Anyway to get settings back..?

I lost the ability to get into my Windows 2000 Server system, almost 2 weeks
ago, and the ONLY way I can actually access my files, is by booting under
"command prompt" in safe mode. I tried everything I can think, to bring back
the GUI interface, but I wasn't able to access my regular desktop, and any
of its graphical components (the icons, the task bar, the quick launch,
nothing). During my desperation to eliminate a "spy ware" I got from the
web, I apparently deleted some "key files" that were responsible to display
the desktop, with all the regular settings and shortcuts. I wasn't even able
to open Explorer or use any of the (still) installed programs.

I was able to copy all the files I accumulated and worked on for a while,
including the hidden and system files, thinking that I could just "put them
back" once I re-install Window 2000 Server again, and everything will
(magically) came back to normal. However, I reinstalled the OS, and all I
got was another (bare) interface, with the files and programs under a
(different) separate user. I know there is a file (or something) that still
have this information somewhere, but I don't know where it is or how to get
it and "reinstate" it back into the (new) Windows 2000 Server.

Could somebody please, guide me (in plain English) how to do this..?

Also (and I apologize if I am abusing here) I am not able to get the Outlook
settings they way I had it before I lost the system. Thankfully I was able
to get the MS Outlook file that contained all the "data" for my contacts,
appointments, tasks, emails, etc. However, this file didn't contain some
important settings for me, like the "Email rules", all the information for
the email accounts (addresses, server settings, passwords, etc.) the
customized toolbars and menus, macros, etc.

Could somebody please, let me know what file(s) contains this information..?

Please, reply to this newsgroup, or directly to my email address
hugoa@dreamscape.com

I greatly appreciate any suggestions;

Hugo

0
hugoa (2)

I can't help you with the Windows stuff but here is a page that lists all
the Outlook filenames and where they're typically stored (some files can be
stored in user-defined locations):

http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm

--
Jocelyn Fiorello
MVP - Outlook

In news:10quu757pn2cjd3@corp.supernews.com,
Hugo Acosta wrote:

> I lost the ability to get into my Windows 2000 Server system, almost
> 2 weeks ago, and the ONLY way I can actually access my files, is by
> booting under "command prompt" in safe mode. I tried everything I can
> think, to bring back the GUI interface, but I wasn't able to access
> my regular desktop, and any of its graphical components (the icons,
> the task bar, the quick launch, nothing). During my desperation to
> eliminate a "spy ware" I got from the web, I apparently deleted some
> "key files" that were responsible to display the desktop, with all
> the regular settings and shortcuts. I wasn't even able to open
> Explorer or use any of the (still) installed programs.
>
> I was able to copy all the files I accumulated and worked on for a
> while, including the hidden and system files, thinking that I could
> just "put them back" once I re-install Window 2000 Server again, and
> everything will (magically) came back to normal. However, I
> reinstalled the OS, and all I got was another (bare) interface, with
> the files and programs under a (different) separate user. I know
> there is a file (or something) that still have this information
> somewhere, but I don't know where it is or how to get it and
> "reinstate" it back into the (new) Windows 2000 Server.
>
> Could somebody please, guide me (in plain English) how to do this..?
>
> Also (and I apologize if I am abusing here) I am not able to get the
> Outlook settings they way I had it before I lost the system.
> Thankfully I was able to get the MS Outlook file that contained all
> the "data" for my contacts, appointments, tasks, emails, etc.
> However, this file didn't contain some important settings for me,
> like the "Email rules", all the information for the email accounts
> (addresses, server settings, passwords, etc.) the customized toolbars
> and menus, macros, etc.
>
> Could somebody please, let me know what file(s) contains this
> information..?
>
> Please, reply to this newsgroup, or directly to my email address
> hugoa@dreamscape.com
>
> I greatly appreciate any suggestions;
>

