Cannot open Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened

Please advise:
This morning I wanted to copy my pst file to laptop -via home network.
Outlook hickupped against that. I then made an archive file in same
directory and copied that via via to laptop.
NO SETTINGS WERE CHANGED. Then I closed doen computer normally.
Now, returning home after work, starting Outlook, it gives the message:
Unable to open Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened .

Can anyone advise me please what I should be doing?

thanks
magsie

0
moma0909 (4)

Create a new mail profile - yours is now corrupt.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, Magsie asked:

| Please advise:
| This morning I wanted to copy my pst file to laptop -via home network.
| Outlook hickupped against that. I then made an archive file in same
| directory and copied that via via to laptop.
| NO SETTINGS WERE CHANGED. Then I closed doen computer normally.
| Now, returning home after work, starting Outlook, it gives the
| message: Unable to open Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be
| opened .
|
| Can anyone advise me please what I should be doing?
|
| thanks
| magsie

0
MillyS (3228)
6/19/2006 5:15:45 PM
but can I import then the old 800.000 kb file???

"Milly Staples - MVP Outlook" <millys@donteventhinkaboutmailingmeatmvps.org>
wrote in message news:e2hrQQ8kGHA.4104@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Create a new mail profile - yours is now corrupt.
>
> --
> Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

> reading.
>
> After furious head scratching, Magsie asked:
>
> | Please advise:
> | This morning I wanted to copy my pst file to laptop -via home network.
> | Outlook hickupped against that. I then made an archive file in same
> | directory and copied that via via to laptop.
> | NO SETTINGS WERE CHANGED. Then I closed doen computer normally.
> | Now, returning home after work, starting Outlook, it gives the
> | message: Unable to open Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be
> | opened .
> |
> | Can anyone advise me please what I should be doing?
> |
> | thanks
> | magsie

0
moma0909 (4)
6/19/2006 6:19:23 PM
have created new pst. . The archive file is there, but I also have the
Personal folders with inbox etc etc., I want to have the fikes in my
personal folders.
However it wont let me IMPORT
tells me File access denied, I have no permission...

what now??
thank you for your advise
magsie

"Milly Staples - MVP Outlook" <millys@donteventhinkaboutmailingmeatmvps.org>
wrote in message news:e2hrQQ8kGHA.4104@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Create a new mail profile - yours is now corrupt.
>
> --
> Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

> reading.
>
> After furious head scratching, Magsie asked:
>
> | Please advise:
> | This morning I wanted to copy my pst file to laptop -via home network.
> | Outlook hickupped against that. I then made an archive file in same
> | directory and copied that via via to laptop.
> | NO SETTINGS WERE CHANGED. Then I closed doen computer normally.
> | Now, returning home after work, starting Outlook, it gives the
> | message: Unable to open Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be
> | opened .
> |
> | Can anyone advise me please what I should be doing?
> |
> | thanks
> | magsie

0
moma0909 (4)
6/19/2006 7:05:06 PM
HI Milly, I solved it by dragging the folders and files from the archive
..pst into the new personal folders pst.
thanks for your help
magsie

"Milly Staples - MVP Outlook" <millys@donteventhinkaboutmailingmeatmvps.org>
wrote in message news:e2hrQQ8kGHA.4104@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Create a new mail profile - yours is now corrupt.
>
> --
> Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

> reading.
>
> After furious head scratching, Magsie asked:
>
> | Please advise:
> | This morning I wanted to copy my pst file to laptop -via home network.
> | Outlook hickupped against that. I then made an archive file in same
> | directory and copied that via via to laptop.
> | NO SETTINGS WERE CHANGED. Then I closed doen computer normally.
> | Now, returning home after work, starting Outlook, it gives the
> | message: Unable to open Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be
> | opened .
> |
> | Can anyone advise me please what I should be doing?
> |
> | thanks
> | magsie

0
moma0909 (4)
6/19/2006 7:17:18 PM
Magsie <moma0909@hotmail.com> wrote:

> but can I import then the old 800.000 kb file???

Never import from or export to a PST.  It is unnecessary and will lose data.
Open the PST with File>Open>Outlook Data File (or Personal Folders File,
depending on your Outlook version, which you don't state).
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
6/20/2006 2:45:31 AM
Magsie <moma0909@hotmail.com> wrote:

> However it wont let me IMPORT
> tells me File access denied, I have no permission...

If the PST is on a CD, you must first copy it to your hard drive, taking
care not to overwrite anotehr PST of the same name, then remove the
read-only attribute with right-click>Properties.  After that, you should be
able to open the PST.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)

Take a look at security pack for MS Windows
--yibeujjlfx Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="vyjaaasi"; type="multipart/alternative" --vyjaaasi Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="mxqquhmmrnwjoq" --mxqquhmmrnwjoq Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable MS Consumer this is the latest version of security update, the "September 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which resolves all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install now to protect your...

Crash on 'Send"

Windows Office 2000 installer tries to execute everytime I compose or respond to a message
In OWA, Every time I try to compose or respond to a message, the Windows Office 2000 installer tries to execute and asks for the CD. Unfortunately, this Office 2000 problem has come up again even after all the updates to Office 2000. Also I am having trouble logging out. When I hit the logoff button, it brings up a sign-in screen asking for ID & password again. Whether I cancel it or fill it in and type OK, it then gives me a screen that says "access denied". I never get a screen which says that logout was successful. I have the same problem here... From what I've s...

Set request parameters for web services

Outlook 2003 and "Check Names"

Outlook 2003 keeps crashing #2

Outlook needs Outlook Express to work