Cannot delete mailbox/email account from Outlook 2003

Hello All -

I'm a systems admin at a company that use exchange server. Someone
added a mailbox to an e-mail account, and it appears as a second
mailbox in the folder list. The only problem is, I can't delete it. If
I right click the mail account, select "close mailbox...", I receive
the error that the mailbox is associated with an account, and to remove
it I need to go to Tools, E-mail accounts, view or change, blah blah
blah.

If I go to that route, I can delete the Microsoft Exchange Server
account that exists. However, in the "Deliver new e-mail to the
following location", the mailbox which I want to delete still exists in
that list, even after I've deleted all the mail accounts on the
computer.

I deleted the mail account through outlook and also deleted and
recreated it through the mail section in control panel. I've even gone
so far as to uninstall and reinstall Office 2000 and Outlook 2003. Even
with no mail accounts on the computer, this mailbox that I'm trying to
delete still exists.

Attempting to open the mailbox within outlook results in the error
message that "unable to display folder. Microsoft Office Outlook could
not access the specified folder location".

This leads me to believe that the mailbox has been deleted, but I just
can't get it off the folder list.

Any ideas?

Why not cut to the chase and just create a new mail profile? That =
usually takes care of a host of problems.=20

--=20
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

"Shirtbird" <matt.gledhill@medpt.com> wrote in message =
> Hello All -
>=20
> I'm a systems admin at a company that use exchange server. Someone
> added a mailbox to an e-mail account, and it appears as a second
> mailbox in the folder list. The only problem is, I can't delete it. If
> I right click the mail account, select "close mailbox...", I receive
> the error that the mailbox is associated with an account, and to =
remove
> it I need to go to Tools, E-mail accounts, view or change, blah blah
> blah.
>=20
> If I go to that route, I can delete the Microsoft Exchange Server
> account that exists. However, in the "Deliver new e-mail to the
> following location", the mailbox which I want to delete still exists =
in
> that list, even after I've deleted all the mail accounts on the
> computer.
>=20
> I deleted the mail account through outlook and also deleted and
> recreated it through the mail section in control panel. I've even gone
> so far as to uninstall and reinstall Office 2000 and Outlook 2003. =
Even
> with no mail accounts on the computer, this mailbox that I'm trying to
> delete still exists.
>=20
> Attempting to open the mailbox within outlook results in the error
> message that "unable to display folder. Microsoft Office Outlook could
> not access the specified folder location".
>=20
> This leads me to believe that the mailbox has been deleted, but I just
> can't get it off the folder list.
>=20
>=20
> Any ideas?

0
suemvp (4038)
2/15/2006 10:57:56 PM
On the computer or within Exchange?

If I create a new profile on the machine, that mailbox remains.

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook] wrote:
> Why not cut to the chase and just create a new mail profile? That usually takes care of a host of problems.
>
> --
> Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
>    Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003
>      http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm
>    and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for
>      Administrators, Power Users, and Developers
>      http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx
>

> "Shirtbird" <matt.gledhill@medpt.com> wrote in message news:1140035232.054665.90530@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> > Hello All -
> >
> > I'm a systems admin at a company that use exchange server. Someone
> > added a mailbox to an e-mail account, and it appears as a second
> > mailbox in the folder list. The only problem is, I can't delete it. If
> > I right click the mail account, select "close mailbox...", I receive
> > the error that the mailbox is associated with an account, and to remove
> > it I need to go to Tools, E-mail accounts, view or change, blah blah
> > blah.
> >
> > If I go to that route, I can delete the Microsoft Exchange Server
> > account that exists. However, in the "Deliver new e-mail to the
> > following location", the mailbox which I want to delete still exists in
> > that list, even after I've deleted all the mail accounts on the
> > computer.
> >
> > I deleted the mail account through outlook and also deleted and
> > recreated it through the mail section in control panel. I've even gone
> > so far as to uninstall and reinstall Office 2000 and Outlook 2003. Even
> > with no mail accounts on the computer, this mailbox that I'm trying to
> > delete still exists.
> >
> > Attempting to open the mailbox within outlook results in the error
> > message that "unable to display folder. Microsoft Office Outlook could
> > not access the specified folder location".
> >
> > This leads me to believe that the mailbox has been deleted, but I just
> > can't get it off the folder list.
> >

> > Any ideas?

