Address Book Lookups

When I click on To... when sending an email I get multiple listings of a
contact.  I looked the list up in Address Book and found that the multiple
listings were due to contacts that had an SMTP entry and a FAX entry.  I can
delete the entry from the FAX type to eliminate the redundancy, but I want
to know:

1) Where are those FAX entries coming from?
2) Instead of deleting them, can I set it up to see ONLY the SMTP type
listings in my "To... Lookup"  ?

Thanks for the help,

James Baker

Outlook considers fax numbers to be valid electronic addresses, since there
are many client- and server-based components that can use such addresses.

One method to hide fax numbers from the address book is to prefix the fax
number with one or more letters (maybe B for business fax, H for home, O for
other). If the fax number begins with a letter, Outlook won't show it in the
address book. This definitely works in Outlook 2000 and 2002.

There are a couple of utilities that can help you hide fax numbers from the
address book. See http://www.rsoutlook.com/us/rshifa.htm and
http://www.sperrysoftware.com/Outlook_Solutions.htm (Hide Fax Numbers).

Another way to avoid avoid having fax numbers appear in the address book is
simply not to enter data in the fax fields. Put fax numbers in some other
(non-phone) fields.
--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of

"James Baker" <james.baker@opesnet.com> wrote in message
> When I click on To... when sending an email I get multiple listings of a
> contact.  I looked the list up in Address Book and found that the multiple
> listings were due to contacts that had an SMTP entry and a FAX entry.  I
can
> delete the entry from the FAX type to eliminate the redundancy, but I want
> to know:
>
> 1) Where are those FAX entries coming from?
> 2) Instead of deleting them, can I set it up to see ONLY the SMTP type
> listings in my "To... Lookup"  ?
>
> Thanks for the help,
>
> James Baker

0
suemvp (4038)
7/26/2004 8:32:45 PM
Thanks :)

"Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]" <suemvp@outlookcode.com> wrote in message
> Outlook considers fax numbers to be valid electronic addresses, since
there
> are many client- and server-based components that can use such addresses.
>
> One method to hide fax numbers from the address book is to prefix the fax
> number with one or more letters (maybe B for business fax, H for home, O
for
> other). If the fax number begins with a letter, Outlook won't show it in
the
> address book. This definitely works in Outlook 2000 and 2002.
>
> There are a couple of utilities that can help you hide fax numbers from
the
> address book. See http://www.rsoutlook.com/us/rshifa.htm and
> http://www.sperrysoftware.com/Outlook_Solutions.htm (Hide Fax Numbers).
>
> Another way to avoid avoid having fax numbers appear in the address book
is
> simply not to enter data in the fax fields. Put fax numbers in some other
> (non-phone) fields.
> --
> Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
> Author of
>      Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for
>      Administrators, Power Users, and Developers
>      http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx
>

> "James Baker" <james.baker@opesnet.com> wrote in message
> > When I click on To... when sending an email I get multiple listings of a
> > contact.  I looked the list up in Address Book and found that the
multiple
> > listings were due to contacts that had an SMTP entry and a FAX entry.  I
> can
> > delete the entry from the FAX type to eliminate the redundancy, but I
want
> > to know:
> >
> > 1) Where are those FAX entries coming from?
> > 2) Instead of deleting them, can I set it up to see ONLY the SMTP type
> > listings in my "To... Lookup"  ?
> >
> > Thanks for the help,
> >
> > James Baker

Calculate the average using the Lookup function or similar
Hi! I'm using the lookup function to find a specific share price for a certain date and that works great. However, I would now like to be able to calculate the average for a certain period, for example a quarter. This would be approx 65 observations starting at a defined date and ending at another defined date - everything in columns. My question is now wheter I can qombine the lookup and average function in order to achieve this? ..or any other way to do this? I have tried with =AVERAGE((LOOKUP(C4,'share price'!$B$3:$B$1007,'share price'!$C$3:$C$1007)),(LOOKUP(E4,...

Statement Address Fields
How can I increase the distance between the store address and the customer address by .75 inches? I need this space in order for the addresses to show up in the window envelope. -- Mike R You have to edit ..\Microsoft Retail Management System\Store Operations\Receipt Templates\Statement.XML You'd have to make quite a few changes to rearrange the addresses. I'd suggest you contact your reseller for help with this. You may want to check the Reports Library on Customer Source as well - I don't remember seeing any altered Statement templates, but there may be one. If you w...

Address book not up to date
Hello, As we are updating Active Directory and Exchange, our users have several more days their address book not up to date. I rebuild the Recipient Update Service but nothing changes. Bonjour, Alors que nous faisons des mise � jour dans Active Directory et Exchange, nos utilisateurs se retrouvent plusieurs jours avec leur carnet d'adresse pas actualis�. Je reconstruit la mise � jour des destinataires, mais rien ne change. Is there another place where I can set it ?? Thank you in advance, Cyril It happens when you create a new user and you cannot find his name in the "global ...

