Cannot Access E-Mail After Security Update

re: Outlook 2003

I ran and installed the most recent security update (see Knowledge Base 
892843); ever since, I can no longer send or receive e-mails.  I checked all 
of the settings and nothing seems to have changed.  What gives? 


0
J-Man (7)
1/14/2006 6:49:01 PM
outlook 87535 articles. 11 followers. Follow

7 Replies
446 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 11


In news:xIbyf.4948$WY5.1760@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net,
J-Man <J-Man@yahoo.com> typed:
> re: Outlook 2003
>
> I ran and installed the most recent security update (see Knowledge
> Base 892843); ever since, I can no longer send or receive e-mails.  I
> checked all of the settings and nothing seems to have changed.  What
> gives?

What error messages do you get?


0
lanwench (7567)
1/14/2006 6:56:17 PM
"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" 
<lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in message 
news:u4dryxTGGHA.1424@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>
>
> In news:xIbyf.4948$WY5.1760@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net,
> J-Man <J-Man@yahoo.com> typed:
>> re: Outlook 2003
>>
>> I ran and installed the most recent security update (see Knowledge
>> Base 892843); ever since, I can no longer send or receive e-mails.  I
>> checked all of the settings and nothing seems to have changed.  What
>> gives?
>
> What error messages do you get?

No error messages in Outlook; it just hangs and never finishes accessing the 
e-mail.  When I try to do "test settings" in the account setup section, all 
the tests (except the first one for finding the connection) fail, and the 
error messages are all of the "the server was found, but there was no 
response from the server." 


0
J-Man (7)
1/14/2006 7:06:16 PM
"J-Man" <J-Man@yahoo.com> wrote in message 
news:IYbyf.4951$WY5.3364@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>
> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" 
> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in 
> message news:u4dryxTGGHA.1424@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>>
>>
>> In news:xIbyf.4948$WY5.1760@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net,
>> J-Man <J-Man@yahoo.com> typed:
>>> re: Outlook 2003
>>>
>>> I ran and installed the most recent security update (see Knowledge
>>> Base 892843); ever since, I can no longer send or receive e-mails.  I
>>> checked all of the settings and nothing seems to have changed.  What
>>> gives?
>>
>> What error messages do you get?
>
> No error messages in Outlook; it just hangs and never finishes accessing 
> the e-mail.  When I try to do "test settings" in the account setup 
> section, all the tests (except the first one for finding the connection) 
> fail, and the error messages are all of the "the server was found, but 
> there was no response from the server."

After MUCH trial and error, I think I've figured out where the problem is: 
Norton Firewall.  After installing the Outlook security update, the first 
time I tried to access Outlook, Norton asked me if I wanted to permit 
Outlook to access the internet.  Although I let it do so, it seems to not 
want to let e-mails through.  When I turn off the Firewall, it works fine. 
Similarly it works fine with Windows Firewall turned on, and Norton off.

I wish Symantec would get their act together.  Between this and the problems 
LiveUpdate caused me last week, I'm more than ready to permanently ditch any 
Symantec products. 


0
J-Man (7)
1/14/2006 9:17:58 PM

In news:aUdyf.4997$WY5.4726@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net,
J-Man <J-Man@yahoo.com> typed:
> "J-Man" <J-Man@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:IYbyf.4951$WY5.3364@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>>
>> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
>> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in
>> message news:u4dryxTGGHA.1424@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>>>
>>>
>>> In news:xIbyf.4948$WY5.1760@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net,
>>> J-Man <J-Man@yahoo.com> typed:
>>>> re: Outlook 2003
>>>>
>>>> I ran and installed the most recent security update (see Knowledge
>>>> Base 892843); ever since, I can no longer send or receive e-mails.
>>>> I checked all of the settings and nothing seems to have changed. What 
>>>> gives?
>>>
>>> What error messages do you get?
>>
>> No error messages in Outlook; it just hangs and never finishes
>> accessing the e-mail.  When I try to do "test settings" in the
>> account setup section, all the tests (except the first one for
>> finding the connection) fail, and the error messages are all of the
>> "the server was found, but there was no response from the server."
>
> After MUCH trial and error, I think I've figured out where the
> problem is: Norton Firewall.  After installing the Outlook security
> update, the first time I tried to access Outlook, Norton asked me if
> I wanted to permit Outlook to access the internet.  Although I let it
> do so, it seems to not want to let e-mails through.  When I turn off
> the Firewall, it works fine. Similarly it works fine with Windows
> Firewall turned on, and Norton off.
> I wish Symantec would get their act together.  Between this and the
> problems LiveUpdate caused me last week, I'm more than ready to
> permanently ditch any Symantec products.

