autocomplete addresses not working

I have just set up an account and imported my contacts via a windows csv
file, now when I start a new mail and start to type in the 'To' field the
address isn't automatically recognised. I have the settings correct in
Advanced e mail settings. Can this be restored?

0
noanswer (88)

You will restore it when you send enough messages to populate your
autocompletion cache. That's what Autocomplete uses, not your Contacts.
Autoresolution (Automatic Name Checking) uses your Contacts Data.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Headtheball" <noanswer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have just set up an account and imported my contacts via a windows csv
>file, now when I start a new mail and start to type in the 'To' field the
>address isn't automatically recognised. I have the settings correct in
>Advanced e mail settings. Can this be restored?

0
russval (3097)
9/22/2004 10:53:06 AM
What version of Outlook are you using?  If it's XP or 2003, then you might
be referring to autocomplete.  When you write set up a new account, do you
mean profile?  Autocomplete info. is stored in a hidden, system file called
an NK2 file.  If you set up a new profile then OL created a new NK2 file
corresponding to the new profile.  All you would have to do to retain the
NK2 from the other profile is to copy the old profilename.NK2 to the
Newprofilename.nk2.  Now, your autocomplete data will report to both
profiles.

All of this assumes your OL version and a clear understanding of your issue
which I'm uncertain about.  Anyway, good luck.

Randy
www.dcs-imaging.com
"Headtheball" <noanswer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have just set up an account and imported my contacts via a windows csv
>file, now when I start a new mail and start to type in the 'To' field the
>address isn't automatically recognised. I have the settings correct in
>Advanced e mail settings. Can this be restored?

Thx Randy,
Outlook 2003
New Profile
imported contacts in csv form

"Randy" <boatman180removethis@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> What version of Outlook are you using?  If it's XP or 2003, then you might
> be referring to autocomplete.  When you write set up a new account, do you
> mean profile?  Autocomplete info. is stored in a hidden, system file
> called an NK2 file.  If you set up a new profile then OL created a new NK2
> file corresponding to the new profile.  All you would have to do to retain
> the NK2 from the other profile is to copy the old profilename.NK2 to the
> Newprofilename.nk2.  Now, your autocomplete data will report to both
> profiles.
>
> All of this assumes your OL version and a clear understanding of your
> issue which I'm uncertain about.  Anyway, good luck.
>
> Randy
> www.dcs-imaging.com
> "Headtheball" <noanswer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I have just set up an account and imported my contacts via a windows csv
>>file, now when I start a new mail and start to type in the 'To' field the
>>address isn't automatically recognised. I have the settings correct in
>>Advanced e mail settings. Can this be restored?

0
noanswer (88)
9/22/2004 12:39:21 PM
Was your original NK2 file functional?  Here's a quick and dirty way to
build your NK2 file if you're interested:

You can quickly and easily create a new NK2 (autocomplete file) using the
following work-around:
In MS Outlook, go to tools, options, mail setup, send/receive.  Uncheck the
"Send immediately when connected box".  Next, press the Send/Receive Button
(in Options) and uncheck "Schedule an automatic send/receive".    Next
disconnect your computer from the internet by removing your network and/or
telephone connection.  Open a new e-mail, press the bcc or to or cc button,
select the contact folder you would like to bring into your NK2
(autocomplete) file.  Select all names by highlighting first and last
contact and then add them by pressing the OK button at the bottom.  With
your computer disconnected, press the send button.  This will automatically
populate your autocomplete file with all of the selected e-mail addresses.
Next, go to your Outbox and delete the e-mail(s) that you just created.  Go
back into your Tools, Options, Mail Setup, Send/Receive and change your
options back to the original settings.   Remember to put your mail settings
back and plug in your removed cables.

If you have the need for a utility to open the NK2 file, you can obtain one
that we developed.  It's at www.dcs-imaging.com/products.htm.  It's called
Owtlook if you're interested.

