A ghost folder in my Outlook

The other day I noticed that my Outlook was not
synchronizing with the Exchange server, so I
deleted the offline folder and then the sync went
fine. For good measure, I also ran the SCANOST
which detected and repaired an error:

**Beginning PST/OST recovery

  **Attempting to recover all top-level objects

  **Attempting to walk all folders

      !!Hierarchy Table for 20A2, row doesn't match sub-object:
        irow = 7, RowID = 2223

  **Attempting to locate any orphaned folders/messages

  **Attempting to check top-level objects for consistency

      ??Deleting SDO

Everything apparently works fine now, but I have an extra
folder just below my Mailbox - <name> stuff, that has no
name (just the pers. folder icon). If I left-click on it, the
error message pops up: "The set of folders could not be open.".
If I right-click on the icon, I can see that it's called
"<0W#25>", but if I then select the option "Close "<0W#25>"",
I get the message "You cannot close the mailbox that
contains your calendar, contacts, and inbox." Strange, because
my calendar, contacts, and inbox are happily hanging in
my Mailbox tree, where they have always been.

I tried switching off the cached mode, but the problem remains,
so it would appear that the server is involved. However,
if I access my stuff using OWA, the ghost folder doesn't
show.

Will appreciate your help in removing the ghost folder. Not
that it creates any trouble :-) but I'm worried if that might
be just a symptom of something worse happening
behind the scenes.

Is this a folder on the same level as your mailbox or on the Inbox?

In case of the first;
Create a new profile (do not copy it);
Control Panel-> Mail-> button Show Profiles

To access your current pst-file in the new profile;
File-> Open-> Outlook Data File...

To set it as the default delivery location;
Tools-> E-mail Accounts...-> button Next-> use the dropdownlist below

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
www.howto-outlook.com

Tips of the month:
-What do the Outlook Icons Mean?

"Jerry" <duncan_jeremy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> The other day I noticed that my Outlook was not
> synchronizing with the Exchange server, so I
> deleted the offline folder and then the sync went
> fine. For good measure, I also ran the SCANOST
> which detected and repaired an error:
>
> **Beginning PST/OST recovery
>
>  **Attempting to recover all top-level objects
>
>  **Attempting to walk all folders
>
>      !!Hierarchy Table for 20A2, row doesn't match sub-object:
>        irow = 7, RowID = 2223
>
>  **Attempting to locate any orphaned folders/messages
>
>  **Attempting to check top-level objects for consistency
>
>      ??Deleting SDO
>
> Everything apparently works fine now, but I have an extra
> folder just below my Mailbox - <name> stuff, that has no
> name (just the pers. folder icon). If I left-click on it, the
> error message pops up: "The set of folders could not be open.".
> If I right-click on the icon, I can see that it's called
> "<0W#25>", but if I then select the option "Close "<0W#25>"",
> I get the message "You cannot close the mailbox that
> contains your calendar, contacts, and inbox." Strange, because
> my calendar, contacts, and inbox are happily hanging in
> my Mailbox tree, where they have always been.
>
> I tried switching off the cached mode, but the problem remains,
> so it would appear that the server is involved. However,
> if I access my stuff using OWA, the ghost folder doesn't
> show.
>
> Will appreciate your help in removing the ghost folder. Not
> that it creates any trouble :-) but I'm worried if that might
> be just a symptom of something worse happening
> behind the scenes.

0
Roady
2/23/2005 10:00:33 AM
Hi Robert,

Thanks for your help. Yes, this folder is on the same level
as the mailbox. And my pst-file, since I'm using
the offline folder, is really an ost-file.

I now created a brand new profile (without deleting the
original one) and the rogue folder is gone!

