Can find POP3 server but not SMTP?

Hi all

I am having a problem connecting to an SMTP server with Outlook 2000 in
Windows XP, it says that the SMTP server is not found and gives me a
dialogue box to try and reenter it.

The POP3 server is the same as the SMTP server (different ports), and
it finds the POP3 server no problem and downloads mail, but when it
goes to send mails, it tells me that it can't find the server (even
though it just found it). Also I have tried pinging the server, and no
problem there.

I checked the ports  - 25 for SMTP, 110 for POP3.
I also verified the following settings were correct by comparing with
another 2 computers on the same network (the server is outside our
LAN), one using Win XP with Outlook 2003 and one using Win NT with
Outlook 2000.

POP3 server name
SMTP server name
POP3 port
SMTP port
user/pass
"My server requires authentication"  (Set)
"Logon using Secure Password Authentication" (Clear)
"Connect using my local area network (LAN)" (Set)
"This server requires a secure connection (SSL)" (Clear for both POP3
and SMTP)

One thing is, on the computer where the SMTP can't be found, McAfee
security centre (I think it's called) is installed and was updated
shortly before this problem arose. I'm not sure if the SMTP stopped
being found as soon as McAfee was updated, but it's a possibility.

So are there any other settings I can be checking to make sure they are
correct?

Thanks very much for any help

See if the info here helps diagnose the issue:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/153119/en-us

<shockabsorber@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all
>
> I am having a problem connecting to an SMTP server with Outlook 2000 in
> Windows XP, it says that the SMTP server is not found and gives me a
> dialogue box to try and reenter it.
>
> The POP3 server is the same as the SMTP server (different ports), and
> it finds the POP3 server no problem and downloads mail, but when it
> goes to send mails, it tells me that it can't find the server (even
> though it just found it). Also I have tried pinging the server, and no
> problem there.
>
> I checked the ports  - 25 for SMTP, 110 for POP3.
> I also verified the following settings were correct by comparing with
> another 2 computers on the same network (the server is outside our
> LAN), one using Win XP with Outlook 2003 and one using Win NT with
> Outlook 2000.
>
> POP3 server name
> SMTP server name
> POP3 port
> SMTP port
> user/pass
> "My server requires authentication"  (Set)
> "Logon using Secure Password Authentication" (Clear)
> "Connect using my local area network (LAN)" (Set)
> "This server requires a secure connection (SSL)" (Clear for both POP3
> and SMTP)
>
> One thing is, on the computer where the SMTP can't be found, McAfee
> security centre (I think it's called) is installed and was updated
> shortly before this problem arose. I'm not sure if the SMTP stopped
> being found as soon as McAfee was updated, but it's a possibility.
>
> So are there any other settings I can be checking to make sure they are
> correct?

0
vince8328 (2733)

can't send or receive emails

Access 97 can't resize database window

How can I get 32-bit Integers?

Monitor Server in 2003?

Can you delete Business Alerts?

Office 2007 forms

can I snap wrap points to a text box

Outlook Mail via a PROXY SERVER?
If I am using a shared Internet service on a second computer using a PROXY server on the host (first) computer. I can access the net using the PROXY settings on the Internet explorer. However, how do I download mail with OUTLOOK 2000? The proxy server is CCPROXY from YoungZSoft (this runs on XP) and it has the MAIL Settings enabled but the difficulty is what to do on the Second computer? Thanks, -- John jrg_REM_SPAM@bigpond.net.au That would be determined by the proxy manufacturer - check with their support. JM7 wrote: > If I am using a shared Internet service on a second computer ...

Why ClassWiard can't see my Class?
I created a class(Class-A), derived a class(Class-B) which derived from CWnd class. When I used mouse right-click on the new-created class, it shows a popup-command-menu which missing "add virtual function" and "add windows message handler". From ClassWizard I couldn't see the new-created class either. I tried to delete myprogram.clw & re-issue ClassWizard, but it doesn't help. Anyone can help ? Thanks, Eagle "EagleChen" <xx@xx> wrote in message news:uRGde941DHA.3496@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > I created a class(Class-A), derived a class(C...

Publisher can not save file

SQL Server Connection Failed
Hi everybody, this is my scenario: 1. Windows Server 2008 2. WSS 3.0 + MOSS 2007 3. SQL Server 2008. i'm having this problem: "Login failed for user 'sa'. Reason: An error occurred while evaluating the password. [CLIENT: 72.55.191.137]". in this momment i can't see any application from sharepoint. somebody knows how can i do? i don't change the sa password. i don't change anything in the sharepoint configuration. since two days ago i'm having this problem. pls, is very urgent, because i have to deliver this server the next monday to the...

How can I print on 8 1/2"x17" paper?

how can I do a lookup into another sheet?
how can I do a lookup into another sheet? thanks ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Try something like =VLOOKUP(123,Sheet2!A1:B10,2,FALSE) -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "melawaisi" <melawaisi.ws67m@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:melawaisi.ws67m@excelforum-nospam.com... > > how can I do a lookup into another sheet? > thanks > > > ------...

Outlook, Palm Pilot, and Exchange Server
I'm using Outlook with an Exchange Server (2000 Small Business). I installed the software for the Palm Pilot and now it prompts with a dialog box for the user to chose the following when they reply, forward or reply to all on an e-mail message. A Program is trying to access e-mail addresses you have stored in Outlook. Do you want to allow this? If this is unexpected, it may be a virus and you should choose "No". Allow access for (if you check the box) it gives 1, 2, 5 and 10 minutes. If you say no it lets you reply, forward, and reply to all. This is a nuisance more than ...

Can't create the item #2