another applic. did't shut down properly messed up outlook.pst

I was setting up companion link to sync goldmine calender.  It did not work
so I uninstalled companion link and tryed to reenter outlook.  Now I get this
error message: Unable to display folder.  Another application closed while
using your personal folders file....outlook.pst.  How do I fix the error and
use my outlook.

Billy Calhoun;117725 Wrote:
> I was setting up companion link to sync goldmine calender.  It did not
> work
> so I uninstalled companion link and tryed to reenter outlook.  Now I
> get this
> error message: Unable to display folder.  Another application closed
> while
> using your personal folders file....outlook.pst.  How do I fix the
> error and
> use my outlook.

Have you tried the Inbox Repair Tool (SCANPST.EXE)?  That's what I'd
try.

--
Brian Tillman

[MVP-Outlook]
http://forums.slipstick.com

0
Brian
1/22/2010 6:34:04 PM
First - make sure that there are no orphan processes running in the task
manager that shouldn't be. If there are, stop them, close Outlook and try
again (Chances of this solving your problem are very slim but it is worth
checking).

Given past history with this kind of error, if the problem didn't resolve
itself by closing and restarting Outlook, the chances of ScanPST fixing the
problem is also likely to be slim - any time that we encountered this issue
that didn't resolve itself almost immediately - it became permanent and the
folder could not be opened. Have yet to find a solution to this.

That said, in virtually 99% of the cases where this issue (or similar
issues such as Folder Full messages etc) were encountered, the data was not
lost but only accessible by copying it to another folder (specifically by
right clicking on the folder name and selecting "Copy/Move contacts"  -
options available will depend on whether or not the selected folder was the
default etc..) To further complicate the issue, if the contact folder was
in fact your default, you will have to reconstruct all your info in a new
PST file and make it your new default since you cannot delete a default
folder of any type. Of course, if you have a current backup, you can be
operational again in a few minutes.

Karl
Karl Timmermans - The Claxton Group
ContactGenie - QuickPort/DataPort/Exporter/Toolkit/Duplicate Contact Mgr
"Contact import/export/data management tools for Outlook '2000/2010"
http://www.contactgenie.com

"Billy Calhoun" <Billy Calhoun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I was setting up companion link to sync goldmine calender.  It did not
>work
> so I uninstalled companion link and tryed to reenter outlook.  Now I get
> this
> error message: Unable to display folder.  Another application closed
> while
> using your personal folders file....outlook.pst.  How do I fix the error
> and
> use my outlook.

0
Karl

font in outlook 2003 reply
when i reply to an email with plain text my reply is in plain text eventhough my setting for replying and forward is set to arial 10. my email editor is msword 2003 sp3. how do i fix this? thanks. Fix what? That is the intended behavior. Outlook replies with the same format the sender uses. That is considered common courtesy. You can override it manually if you think that's what the sender wants you to do. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "nlehrer" <nlehrer@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:9602959f-d164-497a-b423-e292dd38eaa9@c23g2000hsa.googlegroups.com... > when ...

Have Outlook 2000. How do I get rid of spam?
I need step by step directions because I don't know the termenology. When we open Outlook it comes up under my husband's e-mail. Then I Open mine. He is not spamed. I get hundreds each day. HELP! winnieB <winnieB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I need step by step directions because I don't know the termenology. > When we open Outlook it comes up under my husband's e-mail. Then I > Open mine. He is not spamed. I get hundreds each day. HELP! Step by step: 1) Open Internet Explorer. 2) Browse to http://spambayes.sourceforge.net/ 3) Downoad SpamBaye...

How do I copy a date from excel to a outlook calender?
I am looking to produce a spreadsheet with various amounts of data on. One of the bits of data will be appointment dates. Can Excel, (or any other database) update outlook appointments with either little on no user intervention? If so, how? ...

Outlook 2000 send/receive
I am having troubles trying to get Outlook 2000 to automaticly send/receive e-mails...any help? I am not sure if it is what you are looking for but here goes: Under the Tools menu, click Options. In the dialog box that opens next click on Mail Delivery tab, then make sure there is a check in the box beside "send messages immediately when connected." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:14fdf01c41cac$9696e2c0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I am having troubles trying to get Outlook 2000 to > automaticly send/receive e-mails...any help? ...

Had to disable 'outlookaddin.dll' to access outlook
I'm using Outlook 2003(11.6568,6568) SP2 w/XP. I got a message "Outlook experienced a serious problem the last time the ad-in 'outlookin' was opened. Would you like to disable this add-in?" It has to be disabled to access Outlook. It then explains how to enable 'Outlookaddin(outlookaddin.dll).I've left it disabled and enabled it with the same result. I can receive email but cannot send it Outlook will not start unless I disable outlookadd.dll. Anyone have a solution? I think that it may be related to the Dell Media Direct. Any help is much appreciated. ...

- About Outlook's archiving capabilities...
I am trying to take a load off Outlook (Office XP) by archiving old items, but I'm new to the process. Every folder I archive seems to generate its own "Archive" folder in the Folder List... so essentially, all it did was move the old contents from one folder to another. My question is, am I really helping Outlook at all by doing this? The whole point of archiving was to give it fewer messages to load at bootup. But it's still loading them in the Archive Folders, isn't it? What happens if I delete the Archive Folders? Am I helping Outlook's performance at all? And ...

can i add my web page in microsoft outlook 2003
adding a web page or a win forms to the outlook mail so that when i send a mail to a person he should be able to enter the data in the controls on the mail form and should have the ability to save the data directly from the mail, instead of opening the web or a windows application and update the data. Is it possible to achieve what is mentioned above ...