Good luck,

Randy
> Thx Randy,
> Outlook 2003
> New Profile
> imported contacts in csv form
>
> "Randy" <boatman180removethis@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> What version of Outlook are you using?  If it's XP or 2003, then you
>> might be referring to autocomplete.  When you write set up a new account,
>> do you mean profile?  Autocomplete info. is stored in a hidden, system
>> file called an NK2 file.  If you set up a new profile then OL created a
>> new NK2 file corresponding to the new profile.  All you would have to do
>> to retain the NK2 from the other profile is to copy the old
>> profilename.NK2 to the Newprofilename.nk2.  Now, your autocomplete data
>> will report to both profiles.
>>
>> All of this assumes your OL version and a clear understanding of your
>> issue which I'm uncertain about.  Anyway, good luck.
>>
>> Randy
>> www.dcs-imaging.com
>> "Headtheball" <noanswer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>I have just set up an account and imported my contacts via a windows csv
>>>file, now when I start a new mail and start to type in the 'To' field the
>>>address isn't automatically recognised. I have the settings correct in
>>>Advanced e mail settings. Can this be restored?

Randy <boatman180removethis@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Autocomplete info. is stored in a
> hidden, system file called an NK2 file.

Technically, it's not a system file.
--
Brian Tillman
0
Headtheball <noanswer@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Outlook 2003
> New Profile
> imported contacts in csv form

A word of advice: always avoid importing if you can help it.  The best way
to transfer data from one Outlook to another is to simply copy the PST from
that Outlook to the new and use File>Open>Outlook Data File to open it.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16051)

Address #2
Hello Is there a way to make outlook show the complete address that the mail was sent to instead of showing just the name of the receiver? If I have a contact with 2 emails (email address), and I click on his name in the email (that was sent by someone else), outlook opens the contact's details, but I don't know to which address the mail was sent to. Thanks! ...

getting Office for mac to work
Hi, I have downloaded the 2004 Office test drive and whenever I click on the icon, I get the "buy now or rming me later" and no matter which one I click on, I still can't get any application to appear. I want to view this program before buying! I also want to know the difference between the the Teacher/ student edition and the standard edition? Hope you can help. Cheers. On 6/16/06 4:00 AM, in article 1150444833.672734.99610@f6g2000cwb.googlegroups.com, "Rachel" <ozrachel@hotmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > I have downloaded the 2004 Office test drive and whenev...

Automatic calculation is not working
Hi, It seems that Excel is not calculating the workbook/sheets properly !!!!! If I hits F9 or Shift + F9 does not always calculate the cells !!! I tried to change the calculation modes (Automatic, manual) but nothing helps. When the problem occur the only way to calculate a cell is to enter the cell, hit F2 and then hit Enter. Somebody know what I change or if this is a bug on excel? Thanks in advanced Susan :( :( :( -- susang ------------------------------------------------------------------------ susang's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=...

Basseline work and no resources?
This seems messed up to me but please tell me if you also see this. In MSP2007 and also MSP2003, I have discovered that in projects without resources that if I save a baseline in a file, with no resources at all, that the SW is calculating what would equal 1 FTE worth of baseline work on each non-zero duration task. The baseline work in this case can be seen in a resource usage view if you add the baseline work field. The baseline work is not timephased. Why woud it be doing this and how do I stop it? I tested with MSP SP2 and Dec CU and also the April 2010 CU. I also tested on ot...

Cant make it work
I really need help with EXCEL. Here is what I want to do! I want it set up so I can have my credit card balances in one column, the APR in column 2, column 3 figure out minimun payment, column 4 is what i actually pay, and column 5 figure my new balance. Now my question is one is this possible? and 2 how do I go about making this happen? -- Bama_Buc ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Bama_Buc's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=37425 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=571009 ...

Copying email addresses to create a distribution list
I have tried selecting and copying the names/email addresses in the To field of an email and pasting them in the members field of a new distribution list, but only the names appear, not the email addresses. Can someone help me figure out how to paste the actual email addresses? I am using Outlook 2007 Thanks, -- Leslee You need to copy the addresses from the header. See http://www.slipstick.com/tutorials/create/dl.asp for a tutorial FWIW - if the people are in your contacts list, the names will resolve. If they are not in contacts, use the method in the tutorial. -- ...

address list not showing
Hi When I create new message, I click on "To" to select the user that I want to send email. Under "Global address list" I do not see all the users but under "All users" I am able to see all the users. Can anyone please explain me what is going on? Thanks ...

name suggestion not working even though activated
The "name suggestion" function in Outlook has stopped working (this is where you type, for instance, Sharon, and the system gives you a few options from e-mails that you've previously sent). Yet, when I looked at "Advanced E-mail Options", the "suggest names" function was checked. Why would it have stopped working? Corrupt profile or corrupt NK2 file. Create a new profile. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Debra Vinikour" <debravinikour@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1368001c44408$a6beb640$a301280a@phx.gbl... > The "name sugges...

