A bad draft HTML e-mail that crashes Outlook 2003.

Hello.

I was working on an e-mail reply in HTML format. Now, I can't edit/reply
to it because Outlook crashes. Even copy and pasting the e-mail in HTML
format as a new e-mail crashes. The crash error said:

Faulting application outlook.exe, version 11.0.8010.0, stamp 43d16d53,
faulting module mshtml.dll, version 6.0.2900.2963, stamp 44c9f56a,
debug? 0, fault address 0x00070ef0.

I tried other HTML e-mails in edit and replying, and they weren't
crashing. Is there a way to fix this beside copying and pasting as raw
text? This is the first time I ever had this problem. I am using Outlook
2003 (v11.8010.8036) SP2 in Windows XP Pro. SP2 (all updates).

Thank you in advance.
--
Phillip Pi
Senior Software Quality Assurance Analyst

what's in the source that could be causing it?

have you tried a detect and repair?

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

"Phillip Pi" <phillip_pi@symantec.comSYMC> wrote in message
> Hello.
>
> I was working on an e-mail reply in HTML format. Now, I can't edit/reply
> to it because Outlook crashes. Even copy and pasting the e-mail in HTML
> format as a new e-mail crashes. The crash error said:
>
> Faulting application outlook.exe, version 11.0.8010.0, stamp 43d16d53,
> faulting module mshtml.dll, version 6.0.2900.2963, stamp 44c9f56a, debug?
> 0, fault address 0x00070ef0.
>

> I tried other HTML e-mails in edit and replying, and they weren't
> crashing. Is there a way to fix this beside copying and pasting as raw
> text? This is the first time I ever had this problem. I am using Outlook
> 2003 (v11.8010.8036) SP2 in Windows XP Pro. SP2 (all updates).
>
> Thank you in advance.
> --
> Phillip Pi
> Senior Software Quality Assurance Analyst
> ISP/Symantec Online Services, Consumer Business Unit
> Symantec Corporation
> www.symantec.com
> Email: phillip_pi@symantec.comSYMC (remove SYMC to reply by e-mail)
> Please do NOT e-mail me for technical support. DISCLAIMER: The views
> expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the
> views of my employer. Thank you.

0
outlookmvp (5838)
9/21/2006 10:55:39 PM
On 9/21/2006 3:55 PM PT, Diane Poremsky [MVP] wrote:

I think I know what's the problem. I think my HDD is dying. I need to
check. See below in case it is not the HDD...

> what's in the source that could be causing it?

How do I view source in Outlook 2003? I don't see anything like in Web
browser's view source.

> have you tried a detect and repair?

Doesn't this detect and repair Outlook program itself, and not the
e-mails? I don't have any problems with Outlook. It is just that one
e-mail when replying OR editing it. Previewing is OK (no crash).
--
Phillip Pi
Senior Software Quality Assurance Analyst
ISP/Symantec Online Services, Consumer Business Unit
Symantec Corporation
www.symantec.com
Email: phillip_pi@symantec.comSYMC (remove SYMC to reply by e-mail)
Please do NOT e-mail me for technical support. DISCLAIMER: The views
expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the
views of my employer. Thank you.
0
phillip_pi (23)
9/22/2006 1:13:07 AM
right click on the original message and view source or save the draft as
html and view it in notepad - there could be something in it that is not
supported by outlook. the error in mshtml.dll indicates it is something with
the html editing process which leads me to think it's just bad html.

detect and repair may fix and bad dlls - which could be contributing to the
mshtml.dll problem. if you think it's the email itself, use scanpst on the
message store.

--

> On 9/21/2006 3:55 PM PT, Diane Poremsky [MVP] wrote:
>
> I think I know what's the problem. I think my HDD is dying. I need to
> check. See below in case it is not the HDD...
>
>> what's in the source that could be causing it?
>
> How do I view source in Outlook 2003? I don't see anything like in Web
> browser's view source.
>

>> have you tried a detect and repair?
>
> Doesn't this detect and repair Outlook program itself, and not the
> e-mails? I don't have any problems with Outlook. It is just that one
> e-mail when replying OR editing it. Previewing is OK (no crash).
> --
> Phillip Pi
> Senior Software Quality Assurance Analyst
> ISP/Symantec Online Services, Consumer Business Unit
> Symantec Corporation
> www.symantec.com
> Email: phillip_pi@symantec.comSYMC (remove SYMC to reply by e-mail)
> Please do NOT e-mail me for technical support. DISCLAIMER: The views
> expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the
> views of my employer. Thank you.

0
outlookmvp (5838)
9/23/2006 3:11:29 PM
Ah, thanks. I also viewed it in IE6.0 SP2 without any problems. I guess
Outlook hates it. I was able to copy my texts and make a new HTML e-mail.