- About Outlook's archiving capabilities...

I am trying to take a load off Outlook (Office XP) by archiving old items,
but I'm new to the process.

Every folder I archive seems to generate its own "Archive" folder in the
Folder List... so essentially, all it did was move the old contents from one
folder to another.

My question is, am I really helping Outlook at all by doing this? The whole
point of archiving was to give it fewer messages to load at bootup. But it's
still loading them in the Archive Folders, isn't it?

What happens if I delete the Archive Folders? Am I helping Outlook's
performance at all? And do I risk not being able to retrieve the contents of
my PSTs?

And finally, when you choose to archive into an existing PST, does it
overwrite the PST or does it simply add more and more content to it?

My Outlook takes forever to load now... but I also have thousands of emails
in there. I'm trying to Archive all the old stuff once now, then have
auto-archive do this monthly.

0
wforsk (6)

Hello?

"Forsky" <wforsk@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I am trying to take a load off Outlook (Office XP) by archiving old items,
> but I'm new to the process.
>
> Every folder I archive seems to generate its own "Archive" folder in the
> Folder List... so essentially, all it did was move the old contents from
one
> folder to another.
>
> My question is, am I really helping Outlook at all by doing this? The
whole
> point of archiving was to give it fewer messages to load at bootup. But
it's
> still loading them in the Archive Folders, isn't it?
>
> What happens if I delete the Archive Folders? Am I helping Outlook's
> performance at all? And do I risk not being able to retrieve the contents
of
> my PSTs?
>
> And finally, when you choose to archive into an existing PST, does it
> overwrite the PST or does it simply add more and more content to it?
>
> My Outlook takes forever to load now... but I also have thousands of
emails
> in there. I'm trying to Archive all the old stuff once now, then have
> auto-archive do this monthly.

0
wforsk (6)
6/9/2004 3:07:49 AM
On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 09:09:05 -0400, "Forsky" <wforsk@nospam.com> wrote:

>I am trying to take a load off Outlook (Office XP) by archiving old items,
>but I'm new to the process.

Good idea. We were all new to this, at one time.

>Every folder I archive seems to generate its own "Archive" folder in the
>Folder List... so essentially, all it did was move the old contents from one
>folder to another.

Correct, so far.

>My question is, am I really helping Outlook at all by doing this? The whole
>point of archiving was to give it fewer messages to load at bootup. But it's
>still loading them in the Archive Folders, isn't it?

Yes, to both questions.

>What happens if I delete the Archive Folders? Am I helping Outlook's
>performance at all? And do I risk not being able to retrieve the contents of
>my PSTs?

Don't delete your newly created archived folders! When you're archiving your
messages, you're actually putting them into another .pst file, called
archive.pst, by default. The name of the .pst file can be changed, of
course.

>And finally, when you choose to archive into an existing PST, does it
>overwrite the PST or does it simply add more and more content to it?

As I said, you're actually creating another .pst file. After you've archived
all of the messages that you want to archive, look at your folder list.
You'll see a group of folders under Archive. Right click on the Archive
folder, that contains all of your newly archived folders and choose to close
the file. Now, your archived messages can be opened any time that you need
them but they are out of your primary message store. That's the idea behind
archiving.

>My Outlook takes forever to load now... but I also have thousands of emails
>in there. I'm trying to Archive all the old stuff once now, then have
>auto-archive do this monthly.

Great idea.

Hope this helps!
--
<<<SgtRich>>>

Email Client: Microsoft Outlook 2003
News Client (Text): Fort� Agent 2.0   www.forteinc.com
News Client (Binaries): News Rover 9.2   www.newsrover.com

0
UseNewsgroup (155)
6/9/2004 7:53:58 AM
"SgtRich" <UseNewsgroup@NotEmail.net> wrote in message
> On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 09:09:05 -0400, "Forsky" <wforsk@nospam.com> wrote:
>
> >My question is, am I really helping Outlook at all by doing this? The
whole
> >point of archiving was to give it fewer messages to load at bootup. But
it's
> >still loading them in the Archive Folders, isn't it?
> >
> Yes, to both questions.