> Hugo

I need to C&P a section of Excel to Word but I need to get it to fit on a standard 8.5x11!
Is there a way to make this happen? The sections that I need to C&P are all the columns are 14 wide and the rows are 40, 41,44 and 65. How do I get these to fit on the page? Marc Marc wrote: > Is there a way to make this happen? The sections that I need to C&P are all > the columns are 14 wide and the rows are 40, 41,44 and 65. How do I get > these to fit on the page? > > Marc > > Smaller font, cut margins to the minimum, print landscape Print Preview > shrink to fit, are all options just depends on how wide the fields are. It just may be to big to fit ...

any problems getting msnhotmail messages through outlooK?
I'm going away and want an out of office feature. I'm thinking of setting myself up through outlook but have msn hotmail. Are there any problems with doing this? Sandy Hirsch If you're a new hotmail 'customer' you wont be able to get your messages with Outlook. If you've had a hotmail account for at least a few months you should be able to get all your email with outlook. Its real simple, even easier than setting up a regular account. -James "Schwartz" <Schwartz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7B7EA122-7661-4350-8709-0376C1885EAC...

where do I get a supscription?
I know the site but where do I find it on the site??? Ask your local pharmacist http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm --=20 Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "need help" <need help@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message = news:E174AC64-45B6-43FC-BF51-889821AA4B75@microsoft.com... >I know the site but where do I find it on the site??? Surely that a perscription? "Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eBKGdZDkHHA.4936@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... Ask ...

Setting up Conference Rooms as Resources in Exchange 2003
Hello, I've spent a considerable amount of time fishing around for a document I had once found describing a Microsoft add-on to Exchange 2003 that would allow us to set up conference rooms, projectors, etc., as resources to invite or schedule in Outlook. Does anyone know where this went to? So far I can't seem to find it. Many thanks! Auto-accept Agent Admin & Deployment Guide http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/library/autoaccpt.mspx -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT -------------------------------- "AJWS" <AJWS@discussions.microsoft.com>...

Outbox messages get stuck with Scansoft PDF Converter Addin
If your Outbox is acting funny and changing messages from waiting to be sent (Italic Bold) to draft status (Normal Bold) and you have Scansofts PDF Converter Addin installed, you need to disable the Addin. This is from the Scansoft KB: Problem: When sending messages to Microsoft Outlook Outbox in off-line mode, the message is converted to a draft instead of a sendable message. Cause: The PDF Converter Com add-in for Microsoft Outlook XP causes messages in Microsoft Outlook Outbox (off-line mode) to convert from sendable messages to draft messages that cannot be sent when Outlook ...

how do i get missing rows back
My excel worksheet is missing rows 37-58. There is a heavy gray gridline in between rows 36 & 59. Where did they go? How do I get them back? Hi Select from rows 36:59>right click>Unhide -- Regards Roger Govier "dkresch" <dkresch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0EDE73AB-87DB-43DB-B9DB-E7E82C7D39D9@microsoft.com... > My excel worksheet is missing rows 37-58. There is a heavy gray gridline > in > between rows 36 & 59. Where did they go? How do I get them back? "dkresch" <dkresch@discussions.microsoft.com> wro...

Rows to repeat getting cut off on 2nd page
I set rows 1-3 to repeat on all pages, but on the second page, it is getting cut off a few columns in.any suggestions? thanks! ...

setting up tax tables in RMS
I have a client who has special tax needs. $0-$1600 is taxed at 9.25 $1601-$3200 is taxed at 9.75 $3201- and above is taxed at 7% so for example- for a $3,300.00 item- the tax would be $311.00. How would I set this up in RMS? Help! Thanks Andrea Andrea, Create 3 Sales Taxes. Sales Tax 1 Minimum Taxable Amount = None Maximum Taxable Amount = $1,600.99 Tax Rate = %9.25 Sales Tax 2 Minimum Taxable Amount = $1,601.00 Maximum Taxable Amount = $3,200.99 Tax Rate = %9.75 Sales Tax 3 Minimum Taxable Amount = $3,201.00 Maximum Taxable Amount = None Tax Rate = %7 Assign all of these taxes to one...

