Address book #62

------=_NextPart_000_004E_01C592E2.DDBA3780

Hi

Can I set my Outlook address book as default so if I use Outlook Express =
and the contact is added via OE, it will just update one address being =
the address book in Outlook itself.  At the moment I have 2 address =
books, being WAB and PST, and I would like to manage just one address =
book.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks
Julia
------=_NextPart_000_004E_01C592E2.DDBA3780

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hi</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Can I set my Outlook address book as =
default so if=20
I use Outlook Express and the contact is added via OE, it will just =
update one=20
address being the address book in Outlook itself.&nbsp; At the moment I =
have 2=20
address books, being WAB and PST, and I would like to manage just one =
address=20
book.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I look forward to hearing from =
you.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Julia</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_004E_01C592E2.DDBA3780--

0
NoReply9659 (237)

Under OL98 & OL2000 you could have OE & Outlook share an address book
(Outlook's contacts) but that feature isn't in an later versions

"Julia" <noreply@mail.com> wrote in message
Hi

Can I set my Outlook address book as default so if I use Outlook Express and
the contact is added via OE, it will just update one address being the
address book in Outlook itself.  At the moment I have 2 address books, being
WAB and PST, and I would like to manage just one address book.

I look forward to hearing from you.

0
vince8328 (2733)
7/27/2005 6:53:26 PM
Oh dear, I thought I had shared my address book in the past but now I'm
using Outlook 2002 and I was wondering what was going on.

I'm stuck now and not sure what to do next.  So please can you confirm, from
what you've said,  I will not be able to 'merge' the address books and use
Outlook's address book?  I really like using Outlook because there are more
fields in the Contact file and when this is viewed in OE, you cannot see all
the fields.  The problem is I use OE, to send emails and then the Contact is
stored into the WAB and not to my PST file..... Is there a way of overcoming
the problem at all?

Thanks again for your reply.

Julia

"Vince Averello [MVP-Outlook]" <vince@omegageek.com> wrote in message
> Under OL98 & OL2000 you could have OE & Outlook share an address book
> (Outlook's contacts) but that feature isn't in an later versions
>
> "Julia" <noreply@mail.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Can I set my Outlook address book as default so if I use Outlook Express
> and the contact is added via OE, it will just update one address being the
> address book in Outlook itself.  At the moment I have 2 address books,
> being WAB and PST, and I would like to manage just one address book.
>
> I look forward to hearing from you.

0
NoReply9659 (237)
7/27/2005 7:16:22 PM
upgrade back to the earlier version you used?

> Oh dear, I thought I had shared my address book in the past but now I'm
> using Outlook 2002 and I was wondering what was going on.
>
> I'm stuck now and not sure what to do next.  So please can you confirm,
> from what you've said,  I will not be able to 'merge' the address books
> and use Outlook's address book?  I really like using Outlook because there
> are more fields in the Contact file and when this is viewed in OE, you
> cannot see all the fields.  The problem is I use OE, to send emails and
> then the Contact is stored into the WAB and not to my PST file..... Is
> there a way of overcoming the problem at all?
>
> Thanks again for your reply.
>
> Julia
>

> "Vince Averello [MVP-Outlook]" <vince@omegageek.com> wrote in message
>> Under OL98 & OL2000 you could have OE & Outlook share an address book
>> (Outlook's contacts) but that feature isn't in an later versions
>>
>> "Julia" <noreply@mail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> Can I set my Outlook address book as default so if I use Outlook Express
>> and the contact is added via OE, it will just update one address being
>> the address book in Outlook itself.  At the moment I have 2 address
>> books, being WAB and PST, and I would like to manage just one address
>> book.
>>
>> I look forward to hearing from you.

0
alan8232 (157)
7/27/2005 8:23:15 PM
Julia <noreply@mail.com> wrote:

> Oh dear, I thought I had shared my address book in the past but now
> I'm using Outlook 2002 and I was wondering what was going on.
>
> I'm stuck now and not sure what to do next.

There's a registry hack that may allow it.  With both Outlook and Outlook
Express closed, click Start>Run.  Enter "regedit" in the OPen field and
click OK.  Locate the key
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\WAB\WAB4.  Click Edit>New>DWORD Value.
Enter "UseOutlook" as the new key name and press Enter.  Double-click
UseOutlook and enter 1 as the Value data.  Click OK and exit regedit.  Start
Outlook Express and its address book should reference your Contacts folder.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16051)
7/27/2005 8:52:43 PM
How would I upgrade back to an earlier verions of Outlook?  I've not done
that before and didn't think it was possible.  Would that mean I have use
the full earlier version of M Office.

