2 home PC's networked - 1 copy of outlook possibe?

Hi folks,

Here's my problem ... i have two PC's in my house and thet are newworked,
but they both were stand-alone for a long time.   First question - is it
possible to 'merge' the email folders on them (contacts already the same by
using phone / activesynch) and secondly, is it possible to have only one
copy of iutlook active in future, no matter which PC i work on (so all the
emails and replies will be in the same place )?

Many thanks and seasons greetings to all,

Garry
+353 87 238 5832
Ireland

Garry Kennedy <garrykennedy@pobox.com> wrote:

> Here's my problem ... i have two PC's in my house and thet are
> newworked, but they both were stand-alone for a long time.   First
> question - is it possible to 'merge' the email folders on them
> (contacts already the same by using phone / activesynch)

Yes.

> and
> secondly, is it possible to have only one copy of iutlook active in
> future, no matter which PC i work on (so all the emails and replies
> will be in the same place )?

No.  You can't run the exact same Outlook on two PCs.  It must be installed
on each PC.  Whether you can do that legally or not is covered by your EULA.
TYpically, if you purchase a retail license of Outlook (i.e., not an OEM
license that came with your PC bundle), you can install Outlook on one
desktop and one laptop, provided the purchaser is also the main user of each
PC.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16052)
12/17/2007 3:09:24 PM
So how do I megre the email folders then?

> Garry Kennedy <garrykennedy@pobox.com> wrote:
>
>> Here's my problem ... i have two PC's in my house and thet are
>> newworked, but they both were stand-alone for a long time.   First
>> question - is it possible to 'merge' the email folders on them
>> (contacts already the same by using phone / activesynch)
>
> Yes.
>
>> and
>> secondly, is it possible to have only one copy of iutlook active in
>> future, no matter which PC i work on (so all the emails and replies
>> will be in the same place )?
>
> No.  You can't run the exact same Outlook on two PCs.  It must be
> installed on each PC.  Whether you can do that legally or not is covered
> by your EULA. TYpically, if you purchase a retail license of Outlook
> (i.e., not an OEM license that came with your PC bundle), you can install
> Outlook on one desktop and one laptop, provided the purchaser is also the
> main user of each PC.
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Garry Kennedy <garrykennedy@pobox.com> wrote:

> So how do I megre the email folders then?

Copy the PST from one PC to the hard drive of the other.  On that PC, open
both existing PSTs in the same Outlook and copy the contents of one to the
other.

Additional informaiton here: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/sync.asp
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16052)
12/17/2007 9:35:58 PM
Can't find a pst file .... think i'll just give up on the idea

> Garry Kennedy <garrykennedy@pobox.com> wrote:
>
>> So how do I megre the email folders then?
>
> Copy the PST from one PC to the hard drive of the other.  On that PC, open
> both existing PSTs in the same Outlook and copy the contents of one to the
> other.
>
> Additional informaiton here: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/sync.asp
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Garry Kennedy <garrykennedy@pobox.com> wrote:

> Can't find a pst file .... think i'll just give up on the idea

The PST is in a hidden folder.  Enable viewing of hidden files and folders
and you should be able to find it.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16052)
> Garry Kennedy <garrykennedy@pobox.com> wrote:
>

> No.  You can't run the exact same Outlook on two PCs.  It must be
> installed

Wrong. That depends on the Outlook. I have Office 2007 Academic and it says,
on the back cover that it (includes Outlook) may legally be put on 3 PCs.

0
lrb1 (101)
1/5/2008 12:12:57 PM
"Diamontina Cocktail" <lrb@australia.com> wrote in message

> "Brian Tillman" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Garry Kennedy <garrykennedy@pobox.com> wrote:
>>

>> No.  You can't run the exact same Outlook on two PCs.  It must be
>> installed
>
> Wrong. That depends on the Outlook. I have Office 2007 Academic and it
> says, on the back cover that it (includes Outlook) may legally be put on 3
> PCs.

I think you have been confused by the OPs lack of detail. What Brian meant
is that you can't have ONE installation of Outlook on one PC and run that
from another - the OP has to have two instances of outlook installed, one on
each PC.

0
gbplinux (1141)
1/5/2008 1:20:26 PM
"Gordon" <gbplinux@gmail.com.invalid> wrote in message
> "Diamontina Cocktail" <lrb@australia.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Brian Tillman" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Garry Kennedy <garrykennedy@pobox.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> No.  You can't run the exact same Outlook on two PCs.  It must be
>>> installed
>>
>> Wrong. That depends on the Outlook. I have Office 2007 Academic and it
>> says, on the back cover that it (includes Outlook) may legally be put on
>> 3 PCs.
>>

> I think you have been confused by the OPs lack of detail. What Brian meant
> is that you can't have ONE installation of Outlook on one PC and run that
> from another - the OP has to have two instances of outlook installed, one
> on each PC.

Well if that is the case even that is wrong. I have used VNC in the past to
run Outlook on one machine from another and since going Vista use its own
remote control to do that now and then. In that way, I can run Outlook on
one machine from another. However, wanting the same email on both machines
means that I have to set both up to only delete from server if the email is
deleted from the deleted box. Works well that way in the face of no server
program.

0
lrb1 (101)
1/6/2008 12:04:43 PM

> "Gordon" <gbplinux@gmail.com.invalid> wrote in message
>> "Diamontina Cocktail" <lrb@australia.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Brian Tillman" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> Wrong. That depends on the Outlook. I have Office 2007 Academic and it
>>> says, on the back cover that it (includes Outlook) may legally be put on
>>> 3 PCs.
>>>

>> I think you have been confused by the OPs lack of detail. What Brian
>> meant is that you can't have ONE installation of Outlook on one PC and
>> run that from another - the OP has to have two instances of outlook
>> installed, one on each PC.
>>

> Well if that is the case even that is wrong.
No it's not - VNC is NOT running one instance of Outlook on another
computer - it's running Outlook on the computer on which it is installed,
remotely. just the same as Remote Desktop. the program is NOT running on the
computer from which you are controlling it...

