'Signature for new messages' which won't work

Hi, I have Outlook 2003 and if I go to Tools>Options>Mail Format I see I can
choose a signature for new messages.

I have 3 e-mail accounts set up, and have set a new message signature for
each one, e.g.:
1)    Home    > Sig 1    (default)
2)    Work    > Sig 2
3)    Play    > Sig 3

However when I try to create a new e-mail message, it seems impossible to
automatically start a new e-mail using my Work or Play accounts, and
therefore have the signature automatically entered.

So what is the point of this feature if there is no way to use it?  I'm sure
I'm missing something, so anyone who has worked it out (because it isn't
obvious!) please speak up :)
--
Thanks.

CJSnet

(Remove TEETH to reply by e-mail.)

0
usenet2815 (51)

Anyone??

"CJSnet" <usenet@TEETHthe-simpson.tv> wrote in message
> Hi, I have Outlook 2003 and if I go to Tools>Options>Mail Format I see I
> can choose a signature for new messages.
>
> I have 3 e-mail accounts set up, and have set a new message signature for
> each one, e.g.:
> 1)    Home    > Sig 1    (default)
> 2)    Work    > Sig 2
> 3)    Play    > Sig 3
>
> However when I try to create a new e-mail message, it seems impossible to
> automatically start a new e-mail using my Work or Play accounts, and
> therefore have the signature automatically entered.
>
> So what is the point of this feature if there is no way to use it?  I'm
> sure I'm missing something, so anyone who has worked it out (because it
> isn't obvious!) please speak up :)
> --
> Thanks.
>
> CJSnet
>
> (Remove TEETH to reply by e-mail.)

0
usenet2815 (51)
7/10/2004 5:09:53 PM
Use Word as the message editor.

--�
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, CJSnet asked:

| Anyone??
|
| "CJSnet" <usenet@TEETHthe-simpson.tv> wrote in message
|| Hi, I have Outlook 2003 and if I go to Tools>Options>Mail Format I
|| see I can choose a signature for new messages.
|| I have 3 e-mail accounts set up, and have set a new message
|| signature for each one, e.g.:
|| 1)    Home    > Sig 1    (default)
|| 2)    Work    > Sig 2
|| 3)    Play    > Sig 3
|| However when I try to create a new e-mail message, it seems
|| impossible to automatically start a new e-mail using my Work or Play
|| accounts, and therefore have the signature automatically entered.
|| So what is the point of this feature if there is no way to use it?
|| I'm sure I'm missing something, so anyone who has worked it out
|| (because it isn't obvious!) please speak up :)
|| --
|| Thanks.
|| CJSnet
|| (Remove TEETH to reply by e-mail.)

0
MillyS9060 (3207)
7/11/2004 3:54:09 PM
Outlook is not clairvoyant. It does not know which account you intend to use
to send your message when you open a new message window. Accordingly, it
opens with your default sig. To change it, R click it and select another
from the dropdown.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
> Anyone??
>
> "CJSnet" <usenet@TEETHthe-simpson.tv> wrote in message
> > Hi, I have Outlook 2003 and if I go to Tools>Options>Mail Format I see I
> > can choose a signature for new messages.
> >
> > I have 3 e-mail accounts set up, and have set a new message signature
for
> > each one, e.g.:
> > 1)    Home    > Sig 1    (default)
> > 2)    Work    > Sig 2
> > 3)    Play    > Sig 3
> >
> > However when I try to create a new e-mail message, it seems impossible
> > automatically start a new e-mail using my Work or Play accounts, and
> > therefore have the signature automatically entered.
> >
> > So what is the point of this feature if there is no way to use it?  I'm
> > sure I'm missing something, so anyone who has worked it out (because it
> > isn't obvious!) please speak up :)
> > --
> > Thanks.
> >
> > CJSnet
> >
> > (Remove TEETH to reply by e-mail.)

0
russval (3097)
7/11/2004 4:21:32 PM
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] wrote:

> Outlook is not clairvoyant. It does not know which account you intend to use
> to send your message when you open a new message window. Accordingly, it
> opens with your default sig. To change it, R click it and select another
> from the dropdown.

Well, it's not that outlandish a request.  Some newsreaders are very
good with this - you can easily associate a signature with a particular
group.  It's not far fetched to have one signature associated with each
account...

If the three accounts are all separate then Outlook should easily be
able to tell where the message is that is being replied to, and choose
the appropriate signature.

It may not be easy if mail from three POP accounts is being downloaded
to the local INBOX.  Then ofcourse, Outlook cannot tell which signature
should be used.

Opinions?

--
Himanshu (Please remove XXX from my email address to reply by email)
0
wrote:

>Opinions?

One could certainly do it programatically. www.outlookcode.com should
get you started towards builting an add-in.

--
Chris Scharff
MessageOne

-- ROT13 for valid SMTP address --
It's not a reasonable request at all. In a newsreader, you are sleeting the
"account" in advance of creating a message, so of course it's easy to create
a message with the correct signature. If you have three accounts in Outlook
and have not designated in advance which account you are going to use to
send the message, how do you expect Outlook to select the correct signature?
You're asking for clairvoyance here.