Any ideas about what created this corruption? How
can I avoid it in the future?

message news:%23J7Na5YGFHA.2756@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
| Is this a folder on the same level as your mailbox or on the Inbox?
|
| In case of the first;
| Create a new profile (do not copy it);
| Control Panel-> Mail-> button Show Profiles
|
| To access your current pst-file in the new profile;
| File-> Open-> Outlook Data File...
|
| To set it as the default delivery location;
| Tools-> E-mail Accounts...-> button Next-> use the dropdownlist below
|
| --
| Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
| www.howto-outlook.com
|
| Tips of the month:
| -What do the Outlook Icons Mean?
| -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1
| --
|
| "Jerry" <duncan_jeremy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| > The other day I noticed that my Outlook was not
| > synchronizing with the Exchange server, so I
| > deleted the offline folder and then the sync went
| > fine. For good measure, I also ran the SCANOST
| > which detected and repaired an error:
| >
| > **Beginning PST/OST recovery
| >
| >  **Attempting to recover all top-level objects
| >
| >  **Attempting to walk all folders
| >
| >      !!Hierarchy Table for 20A2, row doesn't match sub-object:
| >        irow = 7, RowID = 2223
| >
| >  **Attempting to locate any orphaned folders/messages
| >
| >  **Attempting to check top-level objects for consistency
| >
| >      ??Deleting SDO
| >
| > Everything apparently works fine now, but I have an extra
| > folder just below my Mailbox - <name> stuff, that has no
| > name (just the pers. folder icon). If I left-click on it, the
| > error message pops up: "The set of folders could not be open.".
| > If I right-click on the icon, I can see that it's called
| > "<0W#25>", but if I then select the option "Close "<0W#25>"",
| > I get the message "You cannot close the mailbox that
| > contains your calendar, contacts, and inbox." Strange, because
| > my calendar, contacts, and inbox are happily hanging in
| > my Mailbox tree, where they have always been.
| >
| > I tried switching off the cached mode, but the problem remains,
| > so it would appear that the server is involved. However,
| > if I access my stuff using OWA, the ghost folder doesn't
| > show.
| >
| > Will appreciate your help in removing the ghost folder. Not
| > that it creates any trouble :-) but I'm worried if that might
| > be just a symptom of something worse happening
| > behind the scenes.

You're welcome! :-)

Gotta be a series of action you did. Accessing an ost-file as a pst-file is
strange enough already ;-)

Using scanost wasn't needed as you had recreated the ost-file already.

--

> Hi Robert,
>
> Thanks for your help. Yes, this folder is on the same level
> as the mailbox. And my pst-file, since I'm using
> the offline folder, is really an ost-file.
>
> I now created a brand new profile (without deleting the
> original one) and the rogue folder is gone!
>
> Any ideas about what created this corruption? How
> can I avoid it in the future?
>

> "Roady [MVP]" <newsgroups_DELETE_@_DELETE_sparnaaij_NO_._SPAM_net> wrote
> in
> message news:%23J7Na5YGFHA.2756@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> | Is this a folder on the same level as your mailbox or on the Inbox?
> |
> | In case of the first;
> | Create a new profile (do not copy it);
> | Control Panel-> Mail-> button Show Profiles
> |
> | To access your current pst-file in the new profile;
> | File-> Open-> Outlook Data File...
> |
> | To set it as the default delivery location;
> | Tools-> E-mail Accounts...-> button Next-> use the dropdownlist below
> |
> | --
> | Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
> | www.howto-outlook.com
> |
> | Tips of the month:
> | -What do the Outlook Icons Mean?
> | -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1
> | --
> |
> | "Jerry" <duncan_jeremy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> | > The other day I noticed that my Outlook was not
> | > synchronizing with the Exchange server, so I
> | > deleted the offline folder and then the sync went
> | > fine. For good measure, I also ran the SCANOST
> | > which detected and repaired an error:
> | >
> | > **Beginning PST/OST recovery
> | >
> | >  **Attempting to recover all top-level objects
> | >
> | >  **Attempting to walk all folders
> | >
> | >      !!Hierarchy Table for 20A2, row doesn't match sub-object:
> | >        irow = 7, RowID = 2223
> | >
> | >  **Attempting to locate any orphaned folders/messages
> | >
> | >  **Attempting to check top-level objects for consistency
> | >
> | >      ??Deleting SDO
> | >
> | > Everything apparently works fine now, but I have an extra
> | > folder just below my Mailbox - <name> stuff, that has no
> | > name (just the pers. folder icon). If I left-click on it, the
> | > error message pops up: "The set of folders could not be open.".
> | > If I right-click on the icon, I can see that it's called
> | > "<0W#25>", but if I then select the option "Close "<0W#25>"",
> | > I get the message "You cannot close the mailbox that
> | > contains your calendar, contacts, and inbox." Strange, because
> | > my calendar, contacts, and inbox are happily hanging in
> | > my Mailbox tree, where they have always been.
> | >
> | > I tried switching off the cached mode, but the problem remains,
> | > so it would appear that the server is involved. However,
> | > if I access my stuff using OWA, the ghost folder doesn't
> | > show.
> | >
> | > Will appreciate your help in removing the ghost folder. Not
> | > that it creates any trouble :-) but I'm worried if that might
> | > be just a symptom of something worse happening
> | > behind the scenes.