0
gbplinux (1141)
1/6/2008 2:01:33 PM
Diamontina Cocktail <lrb@australia.com> wrote:

> Well if that is the case even that is wrong. I have used VNC in the
> past to run Outlook on one machine from another and since going Vista
> use its own remote control to do that now and then.

Clearly you don't understand how VNC or RDC work.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
0
> "Diamontina Cocktail" <lrb@australia.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Gordon" <gbplinux@gmail.com.invalid> wrote in message
>>> "Diamontina Cocktail" <lrb@australia.com> wrote in message

>>> I think you have been confused by the OPs lack of detail. What Brian
>>> meant is that you can't have ONE installation of Outlook on one PC and
>>> run that from another - the OP has to have two instances of outlook
>>> installed, one on each PC.
>>>

>> Well if that is the case even that is wrong.
> No it's not - VNC is NOT running one instance of Outlook on another
> computer -

Errr...VNC is allowing me to run one instance of Outlook on another
computer. VNC doesnt actually run it by itself but allows remote control so
you CAN run one instance of outlook on another computer the same as if you
were sitting in front of it.

That is true but it still answers what you said above, that being:

"What Brian meant is that you can't have ONE installation of Outlook on one
PC and run that from another - the OP has to have two instances of outlook
installed, one on each PC."

With VNC you DO (and I copy and paste here) "have ONE installation of
Outlook on one PC and run that from another".

I load VNC from this computer and run Outlook on the computer to which I
connect.

0
lrb1 (101)
> Diamontina Cocktail <lrb@australia.com> wrote:
>
>> Well if that is the case even that is wrong. I have used VNC in the
>> past to run Outlook on one machine from another and since going Vista
>> use its own remote control to do that now and then.
>
> Clearly you don't understand how VNC or RDC work.
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Clearly not. I use them. So therefore, I don't understand them. I HAVE used
XP RDC and found it lacking and so went to VNC ( which I use on many clients
on internal networks) but wasn't happy with the security aspect of it. So, I
decided to go commercial and went to secure.logmein.com where I was happier
(though nothing is perfect) with security there and use RDC from there to
control external networked machines on a variety of different companies from
heavy industry to accountancy to medical practices so SURE by your reckoning
I MUST know nothing.

Are you just TRYING to be an ass because you sure come across sounding like
all you want to do is flame.

0
lrb1 (101)
1/8/2008 11:25:53 AM
Diamontina Cocktail <lrb@australia.com> wrote:

> Errr...VNC is allowing me to run one instance of Outlook on another
> computer.

No, it didn't.  It allowed you to run Outlook on the remote computer where
it was licensed.  That's not the same thing as running on the computer to
which the keyboard where you were working was attached.

> VNC doesnt actually run it by itself but allows remote
> control so you CAN run one instance of outlook on another computer
> the same as if you were sitting in front of it.

Wrong.

> That is true but it still answers what you said above, that being:
>
> "What Brian meant is that you can't have ONE installation of Outlook
> on one PC and run that from another - the OP has to have two
> instances of outlook installed, one on each PC."
>
> With VNC you DO (and I copy and paste here) "have ONE installation of
> Outlook on one PC and run that from another".

No you don't.  You control the remote PC, but Outlook still runs on the
remote PC as though you were sitting at its screen and keyboard.  Outlook
does NOT run on the controoling machine.  Outlook is still running on only
one machine.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16052)
1/8/2008 1:22:51 PM
Diamontina Cocktail <lrb@australia.com> wrote:

> Clearly not. I use them. So therefore, I don't understand them.

This is a true statement, as all of your posts so far prove.  When you use
RDC or VNC, you do NOT run the programs on the remote machine on the local
machine.  They still run on one and only one machine - the remote one.  One
license and once instance of the program.  This is NOT what the OP was
talking about.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16052)

Max number of Rules in Outlook
Hi everyone: Just a simple question that may be a common curiosity: does anyone know what is the max number of rules I can set up in Outlook? I have reached about 70 rules and the I get the message that there is no further space on the server. Maybe it is just a matter of room and the number it is not a limitation? Thanks for answering. Cheers That's it indeed; you can only store up to 32KB of e-mail rules. Disabled rules don't count but you're properly better of combining some rules or see if they are still needed. -- Roady [MVP] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the mo...

Lookup based on criteria in 2 columns

Outlook needs Outlook Express to work

Microsoft POS #2

Outlook 2003 keeps crashing #2

Rollup 2 and Office 2007

copy my vb project... is it as easy as copying the directory..
Hi, I want to take a copy of a project so I have two projects the same.. the idea is i can play around with one, and not effect the original.. is it as easy as just using file explorer to copy the directory from say c:\project1 to c:\project2... or do the project files like forms etc have paths in them and therefore I can't just copy like this.. thanks "AussieRules" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:uzrSvxp6KHA.5112@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I want to take a copy of a project so I have two projects the same.. the > i...

Excel 2007

Looking for XPathReader 1.1
Where is XPathReader 1.1 available for download? I have 1.0 and found the 2005 MS announcement for 1.1 but the link was for godotnet which no longer exists. Nothing shows up in a search at the MS download center or Google. Bill ...

Outlook 2003 and "Check Names"

Copy entire row where CellValue=0

Crash on 'Send"

upgrade from mac office to pc?