Address Auto-Complete doesn't work right

Using Outlook 2002 sp2 (from Office XP Pro) on WinXP Home

Most of the time the address auto-complete function does not operate
correctly...

If I have one person in the address named Adam and one named Alan and I
beging typing 'ala' (no quotes), it presents me with Alan as the
auto-complete entry.

If I have Donna in my address book and I type 'donna ' I don't get presented
with any choices or an auto-complete entry.

I have 5 people with first names of Michael, and it chooses the first one in
the list, but does not present the 4 others in a drop list.

I have the Tools->Options->Email Options ->Advanced options Automatic Name
Checking and Suggest Names While completeing options both checked on.

Any idea what's going on and how to fix it?

TIA
for auto-complete and

0
a3858 (4)

how many contact folders or address lists do you have?  it only looks until
it finds a folder with a match.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

http://www.poremsky.com - http://www.cdolive.com
Expert Zone http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

"John Smith" <a@nonymous.com> wrote in message
> Using Outlook 2002 sp2 (from Office XP Pro) on WinXP Home
>

> Most of the time the address auto-complete function does not operate
> correctly...
>
> If I have one person in the address named Adam and one named Alan and I
> beging typing 'ala' (no quotes), it presents me with Alan as the
> auto-complete entry.
>
> If I have Donna in my address book and I type 'donna ' I don't get
presented
> with any choices or an auto-complete entry.
>
> I have 5 people with first names of Michael, and it chooses the first one
in
> the list, but does not present the 4 others in a drop list.
>
> I have the Tools->Options->Email Options ->Advanced options Automatic Name
> Checking and Suggest Names While completeing options both checked on.
>

> Any idea what's going on and how to fix it?
>
> TIA
> for auto-complete and

0
dianenws (1904)
11/30/2003 12:28:39 AM
Not to mention the fact that autocompletion does not use the "address book"
at all. Only autoresolution does.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <dianenws@poremsky.com> wrote in message
> how many contact folders or address lists do you have?  it only looks
until
> it finds a folder with a match.
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

> http://www.poremsky.com - http://www.cdolive.com
> Expert Zone http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
>
> Search for answers: http://groups.google.com
> Most recent posts to the Outlook newsgroups:

> "John Smith" <a@nonymous.com> wrote in message
> > Using Outlook 2002 sp2 (from Office XP Pro) on WinXP Home
> >

> > Most of the time the address auto-complete function does not operate
> > correctly...
> >
> > If I have one person in the address named Adam and one named Alan and I
> > beging typing 'ala' (no quotes), it presents me with Alan as the
> > auto-complete entry.
> >
> > If I have Donna in my address book and I type 'donna ' I don't get
> presented
> > with any choices or an auto-complete entry.
> >
> > I have 5 people with first names of Michael, and it chooses the first
one
> in
> > the list, but does not present the 4 others in a drop list.
> >
> > I have the Tools->Options->Email Options ->Advanced options Automatic
Name
> > Checking and Suggest Names While completeing options both checked on.
> >

> > Any idea what's going on and how to fix it?
> >
> > TIA
> > for auto-complete and

0
russval (3097)
11/30/2003 3:01:52 AM
I have just one address book (I think).

There are about 70 entries in my 'Contacts' list.

If I click on the 'To' buttom when I create a new e-mail, all the e-mail
addresses of these contacts are offered as choices to me.

But if I simply start typing a recipient name in the To: address line,
sometimes I get a droplist of alphabetically sorted recipients (where the
first few letters match), and other times nothing. It's really frustrating.