User should turn off automatic sig, then insert the sig based on which
account he decides to use. Or use Chris' suggestion to insert a sig
programmatically once the sending account is designated.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"H Gohel" <gohel@babbage.csee.usf.eduXXX> wrote in message
> Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] wrote:
>
> > Outlook is not clairvoyant. It does not know which account you intend to
use
> > to send your message when you open a new message window. Accordingly, it
> > opens with your default sig. To change it, R click it and select another
> > from the dropdown.
>
> Well, it's not that outlandish a request.  Some newsreaders are very
> good with this - you can easily associate a signature with a particular
> group.  It's not far fetched to have one signature associated with each
> account...
>
> If the three accounts are all separate then Outlook should easily be
> able to tell where the message is that is being replied to, and choose
> the appropriate signature.
>
> It may not be easy if mail from three POP accounts is being downloaded
> to the local INBOX.  Then ofcourse, Outlook cannot tell which signature
> should be used.
>
> Opinions?
>
> --
> Himanshu (Please remove XXX from my email address to reply by email)

0
russval (3097)
7/11/2004 6:13:49 PM
See my previous reply - use Word as the editor and you can easily associate
a signature with a mail account.

Post back if you have any problems *after* trying this method.

--�
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, H Gohel asked:

| Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] wrote:
|
|| Outlook is not clairvoyant. It does not know which account you
|| intend to use to send your message when you open a new message
|| window. Accordingly, it opens with your default sig. To change it, R
|| click it and select another from the dropdown.
|
| Well, it's not that outlandish a request.  Some newsreaders are very
| good with this - you can easily associate a signature with a
| particular group.  It's not far fetched to have one signature
| associated with each account...
|
| If the three accounts are all separate then Outlook should easily be
| able to tell where the message is that is being replied to, and choose
| the appropriate signature.
|
| It may not be easy if mail from three POP accounts is being downloaded
| to the local INBOX.  Then ofcourse, Outlook cannot tell which
| signature should be used.
|
| Opinions?

0
MillyS9060 (3207)
7/11/2004 8:07:45 PM
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] wrote:

 > It's not a reasonable request at all. In a newsreader, you are
 > sleeting the "account" in advance of creating a message, so of course
 > it's easy to create a message with the correct signature. If you have
 > three accounts in Outlook and have not designated in advance which
 > account you are going to use to send the message, how do you expect
 > Outlook to select the correct signature?
 > You're asking for clairvoyance here.

Russ,

We are looking at the problem from two different views -

+ You're looking at a signature based on the *outgoing* mail server/account
+ I'm looking at a signature based on which account the *incoming*
message was in.

My suggestion may or may not be good enough for the original poster, but
it seems to me that a per-account signature would work based on which
account you're reading mail in.  It would not matter which account is
used to deliver the mail, the signature would be based on which mail
account contained the mail when Reply was selected.

The comparison to the newsreader was by equating a newsgroup to an
Outlook incoming email account.  The outgoing server may or may not be
the same for all accounts.

Himanshu

--
Himanshu (Please remove XXX from my email address to reply by email)
0
gohel1 (65)
7/11/2004 8:12:03 PM
As I read the post, I don't think that's the question. OP said he'd already
created signatures associated with each account. His question was how to get
Outlook to assign the correct signature to a message before he designates
which account he is using.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
wrote in message news:us%23N8K4ZEHA.716@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> See my previous reply - use Word as the editor and you can easily
associate
> a signature with a mail account.
>
> Post back if you have any problems *after* trying this method.
>
> --�
> Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

> After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, H Gohel asked:
>
> | Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] wrote:
> |
> || Outlook is not clairvoyant. It does not know which account you
> || intend to use to send your message when you open a new message
> || window. Accordingly, it opens with your default sig. To change it, R
> || click it and select another from the dropdown.
> |
> | Well, it's not that outlandish a request.  Some newsreaders are very
> | good with this - you can easily associate a signature with a
> | particular group.  It's not far fetched to have one signature
> | associated with each account...
> |
> | If the three accounts are all separate then Outlook should easily be
> | able to tell where the message is that is being replied to, and choose
> | the appropriate signature.
> |
> | It may not be easy if mail from three POP accounts is being downloaded
> | to the local INBOX.  Then ofcourse, Outlook cannot tell which
> | signature should be used.
> |
> | Opinions?

0
russval (3097)
7/11/2004 8:15:02 PM
Ah, I see now - it was rather confusing.  However, he can still select the
signature once he selects the sending account using the Accounts button.  I
guess I am not understanding why actually having to *select* some
options/actions is such a hard thing to do.

--�
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook] asked:

| As I read the post, I don't think that's the question. OP said he'd
| already created signatures associated with each account. His question
| was how to get Outlook to assign the correct signature to a message
| before he designates which account he is using.
|| See my previous reply - use Word as the editor and you can easily
|| associate a signature with a mail account.
|| Post back if you have any problems *after* trying this method.
|| --�
|| Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
|| Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact.  Due to
|| the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my
|| personal account will be deleted without reading.
|| After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, H Gohel
|| asked:
||| Well, it's not that outlandish a request.  Some newsreaders are very
||| good with this - you can easily associate a signature with a
||| particular group.  It's not far fetched to have one signature
||| associated with each account...
||| If the three accounts are all separate then Outlook should easily be
||| able to tell where the message is that is being replied to, and
||| choose the appropriate signature.
||| It may not be easy if mail from three POP accounts is being
||| downloaded to the local INBOX.  Then ofcourse, Outlook cannot tell
||| which
||| signature should be used.
||| Opinions?