Do you know why share contacts is no longer available?

Thanks again for your help and comments.
Regards

"Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email> wrote in message
> upgrade back to the earlier version you used?
>

> "Julia" <noreply@mail.com> wrote in message
>> Oh dear, I thought I had shared my address book in the past but now I'm
>> using Outlook 2002 and I was wondering what was going on.
>>
>> I'm stuck now and not sure what to do next.  So please can you confirm,
>> from what you've said,  I will not be able to 'merge' the address books
>> and use Outlook's address book?  I really like using Outlook because
>> there are more fields in the Contact file and when this is viewed in OE,
>> you cannot see all the fields.  The problem is I use OE, to send emails
>> and then the Contact is stored into the WAB and not to my PST file.....
>> Is there a way of overcoming the problem at all?
>>
>> Thanks again for your reply.
>>
>> Julia
>>

>> "Vince Averello [MVP-Outlook]" <vince@omegageek.com> wrote in message
>>> Under OL98 & OL2000 you could have OE & Outlook share an address book
>>> (Outlook's contacts) but that feature isn't in an later versions
>>>
>>> "Julia" <noreply@mail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Can I set my Outlook address book as default so if I use Outlook Express
>>> and the contact is added via OE, it will just update one address being
>>> the address book in Outlook itself.  At the moment I have 2 address
>>> books, being WAB and PST, and I would like to manage just one address
>>> book.
>>>
>>> I look forward to hearing from you.

0
NoReply9659 (237)
7/27/2005 10:07:20 PM
Indeed, that is terrible advice. Ignore it.
Use the workaround Brian posted.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
> How would I upgrade back to an earlier verions of Outlook?  I've not done
> that before and didn't think it was possible.  Would that mean I have use
> the full earlier version of M Office.
>
> Do you know why share contacts is no longer available?
>
> Thanks again for your help and comments.
> Regards
>

> "Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email> wrote in message
>> upgrade back to the earlier version you used?
>>

>> "Julia" <noreply@mail.com> wrote in message
>>> Oh dear, I thought I had shared my address book in the past but now I'm
>>> using Outlook 2002 and I was wondering what was going on.
>>>
>>> I'm stuck now and not sure what to do next.  So please can you confirm,
>>> from what you've said,  I will not be able to 'merge' the address books
>>> and use Outlook's address book?  I really like using Outlook because
>>> there are more fields in the Contact file and when this is viewed in OE,
>>> you cannot see all the fields.  The problem is I use OE, to send emails
>>> and then the Contact is stored into the WAB and not to my PST file.....
>>> Is there a way of overcoming the problem at all?
>>>
>>> Thanks again for your reply.
>>>
>>> Julia
>>>

>>> "Vince Averello [MVP-Outlook]" <vince@omegageek.com> wrote in message

0
russval1 (2100)
7/27/2005 10:20:36 PM
It is only given as an option available to you, ignore Russ Valentine who
has not given you any real advice.

You would need to backup your data files then uninstall your current
version. Install the earlier version and then import your data. The registry
hack is worth trying but back your data up first, and if you have XP make
sure you create a restore point.

"Julia" <noreply@mail.com> wrote in message
> How would I upgrade back to an earlier verions of Outlook?  I've not done
> that before and didn't think it was possible.  Would that mean I have use
> the full earlier version of M Office.
>
> Do you know why share contacts is no longer available?
>
> Thanks again for your help and comments.
> Regards
>

> "Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email> wrote in message
>> upgrade back to the earlier version you used?
>>

>> "Julia" <noreply@mail.com> wrote in message
>>> Oh dear, I thought I had shared my address book in the past but now I'm
>>> using Outlook 2002 and I was wondering what was going on.
>>>
>>> I'm stuck now and not sure what to do next.  So please can you confirm,
>>> from what you've said,  I will not be able to 'merge' the address books
>>> and use Outlook's address book?  I really like using Outlook because
>>> there are more fields in the Contact file and when this is viewed in OE,
>>> you cannot see all the fields.  The problem is I use OE, to send emails
>>> and then the Contact is stored into the WAB and not to my PST file.....
>>> Is there a way of overcoming the problem at all?
>>>
>>> Thanks again for your reply.
>>>
>>> Julia
>>>

>>> "Vince Averello [MVP-Outlook]" <vince@omegageek.com> wrote in message

0
alan8232 (157)
7/28/2005 12:00:10 AM
There's no reason to import data. Just keep using the same .pst file as =
the default store.=20

--=20
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of
     Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20

