can't open .jpg from outlook 2000 without saving first

We have a laptop running Windows XP SP1 with Office 2000
Premium SR1 installed, all patches up to date.  When this
laptop receives an email message with a .jpg file
attached, we cannot double-click the attachment to open
it.  We get the error message, "No file format
information can be found in the registry."  When we
clicks OK, we get the message, "Unknown file format."
Microsoft Photo Editor opens, but nothing appears.

If we save the file to the desktop, it opens without any
problem, but uses the program Windows Picture and Fax
Viewer.  When we go in to the Folder Options/File Types,
it shows that .jpg files should be opening with Microsoft
Photo Editor.  So we changed it to open with Windows
Picture and Fax Viewer, but this had no effect.  When
opening the file from the email, we still get the errors
and the empty Microsoft Photo Editor screen.

Why would it be trying to use two different programs to
open the same file type, one program for Outlook and
another program for the desktop?  And why does changing
the "open with" program in Folder Options/File Types seem
to have no effect on which program is being used to open
these files in either location?
0
anonymous (74722)

�Hi,
please read this two articles
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;268781
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=232496&product=wrd20

Ich habe nichts gemacht, gestern gings noch!
Bitte in den Newsgroup antworten damit jeder etwas davon hat.
Bravestar@Datenschutzministerium.de
<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> We have a laptop running Windows XP SP1 with Office 2000
> Premium SR1 installed, all patches up to date.  When this
> laptop receives an email message with a .jpg file
> attached, we cannot double-click the attachment to open
> it.  We get the error message, "No file format
> information can be found in the registry."  When we
> clicks OK, we get the message, "Unknown file format."
> Microsoft Photo Editor opens, but nothing appears.
>
> If we save the file to the desktop, it opens without any
> problem, but uses the program Windows Picture and Fax
> Viewer.  When we go in to the Folder Options/File Types,
> it shows that .jpg files should be opening with Microsoft
> Photo Editor.  So we changed it to open with Windows
> Picture and Fax Viewer, but this had no effect.  When
> opening the file from the email, we still get the errors
> and the empty Microsoft Photo Editor screen.
>
> Why would it be trying to use two different programs to
> open the same file type, one program for Outlook and
> another program for the desktop?  And why does changing
> the "open with" program in Folder Options/File Types seem
> to have no effect on which program is being used to open
> these files in either location?

0
Bravestar (248)

Outlook 2003 keeps crashing #2