0
MillyS9060 (3207)
7/11/2004 8:25:24 PM
Me too neither.
--
wrote in message news:eJ8VzU4ZEHA.3112@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Ah, I see now - it was rather confusing.  However, he can still select the
> signature once he selects the sending account using the Accounts button.
> guess I am not understanding why actually having to *select* some
> options/actions is such a hard thing to do.
>
> --�
> Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

> After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook] asked:
>
> | As I read the post, I don't think that's the question. OP said he'd
> | already created signatures associated with each account. His question
> | was how to get Outlook to assign the correct signature to a message
> | before he designates which account he is using.
> || See my previous reply - use Word as the editor and you can easily
> || associate a signature with a mail account.
> || Post back if you have any problems *after* trying this method.
> || --�
> || Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
> || Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact.  Due to
> || the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my
> || personal account will be deleted without reading.
> || After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, H Gohel
> || asked:

0
russval (3097)
7/11/2004 10:08:13 PM
Guys, in order to clarify what I mean, I have uploaded the Options page I
referred to, to: http://tinyurl.com/6tzqh

As you can now see, Outlook 2003 seems to allow what you are saying would
require clairvoyance, which leaves me as confused by your posts as you are
by mine.

I have 3 e-mail accounts.  The highlighted box shows one of them selected.
For each account I can choose:
"Signature for new messages"
"Signature for replies and forwards"

Would you please explain to me why the "Signature for new messages" option
exists, if it cannot be used?

Using Word as the e-mail editor makes no difference as these options are not
greyed out when Wordmail is turned off.  This means they should work when
Wordmail is not on.

The point is, they are there for a reason - I just can't get them to work.
--

> Me too neither.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]"
> <MillyS@donteventhinkaboutmailingmemvps.org>
> wrote in message news:eJ8VzU4ZEHA.3112@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> Ah, I see now - it was rather confusing.  However, he can still select
>> the
>> signature once he selects the sending account using the Accounts button.
>> guess I am not understanding why actually having to *select* some
>> options/actions is such a hard thing to do.
>>
>> --�
>> Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
>>
>> Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact.  Due to
>> the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal
>> account will be deleted without reading.
>>
>> After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook] asked:
>>
>> | As I read the post, I don't think that's the question. OP said he'd
>> | already created signatures associated with each account. His question
>> | was how to get Outlook to assign the correct signature to a message
>> | before he designates which account he is using.

0
usenet2815 (51)
7/12/2004 5:49:06 PM
That option simply refers to whether you want a signature placed on every
new message or not. It does not mean that Outlook can figure out in advance
which signature to place when you have multiple mail accounts but haven't
designated which one you are going to use. When you have designated the
account in advance of starting the new message window (as would be the case
when you have only one account, or when you are replying to a message), the
signature that is placed will be the correct one for the specified account.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
> Guys, in order to clarify what I mean, I have uploaded the Options page I
> referred to, to: http://tinyurl.com/6tzqh
>
> As you can now see, Outlook 2003 seems to allow what you are saying would
> require clairvoyance, which leaves me as confused by your posts as you are
> by mine.
>
> I have 3 e-mail accounts.  The highlighted box shows one of them selected.
> For each account I can choose:
> "Signature for new messages"
> "Signature for replies and forwards"
>
> Would you please explain to me why the "Signature for new messages" option
> exists, if it cannot be used?
>
> Using Word as the e-mail editor makes no difference as these options are
not
> greyed out when Wordmail is turned off.  This means they should work when
> Wordmail is not on.
>
> The point is, they are there for a reason - I just can't get them to work.
> --
> Thanks.
>
> CJSnet
>
> (Remove TEETH to reply by e-mail.)
>

> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > Me too neither.
> > --
> > Russ Valentine
> > [MVP-Outlook]
> > "Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]"
> > <MillyS@donteventhinkaboutmailingmemvps.org>
> > wrote in message news:eJ8VzU4ZEHA.3112@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> >> Ah, I see now - it was rather confusing.  However, he can still select
> >> the
> >> signature once he selects the sending account using the Accounts
button.
> >> guess I am not understanding why actually having to *select* some
> >> options/actions is such a hard thing to do.
> >>
> >> --�
> >> Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
> >>
> >> Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact.  Due to
> >> the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal
> >> account will be deleted without reading.
> >>
> >> After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Russ Valentine
> >> [MVP-Outlook] asked:

0
russval (3097)
> That option simply refers to whether you want a signature placed on every
> new message or not.

I agree -- *if* you are talking about the default account.

However, I have 3 accounts.  If I select the default account which is the
1st one in the list (let's call it 'A') in the screenshot example, you are
correct - I can choose a signature for NEW messages there, and it is then
inserted every time I click New>Mail Message.

*But* if I select the 2nd account, a non-default account (let's call them
'B' and 'C'), the previous sig for NEW messages that I chose to associate to
account A disappears, allowing me to choose an independent sig for B or C.

*All 3 accounts* allow me to choose an individual signature for *new
messages*.

What you are saying is correct for account A, because when I click New>Mail
message, that is what I get - a new mail in account A with sig A.

But what is the point of Outlook letting me choose a signature for NEW
messages for accounts B and C, when there is no way whatsoever to create a
new message with acocunt B or C?

I hope that is clear now.  Either I'm missing something and there is a way,
or it's an extremely misleading and pointless option.  :-S
--
Thanks.

CJSnet

(Remove TEETH to reply by e-mail.)