> It is only given as an option available to you, ignore Russ Valentine =
who=20
> has not given you any real advice.
>=20
> You would need to backup your data files then uninstall your current=20
> version. Install the earlier version and then import your data. The =
registry=20
> hack is worth trying but back your data up first, and if you have XP =
make=20
> sure you create a restore point.
>=20
> "Julia" <noreply@mail.com> wrote in message=20
>> How would I upgrade back to an earlier verions of Outlook?  I've not =
done=20
>> that before and didn't think it was possible.  Would that mean I have =
use=20
>> the full earlier version of M Office.
>>
>> Do you know why share contacts is no longer available?
>>
>> Thanks again for your help and comments.
>> Regards
>>

>> "Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email> wrote in message=20
>>> upgrade back to the earlier version you used?
>>>

>>> "Julia" <noreply@mail.com> wrote in message=20
I'm=20

>>=20
>=20

0
suemvp (4038)
7/28/2005 12:32:07 AM
Did you want to post the rest of the things she would need to do if she
tried to revert to an earlier version and how to correct the corrupt profile
she would have?
Did you want to tell her what data she would lose by importing her PST file?
Please only post if you can provide accurate information that would not be
harmful.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email> wrote in message
> It is only given as an option available to you, ignore Russ Valentine who
> has not given you any real advice.
>
> You would need to backup your data files then uninstall your current
> version. Install the earlier version and then import your data. The
> registry hack is worth trying but back your data up first, and if you have
> XP make sure you create a restore point.
>
> "Julia" <noreply@mail.com> wrote in message
>> How would I upgrade back to an earlier verions of Outlook?  I've not done
>> that before and didn't think it was possible.  Would that mean I have use
>> the full earlier version of M Office.
>>
>> Do you know why share contacts is no longer available?
>>
>> Thanks again for your help and comments.
>> Regards
>>

>> "Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email> wrote in message
>>> upgrade back to the earlier version you used?
>>>

>>> "Julia" <noreply@mail.com> wrote in message

0
russval1 (2100)
7/28/2005 2:02:43 AM
I am slightly concerned because I did try to move my WAB a while ago via a
registry change and it did not work and I had to restore my XP system to an
earlier date.  But anyway I am willing to give it another try but I would
like to confirm one or two things beforehand with you.

To ensure that it is referencing my Outlook Contacts after the change, will
it confirm that for me if I run Address book and goto Help>About where it
show the location of the file.  Or should I say enter a fictious Contract in
Outlook, knowing it's not in the WAB and then make the registry change and
that would confirm it for me.

Also in the registry under Wab File Name, what happens to that registry
setting?  Can I therefore delete my WAB from that location and ignore that
setting?

Thanks again for your assistance.
Julia

> Julia <noreply@mail.com> wrote:
>
>> Oh dear, I thought I had shared my address book in the past but now
>> I'm using Outlook 2002 and I was wondering what was going on.
>>
>> I'm stuck now and not sure what to do next.
>
> There's a registry hack that may allow it.  With both Outlook and Outlook
> Express closed, click Start>Run.  Enter "regedit" in the OPen field and
> click OK.  Locate the key
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\WAB\WAB4.  Click Edit>New>DWORD
> Value. Enter "UseOutlook" as the new key name and press Enter.
> Double-click UseOutlook and enter 1 as the Value data.  Click OK and exit
> regedit.  Start Outlook Express and its address book should reference your
> Contacts folder.
> --
> Brian Tillman

0
NoReply9659 (237)
7/28/2005 8:56:49 AM
Why not just use Outlook for email?  What advantage do you get from using
OE?

--
Bob Burns
Mill Hall PA

>I am slightly concerned because I did try to move my WAB a while ago via a
>registry change and it did not work and I had to restore my XP system to an
>earlier date.  But anyway I am willing to give it another try but I would
>like to confirm one or two things beforehand with you.
>
> To ensure that it is referencing my Outlook Contacts after the change,
> will it confirm that for me if I run Address book and goto Help>About
> where it show the location of the file.  Or should I say enter a fictious
> Contract in Outlook, knowing it's not in the WAB and then make the
> registry change and that would confirm it for me.
>
> Also in the registry under Wab File Name, what happens to that registry
> setting?  Can I therefore delete my WAB from that location and ignore that
> setting?
>
> Thanks again for your assistance.
> Julia
>

> "Brian Tillman" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Julia <noreply@mail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Oh dear, I thought I had shared my address book in the past but now
>>> I'm using Outlook 2002 and I was wondering what was going on.
>>>
>>> I'm stuck now and not sure what to do next.
>>
>> There's a registry hack that may allow it.  With both Outlook and Outlook
>> Express closed, click Start>Run.  Enter "regedit" in the OPen field and
>> click OK.  Locate the key
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\WAB\WAB4.  Click Edit>New>DWORD
>> Value. Enter "UseOutlook" as the new key name and press Enter.
>> Double-click UseOutlook and enter 1 as the Value data.  Click OK and exit
>> regedit.  Start Outlook Express and its address book should reference
>> your Contacts folder.
>> --
>> Brian Tillman

Julia <noreply@mail.com> wrote:

> I am slightly concerned because I did try to move my WAB a while ago
> via a registry change and it did not work and I had to restore my XP
> system to an earlier date.  But anyway I am willing to give it
> another try but I would like to confirm one or two things beforehand
> with you.