0
Roady

Problems recovering deleted public folder
Hi! One of our public folders in Exchange 2000 was deleted. I have the Item Recovery configured for the public folder store in question. When the user that deleted the folder tries to recover it using Outlook 2002 (Recover Deleted Items) he gets an error message saying that he does not have permission to recover the folder. When I try to recover as administrator, I cannot even see the deleted folder in Outlook. I tried to make the user Enterprise admin, and domain admin, but that did not help. Is it only the owner of the folder that can recover it, or am I doing something wrong? Best Regards...

multiple folders
all of my mail folders appear twice on the folder list. but they exist only once. any idea how I can get the display to function properly? In article <0f6e01c3c2ba$b4ab0bc0$3101280a@phx.gbl>, mfleisher@juno.com says... > all of my mail folders appear twice on the folder list. > but they exist only once. any idea how I can get the > display to function properly? > ' search from a message from me with the subject of 'Can't eliminate PST from Outlook 2003' ...

Outlook express could not be started!
When I try to open outlook express I get a pop up window with the following: "Outlook Express could not be started. The application was unable to create the Internet Account Manager. Your Computer may be out of memory or your disk is full. Contact microsoft support for further assistant. (0x800705AA)" Then I get an "OK" button fater pressing it I get another window with the following: "Outlook Express could not be started because MSOE.DLL could not be initialized. Outlook Express may not be install correctly" What do the errors mean. My comp. has enought m...

Outlook 2003 installation
I am trying to install the CRM 1.2 Outlook client on Outlook 2003. I get a message during installation saying Outlook 2003 is not supported, and when I start Outlook I get the error 'An error occurred while installing Microsoft CRM folders'. Any suggestions on which fixes need to be done in Outlook on in the installation to make it work are welcome. Rgds, Per are you a local admin on the machine? "Per Geert Nielse" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:cd1501c4392d$7eb5ed20$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I am trying to install the CRM 1.2 Out...

Outlook 2000 #175
I need to change the way Outlook shows "checking for new messages." At one time, I could click on details in the lower right-hand corner of the screen to see a progress bar. I presently don't have that option. Do you know how to change back to the previous details? Next, I always receive an error message when I send a new message or reply to a message. After clicking on the "ok button", the message is sent. I know I shouldn't have to pick this choice because I went into the settings to choose "not to check spelling." Any suggestions?? Doug ...

need to access outlook
i cant get in to my account when i open my outlook. Hi Steve, please tell us more about that error. Have you installed anything? Have you changed anything? -- Ich habe nichts gemacht, gestern gings noch! Bitte in den Newsgroup antworten damit jeder etwas davon hat. Bravestar@Datenschutzministerium.de "Steve Bersch" <sjjcb@pacbell.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:3b5a01c4727c$fdeceb10$a301280a@phx.gbl... > i cant get in to my account when i open my outlook. ...

computer updated lost all old emails and files on outlook
recently had my computer cleaned of viruses and updated with new programs including a newer version of outlook .. seem to have lost all my files containing my emails - 6 years !!!.. Need to know if they are stored on computer or via a server ,.. How do iget them back .. please help !!!!! thanks Ashley "Ashley marshall" <Ashley marshall@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BD5B4FAA-C552-44F7-B1F9-B89376F80D9A@microsoft.com... > recently had my computer cleaned of viruses and updated with new programs > including a newer version of outlook...