Diane Poremsky [MVP] wrote:
> how many contact folders or address lists do you have?  it only looks
> until it finds a folder with a match.
>

> "John Smith" <a@nonymous.com> wrote in message
>> Using Outlook 2002 sp2 (from Office XP Pro) on WinXP Home
>>

>> Most of the time the address auto-complete function does not operate
>> correctly...
>>
>> If I have one person in the address named Adam and one named Alan
>> and I beging typing 'ala' (no quotes), it presents me with Alan as
>> the auto-complete entry.
>>
>> If I have Donna in my address book and I type 'donna ' I don't get
>> presented with any choices or an auto-complete entry.
>>
>> I have 5 people with first names of Michael, and it chooses the
>> first one in the list, but does not present the 4 others in a drop
>> list.
>>
>> I have the Tools->Options->Email Options ->Advanced options
>> Automatic Name Checking and Suggest Names While completeing options
>> both checked on.
>>

>> Any idea what's going on and how to fix it?
>>
>> TIA
>> for auto-complete and

0
a3858 (4)
11/30/2003 4:35:55 PM
Behaving as designed. Autocompletion does not use your address book. It uses
a cache derived from messages you have already sent.
The To: button and autoresolution use the addresses in your Contacts Folder.
You can use either or both, depending on your preference. Perhaps you would
prefer to disable autocompletion.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
> I have just one address book (I think).
>
> There are about 70 entries in my 'Contacts' list.
>
> If I click on the 'To' buttom when I create a new e-mail, all the e-mail
> addresses of these contacts are offered as choices to me.
>
> But if I simply start typing a recipient name in the To: address line,
> sometimes I get a droplist of alphabetically sorted recipients (where the
> first few letters match), and other times nothing. It's really
frustrating.

> Diane Poremsky [MVP] wrote:
> > how many contact folders or address lists do you have?  it only looks
> > until it finds a folder with a match.
> >

> > "John Smith" <a@nonymous.com> wrote in message
> >> Using Outlook 2002 sp2 (from Office XP Pro) on WinXP Home
> >>

> >> Most of the time the address auto-complete function does not operate
> >> correctly...
> >>
> >> If I have one person in the address named Adam and one named Alan
> >> and I beging typing 'ala' (no quotes), it presents me with Alan as
> >> the auto-complete entry.
> >>
> >> If I have Donna in my address book and I type 'donna ' I don't get
> >> presented with any choices or an auto-complete entry.
> >>
> >> I have 5 people with first names of Michael, and it chooses the
> >> first one in the list, but does not present the 4 others in a drop
> >> list.
> >>
> >> I have the Tools->Options->Email Options ->Advanced options
> >> Automatic Name Checking and Suggest Names While completeing options
> >> both checked on.
> >>

> >> Any idea what's going on and how to fix it?
> >>
> >> TIA
> >> for auto-complete and

0
russval (3097)
11/30/2003 5:24:06 PM
Is there any way to clear the cache of email addresses
that you no longer use?

To: address line,
>> sometimes I get a droplist of alphabetically sorted
recipients (where the
>> first few letters match), and other times nothing.
It's really
>frustrating.
>>

>> Diane Poremsky [MVP] wrote:
>> > how many contact folders or address lists do you
have?  it only looks
>> > until it finds a folder with a match.
>> >

>> > "John Smith" <a@nonymous.com> wrote in message
$X2W1.20728@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com...
WinXP Home

does not operate

one named Alan
me with Alan as

type 'donna ' I don't get
entry.

chooses the
others in a drop

options
completeing options

>.

0
anonymous (74722)
12/11/2003 2:33:39 PM
Remove individual addresses from the autocompletion cache by highlighting
the entry when presented in the suggested names list (use your arrow key to
migrate to the entry) and then hitting your Delete key before you tab out of
the field. To clear the entire cache, follow the instructions here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q287623

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Bob in Miami" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there any way to clear the cache of email addresses
> that you no longer use?

0
russval (3097)

Outlook 2003 working with Groupwise client
We are moving our people from Groupwise to Exchange and I am having a horrible time getting the two to work together. We need to keep both clients on the machine for a short time while the switch is done. I installed Outlook 2003 on my workstation running Windows XP and Outlook and Groupwise are happily coexisting. When I tried this on a Windows 2000 machine everything went to crap. I've tried all of the tricks I can think of. I've removed Groupwise and windows messaging and reintalled everything from scratch and no dice. I just keep getting Outlook MAPI errors and messages s...

