 15 times in a particular course. But since there are multiple entries for a kid on each course, I get the following SAvannah 2006 17:30 Savannah 2005 17:32 Savannah 2006 17:45 Stepahanie 2007 17:48 Kristina 2007 18:01 Stepahnie 2006 18:03 But what I wa...

How can I add shared tasks to the Outllook to do list ?
I have an additional Shared mailbox in my outlook profile which I need to keep track of the tasks. Is there a way in which I can add the "shared tasks" to my outlook to do list? "mark" <mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EFE59F19-F7F2-4269-8281-BFC7A6C0D613@microsoft.com... >I have an additional Shared mailbox in my outlook profile which I need to > keep track of the tasks. Is there a way in which I can add the "shared > tasks" > to my outlook to do list? The To Do pane can show data only from your default fol...

Backing up Master Catagories List
Hi, Outlook 2003 w/all updates on XP with all updates. I had to repair Office, unrelated to Outlook, and in the process lost all my custom catagories in the Master Catagories list. I manually added them all back in, so all is fine now - but is there a way to back up the Master Catagories list? Or, is the list included in the ..PST file? If so, can I copy my .PST flies off to an external drive, then copy them back after doing something like an Office repair? Thanks, Marti Marti, you wrote on Mon, 04 Jun 2007 08:42:03 -0400: > Hi, Outlook 2003 w/all updates on XP with all updates. &g...

forwarding distribution group
Hello all, is it possible to setup to auto-forward all messages coming into a Distrubution Group to another recipient without adding that recipient to the group in Exchange 2003? thanks! ...

Creating Categories from a file listing
Hi all, I'm very new to Outlook scripting (so new I've never tried it), though have experience with VBA, and windows script host etc. I have an excel file with a listing of some categories that I want to 'import' into my, and others, outlook. We are not joined to a domain, though we do have an exchange server (on SBS). The list looks a bit like this (it mirrors our file system folder structure): ADM ADM-COM ADM-COM-TM ADM-FIN ADM-FIN-TS ADM-FIN-EXP etc ad nauseum. How would I create some programmatic way to make sure all of our Master Category lists remain the same? A...