How am I helping Outlook perform if it was loading 10,000 emails BEFORE I
archived them, and it's still loading 10,000 emails AFTER I archived them,
only that they are in another tree on the Outlook menu (called Archived
Folder)?

> >What happens if I delete the Archive Folders? Am I helping Outlook's
> >performance at all? And do I risk not being able to retrieve the contents
of
> >my PSTs?
> >
> Don't delete your newly created archived folders! When you're archiving
your
> messages, you're actually putting them into another .pst file, called
> archive.pst, by default. The name of the .pst file can be changed, of
> course.

But what remains unclear is... can I delete the Archived Folder in my
Outlook menu without affecting the pst file which is physically located on a
separate drive? (I don't WANT Outlook to be loading 10,000 emails each time
I open it!)

Again, I fail to see the logic in archiving if Outlook is going to create a
folder that links to the pst file, and thus end up loading the same amount
of emails it did prior to the archiving.

> >And finally, when you choose to archive into an existing PST, does it
> >overwrite the PST or does it simply add more and more content to it?
> >
> As I said, you're actually creating another .pst file. After you've
archived
> all of the messages that you want to archive, look at your folder list.
> You'll see a group of folders under Archive. Right click on the Archive
> folder, that contains all of your newly archived folders and choose to
close
> the file. Now, your archived messages can be opened any time that you need
> them but they are out of your primary message store. That's the idea
behind
> archiving.

Right, but the question remains unanswered : if I archive to an EXISTING
pst, are the original contents of that pst replaced, or simply added-on to?
Right now, I have 7 inbox folders, and planned on archiving each month to a
new PST. That would mean 7 new archive.pst files each month, in a
clearly-identified monthly folders tree (year, month).

More problematic is that since Outlook creates a new Archive Folder each
time you create a new PST file, this creates 7 new folders in the Outlook
menu each month. 70 folders after 10 months. The idea was to clean things
up, not clutter them further.

So essentially my 2 original questions remain :

1. How am I improving performance in Outlook if everytime I archive a
folder, rather than delete the archived items that were zipped up in the PST
file, it actually moves them to a new folder in the Outlook menu?

2. If I point to an existing PST when archiving a NEW folder, what happens
to the existing contents of that PST?

Thanks!

0
wforsk (6)
6/9/2004 1:04:41 PM
Forsky <wforsk@nospam.com> wrote:

> How am I helping Outlook perform if it was loading 10,000 emails
> BEFORE I archived them, and it's still loading 10,000 emails AFTER I
> archived them, only that they are in another tree on the Outlook menu
> (called Archived Folder)?

Because each PST is smaller, therefore more efficient.  Outlook doesn't have
to do as much work in manipulating the contents of two smaller PSTs as it
would if the PST were twice as large and contained twice as many messages.

> But what remains unclear is... can I delete the Archived Folder in my
> Outlook menu without affecting the pst file which is physically
> located on a separate drive? (I don't WANT Outlook to be loading
> 10,000 emails each time I open it!)

You can elect to not display the archive PST in the Folder View.

> Again, I fail to see the logic in archiving if Outlook is going to
> create a folder that links to the pst file, and thus end up loading
> the same amount of emails it did prior to the archiving.

It may be accessing the same number of messages, but the overhead for doing
so is less.  And it's not "loading" anything, except, perhaps, the overhead
structures of the PSTs, which it uses to locate and display the messages and
folders in the PSTs.

> Right, but the question remains unanswered : if I archive to an
> EXISTING pst, are the original contents of that pst replaced, or
> simply added-on to?

Archived messages are simply moved from the active PST to the corresponding
folder in the archive PST, just like you had dragged the message from one to
the other.  Thus, archiving is a cumulative action.

> Right now, I have 7 inbox folders, and planned on
> archiving each month to a new PST. That would mean 7 new archive.pst
> files each month, in a clearly-identified monthly folders tree (year,
> month).

Outlook uses only one archive PST, until you change it.  I don't know where
you get the idea it will create a new one every time you create a new PST.

