Can Import Email Data Filed from Office XP to Office 2003

My HD failed but I had a backup of my Office XP Pro personal file folder
with a lot of emails I needed. The file is about 128MB in size. I put a new
HD in and installed Office 2003 Pro. When I go to open the old file Outlook
2003 says that the file "is not a personal folders file". (It was backed up
to a CD ROM prior to the crash so the source file should be good.) I really
don't want to uninstall Office 2003 and put back Office XP. Any idea why
2003 won't open the file and how to work around that? Many thanks in advance
to anyone who knows the solution. Alan.

The only problem I have seen with this would be caused if the .PST file has
the Read Only attribute set. This is normally set when a .PST file is put
on a CD. Right click on the file and go to Properties and remove the Read
Only attribute if it is checked. Outlook 2003 is capable of opening a .PST
file from previous versions. A second thing you may want to try if that
does not work is to try importing the old .PST file.
1. Open Outlook.
2. Go to File -> Import and Export.
3. Select Import from another program or file and Click Next.
4. Select Personal Folder File (.pst) and Click Next.
5. Click the Browse button and browse to the old .PST file and Click Open
and then click Next
6. Select Import items into the same folder in: and use the drop-down arrow
to select the current .PST file and Click Finish.

I hope this information is helpful.

Robert Findlay
Partner Technical Lead -- Outlook/Office Setup
Microsoft Technical Support for Platforms and Business Applications

--------------------
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook
>Subject: Can Import Email Data Filed from Office XP to Office 2003
>From: rastaakazaa@hotmail.com
>Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 20:32:31 GMT
>
>My HD failed but I had a backup of my Office XP Pro personal file folder
>with a lot of emails I needed. The file is about 128MB in size. I put a new
>HD in and installed Office 2003 Pro. When I go to open the old file Outlook
>2003 says that the file "is not a personal folders file". (It was backed up
>to a CD ROM prior to the crash so the source file should be good.) I really
>don't want to uninstall Office 2003 and put back Office XP. Any idea why
>2003 won't open the file and how to work around that? Many thanks in
advance
>to anyone who knows the solution. Alan.

0
RFINDLAY (147)

Word Automation
Bug Report (can't find out how to submit bug reports other than here) Summary of bug - Word 2007 automation object throws error 5174 with any filename that has the pound sign (#). I have run into this bug only when using the Automation object for Microsoft Word 2007. I have not tried this with other versions of Word. The file I am opening is a "doc" file, NOT a "docx" or "docm". The filename contains a pound sign (#). I am able to open this file using any other method (File->Open; double-clicking from Windows Explorer; etc). But when opening ...

data dictionary memory allocation error
I carried out an upgrade v7.5 based on c-tree to 7.5 based on msde but this did not go flawlessly. Now when I run great plains I get the error: "data dictionary memory allocation error" I need help to be able to move from here because I need to upgrade to version 9 and to do that I will need version 7.5 to be working well. I have edited the Dynamics.set file according to help from the forums but still get the same error. Thanks Mugabi I have had this problem when I have tried to delete a product from the Dynamics.set file. I would do a new install of the Dynamics client, i...

word count in Excel 2003
How can one get a word count in an Excel document? Traduc, If you have Word, paste the sheet into it, and use File - Properties - Statistics. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "Traduc" <Traduc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:37B364F5-2029-469A-87CA-D0BC82365718@microsoft.com... > How can one get a word count in an Excel document? Thanx "Traduc" wrote: > How can one get a word count in an Excel document? ...

Drop-down data not appearing in exported XML
I'm exporting data as XML from an Excel spreadsheet. Cells with plain text in them work fine, but cells with a selection from a drop-down list do not. The XML file shows everything is there, except data from cells with drop-down selections. No error message generated, just no trace of the data. Any suggestions? thanks kc Fixed the problem. Found out that the drop-downs were actually objects placed on top of the cell, the options were not coded into the cells themselves. "Kristi" <kristi@NOSPAMinscriber.com> wrote in message news:MaCdnWD2xtF6CtveRVn-qQ@golden.net... > ...

Problem with character set in Excel 2003 ?!
Firstly, I'm sorry if my english is not on appropriate level. I am a new user in Excel and I'm competent only in graphical Exce interface. I have a serious problem with my work with Excel 2003. I' opening *.wk1 files (Lotus 1,2,3) without problems. This filetype is i the list of Excel filetypes, so the window "Text import wizard" (whic appear after opening an unknown file for Excel, like *.txt file fo example) does not appear. These *.wk1 files were created in MS-DOS i the past and were written on cyrillic alphabet, so they have differen character set from the default i...