> It does not mean that Outlook can figure out in advance
> which signature to place when you have multiple mail accounts but haven't
> designated which one you are going to use. When you have designated the
> account in advance of starting the new message window (as would be the
> case
> when you have only one account, or when you are replying to a message),
> the
> signature that is placed will be the correct one for the specified
> account.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "CJSnet" <usenet@TEETHthe-simpson.tv> wrote in message
>> Guys, in order to clarify what I mean, I have uploaded the Options page I
>> referred to, to: http://tinyurl.com/6tzqh
>>
>> As you can now see, Outlook 2003 seems to allow what you are saying would
>> require clairvoyance, which leaves me as confused by your posts as you
>> are
>> by mine.
>>
>> I have 3 e-mail accounts.  The highlighted box shows one of them
>> selected.
>> For each account I can choose:
>> "Signature for new messages"
>> "Signature for replies and forwards"
>>
>> Would you please explain to me why the "Signature for new messages"
>> option
>> exists, if it cannot be used?
>>
>> Using Word as the e-mail editor makes no difference as these options are
> not
>> greyed out when Wordmail is turned off.  This means they should work when
>> Wordmail is not on.
>>
>> The point is, they are there for a reason - I just can't get them to
>> work.
>> --
>> Thanks.
>>
>> CJSnet
>>
>> (Remove TEETH to reply by e-mail.)
>>

>> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> > Me too neither.
>> > --
>> > Russ Valentine
>> > [MVP-Outlook]
>> > "Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]"
>> > <MillyS@donteventhinkaboutmailingmemvps.org>
> button.

> very
> be

0
usenet2815 (51)
> That option simply refers to whether you want a signature placed on every
> new message or not.

I agree -- *if* you are talking about the default account.

However, I have 3 accounts.  If I select the default account which is the
1st one in the list (let's call it 'A') in the screenshot example, you are
correct - I can choose a signature for NEW messages there, and it is then
inserted every time I click New>Mail Message.

*But* if I select the 2nd account, a non-default account (let's call them
'B' and 'C'), the previous sig for NEW messages that I chose to associate to
account A disappears, allowing me to choose an independent sig for B or C.

*All 3 accounts* allow me to choose an individual signature for *new
messages*.

What you are saying is correct for account A, because when I click New>Mail
message, that is what I get - a new mail in account A with sig A.

But what is the point of Outlook letting me choose a signature for NEW
messages for accounts B and C, when there is no way whatsoever to create a
new message with account B or C?

I hope that is clear now.  Either I'm missing something and there is a way,
or it's an extremely misleading and pointless option.  :-S

> It does not mean that Outlook can figure out in advance
> which signature to place when you have multiple mail accounts but haven't
> designated which one you are going to use. When you have designated the
> account in advance of starting the new message window (as would be the
> case

How can I designate which account I am going to use "in advance of starting
the new message"?  That in essence is my whole question, and you just seemed
to imply it is possible.

> when you have only one account, or when you are replying to a message),

When I am replying there is a separate choice for which signature to use
(see my screenshot).  I am not talking about that, but the option above it.
--
Thanks.

CJSnet

(Remove TEETH to reply by e-mail.)

0
usenet2815 (51)
7/12/2004 9:02:16 PM
Let me ask it this way. How is it that you expect Outlook to select the
correct signature when you haven't told it what account you are going to
use? I think you are misinterpreting this feature's capability. Outlook has
provided an easy way to change sigs when you want to change the sending
account.

You will get the correct signature on a New message only when you have
defined the account you will use in advance of launching the New Message
window.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
> [...]
> >> require clairvoyance, which leaves me as confused by your posts as you
> >> are
> >> by mine.
> >>
> >> I have 3 e-mail accounts.  The highlighted box shows one of them
> >> selected.
> >> For each account I can choose:
> >> "Signature for new messages"
> >> "Signature for replies and forwards"
> >>
> >> Would you please explain to me why the "Signature for new messages"
> >> option
> >> exists, if it cannot be used?
> >>
> >> Using Word as the e-mail editor makes no difference as these options
are
> > not
> >> greyed out when Wordmail is turned off.  This means they should work
when
> >> Wordmail is not on.
> >>
> >> The point is, they are there for a reason - I just can't get them to

0
russval (3097)
> Let me ask it this way. How is it that you expect Outlook to select the
> correct signature when you haven't told it what account you are going to

Exactly.  That is my question!  I expect it to because the feature is
clearly present, or extremely misleading.  Why let me choose a signature for
new messages on accounts which are not the default account?  It's letting me
choose something that cannot be used in the present state.

> use? I think you are misinterpreting this feature's capability. Outlook
> has
> provided an easy way to change sigs when you want to change the sending
> account.
>
> You will get the correct signature on a New message only when you have
> defined the account you will use in advance of launching the New Message
> window.

And how do I do that?
--
> [...]

>> new message with acocunt B or C?
>>
>> I hope that is clear now.  Either I'm missing something and there is a
> way,
>> or it's an extremely misleading and pointless option.  :-S
>> --
>> Thanks.
>>
>> CJSnet
>>
>> (Remove TEETH to reply by e-mail.)
>>

>> > It does not mean that Outlook can figure out in advance
>> > which signature to place when you have multiple mail accounts but
> haven't
>> > designated which one you are going to use. When you have designated the
>> > account in advance of starting the new message window (as would be the
>> > case
>> > when you have only one account, or when you are replying to a message),
>> > the
>> > signature that is placed will be the correct one for the specified

0
usenet2815 (51)
7/12/2004 10:40:25 PM
I don't know how else to explain it. No one else seems to have been
similarly mislead.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
> [...]
> >> 'B' and 'C'), the previous sig for NEW messages that I chose to
associate
> >> account A disappears, allowing me to choose an independent sig for B or
> >> C.
> >>
> >> *All 3 accounts* allow me to choose an individual signature for *new
> >> messages*.
> >>
> >> What you are saying is correct for account A, because when I click
> > New>Mail
> >> message, that is what I get - a new mail in account A with sig A.
> >>
> >> But what is the point of Outlook letting me choose a signature for NEW
> >> messages for accounts B and C, when there is no way whatsoever to
create
> >> new message with acocunt B or C?
> >>
> >> I hope that is clear now.  Either I'm missing something and there is a
> > way,
> >> or it's an extremely misleading and pointless option.  :-S

0
russval (3097)
7/13/2004 2:37:57 AM
Open a new mail message. Go to the Accounts drop-down.  Select a different
account.