I have, long ago. I'm just sad they bought Veritas....they'll soon destroy 
BackupExec. 


0
lanwench (7567)
1/14/2006 10:03:18 PM
I have the exact same problem as J-Man.  Unfortunately the solution
that worked for him (turning off Norton firewall) does not apply to me
since I do not have any Norton software. After seeing his message I
turned off the Windows firewall but that makes no difference.   I can
retrieve messages in Outlook Express and then import them into Outlook
2003 but that is getting really tedious.  Thanks for any ideas.


J-Man wrote:
> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:u4dryxTGGHA.1424@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> >
> >
> > In news:xIbyf.4948$WY5.1760@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net,
> > J-Man <J-Man@yahoo.com> typed:
> >> re: Outlook 2003
> >>
> >> I ran and installed the most recent security update (see Knowledge
> >> Base 892843); ever since, I can no longer send or receive e-mails.  I
> >> checked all of the settings and nothing seems to have changed.  What
> >> gives?
> >
> > What error messages do you get?
>
> No error messages in Outlook; it just hangs and never finishes accessing the
> e-mail.  When I try to do "test settings" in the account setup section, all
> the tests (except the first one for finding the connection) fail, and the
> error messages are all of the "the server was found, but there was no
> response from the server."

0
weeks1 (2)
1/16/2006 4:08:04 AM
J-Man <J-Man@yahoo.com> wrote:

> After MUCH trial and error, I think I've figured out where the
> problem is: Norton Firewall.  After installing the Outlook security
> update, the first time I tried to access Outlook, Norton asked me if
> I wanted to permit Outlook to access the internet.  Although I let it
> do so, it seems to not want to let e-mails through.  When I turn off
> the Firewall, it works fine. Similarly it works fine with Windows
> Firewall turned on, and Norton off.

Some of the updates to Outlook install a new OUTLOOK.EXE image.  Any 
firewall (including WIndows', I believe, but certainly ones like Kerio, 
Sygate, and Zone Alarm) would see a new image as a new program.  They don't 
rely solely on the image name to determine whether or not the image should 
be treated as an exception.  So, when you install a new version of a 
program, you must re-add it as an exception, possibly removing the old 
version of the image that will still be listed in the exception list.

> I wish Symantec would get their act together.  Between this and the
> problems LiveUpdate caused me last week, I'm more than ready to
> permanently ditch any Symantec products.

The number of errors reported in the Outlook newsgroups alone have convinced 
me that I'll never use a Symantec product.
-- 
Brian Tillman 

0
tillman1952 (16052)
1/16/2006 2:35:49 PM
Thank you for the suggestion, but I am not running any firewall other
than Windows now (and the hardware firewall in the DSL router).  I got
rid of ZoneAlarm awhile back after the upgrade from free version to Pro
turned out to be a disaster.

I was able to fix the problem just now by uninstalling the Outlook
security update.  I just found out that if you check the "Show Updates"
box at the top of the Add/Remove Programs list, then Office updates (at
least some of them) will be shown and can be removed individually.  The
uninstall went fine and immediately solved the problem.  Thanks again
for your response.