I've tried to share a WAB using the path key in the registry and it simply
resets itself.  It certainly had no effect on the PC itself.  I can't
imagine why you'd have to restore the entire PC.

> To ensure that it is referencing my Outlook Contacts after the
> change, will it confirm that for me if I run Address book and goto
> Help>About where it show the location of the file.

I don't know, but probably not.  I suspect that page simply displays the
registry value
....WAB4\Wab FIle Name.  However, I'll give it a try myself and let you know
before you take the chance.  My WAB and my Contacts folder are VERY
different.

> Also in the registry under Wab File Name, what happens to that
> registry setting?  Can I therefore delete my WAB from that location
> and ignore that setting?

I suspect that nothing happens to that setting, that the Windows Address
Book simply ignores it.  Personally, I'd not delete the file.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16051)
7/28/2005 1:06:51 PM
Brian Tillman <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I don't know, but probably not.  I suspect that page simply displays
> the registry value
> ...WAB4\Wab FIle Name.

I tried it for you.  It works just fine.  I had to stop and restart Outlook
Express to see the change.  The Help>About page says simply:

Address Book
6.00.2900.2527
� Microsoft Corporation.  All Rights Reserved

No WAB locaton information at all.  Openening the Address Book shows
Contacts in the pane on the left and the contact records on the right.

> I suspect that nothing happens to that setting, that the Windows
> Address Book simply ignores it.  Personally, I'd not delete the file.

I was correct.  Nothing happens to that key.  You can still access your OE
address book if you want as well, by simply double-clicking the WAB file.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16051)
7/28/2005 1:49:43 PM
Thanks for trying it out for me first.

I've just added the registry setting as described and the OE is still using
the WAB (it's not using MS Outlook contacts).  When I run WAB, I get exactly
what you get.  To double, check I launched Outlook and the contacts don't
match the address book in OE.

Have I perhaps left something out at all?

Regards
Julia

> Brian Tillman <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> I don't know, but probably not.  I suspect that page simply displays
>> the registry value
>> ...WAB4\Wab FIle Name.
>
> I tried it for you.  It works just fine.  I had to stop and restart
> Outlook Express to see the change.  The Help>About page says simply:
>
> Address Book
> 6.00.2900.2527
> � Microsoft Corporation.  All Rights Reserved
>
> No WAB locaton information at all.  Openening the Address Book shows
> Contacts in the pane on the left and the contact records on the right.
>
>> I suspect that nothing happens to that setting, that the Windows
>> Address Book simply ignores it.  Personally, I'd not delete the file.
>
> I was correct.  Nothing happens to that key.  You can still access your OE
> address book if you want as well, by simply double-clicking the WAB file.
> --
> Brian Tillman

0
NoReply9659 (237)
7/28/2005 6:55:19 PM
I prefer OE because I can download all my emails and newsgroup information
to one place.  The reason why I want to share my address book is so that
when I send emails from OE, they update my WAB as well as Contacts and
therefore I have one contacts list for backup purposes, and I don't have
duplicates or non-synchonised address books.

I like Outlook contacts because you can add detailed information about your
contacts which you cannot view in OE, and it's also much easier to manage.

Regards.

"Bob Burns" <treborburns@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Why not just use Outlook for email?  What advantage do you get from using
> OE?
>
> --
> Bob Burns
> Mill Hall PA
> (email is spamtrap)
>

> "Julia" <noreply@mail.com> wrote in message
>>I am slightly concerned because I did try to move my WAB a while ago via a
>>registry change and it did not work and I had to restore my XP system to
>>an earlier date.  But anyway I am willing to give it another try but I
>>would like to confirm one or two things beforehand with you.
>>
>> To ensure that it is referencing my Outlook Contacts after the change,
>> will it confirm that for me if I run Address book and goto Help>About
>> where it show the location of the file.  Or should I say enter a fictious
>> Contract in Outlook, knowing it's not in the WAB and then make the
>> registry change and that would confirm it for me.
>>
>> Also in the registry under Wab File Name, what happens to that registry
>> setting?  Can I therefore delete my WAB from that location and ignore
>> that setting?
>>
>> Thanks again for your assistance.
>> Julia
>>