--�
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, CJSnet asked:

| "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
|| That option simply refers to whether you want a signature placed on
|| every new message or not.
|
| I agree -- *if* you are talking about the default account.
|
| However, I have 3 accounts.  If I select the default account which is
| the 1st one in the list (let's call it 'A') in the screenshot
| example, you are correct - I can choose a signature for NEW messages
| there, and it is then inserted every time I click New>Mail Message.
|
| *But* if I select the 2nd account, a non-default account (let's call
| them 'B' and 'C'), the previous sig for NEW messages that I chose to
| associate to account A disappears, allowing me to choose an
| independent sig for B or C.
|
| *All 3 accounts* allow me to choose an individual signature for *new
| messages*.
|
| What you are saying is correct for account A, because when I click
| New>Mail message, that is what I get - a new mail in account A with
| sig A.
|
| But what is the point of Outlook letting me choose a signature for NEW
| messages for accounts B and C, when there is no way whatsoever to
| create a new message with account B or C?
|
| I hope that is clear now.  Either I'm missing something and there is
| a way, or it's an extremely misleading and pointless option.  :-S
|
|| It does not mean that Outlook can figure out in advance
|| which signature to place when you have multiple mail accounts but
|| haven't designated which one you are going to use. When you have
|| designated the account in advance of starting the new message window
|| (as would be the case
|
| How can I designate which account I am going to use "in advance of
| starting the new message"?  That in essence is my whole question, and
| you just seemed to imply it is possible.
|
|| when you have only one account, or when you are replying to a
|| message),
|
| When I am replying there is a separate choice for which signature to
| use (see my screenshot).  I am not talking about that, but the option
| above it.

0
MillyS9060 (3207)
7/13/2004 4:24:28 AM
wrote in message news:emJvKFJaEHA.2816@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Open a new mail message. Go to the Accounts drop-down.  Select a different
> account.

Thanks Milly, but this doesn't resolve the issue.  If I choose a new account
like this (which is how I have done it for many years) it does not insert
the signature for new messages that I chose in the previous step (see my
last posts here).

Again, I cannot see the reason for, or point of, allowing me to choose a
signature for new messages, when it seems impossible to actually have that
signature automatically inserted for new messages.

Nobody here has provided a reason why that feature exists - it simply does
nothing.  Obviously that is misleading.

I'm not trying to be awkward at all, I just simply don't get why it's there
or what it does :-S
--
Thanks.

CJSnet

(Remove TEETH to reply by e-mail.)

> --�
> Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

> After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, CJSnet asked:
>
> | "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
> || That option simply refers to whether you want a signature placed on
> || every new message or not.
> |
> | I agree -- *if* you are talking about the default account.
> |
> | However, I have 3 accounts.  If I select the default account which is
> | the 1st one in the list (let's call it 'A') in the screenshot
> | example, you are correct - I can choose a signature for NEW messages
> | there, and it is then inserted every time I click New>Mail Message.
> |
> | *But* if I select the 2nd account, a non-default account (let's call
> | them 'B' and 'C'), the previous sig for NEW messages that I chose to
> | associate to account A disappears, allowing me to choose an
> | independent sig for B or C.
> |
> | *All 3 accounts* allow me to choose an individual signature for *new
> | messages*.
> |
> | What you are saying is correct for account A, because when I click
> | New>Mail message, that is what I get - a new mail in account A with
> | sig A.
> |
> | But what is the point of Outlook letting me choose a signature for NEW
> | messages for accounts B and C, when there is no way whatsoever to
> | create a new message with account B or C?
> |
> | I hope that is clear now.  Either I'm missing something and there is
> | a way, or it's an extremely misleading and pointless option.  :-S
> |
> || It does not mean that Outlook can figure out in advance
> || which signature to place when you have multiple mail accounts but
> || haven't designated which one you are going to use. When you have
> || designated the account in advance of starting the new message window
> || (as would be the case
> |
> | How can I designate which account I am going to use "in advance of
> | starting the new message"?  That in essence is my whole question, and
> | you just seemed to imply it is possible.
> |
> || when you have only one account, or when you are replying to a
> || message),
> |
> | When I am replying there is a separate choice for which signature to
> | use (see my screenshot).  I am not talking about that, but the option
> | above it.

0
usenet2815 (51)
>I don't know how else to explain it. No one else seems to have been
> similarly mislead.

I'm sorry Russ, I feel the same -- I don't know how else to explain what I
have said!  We'll get there, don't worry... ;)

Tell you what, here's an easy solution.  As I described, this option allows
me to choose a new message signature for non-default mail accounts.

Can you please give brief step by step instructions on how to ultmiately use
the end result of selecting that option, as you seem to know a lot?

