add contacts to email addressbook, when option greyed out?

if i goto contacts/properties/outlook address book , the option to "show this 
folder as an address book is greyed out. 
i cannot use the conternts folder or any othe folder i have created as a 
adress boook it always remains greyed out. 

any ideas please?
0
2810 (1)
4/27/2009 1:00:03 PM
outlook 87535 articles. 11 followers. Follow

5 Replies
315 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 10

Create a new mail profile - you have given precious little information on 
your setup but I would bet dollars to donuts that you attempted to transfer 
your data using Windows Easy Transfer.

That never works for OUtlook data without creating a corrupt profile.

-- 
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact.
ALWAYS post your Outlook version.
How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375


After furious head scratching, tony l 2810 asked:

| if i goto contacts/properties/outlook address book , the option to
| "show this folder as an address book is greyed out.
| i cannot use the conternts folder or any othe folder i have created
| as a adress boook it always remains greyed out.
|
| any ideas please? 


0
Milly
4/27/2009 1:42:18 PM
thanks Milly

yes that is exactly what i did .,  when you say creat a new profile, what 
exactly do i do , is it just a new mail account, or something else

thanks for you help so far

tony



"Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]" wrote:

> Create a new mail profile - you have given precious little information on 
> your setup but I would bet dollars to donuts that you attempted to transfer 
> your data using Windows Easy Transfer.
> 
> That never works for OUtlook data without creating a corrupt profile.
> 
> -- 
> Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
> 
> Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact.
> ALWAYS post your Outlook version.
> How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
> 
> 
> After furious head scratching, tony l 2810 asked:
> 
> | if i goto contacts/properties/outlook address book , the option to
> | "show this folder as an address book is greyed out.
> | i cannot use the conternts folder or any othe folder i have created
> | as a adress boook it always remains greyed out.
> |
> | any ideas please? 
> 
> 
> 
0
tonyl2810 (1)
4/27/2009 1:53:01 PM
Hi,

I have had exactly the same problem, and I did use windows easy transfer.

I have removed all of my e-mail accounts and then reinstalled them but still 
have the same issue.

Tony, did you get a response?  I can't find one.

Ta

JL

"tony l 2810" wrote:

> thanks Milly
> 
> yes that is exactly what i did .,  when you say creat a new profile, what 
> exactly do i do , is it just a new mail account, or something else
> 
> thanks for you help so far
> 
> tony
> 
> 
> 
> "Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]" wrote:
> 
> > Create a new mail profile - you have given precious little information on 
> > your setup but I would bet dollars to donuts that you attempted to transfer 
> > your data using Windows Easy Transfer.
> > 
> > That never works for OUtlook data without creating a corrupt profile.
> > 
> > -- 
> > Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
> > 
> > Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact.
> > ALWAYS post your Outlook version.
> > How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
> > 
> > 
> > After furious head scratching, tony l 2810 asked:
> > 
> > | if i goto contacts/properties/outlook address book , the option to
> > | "show this folder as an address book is greyed out.
> > | i cannot use the conternts folder or any othe folder i have created
> > | as a adress boook it always remains greyed out.
> > |
> > | any ideas please? 
> > 
> > 
> > 
0
JL123 (2)
7/2/2009 7:30:01 PM
You need to create a new profile,  not new accounts. Go to Control panel, 
Mail and create a new profile and delete the current one.

See http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/2007_profile.htm

-- 
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com

Outlook Tips by email:
mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net

EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange:
mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM

Let's Really Fix Outlook 2010
http://forums.slipstick.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34

"JL123" <JL123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:0101D768-514B-4134-A437-2CC4EA743CE2@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have had exactly the same problem, and I did use windows easy transfer.
>
> I have removed all of my e-mail accounts and then reinstalled them but 
> still
> have the same issue.
>
> Tony, did you get a response?  I can't find one.
>
> Ta
>
> JL
>
> "tony l 2810" wrote:
>
>> thanks Milly
>>
>> yes that is exactly what i did .,  when you say creat a new profile, what
>> exactly do i do , is it just a new mail account, or something else
>>
>> thanks for you help so far
>>
>> tony
>>
>>
>>
>> "Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]" wrote:
>>
>> > Create a new mail profile - you have given precious little information 
>> > on
>> > your setup but I would bet dollars to donuts that you attempted to 
>> > transfer
>> > your data using Windows Easy Transfer.
>> >
>> > That never works for OUtlook data without creating a corrupt profile.
>> >
>> > -- 
>> > Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
>> >
>> > Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact.
>> > ALWAYS post your Outlook version.
>> > How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
>> >
>> >
>> > After furious head scratching, tony l 2810 asked:
>> >
>> > | if i goto contacts/properties/outlook address book , the option to
>> > | "show this folder as an address book is greyed out.
>> > | i cannot use the conternts folder or any othe folder i have created
>> > | as a adress boook it always remains greyed out.
>> > |
>> > | any ideas please?
>> >
>> >
>> > 
0
outlookmvp (5838)
7/2/2009 7:36:50 PM
Thankyou Diane, your web link worked perfectly.