Public Folders: How to set up Auto-Reply in EX2003?
Hi guys, I've configured a public folder to receive mail from the Internet, and also set up an auto-reply rule using the Folder Assistant to reply when an e-mail is sent to the folder. The folder will auto-reply just fine if I e-mail it from within the Exchange organization, but if folks from the Internet e-mail the folder, it doesn't reply. Any ideas? Thanks! Jeff I ended up figuring out what the problem was. Just in case anyone else has this problem, what I needed to do to fix it was: - Open Exchange System Manager > Global Settings > Internet Message Formats - Right-c...

Rules not working #7
I have a mail profile that I use with one email address that gets a LOT of spam. I have a fair size number of rules (probably 10-15) for categorizing and filtering it, all of them starting wth "Apply this rule after the message arrives". Problem is that most of them only work about half the time. I'll get some messages that were moved to the correct folders, and some similar messages still in the inbox. If I click "Rules Wizard" and the "Run Now" button, selecting all the rules, it moves the ones still in the inbox to the correct folder. How come it didn&#...

failure of Open XML 1.1.4 to work
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Previous versions of this worked fine. This version comes up with comment &quot;not enough memory&quot;. As I have 2mg Ram this seems strange. Any help appreciated. I'm afraid you haven't provided sufficient information for anyone to go on, especially since that message quite often has nothing to do with memory. For any questions of a technical or performance nature it's important that you specify your current update level of OS X as well as for Office. Exactly when does this messag...

Hyperlinks do not work in email in outlook
Shortly after installing the new service pack for Windows XP I began getting this message whenever I tried to click on a hyperlink in an email: "This operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator." I assume it is because some switch has been set. Could someone tell me how to regain the ability to use the embedded links in email in outlook? Thanks Bob <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Shortly after installing the new service pack for Windows > XP I began getting this message whene...

Multiple Domain e-mail addresses
We are running Exchange Server 2003 Enterprise addition and I am having a bit of a "brain-freeze" at the moment... Where in the Exchange Admin do I configure the server to accept e-mail from more than one domain. For example, we currently accept e-mail from mycurrentdomain.ca and would also like to accept email from mycurrentdomain.com. Please note that I have updated all of our DNS MX records as required, just need to make the changes on the Exchange server. Thanks in advance... Recipient polices-email address policy. "Raymond Spitzingle" <ray(nospam)@stuff...

hyperlinks within the same document are not working
Hi. I am trying to create an email publication in MS publisher 2007. It has several stories that will be sent out in email and the first section is supposed to contain a summary with hyperlinks to each story within the same email for more details. I am adding a bookmark at the begining of each story, and then trying to create a hyperlink in the summary section to the bookmark. However, when I send the publication as email, or do an email preview, the hyperlinks do not work. Please help! ...

Sales --> Transaction Entry Auto serial strange attitude
Dear All I am using GP 10 SP2 I am using screen Sales --> Transaction Entry When I type a serial in the document, number let us say “CAI00001” “CAI00002” “CAI00003” Then if I closed the document and then I opened it again I found that the default serial is “CAI00004” which I don’t want that 1 - So I am asking why is that happening ? 2 - How can I stop that? 3 – is there is a way to tell the system not to put these default numbers and I will let the user add them by his own. Please advise me what to do I am really in a big trouble. Thank you Go to Sales Order Processing Setup Options a...

Exchange 2003 Envelope Journaling not working
Hi, I have a single Exchange 2003 SP1 server. I'm trying to get envelope journaling to work. I have enabled message journaling and then used "exejcfg.exe -e" to enable envelope journaling. The journal mailbox is receiving the standard message journal messages, but not the envelope journal formatted messages. I have verified with LDP to confirm the heuristic value is 512 for the Exchange Org object. Anyone else seen this before or have any advice? Thanks --- Greg Reboot maybe? greg@intellireach.com wrote: > Hi, > > I have a single Exchange 2003 SP1 server. I...

