.PST file won't open, "is not a personal folders file" error

My problem is the same as the one in this forum
http://forums.thatcomputerguy.us/lofiversion/index.php/t7672.html
I've got XP Pro with Office 2000.

I was moving data around new hard drives (onto a new 250GB one) when in
the middle of copying, the hard drive died - it will not power on
(won't even get warm when plugged in).  I was able to recover a fairly
recent one using a program called r-studio (http://www.r-studio.com/)
from another drive which used to hold that file.  My .pst file is
slightly over 1GB in size.

When opening this .pst or importing a .pst file, it says:
"Properties for this information service must be defined prior to use"
and then:
"the file" _______.pst "is not a personal folders file"

Things I tried:
- Verify read only is unchecked in file properties
- Check and uncheck the archive checkbox in file properties
- The inbox repair tool (does the repair, then when opened comes up
empty in Outlook).
- Logging into safe mode as administrator and trying all the above.
- Tried importing into Outlook 2002 on another machine (same error
messages)
- Tried importing mail into Outlook Express (didn't see it)
- Downloaded EasyRecovery Professional Trial (http://www.ontrack.com/)
Didn't fix.
- Downloaded Search and Recover 2 (http://www.iolo.com/sr/2/) Didn't
fix.

Any ideas?  Alternately, what can be done to resurrect a hard drive
which doesn't start up at all (or maybe got too hot).  Are there
services to get this stuff back, and is it pricey?  I've got about 30GB
of data on a 60GB drive that's dead.

0
edperrin (1)

I am having the same problem as are the people in the thread that Pinchy
quotes.

I can import .PST files that have been saved to my backup drive but if I
then save them to disc and try to import them (either direct from the disc or
by moving them back on to the hard drive) I get a similar error message.

I have tried it on two computers running xp home and xp pro and using two
different CD writing software.  My files do not have read only attribute
ticked before I save them.  My .pst files are relatively small.  I get the
same error message. I have Outlook 2000 on one machine and Outlook 2003 on
the other machine.

I have used discs to store .PST files in the past and it has been successful.

Pinchy <edperrin@gmail.com> wrote:

> Things I tried:
> - Verify read only is unchecked in file properties
> - Check and uncheck the archive checkbox in file properties
> - The inbox repair tool (does the repair, then when opened comes up
> empty in Outlook).
> - Logging into safe mode as administrator and trying all the above.
> - Tried importing into Outlook 2002 on another machine (same error
> messages)
> - Tried importing mail into Outlook Express (didn't see it)
> - Downloaded EasyRecovery Professional Trial (http://www.ontrack.com/)
> Didn't fix.
> - Downloaded Search and Recover 2 (http://www.iolo.com/sr/2/) Didn't
> fix.

Your PST is toast, since you've done what you can to recover it.
--
Brian Tillman
0

".pst is not a personal folders file"
Bought a new computer when hard drive died. Luckily I had a recent backup of data. Copied my data files over to my new computer, including the Outlook.pst I have been using in Outlook 2003 just fine. Got Outlook 2003 up and running just fine, except .... Regardless of what I do, I cannot get Outlook to open the Outlook.pst file. I keep getting an error that says "Outlook.pst is not a personal folders file". I've tried opening it as the new format, as the old format, tried importing it, etc... Outlook won't accept it any way. So I thought that file might be ...

"Outlook.pst is not a personal folders file"
I made a back up copy of my outlook to a cd. Now I am trying top import/add from the back up to another computer. I moved the file from the cd to the new computer and trying to import from there. It doesn't allow me to do so and gives me this error message: "Outlook.pst is not a personal folders file". Can anybody help me with that, PLEASE?!?!?!?!? I think the root cause should be the name of "outlook.pst", you know ,the outlook account is sorted by your username,and its datafile, the *.pst eexactly ,should work in your account,rename the "outlook.pst" ...

Outlook.pst is not a personal folders file
When I opened Outlook 2002 recently, the .pst file would not open. When I went to Windows Explore and viewed .pst files I found that the most recent .pst file was named outlook1.pst. I tried to import that file back into Outlook, the message was that outlook1.pst file is not a personal folders file. I was able to import a .pst file backed up 2 months ago. Thus, i have lost info in the intervening time. Is it possible to repair the outlook1.pst file so that it can be imported back into Outlook. Thanks. ...

mailbox.pst is not a personal folders file
Hello, One of my users receives the following message when he tries to open up his Microsoft Outlook 2000: The action could not be completed. The file ...\mailbox.pst is not a personal folders file. It was working earlier in the day how could mailbox.pst not be a personal folders file anymore? What can I do to make it a personal folders file again? Thanks. Make sure the path is correct. If outlook is trying to load from a path to the user's profile, and that profile has changed, been moved, copied, etc. the path will be wrong. So, Double-check that full path, and search the...

'Outlook.pst is not a personal folders file'
My partner went to open her Outlook this morning (O2003, XPPro), and got the message: "Unable to start processing services. The file c:\...\Outlook\Outlook.pst is not a personal folders file" When Outlook is opened from a desktop shortcut, the error message comes up once the Outlook window has opened, but a shortcut on the taskbar gives this message before Outlook can load. I notice in Windows Explorer that in the Outlook folder: the dates on her yearly archives seem to be updated each time Outlook is opened, and the contents of these is still intact; but the date on the Ou...

outlook.pst is not a personal folders file #2
I formatted my hard-drive and backed up my .pst file... However, now that I have reinstalled Outlook and I try to open my original .pst file I get an error that says "outlook.pst is not a personal folders file" Any ideas???? thanks, John How did you back up the file? Did you place it on a CD? -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Johnny" <mayisuggest@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:034401c3b629$19ff6c30$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I formatted my hard-drive and backed up my .pst file... > > However, now that I have reinstalled Outlook and I try to > open ...