>> "Brian Tillman" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> There's a registry hack that may allow it.  With both Outlook and
>>> Outlook Express closed, click Start>Run.  Enter "regedit" in the OPen
>>> field and click OK.  Locate the key
>>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\WAB\WAB4.  Click Edit>New>DWORD
>>> Value. Enter "UseOutlook" as the new key name and press Enter.
>>> Double-click UseOutlook and enter 1 as the Value data.  Click OK and
>>> exit regedit.  Start Outlook Express and its address book should
>>> reference your Contacts folder.
>>> --
>>> Brian Tillman

0
NoReply9659 (237)
7/28/2005 6:59:46 PM
You bothered to post that without giving any information again. Aren't you
helpful? *If* you know anything that would actually help why not post it? Or
is it just bluster? Try being an adult. If you can?

> Did you want to post the rest of the things she would need to do if she
> tried to revert to an earlier version and how to correct the corrupt
> profile she would have?
> Did you want to tell her what data she would lose by importing her PST
> file?
> Please only post if you can provide accurate information that would not be
> harmful.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email> wrote in message
>> It is only given as an option available to you, ignore Russ Valentine who
>> has not given you any real advice.
>>
>> You would need to backup your data files then uninstall your current
>> version. Install the earlier version and then import your data. The
>> registry hack is worth trying but back your data up first, and if you
>> have XP make sure you create a restore point.
>>
>> "Julia" <noreply@mail.com> wrote in message
>>> How would I upgrade back to an earlier verions of Outlook?  I've not
>>> done that before and didn't think it was possible.  Would that mean I
>>> have use the full earlier version of M Office.
>>>
>>> Do you know why share contacts is no longer available?
>>>
>>> Thanks again for your help and comments.
>>> Regards
>>>

>>> "Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email> wrote in message

0
alan8232 (157)
7/28/2005 7:31:55 PM
You misunderstand. I posted all the information that was necessary. She does
not need other information because hopefully she will not try what you
recommended.
The salient points remain:
1. Reverting to an older Outlook version just to share Contacts with the WAB
will create lose far more functionality than it gains. It will also corrupt
the Outlook profile beyond repair. Sharing with the WAB can be achieved with
a simple registry entry, as Brian suggested.
2. Importing a PST is not the correct way to transfer Outlook data. Copying
and reusing the file is.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
> You bothered to post that without giving any information again. Aren't you
> helpful? *If* you know anything that would actually help why not post it?
> Or
> is it just bluster? Try being an adult. If you can?
>

> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Did you want to post the rest of the things she would need to do if she
>> tried to revert to an earlier version and how to correct the corrupt
>> profile she would have?
>> Did you want to tell her what data she would lose by importing her PST
>> file?
>> Please only post if you can provide accurate information that would not
>> be
>> harmful.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email> wrote in message
>>> It is only given as an option available to you, ignore Russ Valentine
>>> who
>>> has not given you any real advice.
>>>
>>> You would need to backup your data files then uninstall your current
>>> version. Install the earlier version and then import your data. The
>>> registry hack is worth trying but back your data up first, and if you
>>> have XP make sure you create a restore point.
>>>
>>> "Julia" <noreply@mail.com> wrote in message

0
russval1 (2100)
7/28/2005 11:28:37 PM
Brian...this is Dennis...you helped me with an Outlook 2003 problem a few
days ago (outlook wouldn't start so created a new profile).  My address book
in previous Outlook version would sort by last name first...Outlook 2003
lists everything by first name first, even though when I open the contacts
folder, it is displayed as last name first.  How can I get my address book to
list last name first to make it easier to find a name when I want to send an
e-mail?

"Brian Tillman" wrote:

> Julia <noreply@mail.com> wrote:
>
> > Oh dear, I thought I had shared my address book in the past but now
> > I'm using Outlook 2002 and I was wondering what was going on.
> >
> > I'm stuck now and not sure what to do next.
>
> There's a registry hack that may allow it.  With both Outlook and Outlook
> Express closed, click Start>Run.  Enter "regedit" in the OPen field and
> click OK.  Locate the key
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\WAB\WAB4.  Click Edit>New>DWORD Value.
> Enter "UseOutlook" as the new key name and press Enter.  Double-click
> UseOutlook and enter 1 as the Value data.  Click OK and exit regedit.  Start
> Outlook Express and its address book should reference your Contacts folder.
> --
> Brian Tillman

