Can't send or receive e-mails from "client" network computers

I have a small peer-to-peer network of three computers, and use MS
Outlook 2000 SP-3 (9.0.0.6627) as my e-mail program. All computers are
XP (SP2).

I've recently had to reinstall my setup following a system glitch on
the host machine. Everything is fine, except for one thing. I can
neither send nor receive e-mails from the two client machines.

I can access the central address books, Personal Folders etc. without
any problem; just can't actually send or receive via the client
computers.

If I try to send or receive from the clients, after a few moments
searching I get "The POP3 / SMTP server name you specified cannot be
found. Please check the name and try again".

Both the POP3 and the SMTP server names are correct.

(I should say that on a couple of occasions from one of the clients, a
self-addressed test message has somehow got out. However, they both
bounced straight back to that machine with the following comment:

"Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.