Attachments not accessible to Outlook Express clients receiving mail from Outlook 2007

I have a client who is running Outlook Express 6.0 on XP who noticed that
only in a couple of cases, that the email message has the data for the
attachment, but the attachment icon is not present for the message and he
cannot therefore see or save it. What I discovered is that the two parties
he is experiencing this problem in their email is that they are sending to
him from Outlook 2007. One of them is his accountant down the hall using the
same domain via internet (non-exchange) email. (outlook 2007, on Vista
business).

A random check of several other emails shows that the emails that have
attachments visible are not from Outlook 2007.

Tools->Options->Security "Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened
that could potentially be a virus." is clear.(Not checked).

Has anyone else experienced this problem and has anyone found a solution???

ianmarsh (2)

how are you determining the message has the attachment? If by looking at the
message source, does it have a winmail.dat? That is caused by the Outlook
user sending messages in RTF format.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

"Ian Marsh" <ianmarsh@teksavvy.com> wrote in message
> I have a client who is running Outlook Express 6.0 on XP who noticed that
> only in a couple of cases, that the email message has the data for the
> attachment, but the attachment icon is not present for the message and he
> cannot therefore see or save it. What I discovered is that the two parties
> he is experiencing this problem in their email is that they are sending to
> him from Outlook 2007. One of them is his accountant down the hall using
> the same domain via internet (non-exchange) email. (outlook 2007, on Vista
> business).
>
> A random check of several other emails shows that the emails that have
> attachments visible are not from Outlook 2007.
>
> Tools->Options->Security "Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened
> that could potentially be a virus." is clear.(Not checked).
>
> Has anyone else experienced this problem and has anyone found a
> solution???
>
> Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

0
outlookmvp (5838)
10/8/2008 3:21:28 AM
Thank you for responding.  The best example is  a message that was sent to
more than one person in the company. The Outlook Express client has the same
size showing for the message, and you can see the base-64 content in the
message details.  The 2007 messages are set to being sent in HTML format.
Oddly enough, they are Winmail.dat attachments of other documents. Does that
mean the attachment is rtf format or the whole message??

Thanks,

> how are you determining the message has the attachment? If by looking at
> the message source, does it have a winmail.dat? That is caused by the
> Outlook user sending messages in RTF format.
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>
> Outlook Tips by email:

> http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx or point your
> newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.
>

> "Ian Marsh" <ianmarsh@teksavvy.com> wrote in message
>> I have a client who is running Outlook Express 6.0 on XP who noticed that
>> only in a couple of cases, that the email message has the data for the
>> attachment, but the attachment icon is not present for the message and he
>> cannot therefore see or save it. What I discovered is that the two
>> parties he is experiencing this problem in their email is that they are
>> sending to him from Outlook 2007. One of them is his accountant down the
>> hall using the same domain via internet (non-exchange) email. (outlook
>> 2007, on Vista business).
>>
>> A random check of several other emails shows that the emails that have
>> attachments visible are not from Outlook 2007.
>>
>> Tools->Options->Security "Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened
>> that could potentially be a virus." is clear.(Not checked).
>>
>> Has anyone else experienced this problem and has anyone found a
>> solution???
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

0
ianmarsh (2)
10/8/2008 12:34:12 PM
The message is being composed in RTF format. The sender needs to use plain
text.

--

> Thank you for responding.  The best example is  a message that was sent to
> more than one person in the company. The Outlook Express client has the
> same size showing for the message, and you can see the base-64 content in
> the message details.  The 2007 messages are set to being sent in HTML
> format. Oddly enough, they are Winmail.dat attachments of other documents.
> Does that mean the attachment is rtf format or the whole message??
>
> Thanks,
>

> "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlookmvp@msn.com> wrote in message
>> how are you determining the message has the attachment? If by looking at
>> the message source, does it have a winmail.dat? That is caused by the
>> Outlook user sending messages in RTF format.
>>
>> --
>> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>>
>> Outlook Tips by email:
>> dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net

>> You can access this newsgroup by visiting
>> http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx or point
>> your newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.
>>

>> "Ian Marsh" <ianmarsh@teksavvy.com> wrote in message
>>> I have a client who is running Outlook Express 6.0 on XP who noticed
>>> that only in a couple of cases, that the email message has the data for
>>> the attachment, but the attachment icon is not present for the message
>>> and he cannot therefore see or save it. What I discovered is that the
>>> two parties he is experiencing this problem in their email is that they
>>> are sending to him from Outlook 2007. One of them is his accountant down
>>> the hall using the same domain via internet (non-exchange) email.
>>> (outlook 2007, on Vista business).
>>>
>>> A random check of several other emails shows that the emails that have
>>> attachments visible are not from Outlook 2007.
>>>
>>> Tools->Options->Security "Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened
>>> that could potentially be a virus." is clear.(Not checked).
>>>
>>> Has anyone else experienced this problem and has anyone found a
>>> solution???
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

0
outlookmvp (5838)

OL 2002 Hanging up When Attaching Docs

Reporting from Project Server

Attaching Contacts to new email

Voice connector on Exchange server 2007.

owa cant open ppt attachments

Outlook Sales

outlook will not save my outgoing mail

Outlook 2002 (office xp developer suite)

WCF Client serialization problem

projecting the notes pages in PPT 2007

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

Moving from Outlook Express to Outlook