Can't get bar code font to work in EXCEL 2003
I have a simple formula that converts a part number to a 3 of 9 bar code font in Excel 2003. Works great on my computer but a co-worker, who also has Excel 2003, can't get this to work. On her PC it show the 3 of 9 font in the drop down box but in the cell it is not converting it to a bar code image. Any suggestions? Thanks, Tony Most likely the font is not installed properly... She needs to reinstall the font. It can be done through Control Panel -> Fonts if you have the font available. "Tony" wrote: > I have a simple formula that conve...

Can't get to resource description info
We recently moved to a Citrix environment and seemed to have lost acces to the Resource Description utility. I can launch it and see the choices for tables, fields, and windows, but when I pick one the trouble begins. If I pick tables, I get an error message saying: An open operation on table olfd_files failed because the path does not exist When I click ok, I get another dialogue message: Scrolling window link table not on form Next I get what looks like a VB error: Unhandled form exception: Form load failed EXCEPTION_CLASS_FORM_MEMORY SCRIPT_CMD_OPENFR If I try to get to field d...

setting up common headers
I have a template set up that displays and prints six reports. Each report contains a header showing: Name of Client Account# Title of Report Date Range of Report Currently I have the header set up in each worksheet and I input the data for each report. I'd like to streamline this if possible, The client name and number remains the same across all reports The Title is specific to each report and does not change. On some reports the date is a range and others it is either the beginning or ending date of the specified range. I'd like to input the Name, Number and date range ...

get CPU usage (like in task manager) and FreePhysicalMemory
Hi, I've no experience in csharp and i search for scripts over the net for find the current cpu usage like in task manager (for all processors ) when i run it and another script that show the current Free Physical Memory. THX you can use wmi... for example Win32_OperatingSystem offers some useful information: using System; using System.Collections.Generic; using System.Linq; using System.Text; using System.Management; namespace memory { class Program { static void Main(string[] args) { var query = new ObjectQuery("SELE...

Getting ASSERT on one machine but NOT the other
I have VS2k5 (MFC, C++) installed on two computers. I have a project checked into version control (StarTeam). I checked it out and compiled it in "debug build" on two PC's. On one PC it exits just fine when I click the 'X' on the banner bar. However, on the other PC, I am getting an ASSERT in: BOOL PASCAL CWnd::WalkPreTranslateTree(HWND hWndStop, MSG* pMsg) at: ASSERT(hWndStop == NULL || ::IsWindow(hWndStop)); Any idea why it behaves differently on two machines? Jim Well, this suggests that the window is NULL or invalid. So, without knowing what window is involv...

i want to set conditional format to cells containing odd numbers
i want to set conditional format to cells containing odd numbers 1. Select the cell/Range (say A1:A10). Please note that the cell reference A1 mentioned in the formula is the active cell in the selection. Active cell will have a white background even after selection 2. From menu Format>Conditional Formatting> 3. For Condition1>Select 'Formula Is' and enter the below formula =MOD(A1,2) 4. Click Format Button>Pattern and select your color (say Red) 5. Hit OK PS: If you are using XL2007 Goto Home tab>Styles>Conditional Formatting>Manage rules>New...

Excel Linear Regression by set slope (not intercept)
Hi Guys is there a way in excel to get the linear regression function to specify a function based on a set intercept (say =1), instead of a set intercept. I believe this ability should have been included in excel from day 1. Answered under you post to microsoft.public.excel.misc. Please do not separately post the same question to multiple newsgroups. Jerry "Ben" wrote: > Hi Guys > is there a way in excel to get the linear regression function to > specify a function based on a set intercept (say =1), instead of a set > intercept. > > I believe this ability s...

Setting up signatures that I have control over
Hi. I have Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003 for Students and Teachers and I have been trying to set up Signatures for Outlook ever since I got it. In the past when I had Outlook I could make several signatures and click on a readily accessable button to have it automatically inserted. It was fast and easy. Now it seems that setting up signatures is a complex project. The only time I get a signature is when I reply to a message and then the same signature is inserted in the reply. I would like to CHOOSE the signature like I was able to in the past. In my menu bar I have ALL E...

how change default set for email client
when we first time use outlook , it will ask to setup as default email client. so during access interenet , some webpage has contact us link to email, when click it will pop to outlook, but fo some reason, some use click cntact us in web , it will pop a outlook express. which is not my expected, how can i set it back to outlook Thank gary ...