I can give you the first few steps:
1)    Click Tools>Options>Mail Format>Select signature for account: <choose
an e-mail account other than the default>
2)    Click 'Signature for new messages:' <choose a signature to associate
with that non-default mail account>
3)    ???  How do I then get that NEW message signature inserted for that
NON-default mail account I just set up ???

If you can't talk me through it, then I guess it is impossible, which leads
back to my original question... why does that option exist if it does
nothing?
--
Thanks.

CJSnet

(Remove TEETH to reply by e-mail.)

> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "CJSnet" <usenet@TEETHthe-simpson.tv> wrote in message
>> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> > Let me ask it this way. How is it that you expect Outlook to select the
>> > correct signature when you haven't told it what account you are going
>>
>> Exactly.  That is my question!  I expect it to because the feature is
>> clearly present, or extremely misleading.  Why let me choose a signature
> for
>> new messages on accounts which are not the default account?  It's letting
> me
>> choose something that cannot be used in the present state.
>>
>> > use? I think you are misinterpreting this feature's capability. Outlook
>> > has
>> > provided an easy way to change sigs when you want to change the sending
>> > account.
>> >
>> > You will get the correct signature on a New message only when you have
>> > defined the account you will use in advance of launching the New
>> > Message
>> > window.
>>
>> And how do I do that?
>> --
>> Thanks.
>>
>> CJSnet
>>
>> (Remove TEETH to reply by e-mail.)
>>

>> > --
>> > Russ Valentine
>> > [MVP-Outlook]
>> > "CJSnet" <usenet@TEETHthe-simpson.tv> wrote in message
>> > every

> the
> then

> them
> associate

> create

>> > way,

>> > haven't
> the
> the
> message),

>> > would
> you

>> > are
>> > when

>> > select

>> > he'd
>> > message
> Gohel
> you
> message
> change
> are
>> > easily
> and
>> > tell

0
usenet2815 (51)
7/13/2004 10:29:04 AM
As I said, this option does not apply when there are multiple mail accounts
in one profile. There is no way for Outlook to place the correct signature
when you launch the new message window in a multiple account scenario
because you have not yet designated your sending account. It will place your
default signature. If you want to change your sending account, just R click
the sig and pick the sig for that account.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
> >I don't know how else to explain it. No one else seems to have been
> > similarly mislead.
>
> I'm sorry Russ, I feel the same -- I don't know how else to explain what I
> have said!  We'll get there, don't worry... ;)
>
> Tell you what, here's an easy solution.  As I described, this option
allows
> me to choose a new message signature for non-default mail accounts.
>
> Can you please give brief step by step instructions on how to ultmiately
use
> the end result of selecting that option, as you seem to know a lot?
>
> I can give you the first few steps:
> 1)    Click Tools>Options>Mail Format>Select signature for account:
<choose
> an e-mail account other than the default>
> 2)    Click 'Signature for new messages:' <choose a signature to associate
> with that non-default mail account>
> 3)    ???  How do I then get that NEW message signature inserted for that
> NON-default mail account I just set up ???
>
> If you can't talk me through it, then I guess it is impossible, which
leads
> back to my original question... why does that option exist if it does
> nothing?
> --
> Thanks.
>
> CJSnet
>
> (Remove TEETH to reply by e-mail.)
>

> > --
> > Russ Valentine
> > [MVP-Outlook]
> > "CJSnet" <usenet@TEETHthe-simpson.tv> wrote in message
> >> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
> >>
> >> Exactly.  That is my question!  I expect it to because the feature is
> >> clearly present, or extremely misleading.  Why let me choose a
signature
> > for
> >> new messages on accounts which are not the default account?  It's
letting
> > me
> >> choose something that cannot be used in the present state.

Outlook

> >> And how do I do that?
> >> --
> >> Thanks.
> >>
> >> CJSnet
> >>
> >> (Remove TEETH to reply by e-mail.)

> > the
> > then

> > them
> > associate

NEW
> > create

> > the
> > the
> > message),

> > you

Accounts

> > Gohel
> > you
> > message
> > change
> > are
> > and

0
russval (3097)
7/13/2004 10:44:08 AM
Thanks Russ.

As suspected then, it is a bit misleading as it lets you choose a default
sig for an account, but you can't actually use that option, unless you go
and also change the default account.

Everywhere else in Microsoft software, where one option means another option
won't be accessible, it is greyed out.  That's what threw me.
--

> [...]
>> me to choose a new message signature for non-default mail accounts.
>>
>> Can you please give brief step by step instructions on how to ultmiately
> use
>> the end result of selecting that option, as you seem to know a lot?
>>
>> I can give you the first few steps:
>> 1)    Click Tools>Options>Mail Format>Select signature for account:
> <choose
>> an e-mail account other than the default>
>> 2)    Click 'Signature for new messages:' <choose a signature to
>> associate
>> with that non-default mail account>
>> 3)    ???  How do I then get that NEW message signature inserted for that
>> NON-default mail account I just set up ???
>>
>> If you can't talk me through it, then I guess it is impossible, which
> leads
>> back to my original question... why does that option exist if it does

0
usenet2815 (51)

Outlook 2002 Tasks
Received the following message when trying to add new tasks: Could not complete the operation. One or more parameter values are not valid. Email: Microsoft Exchange Server. O/S: Windows XP Professional The IT department suggested I run scanpst but this is where I am confused. I work remotely (connect to network via a vpn) and use ost files. I did the scanpst on the ost files but that does not correct the problem. I reviewed other options but do not want to go any further without trying to get other opinions. Thanks Howard ...

