AutoComplete Outlook 2003 Distribution Lists

Hi all,

please excuse my complete lack of understanding of Outlook, AD and
hence my post.

I am trying to find out if a distribution list (created in AD), that
is stored in the AutoComplete list after you have typed it in at least
once, references the original group each time to check for updates to
the list. For example, let's say I have a distribution list called
'Company Cleaners' and I have sent an email to this group in the past.
The next time I start to type this Distribution List name in the 'To'
field, will it refer to the AD group or does it cache the names that
are in this group locally for a period of time. Logic would suggest it
would pull down the list names each time in case of change.

Is there a possibility that this information has been cached
(including the list of names) and may be outdated?

I understand that if I create my own distribution list then there is
likely to be a problem, but would like to know how a AD distribution
list is treated?

Any help for a novice is greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards
Davinci.

Members of an AD/Exchange based distribution list (DL) are not cached in the
nickname file.  And just so you know, Outlook doesn't pull down the member
list.  When sending a message to a DL, it is the Exchange server that
expands the list to see who needs to receive a copy.  So the only time it
can really go wrong is in large sites where domain controller/global catalog
server replication hasn't completed.

<davinci.savant@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> please excuse my complete lack of understanding of Outlook, AD and
> hence my post.
>
> I am trying to find out if a distribution list (created in AD), that
> is stored in the AutoComplete list after you have typed it in at least
> once, references the original group each time to check for updates to
> the list. For example, let's say I have a distribution list called
> 'Company Cleaners' and I have sent an email to this group in the past.
> The next time I start to type this Distribution List name in the 'To'
> field, will it refer to the AD group or does it cache the names that
> are in this group locally for a period of time. Logic would suggest it
> would pull down the list names each time in case of change.
>
> Is there a possibility that this information has been cached
> (including the list of names) and may be outdated?
>
> I understand that if I create my own distribution list then there is
> likely to be a problem, but would like to know how a AD distribution
> list is treated?
>
> Any help for a novice is greatly appreciated.
>
> Kind Regards
> Davinci.

0
Neo (372)
3/10/2008 11:56:36 PM
Thank you very much neo, I really appreciate you taking the time to
answer.

Kind Regards

DavinciSavant

On Mar 11, 12:56=A0pm, "neo [mvp outlook]"
<n...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Members of an AD/Exchange based distribution list (DL) are not cached in t=
he
> nickname file. =A0And just so you know, Outlook doesn't pull down the memb=
er
> list. =A0When sending a message to a DL, it is the Exchange server that
> expands the list to see who needs to receive a copy. =A0So the only time i=
> can really go wrong is in large sites where domain controller/global catal=
og
> server replication hasn't completed.
>
> <davinci.sav...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Hi all,
>
> > please excuse my complete lack of understanding of Outlook, AD and
> > hence my post.
>
> > I am trying to find out if a distribution list (created in AD), that
> > is stored in the AutoComplete list after you have typed it in at least
> > once, references the original group each time to check for updates to
> > the list. For example, let's say I have a distribution list called
> > 'Company Cleaners' and I have sent an email to this group in the past.
> > The next time I start to type this Distribution List name in the 'To'
> > field, will it refer to the AD group or does it cache the names that
> > are in this group locally for a period of time. Logic would suggest it
> > would pull down the list names each time in case of change.
>
> > Is there a possibility that this information has been cached
> > (including the list of names) and may be outdated?
>
> > I understand that if I create my own distribution list then there is
> > likely to be a problem, but would like to know how a AD distribution
> > list is treated?
>
> > Any help for a novice is greatly appreciated.
>
> > Kind Regards
> >Davinci.- Hide quoted text -

Crash on 'Send"

Outlook 2003 and "Check Names"

Password Issue with MS Money 2003

Outlook 2003 keeps crashing #2

Outlook needs Outlook Express to work

Outlook "Ruler" won't go away

Outlook 2003

cant start outlook pst file to large

Reminders in Outlook

Outlook default to paragraph

Addressing within Exchange 2003

saving and distributing a customized desktop
If there a way to customize one desktop and then copy the file to the other workstations so that they are set up the same way? I get calls all day from our users asking that I customizes their outlook to include some of the modifications I've made to my desk. We have Exchange Server and Outlook 2003 SP2. "Herb Segal" <herb@endlar.com> wrote in message news:Olsb5oBpKHA.5508@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > If there a way to customize one desktop and then copy the file to the other > workstations so that they are set up the same way? > > I get c...

Office 2003, Outlook (Outlook Today)...

Outlook Express 6 w/multiple accounts

Import from Eudora 6 to Outlook 2003

OutLook and Notes co-existing.