Brian Tillman wrote:
> J-Man <J-Man@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > After MUCH trial and error, I think I've figured out where the
> > problem is: Norton Firewall.  After installing the Outlook security
> > update, the first time I tried to access Outlook, Norton asked me if
> > I wanted to permit Outlook to access the internet.  Although I let it
> > do so, it seems to not want to let e-mails through.  When I turn off
> > the Firewall, it works fine. Similarly it works fine with Windows
> > Firewall turned on, and Norton off.
>
> Some of the updates to Outlook install a new OUTLOOK.EXE image.  Any
> firewall (including WIndows', I believe, but certainly ones like Kerio,
> Sygate, and Zone Alarm) would see a new image as a new program.  They don't
> rely solely on the image name to determine whether or not the image should
> be treated as an exception.  So, when you install a new version of a
> program, you must re-add it as an exception, possibly removing the old
> version of the image that will still be listed in the exception list.
>
> > I wish Symantec would get their act together.  Between this and the
> > problems LiveUpdate caused me last week, I'm more than ready to
> > permanently ditch any Symantec products.
>
> The number of errors reported in the Outlook newsgroups alone have convinced
> me that I'll never use a Symantec product.
> -- 
> Brian Tillman

0
weeks1 (2)
1/16/2006 10:45:01 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Using data from cells in a Query to a MS Access Database
I need to use a MS Excel 2003 spreadsheet to perform a simple set of calcs. One piece of information I need is stored in an Access Database. If I could have, I would have converted the spreadsheet to an MS Access database and programmed the query to use information from text boxes. However, not all employees in the company have MS Access on their computer. So I need to use an external query in Excel to look at the MS Access Database. I can do that pretty easily. The Query Wizard walks you right through it. However, I need to make it so that the criteria for the query is drawn ...

attaching a macro to a control button in the Quick Access Toolbar
Excel 12, WXP I have a macro that I used a lot in Excel 11 and I would like to use it in Excel 12. I have put a button (form control) on the Quick Access Toolbar and I want to attach the macro to it. Help says to right click on the control and choose "assign macro" but when I right click on the control I don't get that choice. Can't find any help for this question in VB editor either. It describes how to put a command button on the worksheet itself, but no way to assign a macro that is in the Quick Access Toolbar. Any suggestions? See http://www.rondebruin.nl/ima...

E-mail Reply Problem !!!!!
Hi, I've got one Exchange Server 2003 (w/o SP1) in the network, all user is using Outlook 2003, when the user has sent out the mail via "Reply All", the field "TO" or "CC" only display local user E-mail Address but other E-mail Address doesn't not exist ??? I don't know the problem is in Exchange Server or Outlook. Please help and give me the solution. Tks a Lot !!!!! ...

Duplicate mail forwarded
This is a Windows 2003 SP1 server with patches up to date, Exchange 2003 SP-2. We are using forwarding rules on the mailboxes to forward messages to certain user's Blackberry devices. We are getting several messages sent multiple times (up to 20 at a time). I've looked for a black-hole router, but didn't find any, but I enabled the black-hole router detection anyway - no difference. I've looked in the SMTP logs, and I think I found the entries from a particular message that was received only once in the user's mailbox, but 3 times at the Blackberry. This message wa...

mail message in my fie menu
Ever since I bought my new computer I havenot been able to send E Mails/Messages on Outlook 2000 I cannot find Mail message in the File menu and even when accessing a new E Mail form thewre is no send button on the toolbar Please advise It sounds like you attempted to install Outlook 2000 on your new computer and move your old data file. It also sounds like you now have a corrupt Outlook profile. How did you go about moving the Outlook Data File? Hal -- Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP- Print /Imaging -- WA7BGX http://www.kvoa.com -- "When Ne...

Smartist report for security
Hi Gang - GP 10 has a standard security report: administrator/reports/security/security task setup my boss wants this report in smartlist - any suggestions? We do have smartlist builder but I cant find the correct tables. Michael, I think you can make use of this script to create a view in SQL and then call it in smartlist builder that might help you to customize the security report in smartlist. This script is provided by Victoria on her blog, link below http://victoriayudin.com/2009/03/20/sql-view-with-security-resource-details-for-dynamics-gp-10/ -- Thanks Janakiram M.P. MCP-GP h...

Securing your POS terminals from abuse
I posted a message on here inquiring about utillities that could help in preventing unauthorized abuse and access to other windows programs on the RMS POS machines because we are connected via broadband at our stores. I never got a reply so I wanted to share with you what I've discovered in my research. Basically, from my knowledge RMS POS will lock the application screen to a certain extent however this can be circumvented with commonly used hotkeys such as alt-tab, ctrl-esc, winkey, and so forth... Is it just me or shouldn't MS have included some sort of security feature for this ...