Cannot get Outlook to work properly
I'm using Outlook 2002. For about 2 months now, I have had several problem that I cannot remedy. These include: - When saving a contact, the save as is blank (I receive a pop saying this will happen) - Old reminders keep appearing and will not dismiss - New reminders are not saved (no error message) I have tried repair, uninstall/reinstall of Outlook, cleanreminders switch, changing font on reminders, inbox repair tool. Does any one have suggestions on what may finally fix Outlook? Thanks, Brett Have you tried a new profile? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to t...

Gordon. Yes f9 worked.How come not automaticly?
Using Excel Spreadsheets My running sum at the bottem of page Changes automaticly When I enter new numbers on some sheets but I have to do it all over on others. Yes F9 worked but why is it not auto. Y -- TB T.B. You should stick to the same thread for continuity, please. Tools>Options>Calculation can be Auto or Manual. Excel takes the Calculation mode each session from the settings on the first workbook opened in that session. i.e. If you saved Book1 with calc mode in manual and opened it first, calc mode would be in Manual. If you saved Book2 with calc mode in auto and ope...

Links w/in same workbook not working
Windows XP Excel 2002 I have links referring to different cells in a different worksheet but the same workbook. After using the workbook many times, now my links all show "='worksheetname'!A12" instead of giving me what is actually in the cell. Relinking does not work. F2 does not work. It's nothing do do w/ my options. Any suggestions? Has the number format of your cells somehow gotten changed to Text format? Check Format, Cells, Number. Francis http://www.theexceladdict.com "JenR" wrote: > Windows XP Excel 2002 > I have links referring ...

How to send campaign emails from a common email address??
Hi everyone, I've tried to come up with a solution to this but cannot find anything that would really help. Hopefully some of you will be able to help... I would need to send out e-mail campaigns from a common e-mail address, for example sales@company.com etc. One solution would be to create a user with that email address. Only problem with this is that who user who is sending out the campaign e-mails woudl need to log on to CRM with different credentials just for the occasion. This pretty much makes it useless for my situation. What I would need, is the ability for one or more us...

Would like to add 20 working/weekdays to a date
Ideally I would like a formula that will add 20 working days (British calendar) to a date in another cell. I don't know if this is possible so as an alternative, what would the formula be for 20 weekdays? Many thanks, Pete Look at WORKDAY, it is not a native excel function but it comes with excel/office and it can be either installed when you first install office/excel or it can be added later =WORKDAY(A1,20,Holidays) where A1 is the start date, 20 is the workdays and Holidays is range with public holidays =WORKDAY(A1,20,H1:H11) where you would put each holiday date in H1:H11 if y...

Open and Work Files
Hi, A very basic questions.... What data the "open" and "Work" files store? DO they store only the posted, Unposted, Applied or historical information? Does the storage differs based on the modules? Regards, Manish Agarwal WORK: Unposted data in 10000 series tables OPEN: Posted data in 20000 series tables HISTORY: Historical data in 30000 series tables "Pavan" wrote: > Hi, > > A very basic questions.... > > What data the "open" and "Work" files store? DO they store only the posted, > Unposted, Applied or historical ...

Ctrl key to select records to print won't work
For some reason, I am unable to select non-adjacent records to print by holding down the Ctrl key and clicking the record selector boxes. I can choose adjacent records while holding down the Shift key and choosing selector boxes. Any ideas? I've never tried that with Access. I just did with Access 2007 and it won't select non-adjacent records as you stated. Seems that your options would be to sort the data so that the records are adjacent or better define the criteria in a query to only return the records that you wish to print. -- Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Acces...

Duplicate return address w/mail merge...
When executing this macro, the envelopes are generated as expected with the exception that the return address is duplicated. I deleted the info from option/user info thinking that I was picking up the address twice. No help. If I change 'omitreturnaddress' to true, no return address is generated. Any guidance will be greatly appreciated. Sub Xmas01() ' ' Xmas01 Macro ' Macro recorded 12/21/2006 by Donald ...initial step in setting up Xmas cards... ' ActiveDocument.MailMerge.MainDocumentType = wdEnvelopes ActiveDocument.MailMerge.OpenDataSource Name:="C...