If anybody else has this problem.. when you attach the original PST file ,if 
you are presented with a list of 7 as I was, use the newest / biggest one as 
that probably has all your old data.  If you choose one at random you will 
have a few hearts stopping moments as you will think you have lost everything.

"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:

> You need to create a new profile,  not new accounts. Go to Control panel, 
> Mail and create a new profile and delete the current one.
> 
> See http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/2007_profile.htm
> 
> -- 
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
> Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com
> 
> Outlook Tips by email:
> mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net
> 
> EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange:
> mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM
> 
> Let's Really Fix Outlook 2010
> http://forums.slipstick.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34
> 
> "JL123" <JL123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:0101D768-514B-4134-A437-2CC4EA743CE2@microsoft.com...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have had exactly the same problem, and I did use windows easy transfer.
> >
> > I have removed all of my e-mail accounts and then reinstalled them but 
> > still
> > have the same issue.
> >
> > Tony, did you get a response?  I can't find one.
> >
> > Ta
> >
> > JL
> >
> > "tony l 2810" wrote:
> >
> >> thanks Milly
> >>
> >> yes that is exactly what i did .,  when you say creat a new profile, what
> >> exactly do i do , is it just a new mail account, or something else
> >>
> >> thanks for you help so far
> >>
> >> tony
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> "Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]" wrote:
> >>
> >> > Create a new mail profile - you have given precious little information 
> >> > on
> >> > your setup but I would bet dollars to donuts that you attempted to 
> >> > transfer
> >> > your data using Windows Easy Transfer.
> >> >
> >> > That never works for OUtlook data without creating a corrupt profile.
> >> >
> >> > -- 
> >> > Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
> >> >
> >> > Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact.
> >> > ALWAYS post your Outlook version.
> >> > How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
> >> >
> >> >
> >> > After furious head scratching, tony l 2810 asked:
> >> >
> >> > | if i goto contacts/properties/outlook address book , the option to
> >> > | "show this folder as an address book is greyed out.
> >> > | i cannot use the conternts folder or any othe folder i have created
> >> > | as a adress boook it always remains greyed out.
> >> > |
> >> > | any ideas please?
> >> >
> >> >
> >> > 
> 
0
JL123 (2)
7/3/2009 10:22:01 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Quote Form with Options
Hi, I have a main quote form with subforms for labor, parts and misc parts all tied to a job number with several calculations on the main form from each of the subforms. This works great as it is. Now users tell me they need to have ability to create optional quotes for same job number. Is it possible to have an option group on the form so that the first main default quote would be option 1 and then if user needs to create another quote for the same job number (job number is autonumber and primary from tgeninfo table) they can press "Option 2" button and use the s...

Allow or Deny when a Program tries to send an email
I am trying to send a message through Outlook with a vb.net program. I receive a message saying that I can allow or deny this message. After a few of these messages, I started getting a different message that gave me a choice to ALWAYS allow messages to be sent from this program. I don't know what triggered the appearance of this send message. My problem is that I need to install my application on my user machines, does anyone know how to disable this allow or deny message OR trigger the send message which allows me select always allow? Thanks, What version of Out...

Outlook options not showing up for user
I am in the process of training and testing with our CRM 3.0. I have installed either the laptop client or the desktop client on the user's machines. For training purposes I have also installed CRM on our training room pc's. I set the user's Outlook for that particular pc and then installed CRM with the user logged on, but I ran the installation under run as. The installation seemed to go fine, yet the user's cannot see and folders or menu when they launch their Outlook. The can get to it in the web environment though. Any ideas on why this has happened and what I can d...

Add a specific Record to a Table based on a check box
I have a Table called ServiceTypes. Based on a User's input on a ProposalForm, ServiceTypes need to be added to a ProposalServicesTable. For instance, I have a Check Box on the ProposalForm. When a Check Box is clicked Yes, Access must search the ServiceTypes Table, select a specific ServiceTypeID, and add the ServiceType to the ProposalServicesTable. How can I add the proper Service record from the ServiceTable to the ProposalServicesTable based on the Check Box? I wouldn't do it that way. I'd use a listbox (with multi-select set to YES) that was sourced to the ServiceTab...