0
DCM (8)
10/15/2005 2:25:01 PM
Go to Tools > E-mail accounts > View or change existing directories or
address books > Outlook Address Book > Change. > Set your sort order there
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"DCM" <DCM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Brian...this is Dennis...you helped me with an Outlook 2003 problem a few
> days ago (outlook wouldn't start so created a new profile).  My address
> book
> in previous Outlook version would sort by last name first...Outlook 2003
> lists everything by first name first, even though when I open the contacts
> folder, it is displayed as last name first.  How can I get my address book
> list last name first to make it easier to find a name when I want to send
> an
> e-mail?
>
> "Brian Tillman" wrote:
>
>> Julia <noreply@mail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Oh dear, I thought I had shared my address book in the past but now
>> > I'm using Outlook 2002 and I was wondering what was going on.
>> >
>> > I'm stuck now and not sure what to do next.
>>
>> There's a registry hack that may allow it.  With both Outlook and Outlook
>> Express closed, click Start>Run.  Enter "regedit" in the OPen field and
>> click OK.  Locate the key
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\WAB\WAB4.  Click Edit>New>DWORD
>> Value.
>> Enter "UseOutlook" as the new key name and press Enter.  Double-click
>> UseOutlook and enter 1 as the Value data.  Click OK and exit regedit.
>> Start
>> Outlook Express and its address book should reference your Contacts
>> folder.
>> --
>> Brian Tillman

0
russval1 (2100)
10/15/2005 7:09:26 PM
thanks Russ...done.

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> Go to Tools > E-mail accounts > View or change existing directories or
> address books > Outlook Address Book > Change. > Set your sort order there
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "DCM" <DCM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Brian...this is Dennis...you helped me with an Outlook 2003 problem a few
> > days ago (outlook wouldn't start so created a new profile).  My address
> > book
> > in previous Outlook version would sort by last name first...Outlook 2003
> > lists everything by first name first, even though when I open the contacts
> > folder, it is displayed as last name first.  How can I get my address book
> > list last name first to make it easier to find a name when I want to send
> > an
> > e-mail?

> >> There's a registry hack that may allow it.  With both Outlook and Outlook
> >> Express closed, click Start>Run.  Enter "regedit" in the OPen field and
> >> click OK.  Locate the key
> >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\WAB\WAB4.  Click Edit>New>DWORD
> >> Value.
> >> Enter "UseOutlook" as the new key name and press Enter.  Double-click
> >> UseOutlook and enter 1 as the Value data.  Click OK and exit regedit.
> >> Start
> >> Outlook Express and its address book should reference your Contacts
> >> folder.
> >> --
> >> Brian Tillman

0
DCM (8)

MSN Messenger and my address book
I recently installed MSN Messenger and since then, my Outlook Express address book hasn't been running properly. If I right-click on a person's name and select 'properties', it takes an incredibly long time for the properties to appear. I've heard from a few people that they 't received my email messages. And, I also noticed that when I try to send a Word doc to a mail recipient as an attachment, I get the following error message: Logon failed. You must log on to Microsoft Exchange to access your address book. Error code: "Unspecified error". What has happen...

Redirecting mail based on sender address
Is it possible to redirect incoming mail based on the senders email address ? Eg if an email arrives in exchange for 123@abc.com from 456@xyz.com can exchange see that the sender is 456@xyz.com and redirect it to say 789@abc.com ? I know i could do this through a rule in Outlook but i want to be able to do it through exchange as the recipient address may not be a valid user. Thanks in advance, Steve ...

Custom Address in Exchange 2003 for x500
Hopefully someone has does this before. I'm currently trying to implement a recipient policy that will update the recipient contacts in AD and add an x500 address that will match our old Exchange 5.5 x500. Everytime I try to add a custom address type with x500 I receive the following message: The e-mail address description object in the Microsoft Exchange directory for the 'x500' address type on 'i386' machines is missing. Has anyone been able to accomplish this before? What did you need to do? Thanks in advance, Dave You need a proxy address generator DLL for th...

i bought a college book and the key that came with it and also vi.
i had to buy a book set for college and it came with this Visio pro 2003 and the key... but the professor said it was the full version and its a trial version... i thought the key would activate the trial version but it dosn't work???? i dont know if its ment to be a trial or not... but i need the programe for more then 60 Days!! for the class The professor should be able to point you to a local resource at the college where you can buy Visio, perhaps at great discount. Otherwise, buy it where you normally buy software. Hope this is useful to you. Let us know. rms Louis S wro...