Resolving External IP address Internally
When I access my server from outside my LAN I use something like http://173.191.14.188/page.html When I access my serer from inside my LAN I use something like http://servername/page.html I want to be able to access http://173.191.14.188/page.html from INSIDE my LAN but I can't. I have added a forward lookup A record in DNS but it still doesn't work. What do I need to do? Why? - Larry Please post the resolution to your issue so others may benefit - Get Your SBS Health Check at www.sbsbpa.com > When I access my server from outside my LAN I use something l...

how do I display email addresses memorized by autocomplete?
I have many email addresses that autocomplete has memorized, but that have not been entered into my contacts, that I would like to access. Any ideas? This is a great tool for it: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/outlook_nk2_autocomplete.html -- Ricardo Silva Add-ins for Microsoft(c) Outlook(c) http://www.rsoutlook.com/us/products.html "alyankee" <alyankee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:09CC2496-662A-4919-904C-EF6D93A51033@microsoft.com... >I have many email addresses that autocomplete has memorized, but that have > not been entered i...

How do I get automatic completion to work for an in-cell dropdown
If I have a list of Alpha, Beta, Gamma and an in-cell dropdown, I'd like typing 'G' to auto-select Gamma. I'm pretty sure it was doing that at some point, but now, it does not. This isn't supported under data|validation. You could use A,B,G in the dropdown and then use a helper cell with a formula in it, though. Say you put your abbreviations in A1:A3 of sheet2 and the real names in B1:B3, then you could use: =if(a1="","",vlookup(a1,sheet2!a:b,2,false)) Joseph Weisblatt wrote: > > If I have a list of Alpha, Beta, Gamma and an in-cell dropd...

DB Mail is is not working. Need help please.
I have try stop and start the db mail by executing the SPs below but no luck. Does anyone has seem the error below and how to fix it. Thanks in advance for your advise/help. --steps USE msdb; go EXECute sysmail_stop_sp; go EXECute sysmail_start_sp; go EXECute sysmail_help_queue_sp @queue_type = 'Mail'; go queue_type length state last_empty_rowset_time last_activated_time ---------- ----------- ---------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------- ------------...

How to export exchange global address book to WAB file?
I would like to export exchange address book to outlook express address book. How to export exchange global address book to WAB file? Mesak wrote: > I would like to export exchange address book to outlook express > address book. How to export exchange global address book to WAB file? I don't know about wab files, but see if http://www.slipstick.com/exs/portagal.htm helps at all. ...

auto filter data within pivot table
Hello, Does anyone know how can we filter data within a pivot table? or sort the data from ascending to decending order withing a pivot table??? Can we do that? It doesnt seems to work?! Thanks. Elaine. You can add fields to the page area, and use them to filter the pivot table's data. To sort a field, select a cell in a column, and click the A-Z button on the Excel toolbar. elaine wrote: > Does anyone know how can we filter data within a pivot table? or sort > the data from ascending to decending order withing a pivot table??? > Can we do that? > > It doesnt se...

_CRTDBG_MAP_ALLOC doesn't seem to work
I'm having problems tracking down a meory leak and thought the best way would be to follow the instructions in MDSN: "Detecting and Isolating Memory Leaks Using Microsoft Visual C++" However, I can only get the basic memory dump, without source file and line number. It's as if _CRTDBG_MAP_ALLOC is being ignored. I tried building a test application (basic MFC SDI application) to try it out. At the top of Leaktest.h, I have #define _CRTDBG_MAP_ALLOC #include <stdlib.h> #include <crtdbg.h> In CLeakTestApp::InitInstance(), I have _CrtSetDbgFlag( _CRTD...