Weird email addresses
I have some trouble with our emailingsystem. Some messages are not delivered and some messages take a very long time to reach its destination. We use outlook 2000 and and Exchange server 2000 that was included in Small Business Server 2000. When I send a TO or CC to a person within the same domain it sometimes does not reach him. And if it does and you open the message, right click on his name and then choose email addresses the following is displayed. X400: c=us;a= ;p=[our company];o=Exchange; s=[my lastname];= Linus; SMTP: linus@ourcompany.com smtp: linus@yahoo.com WHAT DO THEY MEAN YAH...

hide email address
i want to hide email addresses that i send to a number of people so they don't get the other people email addies i know its a simple thing to do but i don't know it Use the BCC field. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "duckie" <keasty@tsn.cc> wrote in message news:f9790a6d-8905-48e0-a3e1-9b4435f02067@s12g2000prg.googlegroups.com... >i want to hide email addresses that i send to a number of people so > they don't get the other people email addies i know its a simple thing > to do but i don't know it When I send out a dist list every e-mail account ...

User's IP address
hi, for monitoring certain logons, I need to know the IP address (or machine name) from which these users logon to my exchange 2003 server to check their mails. Logons and logoffs are currently being logged. But after going thru the exchange server's security event logs, I find that the client IP address is not displayed when the user's "logon process" is "Ntlmssp" or "advapi". The client's IP address is displayed only when the logon process is "kerberos". I have to say I am uncertain as to what each of these processes mean. Is there...

Urgent: Exchange 2003 Postmaster SMTP Address
Hi, I need to have a different SMTP address in the postmaster account so people dont ask wich domain is that on the postmaster account when they receive non-delivery reports. I changed the domain as it says in the article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313832 But nothing happens, the SMTP address still the same! What do i need to do or check? Any ideas? Thanks in advance, Clemente Portugal NDRs are sent from postmaster@localdomain - which happens to be your AD domain. Fairly certain this can't be changed in Exchange Server 2003/2000. Changing th...

Lookup Formula Question
I'm pretty new to excel and I'm wondering if anyone can help me. I want to create a formula so that if A1=1, then F2:F5 are entered into C2:C5, or if A1=2, then G2:G5 are entered into C2:C5, etc. for more values forA1. Ex: A B C D E F G 1 2 5 6 3 10 7 4 15 8 5 ...

Lookup Tables: Cascading Updates... Strategy Question
Until now, I have been heavily biased towards lookup tables where every row has an "ID" and a "Name". e.g. For tlkpDealer: DealerID DealerName ------------------- 1 Goldman Sachs 2 Lehman ------------------- Then in, for instance, tblSecurity I would store DealerID and look up the name as needed. Just seemed cleaner: storing a number of determinate length, indexing on same instead of text fields, and so-forth. But now I've begun doing a quick-and-dirty conversion for a user from a rat's nest of spreadsheets to an MS Access back end. The path...

Mailto:address link causes error
Whenever I click on a MAILTO:address link on a web page, I now receive the error: Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Can't create the item. I'm using a fully-patched Outook 2003 from Office 2003. Anyone know why this error is produced, or how to fix it? Thanks for your help. Tim Is Outlook open? Is it your default email client? Does running Detect and Repair fix the error? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious ...

lookup > 0
How would I do a lookup in a row with 4 values: 0 4.8 3.2 0 to find the first value that is greater than 0? The answer should be 4.8 but what would the formula look like? Thanks, Harold Hi! Try this: Entered as an array using the key combo of CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER: =INDEX(A4:D4,MATCH(TRUE,A4:D4>0,0)) A little more robust: =INDEX(A4:D4,MATCH(1,(ISNUMBER(A4:D4))*(A4:D4>0),0)) Biff "Harold Good" <hcgood@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OB48IOj5FHA.3388@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > How would I do a lookup in a row with 4 values: > 0 4.8 3.2 ...

email address AutoCompleate on Win2k
Can any one help me getting the autocompleate for email address for outlook(office2000) on windows2k Thanks in advance Sai Autocomplete isn't available on Outlook 200. -- Patricia Cardoza Outlook MVP Author - Special Edition Using Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 Lead Author - Access 2003 VBA Programmer's Reference Author - Absolute Beginner's Guide to Microsoft OneNote 2003 http://blogs.officezealot.com/cardoza "Sai" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2cc601c486ca$7b855d30$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Can any one help me getting the autocom...

ldap address book urgent
Dear all We have 2 independence sbs servers(2k/ 2003) in 2 diff sites from china to hk (domain indepdence) I use ldap address book to share client who click the ldap list addr bk from outlook 2k/xp/2003. it want 10-30 seconds and seriously, timeout occured. I use win2003 with exchanged 2k in this time and upgrade exchange 2003 Which settings should speedup ldap Addr Bk sharing from windows/exchange 2k/ ex2003 Should any other additional tools to sync client e.g dencom (but fail to connect) ? Thx a lot Mike HK ...