Getting Creative With Notes
While I realise that this is totally unsupported I was wondering if anyone had ever tried the following: I have added an iFrame to a Service Activity to which I am assigning the URL during the form's load event. If the SA has a Case (incident) specified in the "Regarding" field I use the GUID of this case to build up a URL that references that Case's Notes for example: /ORG_Name/_controls/notes/notesdata.aspx?id={Case_GUID} &ParentEntity=112&EnableInlineEdit=true&EnableInsert=true This works in so much that you can now see any Notes that have been created on th...

Windows Mail Set Up
I am trying to set up my windows mail to link with my gmail account. How do I do it? gmail help might be a place to start "Matt Finch" <Matt Finch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E53AE732-FBF0-4AAC-98C6-BC0D9E3FE1FF@microsoft.com... >I am trying to set up my windows mail to link with my gmail account. How do >I > do it? Gmail Help: POP: http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=86383 IMAP: http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=77696 "Matt Finch" <Matt Finch@discussions.microsoft.co...

Getting ' database full' error message trying to save in Publisher
I am getting a pop up error which states 'The disk is full trying to write C: etc etc. Save this file on a different disk and/or drive." My C; drive has plenty of space and when I try to save to a CD, I get an error message as well. This is a trial version of Office which has about 28 days left of a 60-day trial if that makes a difference. Last night I WAS able to save the same document. I am on a deadline and I really need help. Thanks so much Never save directly to removable media. Won't work. What is the exact error message you get when you try to save to the ...

I can't get the formula result to display on my spreadsheet.
This is a phenomenonally simple task: All I want is the formula "=SUM(B38:F38)" result to display on my spreadsheet. Excel shows $0.00 in the cell. The formula result, however, is '$9288.72.' I am so frustrated!!! Thanks for any help with this prob. Sounds like your numbers are stored as text, format them to a number format. -- -John Northwest11 Please rate when your question is answered to help us and others know what is helpful. "Kai" wrote: > This is a phenomenonally simple task: > > All I want is the formula "=SUM(B38:F38)" resul...

how do i set up format for employee attendance monthly
i need a format of employees attendance which is how many sick days use, how much absent days, how much vacation used and how many medical leave brought in, and every month end a calculation and a percentage at the end of the format. Go to the Office Template Gallery and type attendance in the search dialog. Or employee tracking http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/default.aspx Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 12:03:01 -0700, mediumpeach <mediumpeach@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >i need a format of employees attendance which is how...

Set up phone line for automatic dialing with broadband
How should I set up to use Outlook for automatic phone dialing when using Broadband? Charles You dont, yr Accounts Connection should be LAN There is an option for how often to check for new mail, dont set it for less than 10mins "Sailor" <losailor@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:cikf5q$523$1@hercules.btinternet.com... > How should I set up to use Outlook for automatic phone dialing when using > Broadband? > > Charles > > ...

How do I add 12 out of 18 numbers without using sort to get them .
The list are scores that need to be kept in order. I need to be able to add the best 12 numbers to provide a score at the end of the year. Can anyone help? Hi Tas Checkout =LARGE in help. That may give you a clue. John North Yorkshire UK "Tas" <Tas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4E76B260-9F57-4BCB-93BF-051C1B6207EE@microsoft.com... > The list are scores that need to be kept in order. I need to be able to > add > the best 12 numbers to provide a score at the end of the year. > > Can anyone help? On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 02:25:07 -0700, Ta...

Back and foward tool buttons are grayed out in Xps3
I recently did a system restore point on my windows xp Sp3 machine since I had some issue. The computer is clean from any virus. I noticed that in in folder of the tool bar, the back or fowad button does not work. The buttons of the foward and back are grayed out and do not function. I have to use the up arrow button to go back to where I was. This has been frustrating me all day. I am open to hearing from anyone who can provide me a fix on how to repair the back and foward buttons. RussellA "Russell Ashenberg" <neshoma@bezeqint.net> wrote in message ...