I was suggesting that you create a new mail profile for Outlook to use =
on that machine. Add the one Exchange mailbox you want to see. What =
happens then?=20

In the meantime, can you explain exactly what you mean by "Someone added =
a mailbox to an e-mail account"? I can think of a couple of different =
interpretations.=20

> On the computer or within Exchange?
>=20
> If I create a new profile on the machine, that mailbox remains.
>=20
> Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook] wrote:
>> Why not cut to the chase and just create a new mail profile? That =
usually takes care of a host of problems.

>> "Shirtbird" <matt.gledhill@medpt.com> wrote in message =
>> > Hello All -
>> >
>> > I'm a systems admin at a company that use exchange server. Someone
>> > added a mailbox to an e-mail account, and it appears as a second
>> > mailbox in the folder list. The only problem is, I can't delete it. =
If
>> > I right click the mail account, select "close mailbox...", I =
receive
>> > the error that the mailbox is associated with an account, and to =
remove
>> > it I need to go to Tools, E-mail accounts, view or change, blah =
blah
>> > blah.
>> >
>> > If I go to that route, I can delete the Microsoft Exchange Server
>> > account that exists. However, in the "Deliver new e-mail to the
>> > following location", the mailbox which I want to delete still =
exists in
>> > that list, even after I've deleted all the mail accounts on the
>> > computer.
>> >
>> > I deleted the mail account through outlook and also deleted and
>> > recreated it through the mail section in control panel. I've even =
gone
>> > so far as to uninstall and reinstall Office 2000 and Outlook 2003. =
Even
>> > with no mail accounts on the computer, this mailbox that I'm trying =
>> > delete still exists.
>> >
>> > Attempting to open the mailbox within outlook results in the error
>> > message that "unable to display folder. Microsoft Office Outlook =
could
>> > not access the specified folder location".
>> >
>> > This leads me to believe that the mailbox has been deleted, but I =
just
>> > can't get it off the folder list.

0
suemvp (4038)
2/16/2006 2:55:35 PM
In the folder list in the left navigation pane in Outlook 2003, it says
"Mailbox - John Doe", and then all the folders within the mailbox are
underneath. Someone added another exchange mailbox - so now it not only
says "Mailbox - John Doe", underneath that it says "Mailbox - Mary
Smith" - so two mailboxes are listed in the left navigation pane. If I
try and delete "Mailbox - Mary Smith", that is when I receive the error
message that it is associated with an account.

If I remove the mail profile John Doe from the system, and then
recreate it and create the corresponding exchange account with it,
"Mailbox - Mary Smith" returns. If I delete the exchange account from
outlook 2003, the accounts box that says "deliver mail to the following
mailbox" no longer includes "Mailbox - John Doe", but still has
"Mailbox - Mary Smith". If I go to the mail profile, there is no entry
for "Mary Smith".

Does that clarify a little bit? I apologize if it is hard to understand
what I'm saying, it's a bit of an odd problem.

So, you mean that if you bring up the properties of the Exchange account =
in Outlook and look on the Advanced tab, you see no secondary mailbox =
listed?=20

> In the folder list in the left navigation pane in Outlook 2003, it =
says
> "Mailbox - John Doe", and then all the folders within the mailbox are
> underneath. Someone added another exchange mailbox - so now it not =
only
> says "Mailbox - John Doe", underneath that it says "Mailbox - Mary
> Smith" - so two mailboxes are listed in the left navigation pane. If I
> try and delete "Mailbox - Mary Smith", that is when I receive the =
error
> message that it is associated with an account.
>=20
> If I remove the mail profile John Doe from the system, and then
> recreate it and create the corresponding exchange account with it,
> "Mailbox - Mary Smith" returns. If I delete the exchange account from
> outlook 2003, the accounts box that says "deliver mail to the =
following
> mailbox" no longer includes "Mailbox - John Doe", but still has
> "Mailbox - Mary Smith". If I go to the mail profile, there is no entry
> for "Mary Smith".
>=20
> Does that clarify a little bit? I apologize if it is hard to =
understand
> what I'm saying, it's a bit of an odd problem.

0
suemvp (4038)
2/17/2006 6:57:22 PM
If you mean the section that says "also deliver mail to these
mailboxes", then no, there are no other mailboxes listed.