Money 2005 does not update last downloaded date.
Every I download my bank data, the last downloaded date doesn't update. As far as MS Money is concerned the last time I loaded my bank information was over a year ago. What causes this issue and what can be done to fix it? It's minor, but still rather annoying. Dennis. I'm having a similar problem. The "last downloaded" date for Citi credit card account is way in the future (12/27/2005) and Money isn't downloading any new transactions from the bank. Maybe this is why. How can I reset this date? "Dennis Willis" wrote: > Every I download my ba...

Viewing E-Mail Strings
I have many messages that i send, answered back by the receiver, send back to the receiver, and so on. I would like to be able to sort my inbox by these strings so I can print out the final e-mail that contains all the back and forths but also be able to delete out all the prior ones that already are contained in the final e-mail. I also keep track of e-mail receipts and reads and would also like to see those in the time line if possible. I receive many e-mails that contain the same subject line but are different conversations so sorting by that field is not useful. I'm o...

Can anyone tell me how to do a mail merge from Excel?
I have loaded 388 entries and now cannot figure out how to print to labels. Some have told me I had to copy and export from Word, but I don't understand how to do that. Help! BJS, If you Google "Mail Merge from Excel to Word" you will get lots of sites that will give you a step by step with screen captures. huber57 "BJS" wrote: > I have loaded 388 entries and now cannot figure out how to print to labels. > Some have told me I had to copy and export from Word, but I don't understand > how to do that. Help! Saved from a previ...

How do I get Outlook2003 to open folders when new mail arrives?
Outlook 2003 / ms Exchange 2007 Hi How do I get Outlook2003 to open folders when new mail arrives? Background: I have just changed my profile so that we now use Ms Exchange(2007) with our Outlook(2003). In my previous profile (which used .PST files), when new mail arrives in a folder (having been placed there by a rule), Outlook would automatically open each folder when it puts new emails into that folder. This would mean that previously I could see at a glance where new emails have arrived (because the foldername has gone bold, with the number of unread emails also showing in brackets). ...

Permanently deleting mail from deleted items folder?
Any one found a way of permanently deleting obvious junk mail from deleted items folder yet or is there any Knowledge Base article on it yet beyond the one which say that this facility in Office or Outlook doesn't work properly? Generally, emptying the Deleted Items folder permanently deletes the contents. I'm curious, which KB article are you referring to that "say that this facility in Office or Outlook doesn't work properly"? Hal -- Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-DTS -- WA7BGX http://www.kvoa.com -- "When News breaks, we fi...

Reporting services available for use with access?
I am building a DB in access for my project managers, some will be using just access. Is it possible that report builder can be used in Access? In some way? ...

Outlook Attachment security
My system is secure enough, thank you very much. How do you bypass the OL2003 attachment security completely. TIA, Brian Hoover You can't. See http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup/getexe.htm for ways to unblock attachments. For more information on the security features, see http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook ...

Calender not updated with Appointment
Hi I have recieved a meeting request, but am unable to accept it. It also does not put a tentative appointment on my calender. I am using Microsoft Outlook 2003. Please can someone tell me how to do this ...

Still cannot recieve mail.
I am using a windows live account, I am trying to set up windows mail to connect to that account. I am now able to send I just can't receive. I get this error message. Account: 'Personal ', Server: 'POP3.live.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR command not implemented', Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC18 -- Ms. Victoria Morales Go to Tools, Accounts, select that mail account, Properties, Servers. Make sure that "Log on using Secure Password Authentication" is not = enabled.=20 --=2...

Routing e-mails from Public Folder to CRM
Is it possible to route e-mails, comming to the Mail Enabled Public Folder to some Queue in CRM? Jevgenij There is a link to an article I wrote relating to this issue on my blog. You can go to http://ts2community.com/blogs/larrylentz/archive/2006/08/13/1684.aspx and look for the 'here' link at the end of the posting. "Jevgenij Martynenko" <jm@no-spam.e-idea.lt> wrote in message news:20C033B7-D0D3-49AA-AFCC-E8BD56224FE3@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to route e-mails, comming to the Mail Enabled Public Folder > to some Queue in CRM? > > Jevgenij...