Vendor Contact Email Address
I would like to add the vendor email contact email address to the PO Blank Format (V10) Anyone have suggestions on how to do this? -- Doug Good morning Doug You can add a calculated field using the system function RW_GetInternetInfo in Report Writer. You can refer to technowledge 874102 for doing that. -- Patrick B. "Doug" wrote: > I would like to add the vendor email contact email address to the PO Blank > Format (V10) > > Anyone have suggestions on how to do this? > -- > Doug Customer source isnt working again.... Thanks for the response! I am a...

Creating a Price Book
We have the need to publish price books for our distributors. Is there a simple way to create price books? -- Robert Blanchet ...

Offline Address List Fun
Hi All, Here's hoping some of you exchange gurus can help me troubleshoot a rather interesting problem. We have a couple of Outlook 2003 users who are having trouble with their Offline Address List in cache mode. Things are all good and dandy when they are not in cache mode but once they turn cache mode on they would not download the latest offline address list even if they are forced to. The server has the latest OAL since I am also running in Cache mode and I am able to get everybody's user info ( and I made sure I am using the local OAB files ). I deleted his local OABs but wh...

personal address book used by other applications error
hi all, need ur help urgently. i have designed an application that uses mapi. the emails are being sent ok without issues. The problem i am facing is that i have to send about 1500 plus emails from within my application. after sending about 400 the system prompts an error message telling that the personal address book is being used by more than one application and so i will have to close some applications to send email. There is no other application that uses outlook at that point of time. it is just my application that uses it and i cannot send bulk emails(meaning that i cannot put...

phone numbers & addresses header disappear (customized contact)
Hi all, I tried to customized the contact form from the standard library. exchange 2003/outlook2003 envir. I just drop one (or any) user defind field from field chooser to the contact design form. I just test and run this form and the Phone Numbers________________________ Addresses___________________________ Do not appear in the header anymore. Is this supposed to be? What's the solution to this? Thank you very much! What do you mean by "header"? In the meantime, you might want to get familiar with the quirks of custom contact forms; see http://www.o...

Error 2035 X500 Address Type Missing
Pure Ex2003 SP1 site (after 5.5 migration several months ago). Other 4 sites in Exchange Org are pure 5.5. Everything seems to be running ok, no ADC errors, no RUS errors, no SRS errors... Just got error 2035 ExchangeSA after changing (via ADUC) new user's misspelled last name on all his e-mail address types. "The e-mail address description object in the Microsoft Exchange directory for the 'X500' address type on 'i386' machines is missing." (Did not get 2027 or 2037 errors about any missing .dll) Following KB 326962 -- Using Adsiedit to check, x.500 is n...

Book for a windows/c++/mfc beginner...
Hi, I have previous coding experience, but not in the windows environment and not in C/C++. I have just got a copy of MS Visual C++ Express and want to learn how to code C++ for Windows. As I understand it I need to use MFC for the windows stuff, and without it Visual C++ would just be command prompt based? Is that correct? If so then I need a book that teaches me MFC and C++, preferably in the Visual C++ environment... Which is the best book/books for this? Thanks. anon418600J5 wrote: > Hi, > > I have previous coding experience, but not in the windows environment and...

Address labels list
Where do i start to look for making an address label list Will this list be used for Mail Merges? If so: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mailmerg.htm http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge/CreateADataSource.htm These are good places to get information. tj "sally" wrote: > Where do i start to look for making an address label list Good place to start AND finish! http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mailmerg.htm -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ===============================...

Would you recommend Publisher to design a school year book?
I would like to publish the local school's year book in Publisher, the year book contains photos, drawings as well as text. Would you recommend this software for this purpose? Catalog merge http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/CH010504381033.aspx -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Black and White" <Black and White@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:13F70636-B32F-41DA-83A7-08B88E3875C0@microsoft.com... >I would like to publish the local school's year book in Publisher, t...

How to display a public folder address in Global address book?
Hi all, do you know How to display a public folder address in Global address book? I want users can post an email to the public folder like sending a email. and they can find the public folder name in GAL. Appreciate your help in advance!! Best RGS, Jennifer In All Address List\Public Folder... -- Jammy "yi yuhong" <yiyuhong@hotmail.com> ���g��l��s�D :OMH0xdkuEHA.2624@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Hi all, > > do you know How to display a public folder address in Global address book? > > I want users can post an email to the public folder like sending a emai...

how do I make make my hyperlinks show the email address they are .
I copy a list of names from one page and put them in a excel spreadsheet. What happens is just the name show like DUSTIN MCALISTER but when you hold the mouse over the name the email address shows up in a little yellow box showing what the hyperlink is. Is there a way to make it show the email address instead of the hyperlink?? That way I can click on a row of names and all the emaill addresses will be there so I can copy and paste them into my Email and mass email my clients? Thanks! ...