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook] wrote:
> So, you mean that if you bring up the properties of the Exchange account in Outlook and look on the Advanced tab, you see no secondary mailbox listed?
>
> --
> Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
>    Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003
>      http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm
>    and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for
>      Administrators, Power Users, and Developers
>      http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx
>

> "Shirtbird" <matt.gledhill@medpt.com> wrote in message news:1140199013.709554.316210@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> > In the folder list in the left navigation pane in Outlook 2003, it says
> > "Mailbox - John Doe", and then all the folders within the mailbox are
> > underneath. Someone added another exchange mailbox - so now it not only
> > says "Mailbox - John Doe", underneath that it says "Mailbox - Mary
> > Smith" - so two mailboxes are listed in the left navigation pane. If I
> > try and delete "Mailbox - Mary Smith", that is when I receive the error
> > message that it is associated with an account.
> >
> > If I remove the mail profile John Doe from the system, and then
> > recreate it and create the corresponding exchange account with it,
> > "Mailbox - Mary Smith" returns. If I delete the exchange account from
> > outlook 2003, the accounts box that says "deliver mail to the following
> > mailbox" no longer includes "Mailbox - John Doe", but still has
> > "Mailbox - Mary Smith". If I go to the mail profile, there is no entry
> > for "Mary Smith".
> >
> > Does that clarify a little bit? I apologize if it is hard to understand
> > what I'm saying, it's a bit of an odd problem.

No, that sounds like the properties of the account as managed on the =
server. I was suggesting that you need to look at the advanced account =
settings in Outlook.=20

> If you mean the section that says "also deliver mail to these
> mailboxes", then no, there are no other mailboxes listed.
>=20
> Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook] wrote:
>> So, you mean that if you bring up the properties of the Exchange =
account in Outlook and look on the Advanced tab, you see no secondary =
mailbox listed?

>> "Shirtbird" <matt.gledhill@medpt.com> wrote in message =
>> > In the folder list in the left navigation pane in Outlook 2003, it =
says
>> > "Mailbox - John Doe", and then all the folders within the mailbox =
are
>> > underneath. Someone added another exchange mailbox - so now it not =
only
>> > says "Mailbox - John Doe", underneath that it says "Mailbox - Mary
>> > Smith" - so two mailboxes are listed in the left navigation pane. =
If I
>> > try and delete "Mailbox - Mary Smith", that is when I receive the =
error
>> > message that it is associated with an account.
>> >
>> > If I remove the mail profile John Doe from the system, and then
>> > recreate it and create the corresponding exchange account with it,
>> > "Mailbox - Mary Smith" returns. If I delete the exchange account =
from
>> > outlook 2003, the accounts box that says "deliver mail to the =
following
>> > mailbox" no longer includes "Mailbox - John Doe", but still has
>> > "Mailbox - Mary Smith". If I go to the mail profile, there is no =
entry
>> > for "Mary Smith".
>> >
>> > Does that clarify a little bit? I apologize if it is hard to =
understand
>> > what I'm saying, it's a bit of an odd problem.

0
suemvp (4038)
2/18/2006 5:50:06 PM
Perhaps I'm confused - where can I find these advanced account settings?

Password Issue with MS Money 2003

Outlook 2003 keeps crashing #2

Outlook blocking attachments
I am running Outlook 2000 and when I recieve an email with a .bat or .exe extension it blocks the attachment. How is that turned off so the attachments can be delivered? Thanks, Dan Dan wrote: > I am running Outlook 2000 and when I recieve an email with > a .bat or .exe extension it blocks the attachment. How is > that turned off so the attachments can be delivered? > > Thanks, > Dan try here: http://www.slovaktech.com/attachmentoptions.htm ...

Max number of Rules in Outlook
Hi everyone: Just a simple question that may be a common curiosity: does anyone know what is the max number of rules I can set up in Outlook? I have reached about 70 rules and the I get the message that there is no further space on the server. Maybe it is just a matter of room and the number it is not a limitation? Thanks for answering. Cheers That's it indeed; you can only store up to 32KB of e-mail rules. Disabled rules don't count but you're properly better of combining some rules or see if they are still needed. -- Roady [MVP] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the mo...

Runtime Error when closing OUTLOOK 2k

Outlook needs Outlook Express to work

Crash on 'Send"

Outlook 2003 and "Check Names"