can't send outlook test message, pop & smtp are OK

i have configured a pop account in outlook 2002.  when I
click the button "test configuration settings" outlook
goes through a routine to send a test e-mail from the
account.  i can connect to the pop server, but am unable
to send a test message or connect to the smtp server.
outlook hangs and after several minutes comes back with
the error "unable to connect to ougoing mail server
(smtp) please contact your admin or ISP."
I have verified with my ISP that the settings are correct
and I am able to ping the pop and smtp settings.

the settings all look OK. I don't know what else to
check? could this be a hardware problem?  any suggestions
0
anonymous (74722)

Try a new mail profile.  Also, did you set up authentication?

--�
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Marcus asked:

| i have configured a pop account in outlook 2002.  when I
| click the button "test configuration settings" outlook
| goes through a routine to send a test e-mail from the
| account.  i can connect to the pop server, but am unable
| to send a test message or connect to the smtp server.
| outlook hangs and after several minutes comes back with
| the error "unable to connect to ougoing mail server
| (smtp) please contact your admin or ISP."
| I have verified with my ISP that the settings are correct
| and I am able to ping the pop and smtp settings.
|
| the settings all look OK. I don't know what else to
| check? could this be a hardware problem?  any suggestions

0
MillyS9060 (3207)
5/23/2004 6:01:00 PM
I did create a brand new profile, but this did not solve=20
the problem.  =CF'm not sure what you mean by "set up=20
authentication".
-marcus
authentication?

>--=81
>Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
>
>Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion=20
intact.  Due to
>the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent=20
to my personal
>account will be deleted without reading.
>
>After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer,=20
Marcus asked:

>| i have configured a pop account in outlook 2002.  when=20
>| click the button "test configuration settings" outlook
>| goes through a routine to send a test e-mail from the
>| account.  i can connect to the pop server, but am=20
unable
>| to send a test message or connect to the smtp server.
>| outlook hangs and after several minutes comes back with
>| the error "unable to connect to ougoing mail server
>| (smtp) please contact your admin or ISP."
>| I have verified with my ISP that the settings are=20
correct
>| and I am able to ping the pop and smtp settings.
>|
>| the settings all look OK. I don't know what else to
>| check? could this be a hardware problem?  any=20
suggestions=20

>.

0
anonymous (74722)
5/23/2004 6:16:37 PM
On the server tab of your account properties, what happens if you set your
outgoing server to authenticate using the incoming server credentials?

--�

anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com asked:

| I did create a brand new profile, but this did not solve
| the problem.  �'m not sure what you mean by "set up
| authentication".
| -marcus

0
MillyS9060 (3207)
5/23/2004 8:06:04 PM
In setting up a non-administrative account I had to establish a new
Outlook 2002 mail account.  I ran into the same "test" problem in
the setup dialog box.  After fiddling and checking settings several
times I decided to ignore the dialog box that kept eventually
popping up when I tried to run the test...the actual use of Outlook in
this non-administrative account works just fine despite the results of
the "test" attempt.

	Dean

Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] wrote:
> On the server tab of your account properties, what happens if you set your
> outgoing server to authenticate using the incoming server credentials?
>
> --�
> Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

> After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer,
> anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com asked:
>
> | I did create a brand new profile, but this did not solve
> | the problem.  �'m not sure what you mean by "set up
> | authentication".
> | -marcus

0
dean
5/23/2004 11:05:16 PM
I have been using the authenticate with the incoming=20
server credentials, but this has not worked either. =20

regarding non-administrative account...the user account=20
on the machine is an administrator.  How do I set up a=20
non-administrative account for outlook?  Can I have an=20
outlook non-administrative acct if the user's account on=20
the laptop is a member of the administrator group? =20

Thanks!
Marcus

establish a new
>Outlook 2002 mail account.  I ran into the same "test"=20
problem in
>the setup dialog box.  After fiddling and checking=20
settings several
>times I decided to ignore the dialog box that kept=20
eventually
>popping up when I tried to run the test...the actual use=20
of Outlook in
>this non-administrative account works just fine despite=20
the results of
>the "test" attempt.
>
>	Dean
>
>Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] wrote:
>> On the server tab of your account properties, what=20
happens if you set your=20
>> outgoing server to authenticate using the incoming=20
server credentials?
>>=20
>> --=81
>> Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
>>=20
>> Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion=20
intact.  Due to
>> the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail=20
sent to my personal
>> account will be deleted without reading.
>>=20
>> After searching google.groups.com and finding no=20
answer,=20
>> anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com asked:
>>=20
>> | I did create a brand new profile, but this did not=20
solve
>> | the problem.  =CF'm not sure what you mean by "set up
>> | authentication".
>> | -marcus
discussion intact.  Due to
answer, Marcus
when I
outlook
the
unable
server.
correct
suggestions
>>=20
>>=20
>.

0
anonymous (74722)
5/25/2004 4:32:33 AM
marcus <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> regarding non-administrative account...the user account
> on the machine is an administrator.  How do I set up a
> non-administrative account for outlook?  Can I have an
> outlook non-administrative acct if the user's account on
> the laptop is a member of the administrator group?

Outlook doesn't make distinctions like admin/limited.  An E-mail account has
nothing to do with Windows account security levels.
--
Brian Tillman

0
Tillmabg (988)

Where do the messages go?
I am going to do a offline defrag of our Exchange 5.5 (SP4 on W2k server)database and I had the question of where do the messages go when the services have stopped? I have done a couple of offline defrags and I have never had the question and I don't think we have lost any messages. Where are the messages held? Does the email bounce back to the sender? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, John "JohnH" <houserj2000@hotmail.com> wrote... > I am going to do a offline defrag of our Exchange 5.5 > (SP4 on W2k server)database and I had the question of &...

Outlook 2003 keeps crashing #2

Recieve Mail Before Sending

Outlook needs Outlook Express to work

Crash on 'Send"

SMTP Connectors #4
Hi, I have a problem with two Front-End servers in NLB. I have two connectors with address space *, one connector with cost 10 the other with cost 20 for connector availability purposes. Inbound mails are targeted to FrontEnd1, outbound mails should go from FrontEnd2 (e.g. MX for FrontEnd1 cost is 10; MX cost for FrontEnd2 is 20) Connectors: FrontEnd1 - Address space * - cost 10 - bridgehead srv = FrontEnd1; FrontEnd2 - Address space * - cost 20 - bridgehead srv = FrontEnd2 The problem: If both servers are up and running and somehow some mail ends in queue on FrontEnd2 it correctly crea...

Outlook 2003 and "Check Names"

Reminders in Outlook

Outlook default to paragraph

Outlook "Ruler" won't go away