book mark not valid
Ok we started trying to get exchange 2003 installed about 2 months ago, with no luck. So we went and took a 2 day crash course. We got it set up OWA works but when we try to setup Outlook 2003 clients we get "Name not found. Book mark is not valid." Can anyone give me detailed instruction on how to fix this problem? This is the 3rd time exchange was installed in on this network. Is there anything that could be messing up the domain controllers and not allowing the info to go through. My knowledge of Exchange and Windows server 2003 is very limited. If you could explain it like your ...

im address
I have Outlook 2003 at work and we have Exchange messaging running. I would like the messenger integration to use a messenger address other than the default exhange (.NET instead). How would I go about doing this? I tried using the IM address field but that doesn't work as an override. ...

Exchange 2003 Offline Address Book
hello everyone, i hope someone can help me here, i have a problem with exchange 2003. mail comes in and out fine. exchange server is in production and everythng is ok from a "mail" point-of-view. my problems reside with collaboration tools. 1. when a user creates an appointment and wants to invite other attendees, the free/busy information is unavailable (for everyone except self) 2. outlook 2003 users frequently get a 0X8004010F error when downloading the offline address book. i can sympathize with that, because i know that there is NO offline address list, and i cannot create o...

I imported my address book from outlook express and cannot find i.
I just upgraded to Office 2003 with Microsoft Outlook 2003 and imported my Outlook express address book. When I go to address book in outlook, there is nothing there but the contacts list. Where did the distribution list and email addresses go. Thanks, Kathryn Kite AFLAC. Kathryn Kite AFLAC <Kathryn Kite AFLAC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I just upgraded to Office 2003 with Microsoft Outlook 2003 and > imported my Outlook express address book. When I go to address book > in outlook, there is nothing there but the contacts list. They went into your Contacts folde...

cant send email error says address rejected?
outlook wont let me send emails.. keeps stating that address rejected, access denied? "mickmaag" wrote: > outlook wont let me send emails.. keeps stating that address rejected, access > denied? Sorry, my crystal ball is out for repairs again. Maybe you could supply a few details while I await its return. 1) Is this a fresh install or an update? 2) Did your SMTP server work before? In other words, were you able to send emails previously? a) If you use more than one ISP, is this behavior consistent with all of them? 3) What version of Outlook &...

User ability to change default smtp address
I am look for an app that would allow the user to change/select their out going smtp address from those avalable in the server. I run multiple domains on our exch2K3 server (@doamin1.com, @ domain2.com, etc). there are times when the user needs to have the outgoing smtp address be other then the default( that is change from abc@domain1.com, to abc@domain2.com) I know of IvaSoft...any others? thanks bill On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 09:22:04 -0800, "Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am look for an app that would allow the user to change/select their out >go...

faxes from global address book?
using outlook 2002. i can send a fax to a contact in my personal address book because it comes up with the various options in the list like user (email), user (business fax), user (blah blah) etc etc... but when i want to do this from the global address book the options are not there (even though there is an entry for fax number in the global address book) also if i try and add the global contact to my personal address book, the fax number field is blank.. any thoughts>? ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usen...

E-mail address books
I just installed XP on my computer and had to reformat the drive. I did a full backup but didn't address my E-mail address book in Outlook Express. Does anyone know where that address book would be in my backup? I need the file location and any info on doing the conversion to Office Outlook. This is a group to support Outlook from the Office group of programs. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and is a quite different program despite its similar name.. You will probably get a faster and more expert answer if you post this to an outlook express news group. Try posting i...

Excel 2000
Using Excel 2000, every time I enter text into a cell that is an e-mail address, Excel autoconverts it to an e-mail hyperlink and changes the format to underlined and 10pt. This is a nuisance for me as I do not want any of these things to occur. Especially the hyperlinks as they have to be removed one at a time. I've tried changing the format of these cells to Text and to several others, but none seem to work. How can I disable this feature? Thanks. take a look here: http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/nohyperlinks2.html it's written for MacXL, but it's not too hard to conve...

Compare two columns with email addresses- doesn't work
Hello, I am trying to compare two columns that contain email addresses. The goal is to identify email addresses that exist in both columns. I tried VLOOKUP, and Countif functions but I can't get them to return any results. I also did a copy and paste special (multiply) to make sure the formatting in both columns is the same. Column A has email addresses of people who read the email (total 168) I sent out, and Column C has all the email addresses (total 1938) it was sent to. Can anyone please help? Thank you! Sandeep 2 Questions, 1. How does your VLOOKUP formula look? 2. What format ...