"Your message....was read"

I've got a user who claims that every time she sends a message to a
particular group of people (about 20), she always gets a read receipt email
from somebody it wasn't sent to.  I've checked all the recipients mailboxes
and i can't find any rules or delegate access that would account for this.

I tracked the message on the Exchange server (2000/SP3) and the only thing
it shows is that she definitely sent the message and the unintended
recipient definitely received it.  Based on the tracking info it looks like
she intended to send him the message, but looking at the email directly you
can see that she clearly did not.

Is there a simple way i can track down how this message is being
misdirected?  All parties are using Outlook2k3/SP1.  We're running
Exchange2K in native mode.

Thanks in advance!

*Incidentally, this KB article was no help at all:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;222163

0
jim3476 (230)

Hi Jim,

It is most likly that the email is being sent to the unwanted user thru one
of three means:

1) Nested DL:
Ensure that if there are DLs within the DL that the Originator is sending to
that the unintended recipient does not exisit in any of nested DLs or any
DLs nested within the nested DLs

2) AD side configuration to forward all mail to mailbox X:
It is possible that one of the users in the DL has been configured in AD to
have all of their mail forwarded to a given user, contact, or DL.  You can
check this by looking at the properties of all of the users in the DL in AD
and looking at the Exchange General Tab under Delivery Options.  You will
want to look for the forwarding address.

3) Someone has configured a rule that forward the email to the unintended
recipient:

For #3 or for other forwarding you may need to go thru a process of
elimination.  Take all of the users out of the DL except one ... send a test
messages from the originators outlook to the DL ... Repeat for each user in
the DL until you locate the users that is causing the email to get sent to
the unintended recipient.

Hope this helps,
--
Matthew Byrd
Microsoft PSS

"jim" <jim@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> I've got a user who claims that every time she sends a message to a
> particular group of people (about 20), she always gets a read receipt
> email
> from somebody it wasn't sent to.  I've checked all the recipients
> mailboxes
> and i can't find any rules or delegate access that would account for this.
>
> I tracked the message on the Exchange server (2000/SP3) and the only thing
> it shows is that she definitely sent the message and the unintended
> recipient definitely received it.  Based on the tracking info it looks
> like
> she intended to send him the message, but looking at the email directly
> you
> can see that she clearly did not.
>
> Is there a simple way i can track down how this message is being
> misdirected?  All parties are using Outlook2k3/SP1.  We're running
> Exchange2K in native mode.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> *Incidentally, this KB article was no help at all:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;222163

0
matbyrd (120)
3/3/2005 6:56:04 PM
So there's no simple way to track the path of the message?  It's going to
take a while to parse through every mailbox.

"Matthew Byrd [MSFT]" <matbyrd@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Jim,
>
> It is most likly that the email is being sent to the unwanted user thru
one
> of three means:
>
> 1) Nested DL:
> Ensure that if there are DLs within the DL that the Originator is sending
> that the unintended recipient does not exisit in any of nested DLs or any
> DLs nested within the nested DLs
>
> 2) AD side configuration to forward all mail to mailbox X:
> It is possible that one of the users in the DL has been configured in AD
> have all of their mail forwarded to a given user, contact, or DL.  You can
> check this by looking at the properties of all of the users in the DL in
AD
> and looking at the Exchange General Tab under Delivery Options.  You will
> want to look for the forwarding address.
>
> 3) Someone has configured a rule that forward the email to the unintended
> recipient:
>
> For #3 or for other forwarding you may need to go thru a process of
> elimination.  Take all of the users out of the DL except one ... send a
test
> messages from the originators outlook to the DL ... Repeat for each user
in
> the DL until you locate the users that is causing the email to get sent to
> the unintended recipient.
>
> Hope this helps,
> --
> Matthew Byrd
> Microsoft PSS

rights.

> "jim" <jim@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> > I've got a user who claims that every time she sends a message to a
> > particular group of people (about 20), she always gets a read receipt
> > email
> > from somebody it wasn't sent to.  I've checked all the recipients
> > mailboxes
> > and i can't find any rules or delegate access that would account for
this.

> > I tracked the message on the Exchange server (2000/SP3) and the only
thing
> > it shows is that she definitely sent the message and the unintended
> > recipient definitely received it.  Based on the tracking info it looks
> > like
> > she intended to send him the message, but looking at the email directly
> > you
> > can see that she clearly did not.
> >
> > Is there a simple way i can track down how this message is being
> > misdirected?  All parties are using Outlook2k3/SP1.  We're running
> > Exchange2K in native mode.
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> >
> > *Incidentally, this KB article was no help at all:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;222163

0
jim3476 (230)
3/3/2005 8:02:36 PM
Unless the group is very large, have the person send 1 message (separately)
to each recipient. Who ever has the setup will generate the second receipt.

> [...]
>> > mailboxes
>> > and i can't find any rules or delegate access that would account for
> this.
>> >
>> > I tracked the message on the Exchange server (2000/SP3) and the only
> thing
>> > it shows is that she definitely sent the message and the unintended
>> > recipient definitely received it.  Based on the tracking info it looks
>> > like
>> > she intended to send him the message, but looking at the email directly
>> > you
>> > can see that she clearly did not.
>> >
>> > Is there a simple way i can track down how this message is being
>> > misdirected?  All parties are using Outlook2k3/SP1.  We're running
>> > Exchange2K in native mode.
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance!
>> >
>> > *Incidentally, this KB article was no help at all:

or just save some time and do a general process of elimination... send 1
message to half the users, another to the 2nd half, see which message gets
the return from. keep cutting users in half till you've narrowed it down...
it's allot faster then one by one.

"Jim Schwartz" <shamusnc@not.spam.earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Unless the group is very large, have the person send 1 message
> (separately) to each recipient. Who ever has the setup will generate the
> second receipt.
>
> "jim" <jim@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
>> So there's no simple way to track the path of the message?  It's going to
>> take a while to parse through every mailbox.
>>

>> "Matthew Byrd [MSFT]" <matbyrd@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi Jim,
>>>
>>> It is most likly that the email is being sent to the unwanted user thru
>> one
>>> of three means:
>>>
>>> 1) Nested DL:
>>> Ensure that if there are DLs within the DL that the Originator is
>>> sending
>>> that the unintended recipient does not exisit in any of nested DLs or
>>> any
>>> DLs nested within the nested DLs
>>>
>>> 2) AD side configuration to forward all mail to mailbox X:
>>> It is possible that one of the users in the DL has been configured in AD
>>> have all of their mail forwarded to a given user, contact, or DL.  You
>>> can
>>> check this by looking at the properties of all of the users in the DL in
>> AD
>>> and looking at the Exchange General Tab under Delivery Options.  You
>>> will
>>> want to look for the forwarding address.
>>>
>>> 3) Someone has configured a rule that forward the email to the
>>> unintended
>>> recipient:
>>>
>>> For #3 or for other forwarding you may need to go thru a process of
>>> elimination.  Take all of the users out of the DL except one ... send a
>> test
>>> messages from the originators outlook to the DL ... Repeat for each user
>> in
>>> the DL until you locate the users that is causing the email to get sent
>>> the unintended recipient.
>>>
>>> Hope this helps,
>>> --
>>> Matthew Byrd
>>> Microsoft PSS
>>>
>>> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
>>> that others may learn and benefit from your issue.

>> rights.
>>>

>>> "jim" <jim@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
>> this.

>> thing