Annoying Auto correct
Please HELP. I am entering strings of numbers for street adresses, such as "137th" or "73rd" and when I advance to the next cell, Excel is automatically and INCORRECTLY CHANGING these entries to "137Th" and "73Rd". I cannot find which auto correct feature or other option is doing this to me and it is driving me crazy. Could someone help me find what I need to shut off? Jay I think it's Tools / Options / Edit / Enable Autocomplete for Cell Values turn off that checkbox. "jayceejay" wrote: > Please HELP. I am entering strings ...

OWA timeout does not work for every client
I set the timeout setting on OWA, i don't have any issues but i'm getting lots of complaints that users are getting logged of after 15 min. why does this happen with some clients but not all? thx ...

I cannot paste from one workbook to another. Copy works, paste do.
When I attempt to copy from one workbook and paste into another, copy appears to work but paste does not. The paste menu item is grayed out in the workbook to which I attempt to paste. Are there setting that can be changed to aloow the paste?? Check to see if either workbook and/or worksheet is protected. If so, unprotect. Then Copy/Paste should work. BTW, how are you copy?paste(ing) Tab or content? Dennis "JimmyMc" wrote: > When I attempt to copy from one workbook and paste into another, copy appears > to work but paste does not. The paste menu item is grayed out...

Journal stopped working #2
I have noticed that after upgrading from Outlook XP (2002) to Office Outlook 2003 my journal has completely stopped logging entries. I have turned it off and re-initialized it and still not entries. I mailing want it to log Word and Excel files. Any help would be appreciated I am running Exchange 2003 in cached outlook mode on a SBS 2003 server. ...

Work Schedule in Excel doc ... Don't have Excel
I just started a new job and the boss sent next weeks schedule in Exce format but I don't have excel. Is there anyway to just read an Exce file? If not can someone tell me my schedule for me -- charlene202 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- charlene2021's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1641 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27780 Hi you can get a free viewer for excel from the microsoft site .. the following link should get you there http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/of...

Spreadsheet macro stopped working!
Hi, I recently made an Excel spreadsheet for keeping track of my golf score. The spreadsheet is quite simple. It consists of 4 sheets: Scorecard, statistics, database and equations (for calculating some specific). I insert informations about the golf course I'm playing and how my score was etc. I then hit a button "Save scorecard" that runs a macro. The macro inserts specifik values from the scorecard into the database sheet (which works like a charm). The macro also updates the "Statistics" sheet with information about stroke number and points for ...

Working with elapsed time data
How do I set up Excel to accept race times for a cross- country team? I want to enter minutes and seconds for each runner for each race. Then I want to calculate each runner's average time. When I enter minutes and seconds, Excel converts it to the time of day - which is not what I want. Go to www.cpearson.com for lots of tips on working with time. Bernard "DW" <dweskalnies@vertisinc.com> wrote in message news:080f01c38854$46e18100$a401280a@phx.gbl... > How do I set up Excel to accept race times for a cross- > country team? I want to enter minutes and seconds for...

Outlook 2002/2003 auto-complete function
How do i clear out the "database" of the auto-complete function in the To,cc and bcc fields. i know how to do a single name clear by clicking delete is there a way to clear all the names out? To clear the entire cache, follow the instructions here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q287623 -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Brian James" <bjames@beconet.com> wrote in message news:009101c3ad51$120b6a00$a501280a@phx.gbl... > How do i clear out the "database" of the auto-complete > function in the To,cc and bcc fields. i know how...

automatically add borders to a cell after entry is complete
I've seen this done before. I would like to format the cells in my spreadsheet to automatically add a border to seperate one cell entry from the next after I'm finished with the entry. In other words after I tab out of the cell. Thanks, BKD you can set a conditional formatting. Highlight the area you will input numbers go to format--> conditional Formatting--> cell value is change to not equal to 0 click on format, select border--> choose one with all borders around it, click ok and ok again. now if you input any number except 0 you will see the borders. hope it hel...