Yet another duplicate record dilemma
I have a table with records where one field are duplicates. I'm able to query to find duplicates and delete them, however what I need to do is find the duplicates, produce a total from another field, delete the duplicates and update the record field with the new total. Use the Find duplicates wizard, the build an Update query and either add to the field: Update MyTable Inner Join Querty1.ID On MyTable.ID Set MyField = MyField + Query1.MyField or just update it: Update MyTable Inner Join Querty1.ID On MyTable.ID Set MyField = Query1.MyField Then delete the duplicate data. -- Ar...

An Outlook 2003 Problem

Sorting Attendee Lists in Outlook 2003
Is there any way to sort attendees by either name or attendee status in Outlook 2003? I don't know how Microsoft could be so oblivious to the need for this feature. You can't even click on the column headers to sort, let alone print out a list of people sorted by accept and decline. Microsoft's online help system recommends Alt + PrntScreen???? How archaic is that? Is there anyone out there that can help me??? Thanks! ...

outlook can't receive exe files

Accessing MIcrosoft Outlook
Yesterday, when I tried to access Outlook in my home pC, I received the following message: Cannot open MIcrosoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened. The file C:|Users \jillandgordon\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst is not a personal folders file. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can fix this? Masny thanks, Gordon in TX Try this first http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287497/ "Gordon McDougall" <braidwoodboy@gmail.com> wrote in message news:d0e17ac8-0215-431c-971f-bd862b58a245@y17g2000yqd....

Outlook color scheme
I've seen several different installs of Outlook 2003. Some have an orange interface, some blue, some grey. I'm not talking about Outlook web acess, but the local installed copy. Can anyone explain this? I would like to figure out how to change the interface color scheme. -Brian It uses Windows color schemes. Change those from Display Properties (Control Panel or right click you desktop). --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will ...

SharePoint (WSS) 2007 / Outlook 2007 - Alert
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_00AD_01C70E47.83B45950 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable We have setup a SharePoint Server (WSS) 2007 and are using the alerting = functionality. After we changes stuff on WSS, an alert message is generated and sent to = an email account. This e-mail account is hosted on an Exchange 2003 server. When using Outlook 2007 to open the e-mail, we get: Cannot open this item. Wenn using OWA the e-mail can be opene fine. Does somehow have an explanation for th...

Setting up my work outlook account at home
I do not know how to set-up my outlook at home to check and receive email at home. This is really a question for your Mail Administrator. This depends on what ISP is used for work or if you use the Exchange Server. Then there may be a domain access issue. -- Nikki Peterson [MVP - Outlook] "Liz" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:049a01c39db2$d8df2cb0$a501280a@phx.gbl... I do not know how to set-up my outlook at home to check and receive email at home. ...

problem in configuring microsoft outlook 2003 via squid proxy serv
sir, when i configure Microsoft outlook 2003 with internet explorer proxy settings, it is not configured.can u tell me any option through which i can bypass the proxy settings into the Microsoft outlook or there is any option into the internet explorer through which i can change the proxy settings into the Microsoft outlook 2003. my contact no. is : 09896111271 thanks ...

Remote Access or shared LAN access of Outlook without using Exchange Server ????
Currently I am accessing my desktop computer's installation of Outlook through Remote Desktop, from my laptop. I can do this while on the same LAN or remotely, through the internet. This however is not really ideal, as I run my desktop at QXGA resolution and my laptop has only a XGA screen. This means that when I get back home, all the windows on my desktop are all messed up and really small. What I would really like to do is be able to access remotely, in either one of the ways you can do using Exchange Server. I have a separate server machine (running Windows Server 2003 Stand...

Adding an item to a popup menu in outlook's inbox using VBA
Hello all, On rightclicking on the mailitems in the outlook's inbox we can see a popup menu.i want to add a menu item to that popup menu using outlook VBA. Please do help me in this regard. Thanking you regards, Revathy.v ...

Messenger emoticons
I have changed laptops and I did grab the old laptops custom emoticons folder (all in dt2 and id2 file endings.) But when i copy everything in the folder and add it to my new laptops custom emoticons folder... they get added (i.e. show up in the folder) but the images/gifs or names dont show up on the actual msn... *what gives*? Do I have to change the dt2 endings to gif or jpeg and go to "create" in msn for each of them to add them in? (I tried with one and it worked) Only problem is i have alot, like 203 dt2 files so changing the ending to .gif and adding each singu...

Backing Up Outlook #5
How do I backup copies of all mye-mail folders? Hod do I backup all my contacts within the address book? Hello, You can do a total backup of your Outlook PST file using a back up program in Outlook. To download the ad in go to http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx? FamilyId=8B081F3A-B7D0-4B16-B8AF- 5A6322F4FD01&displaylang=en If you have trouble email me at outlook@theblueedge.net Chris >-----Original Message----- >How do I backup copies of all mye-mail folders? Hod do I >backup all my contacts within the address book? >. > "Damon" <damo...