How do I setup my Outlook to send from another email address or alias?
How do I setup my Outlook to send from another email address or alias? -- Message posted via http://www.officekb.com "Shawn76 via OfficeKB.com" <u57604@uwe> wrote in message news:a609beedbc638@uwe... > How do I setup my Outlook to send from another email address or alias? Add an account using that address to Outlook. Since you decided not to state your Outlook version, you can figure out how. Most likely it will be under Tools>E-mail Accounts or Tools>Account Settings. -- Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] ...

New email address
I need to add a new email address to the Global address book, but this person in not part of my network/domain. I do not want to create a user account for this person just to get his name on my users Global address book. Should I be placing him in the Contacts address book or can I just add him to the Global address list without creating an account for him Exhange 2000 / win2k server O Tx for the Help Follow Steps 1-7 http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF015.html -- John Oliver, Jr. MCSE, MCT, CCNA, Exchange MVP Microsoft Certified Partner "BlippZ" <anonymous@discussions.micr...

Search Using Address Bar Does Not Work
Hi, I'm using IE8 and running Windows XP, SP3. I used to be able to type a word or phrase into the address bar and it would go to a google search and give suggestions. Now when I type something in it just says, "Internet Explorer cannot display page." Any ideas on what's wrong and how to fix? Thanks! Why would you search from the Address Bar instead of from the Search Box? "Angel Fire" <AngelFire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EA8D68E5-B72E-4191-ABCB-F1341078EF14@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > I'm using I...

learning book/cd
Hia Whats a good book to learn Excel from, like to have a cd that have you work out problems also. Thanks Bobby Debra Dalgleish has a big list of books at: http://www.contextures.com/xlbooks.html John Walkenbach's books get nice reviews for Formulas and VBA. John Green (and others) book (VBA)is nice, too. See if you can find them in your local bookstore and you can choose what one you like best. And if you check David McRitchie's site, you'll see a page with a bunch of links: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/ex...

Email address by unix IDs from LDAP
Outlook finds names by first and last name from LDAP directory, but not ny unix IDs. Any Suggestions? Thanks. .. ...

adress available but not shown in address book
Usually, I send emails to people that are not saved in my contacts. However, when composing new email later and when I press the first letter in the To field I will see a list of contacts that start with this letter including the one I did not save to contacts. Now, the list of unsaved email addresses is getting big. Is there any way that I can retreive them all at once and save them to my contacts? Not natively, unless you're using Outlook 2010. Current versions require 3rd party software. http://www.nk2.info/ http://www.ingressor.com/helpdesk_exchange.htm -- Russ Valen...

Default email address for all users
Hi, Does anybody know of a way to export a list of all users within active directory and their default email address? When I say default email I mean their outbound or primary address (not sure of the correct terminology) We have multiple addresses against each recipient. eg matt@domain1.com or mattw@domain2.co.uk etc etc I have tried running a search from AD Users & Computers but I cannot export the results. Not sure what else to try other than an LDAP query? Can anybody help? Thanks Matt On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 11:28:40 +0100, "MJW" <mjw@nospam.postalias> wrote: ...

address book won't open for an email
When I'm writing an email and click on "To" I get a message that says "Address book can't be opened" I click on OK and the "Select Names" dialog box comes up. If I click on the arrow after "Show Names from the:", there are a bunch of choices all titled "Contacts". If I click on the last one my address book comes up. All the others nothing. Any idea why this is happening? And what to do to fix it? Thanks for any help, Huck Huck Rorick <huckrorick@groundwork.org> wrote: > When I'm writing an email and click ...

Investors Pre Booking For Next Investment Conference!
After just returning from out last Investment Conference. We have had hundreds of people pre booking for our next investment conference. We had access directly to multi Billionaire Marc Bruner (Oil & Gas). We announced his newest private placements that will not hit the market for another 8 months. If you do not know Marc's history here is a snapshot. - 14 companies - Oil & Gas Exploration - Generated 13 Billion dollars for investors in the past 10 years. - Last 2 companies went from .25 to $21.00: 18 months & .50 to $52.00 in 4 years. After a 2:1 stock split ($104.00) Woul...

Unsubscribe from a different e-mail address ?
Hello people, To be able to hande unsubscription from different e-mail addresses than the one the initial e-mail went to (and therefor cannot be handeled succesfully), I want to add an "unsusubscribe <original e-mail address>" link in the outgoing mail. I tried to define this as a link: "mailto:administrator@mydomain.com?subject=unsubscribe {!Contact : E-mail;}" But this does not work - it gives me the text "unsubscribe {!Contact : E-mail;}" when I click the link in the mail. Suggestions anybody ? Many thanks in advance ! Mav. I'm by no mean...

importing outlook 2000 addresses to outlook 2003

Address Book Order?
I use Outlook 2010 at work. When I send an e-mail, I click on the 'TO:" button. That opens the Address Book. I'd like the addresses to be listed Last Name First, then First Name Last, (Smith, John). They're all listed forward, (John Smith). I can't seem to find the right box to check or un-check. Now, while I have your attention, another question: I use Outlook 2007 at home. The adress book displays names Last, First, BUT-- When I send e-mail, I can enter the first letter or two of the recipient's name on the TO line, and it displays recent recipients. Again...