Saving existing Outlook emails
I'm needing to re-format my harddrive and am wondering how I can save my existing Outlook emails and settings so that once I have the newly reformatted drive setup I can access my saved emails and files? do a search in your hard drive for *.pst... it contains all e-mails and contacts... in brief, all eggs in one basket. If you have mail rules you can export them, as you can your mail account(s). HTH <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:10fe01c4a73d$16a62f50$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I'm needing to re-format my harddrive and am wondering how > I can ...

Sending Letter to Contact Crashes Outlook
In Office 2003, if Word is open and I use Actions > New Letter to Contact, Outlook freezes up. On the other hand if Word is not open, "New Letter to Contact" works fine. Any explanation? Never seen it. You'll have to supply at least _some_ troubleshooting information. Error messages? Configuration changes to your setup? Did it ever work correctly? -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Terry Smerling" <tsmerling@lasuperiorcourt.org> wrote in message news:udHcH$1QEHA.2132@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > In Office 2003, if Word is open and I use Actions > New Let...

outlook 2003 add a dictionary
Hi, how can add a dictionary for spell checking ? in outlook 2003 su tools / options / spelling actually i have only English e French. ciao francesco ...

How do I add a hyperlink to an individual word in an Excel cell?
I am using Excel 2000 (not by choice) and I need to add a hyperlink to an individual word within the cell, not the whole cell itself. For example in the sentence "Click here or here to go to the appropriate web page." I want the words "here" to each have a separate hyperlink. Any ideas? I can manage some VBA too if necessary. Thanks, Rosalie Hi Rosalie, You can't do that in Excel. You would have to use HTML or Word or some other means. You could fake it, the entire cell would be a link, but you could after assigning the hyperlink select another...

make XL stop interpreting email addresses as highlighted links?
In several worksheets I store email addresses but XL insists on making them links. So, if I ever select the cell, it tries to open Outlook (which I won't let on my machine), etc. It takes me 30 seconds to get control back. I've looked everywhere in Options but I haven't found anything to stop this. My workaround is to type the email address in an unused cell, then copy it and Paste Special into the target cell with "values only". What a pain. Can you gurus please help? By the way, I did look hard and long for this in earlier posts -- I can't be the only one...

Adding attachments to email merges
I am trying to create an email merge in Outlook, with a PDF attachment. It all works ok, and the message sends but the attaachment is always stripped off the message - I have tried different files and the attachement never comes through, or even gets mentioned in the received message. What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions gratefully received. Many thanks m.nutt1 Not supported. You'd need to use third party software for that. http://www.slipstick.com/addins/mail.htm#massmail -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "m.nutt1" <mark@emqc.co.uk> wrote in message news:%23qnq...

want to add all $ in column c where column A is the same
I'm very new at Excel, and a real math dummy. I've figured out how to enter a formula when all the $ I want to add are together, but I can't figure out how to do that when I want to select only the $ values for certain items listed throughout the spreadsheet. For example: I keep a running list of Architects, their projects and $ values of each project as they are assigned. I want to automatically calculate the total current $ value for each Architect without having to sort them in order, or create a separate table for each architect. Can I do that? Here's what th...

Workflow Email on Campaign Response
I've added a workflow rule so that when a field is changed on the campaign reponse form a email will be sent but when i go to add the action "send email" is not listed. Is it not possible to do this? This is CRM 3.0 Thanks I am facing the same problem. In CRM 3.0, when I want to add a workflow rule On creating a campaign response, "Send email" is not an available option in the Insert Action menue. Does anyone know the solution? -- Raj Limaye, PMP "Matt" wrote: > I've added a workflow rule so that when a field is changed on the campaign &...

sending mail options
How to send mail to 5-6 ppl in BCC and leave to filed empty? Dont want to add anything to "to" field. so revievers wont see any to part. or better, how to make reciever see their name on "to" filed while others are hidden. why someone might need this? While sending a product offer to companies, I'd like to send it once and want every customer see their name on "to" files. Saves lots of time cause I am sending lots of mails:p mns <mns@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > How to send mail to 5-6 ppl in BCC and leave to filed empty? Dont > want...