97 to 2003 conversion issue
I'm getting a lockup state when running a process in my database once updated. I believe it has to do with this code can someone give me some details. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Sub GoToDesign() On Error Resume Next 'Ignore all errors, continue if possible... Call UserTrace([Screen].[ActiveForm].[Name], Me.[ActiveControl].[Name]) 'Fill tblAccessData with info DoCmd.Close acForm, "frmAbout" DoCmd.Close acForm, "frmSwitchboard" DoCmd.Close Call KillCommandBars Call SeeCommandBars Ch...

Why does the EULA appears every time open an Office Pro 2003 prog.
my software is duly licensed and correctly installed You must accept the Office End User License Agreement every time that you start an Office program http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884202 Sandy wrote: > my software is duly licensed and correctly installed ...

how can you set up excel to auto-save a document?
Cherrice That would depend upon your version of Excel. There is no Autosave in XL2002 and 2003 as there was in earlier versions. Autorecovery from Tools>Options>Save is it. This is not the same as Autosave which made true incremental saves at intervals and alerted you before saving. Autorecovery just saves a temporary file which it deletes if Excel closes normally without incident. BTW.....Dave Peterson reports that he tried an earlier version of Autosave.xla in XL2002 and it seemed to work fine. I have also tried the Autosave.XLA from XL97 and does the job. To download the 97 ...

checking that a file exists
WHat is the best way to determine if a file exists in a particular directory? I don't want to open it, I just want to know if it is there. Do I have to call OpenFile and then close or is there a more direct way? Thanks, -Rob In message <02b501c38dbb$aacd2e00$a101280a@phx.gbl>, Rob C <robnocspam@ctnosotwarespam.com> writes >WHat is the best way to determine if a file exists in a >particular directory? I don't want to open it, I just >want to know if it is there. Do I have to call OpenFile >and then close or is there a more direct way? GetFileAttribute...

Subform not allowing data entry
I have a database that I am creating to allow an organization to track alarm activations. I have used the forms wizard to create the f_alarm_info subform, and f_POC_info main form. The problem I'm running into is that I can input data into the main form, and into some of the fields of the sub-form. Any field pertaining to the table t_alarm_info will not allow data input. Below is a link to my google docs which has pdf's of the tables' relationships, and the documenter output. I'm pretty sure I have something off with the relationships that will not allow me ...

How to access outlook email at work from home
Is it possible to access work accout from outlook from home computer with two users What type of account do you have at work? If you have exchange server, you may have either OWA or Outlook anywhere access. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM New Poll: What type of email a...

Couple of queries re macros (end of data / delete row if...)
Hi, firstly when using the basic record a macro feature, I often want to select the entire range for sorting / formating etc. The problem is if any of the fields are blank, you can end up pressing end | down several times, and this is no good for changing data. So question is, is there a way of doing this via the record a macro screen, or is there some code I can paste into my existing macro? Secondly, how do I get a macro to check the contents of column N, and if it contains the words "Loaded at Site", delete the entire row and resort the spreadsheet. Thanks in advance. You co...

Web Link in Outlook Email takes long time?
Using Outlook 2003. I have a farily high end system but when clicking on a web link in an Outlook email it takes possibly 15-30 seconds for the browser to open and go to the web page. Why is this? Is there a setting to improve on this? No setting really. Thankfully, Outlook 2007 is much better. "Al Franz" <albert@nospam.netmation.com> wrote in message news:uJIblvufIHA.4728@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > Using Outlook 2003. I have a farily high end system but when clicking on > a web link in an Outlook email it takes possibly 15-30 seconds for the > browser to...

can't use contacts
When I try to create a message, contacts don't show up in the pulldown menu. To which "pulldown Menu" are you referring? We have no idea what you're thinking. -- Russ Valentine "Mike T" <MikeT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C44F993E-4DD2-4913-BED0-2826B0F5B44C@microsoft.com... > When I try to create a message, contacts don't show up in the pulldown > menu. Mike T - I believe he is referring to the auto-complete function that recognizes what your typing in and reccommends names you have used in the past. I may ...

scatter plots using pivot table data

MS Access file
I have a file at work that the boss uses and now has given to me. Only problem is the person who designed the access file to run from the bosses desk top. When I try and run the file from mine it comes up with an error shown below. I would like to know how I can change the code so that I can run the file as well. This file is in a general folder not locked. This is driving us both nuts can anyone help? Thanks Private Sub Form_Start() <----------------- This part is highlighted yellow. Set db = CurrentDb DoCmd.SetWarnings False DoCmd.Maximize ...