I don't really understand how CAS permission work
Hi! I have counted the number of Permission in .NET to 32. So according to the documentation when I use RequestOptional for a specified permission it means that I will so to speak give away all but the one that I have specified. So in this simple use of declarative permission on the assembly level it will mean that I have given away 30 permission because I have specified that I will use these two UIPermission and FileIOPermission [assembly: UIPermission(SecurityAction.RequestOptional, Unrestricted = true)] [assembly: FileIOPermission(SecurityAction.RequestOptional, ViewAndMo...

Cache not working as expected when using list(of integer)
Hi, Please can someone explain what is happeing here. I'm caching a list of integers but they appear to dissapear when the original values are changed even though there is no dependencies set up. Example code below. Why does the cache dissapear? <%@ Page Language="VB" %> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http:// www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> <script runat="server"> Dim my_int As Integer Dim mylist As New List(Of Integer) Dim myotherlist As New List(O...

Help: Render works in Dialog but not in View?
The following jpg shows in a dialog fdo: gpPicture->Render( fdo->GetDC()->GetSafeHdc(), 35, 10, 100, 100, 0, hmHeight, hmWidth, -hmHeight, &rc); but it won't show in the RecordView: gpPicture->Render(GetDC()->GetSafeHdc(), 35, 10, 100, 100, 0, hmHeight, hmWidth, -hmHeight, &rc); Can anybody tell me what I am missing? Thanks. Please disregard, it does work. Sorry. "Charles C." <binstar@aei.ca> wrote in message news:uH4TbkIqDHA.2536@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > The following jpg shows in a dialog fdo: > > gpPicture->Render( fdo->G...

Outlook cannot access Global Address Book
Outlook 2000 & 2002 continue to lose the Global Address Book from the Exchange server. The location for the address book is somehow changed to either E or D. Outlook 2002 will also shutdown unexpectedly. ...

How do I know what my IP address is?
I am trying to set up an email account in Outlook and I don't know what my IP is Rockytom61 <Rockytom61@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I am trying to set up an email account in Outlook and I don't know > what my IP is You don't need to know your IP address to create an account. Why do you think you do? IN fact, there's a good chance that every time you boot your PC it will have a different IP address. It depends on how it is assigned. -- Brian Tillman Do you mean you do not know what your ISP is? Nowhere in Outlook does it require you for your IP ...

Unknown IP address
I have to communicate from my PC (Windows Vista) with a device that runs Windows XP, has no keybord and disply. Problem is that I don't know its ip address. I thout to run WIreshark on my PC but I don't know whats the best ip address and mask that I should set in my PC to asure that the sniffer would "see" the packets. Can someone advise please? Regards Morris On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 08:18:23 +0200, "Morris" <imorris@mako.com> wrote: >I have to communicate from my PC (Windows Vista) with a device that runs >Windows XP, has no >keybord a...

Can I download & send from two email addresses to one Outlook?
I'm moving from Outlook Express 6 on my XP desktop up to Outlook 2007 on my new Vista laptop. In OE I have two email addresses in one Identity. One is personal, one is a home business. This means I sign in once, and both sets of emails will download. When I send mail, I can choose which email address I am sending from. Hence, all my email in my folders is a mix from these two. (And my addresses/contacts are mixed also) Is it possible in Outlook 2007 to have two email addresses in one account as well? This would mean I'd open Outlook only once and run the same way I did i...

Does this work well on Exc.2003?
Perform Reverse DNS Lookup for Incoming Messages option? I saw the warnings about slow down, degrading, internet connections,etc.,.... What is the consensus? Thanks Reverse DNS lookup for what? Exchange doesn't have a mechanism to block email based on reverse lookup failure... iirc. 3rd party products typically offer this. -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT -------------------------------- "BrianMultiLanguage" <BrianMultiLanguage@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8BD6D243-CA27-4869-BFFD-EEB4E929AA65@microsoft.com... > Perform Reverse DNS Lookup for Incomin...

Default Address Book
Does anybody know how I can set Outlook clients to default to a specific address book on the Exchange server (2003) instead of defaulting to the GAL? It seems that a person can set it manually by opening their Outlook address book and setting the "Show this address list first" option under the Tools->Options menu, but is there a way to do it either through Exchange or Group Policy?. Any help is appreciated. Thanks. dln wrote: > Does anybody know how I can set Outlook clients to default to a > specific address book on the Exchange server (2003) instead of > defa...