Send/Receive isn't transmitting e-mails from pop3 server
As far as I can trace, I downloaded XP SP2 and since then Outlook no longer can receive files from my pop3 server set-up. I removed XP SP2 and I still have the problem. I click on send/receive, it shows everything to work but e-mails are remaining on my internet e-mail server and not being transferred to Outlook. It was all working a few days ago.... Any advice? "Outlook 2000 SR-1 & Windows XP - Send/Receive" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:259401c4a996$dc144140$a301280a@phx.gbl... > As far as I can trace, I downloaded XP SP2 and si...

Sending via secure SMTP suddenly stops working
Greetings, I'm experiencing a strange problem with outgoing email via secure SMTP. After working perfectly, suddenly I can't send mail any longer. Outlook says that the SMTP server does not support SSL (don't have the exact error message). Usually, changing to another SMTP port number (I have two alternate ports I can use) and rebooting fixes the problem. This problem only appears with Outlook and Outlook Express - not with any of the Mozilla mail clients, Mulberry, or Eudora. Any ideas? /POL Outlook Express and Outlook only support secure smtp on the deprecated port 46...

Easy access-button to Access-database in Excel
Hello, we have made an excel-sheet which is connected to an access-database with the add-on template-guide (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=E01EA3D8-094D-4ED1-88DA-F4B8B2AD28BD). It is working fine but we would like there to be a button which is linked to the access-database connected with this sheet or at least a cell which has the path to the file. Does anybody know if this is possible? Kind regards, Chris You can use the Macro Recorder to record a macro while going through the steps manually to access the database. Then, create a drawing obj...

Exchange 5.5 (VPN/External Access)
Hi All, We currently use exchange 5.5 (win2k server) for our postoffice and im currently looking into giving a small amount of users access to their email from home. How secure or what are the best practices in this situation....? OWA pop3 tunneling VPN Custom Recipient (just forward email to their home account) Lets just leave this one out for the moment as i know all about this.... Each of these scare the hell out of me as the client machines will largly be out of my control. I think the VPN option scares me the most as this will give most access, whereas with the other two i'm...

Conversion from Access 2000
I have a formula that worked correctly in Access 2000 namely =IIf([Print Invoice Time Subform].[Form].[RecordsetClone]. [RecordCount]=0,0,[Print Invoice Time Subform].[Form]! [Total Hours]) However, in Access 2003, I think it can't evaluate the [RecordsetClone].[RecordCount]=0 part. Can anyone help with a replacement statement. Many thanks Hi John, I'm able to get results to work in the Northwind database sample using the Orders form in Microsoft Access 2003. Example: Dim str as String str = IIF([Orders Subform].[Form].[RecordsetClone].[RecordCo...

Reports created in Access 2003
When we upgraded to 2007 all the reports that had been created in 2003 were no longer on the toolbar at the top of the screen and I can't find them anywhere. Help. ...

Rule to block mail with Sent = None
The last bit of spam that gets through ens at the bottom of the list with sent = "none" - usually a 6kB mail but I can't block it on that as some valid mails are also 6kB. I tried setting date as < a date in the near past but that does not stop it. Any ideas? Return-path: <xxxxxxx> where xxxxx is my address Envelope-to: xxxxxxxxx Delivery-date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 13:55:20 +0200 Received: from h109-187-179-20.dyn.bashtel.ru ([109.187.179.20]) by www24.jnb2.host-h.net with smtp (Exim 4.69) (envelope-from <xxxxxxx>) id 1NfXdf-0005ld-0Q for xxxxxx...

Norton Internet Security 2004 and Outlook Errors
Anyone installed Norton Internet Security Professional 2004 on XP Operating System? Have you seen unusual errors when closing Outlook like: The instruction at "0x311e2355" referenced memory at "0x027842c0". The memory could not be "read". Any ideas? NIS2004 Pro also has a component called ccApp.exe, which likes to fully throttle up the processor, and it won't let go until reboot. NIS2004 Pro also causes some web pages to not display, regardless of configuration settings. So far, I've tried uninstall, reinstall, clean boot, and even reformatting t...