Canadian English for Microsoft Office for the Mac
Have just started using Microsoft Office on an iMac. The proofing tools do not include Canadian English, a language included with the proofing tools for the PC version of Microsoft Office. Does anyone know if this language is available? No, it's not available. We don't get all of the features of the PC version: Mac Office has a narrower range of languages available. On 24/7/07 5:21 AM, in article 1185220270.256796.238690@n60g2000hse.googlegroups.com, "waynedavies@sympatico.ca" <waynedavies@sympatico.ca> wrote: > Have just started using Microsoft Office on an ...

Help with email creation 2007
hello I'm a super newbee and was wanting help in making an email account to use with outlook 2007. I'm nout super smart when it comes to this stuff so any help with making one that will not cost me anything would be helpful. (seeing you have to pay to use it with msn. :-(.... ) do you have an email account already? if so, what type of account is it - imap, pop3 or web-based? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/b...

Using Publisher 2002 pictures disappear when a file is saved.
When using Publisher 2002 any pictures in a publication disappear when the file is saved. The pictures cannot be viewed when the file is opened again. I can use the hide pictures option and see the frames but I can see the pictures no matter what I select. Check out an updated video/graphics driver from the web site of your graphics card manufacturer. Do you have all the service packs for OfficeXP? http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdate/CD010225641033.aspx -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "DaveG" &...

Email from Access
Hello Arvin Meyer! I saw you your code OutlookEmail.Txt. Can you do the same for Outlook Express. I don't know how to define the application name for Outlook express. I would also like to have an option, just to open Outlook express, so the user has an option to select a other email address. Also I did download the emailSenate2k.mdb, but I cant open it, I get a message "This file located outside intranet or on an entrusted file". Thank you very much Abe Outlook Express doesn't expose itself for Automation like Outlook does. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP htt...

Accessing a database access file without a driver
Is it possible to access an access database file without using a driver? Is there a way to open an access file database programmatically (behind the scenes) and the access its content: tables, queries, etc. without using an ODBC driver or any other kind of driver?. For reasons long to explain I can’t use an ODBC driver. Take a look at this: http://www.rondebruin.nl/accessexcel.htm -- Ryan--- If this information was helpful, please indicate this by clicking ''Yes''. "Jess" wrote: > Is it possible to access an access database file without u...

can't use append xml results. Its always grayed out
I want to append xml results to existing xml tags. The properties menu has an option for appending xml results but this is always grayed out. It tried following directions in help pages, but still this option is always grayed out. How can I append xml results after importing a new xml source? ...

Import/Export New items between MRS's
At present I have 2 locations. I am waiting for my software vender to supply me with HQ. In the mean time I need to transfer son items from one location to the other. These items are not on the second RMS. Is there any way to Export / Imprort the item date for these Items or do I have to enter all 150 items at the second POS? Thank You Mike There is an import tool that is free and can be downloaded from the link below. You must have access to CustomerSource to dowload the file. http://tinyurl.com/buzwz Rob "Michael F. C" <Michael F. C@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote ...

forgot to attach doc sent via email, original's not saved. can it.
Someone was meant to send an important document to me via email but they forgot to attach the document, and do not have it saved on their system. Is there anyway for us to retrieve the document with the amendents included? Thanks The short answer is no. If it was not save then it is gone. -- HTH... Jim Thomlinson "AVS" wrote: > Someone was meant to send an important document to me via email but they > forgot to attach the document, and do not have it saved on their system. Is > there anyway for us to retrieve the document with the amendents included...

send newsletter in email
I have been searching through posts but unable to find my answer. I am trying to send a newsletter in the email but I have 3 pages. I figured out how to send a one page newsletter as part of an email but not all 3--that has to be done as an attachment which I dont want to do in the event my listserve people dont have publisher. Can someone tell me how to incorportate a 3 or 4 page newsletter INTO the email? thanks Stickman wrote: > I have been searching through posts but unable to find my answer. I > am trying to send a newsletter in the email but I have 3 pages. I > figured o...