mail message in my fie menu
Ever since I bought my new computer I havenot been able to send E Mails/Messages on Outlook 2000 I cannot find Mail message in the File menu and even when accessing a new E Mail form thewre is no send button on the toolbar Please advise It sounds like you attempted to install Outlook 2000 on your new computer and move your old data file. It also sounds like you now have a corrupt Outlook profile. How did you go about moving the Outlook Data File? Hal -- Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP- Print /Imaging -- WA7BGX http://www.kvoa.com -- "When Ne...

new message window (Microsoft Word) opens 1/2 way!
When we go to compose a new message in Outlook 20000, the window only opens up 1/2 way and we have to maximize it. There have been a few times that the window will open up all the way but not sure if there is either a regestry setting or local setting that would control this feature??? Thanks! On hands and knees, Paul crawls to SilverRaven and begs: >When we go to compose a new message in Outlook 20000, the >window only opens up 1/2 way and we have to maximize it. >There have been a few times that the window will open up >all the way but not sure if there is either a re...

Opening outlook opens work
I have Office 2003 and upon opening outlook, the framework and border for word opens over it. The word window has no tool bars or other functionallity as when word itself is opened. I can close this window and outlook is there and functional, but this is frustrating. I can't figure out what is starting it up. Any ideas? Thanks, Ken First, try creating a new mai profile under Control Panel, Mail Icon. If that does not work, then try running Detect and Repair from the Help Menu of any Office program. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discu...

OMA No longer working
We weren't even aware that any of our users were using OMA but it seems that it has been down for the past few months. We're gettiing the follow error messages after providing user credentials. It's running on the same server as our OWA box and is located in our DMZ running on a Windows 2003/Exchange 2003 Server. Any ideas on why it's now coming up with the following? Thanks for any info, Dan Server Error in '/OMA' Application. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Runtime Error Description: An application error oc...

Using Sound Recorder in Word VBA SOMETIMES does not work
I am recording short (< 60 secs) snipets of sound using Sound Recorder under control of Word VBA using the following Public Sub recordSound() Selection.InlineShapes.AddOLEObject ClassType:="SoundRec", FileName:="", LinkToFile:=False, DisplayAsIcon:=False End Sub All is OK most of the time but on some machines I get a message that says "Unable to load package" (or something like that ... I have never seeh it but 2 people have reported this). Does anyone know what might be causing this? I think both occurances were under Word 2007 on Vista. ...

Outlook Incoming Messages no longer display
Pictures in incoming Outlook 2007 Messages no longer display. How can I fix this ? "erni" wrote: > Pictures in incoming Outlook 2007 Messages no longer display. How can I fix > this ? I am having the same problem. It seems to happen with HTML email messages. The messages are there you just can't read the font. It is barely legible and faded yellow. ...

Automatic message language definition in international environment
How can I strictly define language for replies in Outlook 2002 with Microsoft Word message editor? Definition of Word/Outlook are not strictly followed. Problem background: We operate Outlook 2002 in international environment and users obtain messages from various countries and some messages go through several countries. A lot of countries have alternate national language defined together with English language in Windows Regional settings. The problem is that when you forward/reply to a message, sometimes Outlook use the local language for new text, sometimes use English. There is no ...

How do I get Outlook2003 to open folders when new mail arrives?
Outlook 2003 / ms Exchange 2007 Hi How do I get Outlook2003 to open folders when new mail arrives? Background: I have just changed my profile so that we now use Ms Exchange(2007) with our Outlook(2003). In my previous profile (which used .PST files), when new mail arrives in a folder (having been placed there by a rule), Outlook would automatically open each folder when it puts new emails into that folder. This would mean that previously I could see at a glance where new emails have arrived (because the foldername has gone bold, with the number of unread emails also showing in brackets). ...

Reply/New Message
Hello All - Using Outlook 2003 SP2 I have 3 accounts: Acct 1 Pop/Smtp (Default) Acct 2 Pop/Smtp Acct 3 Pop/Smtp When I start a new mail message, the default Acct 1 is used for the sender. But when I click Forward/Reply/Reply-All on an existing message, Acct 3 is used for the sender. (I get a gray box at the top of the message screen "this message will be sent via Acct3." I can then click Accounts and change the sender to Acct 1. How do I make Acct 1 be the default for New, Forward, Reply and Reply-All??? Any Ideas? Thanks, Shay Shay <shaygonen@gmail.com> wrote: > When...

Excel 2003 Upgrade
If I only have Microsoft Works Suite 2004, and I purchase the Excel 2003 upgrade, will I get the full functionality of Excel, or just an upgraded Works spreadsheet program? I went to the Microsoft site, and it states that Works Suite 2004 qualifies for Excel 2003 upgrade eligibility, but I am not really sure what that means. Thanks. Steve ...

FindRecord2K works perfectly, how to display results in my form??
I downloaded the findrecord2k search form. I would like to add a command button that takes those results that are generated from the query and displays them in my form. There are several command buttons available, would it be easier to modify an event to include displaying the search results in my form instead of the unbound control? ...

Smart List export not working
When I export out the smartlist results by clicking excel, I get the error 'EXP 1493. The Product is not currently loaded'. I checked my client, exp1493.exe is there and it is not read only. exp1493.dic is also there. This is GP 80 On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 18:52:42 -0700, "AA" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >When I export out the smartlist results by clicking excel, >I get the error 'EXP 1493. The Product is not currently >loaded'. > >I checked my client, exp1493.exe is there and it is not >read only. exp1493.dic is also th...

