Address list problems after migration

Hi,

I found a recurring problem with my address list each time I migrate my
Outlook PST files to a newly-installed PC. Before each reinstall, I will use
the "Save My Settings Wizard" to export my settings and then import my
mails, calendar and contacts using the Import function in Outlook. After
each time this is done, I am able to access my contacts in the Contacts
section. But each time I create a new mail and attempt to choose a contact
in the "Select Names" window, I get an error that says :

"The address list could not be displayed. The Contacts folder associated
with this address list could not be opened; it may have been moved or
deleted, or you do not have permissions. For information on how to remove
this folder from the Outlook Address Book, see Microsoft Office Outlook
help."

After that, it would show an empty list. In the drop-down selection box for
"Show Names from the:", there will be more than one "Contacts" listing, one
additional one for each time I perform the reinstall. If I pick the last
item on the selection box, I will get my contacts but it is getting to be
more of an irritation each time.

Would appreciate any help, thanks!
Wong

1.  Never Import a native Outlook file - use File->Open. Importing is for
non-native Outlook formats like .csv or .txt files that need to be
translated.

2.  What version of Outlook are you using?  If Outlook 2002/2003, go to
Tools->email accounts->view or change directories...  Is the Outlook Address
Book Service listed?  If not, back up one step and install it.

3.  If the OAB service is installed, return to your contacts folder, right
click, select properties, then advanced. Ensure it is marked to be used as
an Outlook Address Book.

4.  If you have more than one OAB showing in the dropdown for "select names
from", go back to step 2 and remove one of the services.

--�
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, CS Wong asked:

| Hi,
|
| I found a recurring problem with my address list each time I migrate
| my Outlook PST files to a newly-installed PC. Before each reinstall,
| I will use the "Save My Settings Wizard" to export my settings and
| then import my mails, calendar and contacts using the Import function
| in Outlook. After each time this is done, I am able to access my
| contacts in the Contacts section. But each time I create a new mail
| and attempt to choose a contact in the "Select Names" window, I get
| an error that says :
|
| "The address list could not be displayed. The Contacts folder
| associated with this address list could not be opened; it may have
| been moved or deleted, or you do not have permissions. For
| information on how to remove this folder from the Outlook Address
| Book, see Microsoft Office Outlook help."
|
| After that, it would show an empty list. In the drop-down selection
| box for "Show Names from the:", there will be more than one
| "Contacts" listing, one additional one for each time I perform the
| reinstall. If I pick the last item on the selection box, I will get
| my contacts but it is getting to be more of an irritation each time.
|
| Would appreciate any help, thanks!
| Wong

0
MillyS9060 (3207)
7/7/2004 11:30:32 PM
found the solution here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319901&Product=out2003

"CS Wong" <lilNOwongSPAM50@microsoftPLS.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I found a recurring problem with my address list each time I migrate my
> Outlook PST files to a newly-installed PC. Before each reinstall, I will
use
> the "Save My Settings Wizard" to export my settings and then import my
> mails, calendar and contacts using the Import function in Outlook. After
> each time this is done, I am able to access my contacts in the Contacts
> section. But each time I create a new mail and attempt to choose a contact
> in the "Select Names" window, I get an error that says :
>
> "The address list could not be displayed. The Contacts folder associated
> with this address list could not be opened; it may have been moved or
> deleted, or you do not have permissions. For information on how to remove
> this folder from the Outlook Address Book, see Microsoft Office Outlook
> help."
>
> After that, it would show an empty list. In the drop-down selection box
for
> "Show Names from the:", there will be more than one "Contacts" listing,
one
> additional one for each time I perform the reinstall. If I pick the last
> item on the selection box, I will get my contacts but it is getting to be
> more of an irritation each time.
>
> Would appreciate any help, thanks!
> Wong

Good to know the same instructions are in the Microsoft KB Library.

--�
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, CS Wong asked:

| found the solution here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319901&Product=out2003

| "CS Wong" <lilNOwongSPAM50@microsoftPLS.com> wrote in message
|| Hi,
|| I found a recurring problem with my address list each time I migrate
|| my Outlook PST files to a newly-installed PC. Before each reinstall,
|| I will use the "Save My Settings Wizard" to export my settings and
|| then import my mails, calendar and contacts using the Import
|| function in Outlook. After each time this is done, I am able to
|| access my contacts in the Contacts section. But each time I create a
|| new mail and attempt to choose a contact in the "Select Names"
|| window, I get an error that says :
|| "The address list could not be displayed. The Contacts folder
|| associated with this address list could not be opened; it may have
|| been moved or deleted, or you do not have permissions. For
|| information on how to remove this folder from the Outlook Address
|| Book, see Microsoft Office Outlook help."
|| After that, it would show an empty list. In the drop-down selection
|| box
| for
|| "Show Names from the:", there will be more than one "Contacts"
|| listing,
| one
|| additional one for each time I perform the reinstall. If I pick the
|| last item on the selection box, I will get my contacts but it is
|| getting to be more of an irritation each time.
|| Would appreciate any help, thanks!
|| Wong

0
MillyS9060 (3207)

Here is fix for Windows file problems

Drop-down list #5

ignore list
I have importet some contact data into mscrm, When I want to add these contacts to a marketing list (add marketing list members / use advanced find/ add all selected members), the adding stops with an error. I have done a trace during the error (occurs everytime I want to add these contacts) which shows me the following error: [2009-08-24 11:15:36.778] Process:OUTLOOK |Thread:5884 |Category: Unmanaged.Platform |User: PlatformUser |Level: Error | Found crmId {319C876A-CC39-DC11-9F61-0030485C3892} in ignore list. Update notification will be ignored Function: CItemHelper<struct Outlook::_Co...

Problem with CFTPConnection

Excel 97 Win XP calc problem?

Outlook 2007 addresses
How can I find the list of addresses I have sent emails to? When you start a new email you can put a letter in the To line and list will come up. Where is that list? How can I print it out? Thanks Matt that is the autocomplete cache. You would need a utility to print it out. http://www.outlook-tips.net/archives/2004/20040621.htm http://www.slipstick.com/problems/nicknamecache.asp -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Out...

Data migration - Adventure Works

OL2002 Problem : HELP, SOS, MAYDAY

request to solve my problem #5

Refreshing list boxes
Hi, I have created a database so that mulpile users can add detailss to the table - tblDetails from the form frmDetails or amend details in form frmAmend. I have a list box on the main page frmMain which has a list box lstSearch which shows all the records in the database. When users add new record to the database other users cannot see the added records unless the move to another section in the datbase and the return to the main page thus refreshing the list box. Can anyone tell me if there is a way I can put a "Refresh" button on the main page that updated the list box if the use...

Migrating Exchange servers
We are in the process of migrating to a new exchange server. The issue we are having is transfering the user's outlook (xp, 2k) address book/contact list to the new server without manually having to log into everyone's computer and pointing their address books to the new server. Is there a way to do this authomatically server-side? You're moving the mailboxes, right? The user's "address book" is the Contacts folder in the mailbox. So, there's nothing extra to move. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for ...

Excel List Sorting Problem (Descending)

IMAP address on exchange sever #2

Listing recurring appointments
I have tried in both Outlook 2002 and 2003 to print a list for my cleaning service that shows the dates in a list. The appointment is set up as a recurring every 4 week. I cannot find a way to list it outside of reading the dates, and writing them on a separate report. Thank you. Can you create a view that shows only those appointments? One way would be to assign a category to them, and then create a new view that filters based on the category field. Then you ought to be able to print just those items, in a table view. Tony Linguini wrote: > I have tried in both Outlook 2002 and 2003 to...