Cannot send to Public folders
Hi, I am currently trying to resolve a problem seding email to public folders, some people can send, it appears to be related to some groups we have created in our org. We get a delivery refused error (5.2.1) when trying to send if taken out of the group then it sends correctly. This relates to a number of groups and public folders around our org. Any points gratefully received Thanks Mark Chek permissions on the public folders - are they restricted to those groups only? -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT -------------------------------- "Mark Davey" <MarkDavey@discussions.mic...

Aggregating several public folders into a single view
I have many public folders I need to monitor for changes. I would like a single view containing posts in reverse chronological order for all the folders of interest. That way I don't have to click through each folder. Any thoughts on how to achieve this? Can it be done without programming? Doug ...

Outlook Rules Wizard unavailable
Hi, I'm trying to use the Rules Wizard on a newly installed Outlook 2002, but that option is unavailable under Tools. I've tried the KB extensively. Even tried to reinstall, to no avail. Thanks for any tips, Tim Never mind. I set up an account and the Rules Wizard became available. I was trying to avoid this so I wouldn't receive a downpour of messages without the rules being in place. Oh well. Thanks anyway, Tim >-----Original Message----- >Hi, > >I'm trying to use the Rules Wizard on a newly installed >Outlook 2002, but that option is unavail...

Outlook Security and *.url extensions
Outlook blocks *.url extensions as a level one default. Is there any way to change this setting to allow files with a URL extension? ...

Unable to Import MS Outlook Contacts
Hello, I am attempting to import 1548 MS Outlook contacts. When I go to MS CRM Contacts and select Tools => Import, then select to Import MS Outlook Contacts on 1 contact shows as available to import. Any help is very much appreciated. Correction. "Only 1 contact shows up as available to import." Could this have some thing to do with forms"? "TriEssent" wrote: > Hello, > I am attempting to import 1548 MS Outlook contacts. When I go to MS CRM > Contacts and select Tools => Import, then select to Import MS Outlook > Contacts on 1 contact ...

Using Outlook 2000...need help moving mail
We have a Micosoft Mail postoffice that we use to handle internal mail. Now we have someone at the company who has a Palm Treo 700w smartphone. He needs to get his internal and external mail. Our external mail is a POP3 server, hosted by someone else, and this person can get email sent to his internet email address. We need a way to automatically forward the mail from the MsMail postoffice to the internet email address so we don't have to have everyone at the company forced to use his external address manually. ...

How to connect existing calendar/contacts to new Outlook profile
My old Outlook profile was from Outlook 2002 (which has a limit to the size of the data file, which I was exceeding). When I exceeded the limit it would not allow me to send/receive email. Now I have Outlook 2003, but I was having the same problem. So I created a new profile & imported the data from my old pst file. However, it did not bring over my contacts or calendar items. How can I get these into my new profile? I can see them in my Outlook if I also open my old pst data file, but when I try to sync my cell phone, it syncs the new calendar/contacts which is empty. Altern...

Does outlook connector default to ssl?
I would like to make sure that my email transmissions to and from my hotmail account are secured by ssl. I'm using outlook 2003 and outlook connector with my paid hotmail account. Question: is the traffic to and from hotmail secured by ssl in outlook connector? If not, can I change the settings somehow? Or do I need to change my connection to hotmail to pop 3 in order to get ssl protection? Thanks! ...

pst file question Outlook 2002
Hi, If I export the personal folder pst file, Outlook 2002, to a folder on my slave drive, and then uninstall OL2002, and then reboot, and then re-install OL2002, and then use the import routine for the exported pst file, will all my stuff be back? The reason for this is my system hangs when I close it, and once I got an error fm OL2002 about it so I'm thining it may be causing the problem, but I don't want to uninstall/reinstall if I run the risk of loosing all my personal folders, and the info in my appointment calender, etc. TIA A You wouldn't lose your mail, contacts, ca...