RMS Partners in New Jersey
I am currently looking for RMS partners in New Jersey who can provide backup support for several customers. If there are partners in NJ, please let me know ASAP. Thank you. -- rjd Hi, We provide onsite RMS support to clients in NJ and NY. Mihir Shah Diviasoft, Inc www.diviasoft.com "rjd" <rjd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:083A4DB4-5F05-436B-BAA0-55A4406AF141@microsoft.com... >I am currently looking for RMS partners in New Jersey who can provide >backup > support for several customers. If there are partners in NJ, please let me > know A...

Sending via secure SMTP suddenly stops working
Greetings, I'm experiencing a strange problem with outgoing email via secure SMTP. After working perfectly, suddenly I can't send mail any longer. Outlook says that the SMTP server does not support SSL (don't have the exact error message). Usually, changing to another SMTP port number (I have two alternate ports I can use) and rebooting fixes the problem. This problem only appears with Outlook and Outlook Express - not with any of the Mozilla mail clients, Mulberry, or Eudora. Any ideas? /POL Outlook Express and Outlook only support secure smtp on the deprecated port 46...

How could a Message box popup in systray with yes/no option
How can we make a message box pop up from a system tray icon ,on notification to a specific icon ,with yes and no option on it . Either use AfxMessageBox, or MessageBox. AliR. "gaurav" <gauravnetwork@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1155732162.797738.229580@75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... > How can we make a message box pop up from a system tray icon ,on > notification to a specific icon ,with yes and no option on it . > Check this out: http://www.codeproject.com/dialog/TaskbarNotifier.asp Tom "gaurav" <gauravnetwork@gmail.com> wrote in message...

"Customize Outlook Today" stopped working
After downloading a recent security patch from the MS website, the "Customize Outlook Today" button on my Outlook Today main screen no longer works - I click it and nothing happens. I've tried a repair of the install - no good. I'd rather not have to remove and reinstall the entire Office suite. Any ideas? Thanks. This has happened to me also. Would appreciate any help. >-----Original Message----- >After downloading a recent security patch from the MS >website, the "Customize Outlook Today" button on my >Outlook Today main screen no longer wo...

How do I put a chart into a new sheet?
The version of excel I usually use has a prompt to put the chart into a new sheet, where you don't see the spreadsheet anymore. Does anyone know how to do that?W If you right click the chart (near the outer edge0 there is an option location. "Erica" wrote: > The version of excel I usually use has a prompt to put the chart into a new > sheet, where you don't see the spreadsheet anymore. Does anyone know how to > do that?W ...

Exchange server resending message
I have a SBS2003 server that uses a pop connector to pull over messages from an ISP. The server has been resending an incoming message that has over a thousand recipients! One of my users got an email from a Professional organization he is a member of. Every time he gets a copy of the message, the server starts sending out a flurry of these messages. I spoke to the organization and they informed me that there have been thousands of returned mail. I have checked the server for viruses but have found none. I have up to date versions Symantec Antivirus Server and Exchange Antivirus by Syma...

Checking work email from home
Is there a website that you can log onto to check your work email from home? And if so what is the web address? Depends on what your work email is. Ask your admins there, first. If you have exchange server in the office & don't use PST files, you may be able to use Outlook Web Access if they've installed it/allowed access to it. If you use POP mail, you might be able to use www.mail2web.com - just to see non-downloaded mail in your inbox. stacey90210 wrote: > Is there a website that you can log onto to check your > work email from home? And if so what is the web address?...

Default Recipent Policy Not Working....
Hi This is an odd one... We have a single Exchange 2000 server with about 40 users in one domain... Never had any problems with things before but, I've just added a new user to AD and clicked on "Create Email Address" (just as I normally do...) and the mailbox seems to have been created (but I can't see it in Exchange Administrator..?). Also the address is not shown in the GAL and the Default Recipient Policy which establishes and Email address and X400 address does not seem to have worked...? I can send an email to the newly created address, but I cannot configure Outloo...

shutting of message relaying -Selectivly
I had asked once before if there is a way to log or see the address of any server relaying messages off of our exchange server. i was told to look for the SMTP logs in the system32 directory. there are none on my exchange server. Is there another way to see the addresses of servers using my exchange server as a relay? i need to disable relaying on my exchange server for all connections besides some internal servers. The developers can not tell me exactly what servers will need to attach and i can not interupt mail flow to our clients, to find out. What is the best way for me to ge...

Outlook Message Recall Feature
I tried to recall a message, but the feature keeps sending me recall failure messages and will not stop. They are clogging my mailbox and I need to stop it. How can I stop it? ...

edit subject line of outgoing messages
i need to edit the subject line of outgoing messages. i would like to be able to append, as well as do a search and replace on them (if possible). anybody done this before? g On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 14:55:34 -0600, "George Frederickson" <george@somewhere.com> wrote: >i need to edit the subject line of outgoing messages. i would like to be >able to append, as well as do a search and replace on them (if possible). >anybody done this before? > >g > 3rd party software would be your best bet. IMSS, Tumbleweed etc... If you are using Exchange 2007 you cou...

How do I split a message with an attachment across multiple email.
I want to split a large email across multiple emails because the receiver's email size is only 2MB per email. How do you do this in Outlook 2003 on Windows 2000 Professional please? Thank you. You can't in Outlook. You'll need to split it in advance by using a compression tool like WinZip or WinRAR. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "School-Query" <School-Query@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F8FA0D23-F...