Empty Emails
I get daily emails that are empty. Blank. From: Blank To: Blank Body: Blank Can someone tell my why? I just delete them. Thanks Sue Nope, I do too, but SpamBayes takes care of them for me. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, Sue asked: | I get daily emails that are empty. Blank. | From: Blank | To: Blank | Body: Blank | | Can someone tell my why? I just delete them. | Thanks | ...

linking to publisher email
How do you make a link for unsubscribing to an email? The easiest way is to insert a email link to you along with instructions. Select the text or image > insert > hyperlink > Email Address and enter your email address. DavidF "NK" <NK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:166F126E-17FC-468E-9A42-9E23ACE8454D@microsoft.com... > How do you make a link for unsubscribing to an email? ...

Problem OL 2002 Email
I am having a problem with OL 2002 email settings. I have two computers which I am setting up. One computer works perfectly. The second computer I have configured exactly the same...incoming/outgoing servers and ports, etc... are all setup the same. On the second computer when I press test email settings, everything tests fine. But when I try to do a Send/Receive, I run into problems. First, the POP3 tries to connect to the POP3 server twice at the same time. (I am able to see this on my POP3 server console.) Second, the SMTP sending mail never connects to my SMTP server. (Ag...

graph add ins for dials or dashboard reports?
I am trying to create some dashboard reporting at my company and cannot find any addins for this purpose. Can anyone help ??? I've heard from a few people that like Charley Kidd's dashboards. I haven't tried them: http://exceluser.com/dash/index.htm - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ BhewesPSU91 wrote: > I am trying to create some dashboard reporting at my company and cannot find > any addins for this purpose. Can anyone help ??? ...

need to make a formula that would add a field value to current dat
I have made a form in which I input different values. On of the values is (How Many Days). Now I need to a assign a default value, or expression (not sure which way to go about this) that will take the date value for (Date) and add the value (How Many Days) I figured that the formula should read =sum([Date]+[How Many Days]) But that is not giving me any results, thanx for your help in advance =DateDiff("d", Date(), [How Many Days]) -- Wayne Manchester, England. "J Man" wrote: > I have made a form in which I input different values. On of the values is ...

I registed damiler-benz.mobi, who want it, please contact with me! mail to 001@001.io
...

view source of email?
Hi - does anyone know how to view the source code of an email in Outlook 2003? - tia Jam4 ...

Emails don't find contacts in restored Outlook
My hard drive burned up, so I replaced it, reinstalled, and imported everything into Outlook. The contacts are there if you click contacts. However, when sending emails, there is no way to connect to my contacts. It's like they are invisible. You never import Outlook data to restore it. You just open the Outlook data file. When you do, you will be able to configure your address book view to display your Contacts the same way as always: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;287563&Product=ol2002 -- Russ Valentine "Mike Row Soft" <MikeR...

Why can't I send email messages with Trial Outlook 2007?
I have a new HP laptop that came with the 60 day trial of Office'07. I receive email but the send/reply/compose functions are grayed out. I am certain my settings are correct. Why can't I send email? KK What happens when you use the Test Account Settings? What is the exact error message you get? -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. ALWAYS post your Outlook version. How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 After furious head scratching, KK asked: | I have a new HP laptop that came with the 60 day...

Sending email in CRM web app problem
Hi, I found this problem very annoying. Our CRM's SMTP service is hosted in YahooMail. The SMTP address is mail.bizmail.yahoo.com and this is a "locked down" server, which means required authentication by username and password. I configured the CRM server's registry by settings the SMTPServerUrl and other stuff, such as Username and password entries. Now, when we send emails from CRM web app, it works... BUT... when we send email using a template which has embedded images, it cannot send the email and reports an error: "Not valid association" something... A...

Outlook Today
On the Outlook Today page the "Options" button does nothing. We're still runnning Win 98 SE2 with no immediate hopes of upgrading. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you. david <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > On the Outlook Today page the "Options" button does > nothing. We're still runnning Win 98 SE2 with no immediate > hopes of upgrading. Any help would be appreciated. Thank > you. This question has been asked and answered 100,000 times (literally). SEARCH for the answer. -- Brian Tillman Smiths Aerospace 3290 Patterson ...

Problem with 07 Office Pdf/Xps Add-in
Hello Despite having installed the 2007 Office SaveAs Pdf/Xps add-in, I have seen Mary Sauer's posting on this somewhere asking if it in the Add-in of the Office programmes. I do not see it any of the programmes even though I have reinstalled twice with genuine validation. Anything else I can do? Thks. Menk It's like a printer...you print to it. -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Rob Giordano Microsoft MVP Expression "Menikos" <menikos88@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:u2EEuVswIHA.4564@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Hello > > Despite having installed the 200...