Archive folder
I just migrated our Exchange 2000 servers to Exchange 2003. I'm trying to configure the IMF settings, and in the Gateway Blocking Configuration section I chose "Archive" as the "When blocking messages:" option. But I can't find the folder. The white papers say it's supposed to be in C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\mailroot\vsi 1\queue, but there's nothing there. I can't even find it by doing a Start > Search for the UCEArchive folder. What am I doing wrong? One level up, in vs 1. The name of the folder should be UceArchive. -Peter "Andrew&qu...

Duplicate appointments in Outlook Calendar
I imported my Calendar from my office computer. When importing I selected the box not to duplicate appointments, but that is exactly what I got. I also received duplicate holidays past and present. This makes for a very nasty calendar. I want to delete all of the duplicate appointments without having to remove Office XP. Is there any way to perform this task? ...

View 2 Exchange accounts with 2 Outlook instances
I have 2 Exchange accounts, 1 with company A and another with company B. Today, I need to logout of one account and login the other when checking email messages. Is there a way to have 2 instances of Outlook (or something) that would display email from company A in 1 and company B in the other? ...

Outlook API emulator?
We have recently purchased an order management program that we have now discovered requires Outlook in order to send email to customers. We neither have nor want Outlook. Is there an Outlook API emulator or some such program out there that will relay the mail via SMTP? That's all we'd need. Thanks! JA "John A." <no.john@spammers.virginiaquilter.allowed.com> wrote in message news:g21dl1dpm8ud9i5sd9dlg515hjkgr5apnt@4ax.com... > We have recently purchased an order management program that we have > now discovered requires Outlook in order to send email to custome...

"locate link browser" issue with Outlook 2003, but ONLY WITH OUTBIND in the URL
This is a case of the "Locate Link Browser" problem, but it is specific to emails received with URL's that contain Outbind in the address. I have been getting emails from AZFamily's website, AZFamily,com for several months. Since I switched to a new PC,whenever I click on their links to news stories, I get the "Locate Link Browser" dialog instead of the news story. I do not get the "Locate Link Browser" message for any other links within emails, nor do I have this problem when I use the browser itself. I have applied the usual fixes from Microsoft and/or...

Can't send or receive email in Outlook 2003 since last Windows Update KB911567
Since the last Windows Update I can't send or receive email! I just get an "Unknown Error: 0x8007007F message after each account fails to connect. In the Email accounts where I can "Test Account Settings..." both "Find outgoing mail server (SMTP)" and "Find incoming mail server (POP3)" report "Cancelled". I've gone through each update and uninstalled each, one by one, rebooted, then tried Outlook 2003 again. I uninstalled KB911562 (XP) that wasn't it. I then uninstalled KB911567 (Outlook Express update), rebooted and tried Outlook 20...

what is Outlook.exe process that keeps running
I'm using OL2000 on an XP machine. When I quit Outlook, there is a process that keeps running, Outlook.exe. My guess is it keeps receiving email when I'm not in Outlook. I don't need that and it seems to complicate things when I need to shut communications programs down, thanks Kozmo This article has a long list of programs that work with Outlook and can cause this problem: http://www.slipstick.com/problems/close.htm -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the messa...

Outlook 2003 Keeps Downloading the Same Messages
I'm running Outlook 2003. It keeps downloading the same messages from the POP server. I do have it set to leave messages on the server, because I also need to access from another computer. If I manually enter the mailbox (through a webmail interface), and remove the messages, it works for a little while. It seems after there get to be about 100 or 150 messages in the box, however, it errors out on downloading past that message. After that, every time it checks it downloads those first 100-150 messages again every time. I understand there is supposed to be a POP state file or something th...

outlook spam mail
Rules and junkmail options are not working. None of my incoming mail is being auto deleted. Very annoying. which version of outlook? if you leave outlook open all day, do the rules eventually work - if so, do they only fail when outlook is first opened? if you answer yes to all, it's a known issue - -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] http://www.poremsky.com - http://www.cdolive.com Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Expert Zone http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone Search for answers: http://groups.google.com Most recent posts to the Outlook newsgroups: http://groups....