> 1. How am I improving performance in Outlook if everytime I archive a
> folder, rather than delete the archived items that were zipped up in
> the PST file, it actually moves them to a new folder in the Outlook
> menu?

Because Outlook has less overhead, it can perform better.  Also, you don't
have to display the archive PST in the Folder View.

> 2. If I point to an existing PST when archiving a NEW folder, what
> happens to the existing contents of that PST?

It remains.  The new folder gets added to the archive PST.  It doesn't
overwrite anything, no more than you receiving a new message overwrites the
contents of your Inbox.  So, if you use a version of Outlook prior to
Outlook 2003, you'll have to watch the size of your archive PST so that it
doesn't exceed 1.82 Gb or it will get corrupted.  You'll have to make new
archive PSTs periodically to avoid that.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
> Forsky <wforsk@nospam.com> wrote:
>
> > How am I helping Outlook perform if it was loading 10,000 emails
> > BEFORE I archived them, and it's still loading 10,000 emails AFTER I
> > archived them, only that they are in another tree on the Outlook menu
> > (called Archived Folder)?
>
> Because each PST is smaller, therefore more efficient.  Outlook doesn't
have
> to do as much work in manipulating the contents of two smaller PSTs as it
> would if the PST were twice as large and contained twice as many messages.

But with all due respect, as you took the time to try to help me and it is
greatly appreciated... this just doesn't make any sense to me.

Elsewhere in your reply, you write :

> Outlook uses only one archive PST, until you change it.  I don't know
where
> you get the idea it will create a new one every time you create a new PST.

This contradicts your earlier statement that "each PST is smaller, therefore
more efficient." How can you state in one sentence that "each PST"
(therefore implying that there will be more than one) is smaller, then later
state that there is only one PST?

Here's the thing : I don't want Outlook loading ANYTHING at bootup that
isn't of this month. Period. I don't care how little you claim it affects
performance, 10,000 - 25,000 - or 50,000 emails (many of them with
attachments) is going to slow you down. I don't want Outlook to know these
archives EXIST until I tell it to load them.

Additionally, a singular PST file is just one huge gigantic ball of stuff...
if I need to look up an old email at some point, I need to open this
gigantic ball of stuff and start digging. I would much rather archive
monthly, and label each PST file accordingly... so that when the time comes
to look up an email from January 1997, I can do so quickly and
efficiently... without loading a decade's worth of mail and having to sift
through it.

Am I making a bit more sense now, when I talk about multiple PST files, and
not wanting Outlook to have inherent Archive Folders? The whole point of
archiving is having Outlook have FEWER active emails to manage... just
moving them to another branch on the Outlook hierarchy tree doesn't unload
anything.

Unless you tell me they remain in compressed form until called upon, which
nobody has yet to do in this discussion thus far.

That being said, once again, I'm grateful for the 2 people who tried
answering my questions, but by both of your answers, I am beginning to think
that maybe Outlook isn't for me -- and a client that will allow me to
archive in multiple files and only load those emails when I tell it to, is.

Can Outlook do what I'm asking or not? If it can't, then it just can't. It's
no one's fault but Microsoft's. ;)

0
wforsk (6)
6/9/2004 11:04:32 PM
On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 09:04:41 -0400, "Forsky" <wforsk@nospam.com> wrote:

>How am I helping Outlook perform if it was loading 10,000 emails BEFORE I
>archived them, and it's still loading 10,000 emails AFTER I archived them,
>only that they are in another tree on the Outlook menu (called Archived
>Folder)?

After you archive your messages, close the archive folders unless you need
to reference something. Therefore, you will NOT be loading 10,000 messages.

>But what remains unclear is... can I delete the Archived Folder in my
>Outlook menu without affecting the pst file which is physically located on a
>separate drive? (I don't WANT Outlook to be loading 10,000 emails each time
>I open it!)

You're CLOSING the archived folders, not deleting them. When you need
something from an archived folder, you just open that .pst file and your
messages are there, however, they are NOT being loaded every time you open
Outlook if you always close your archived folders.
--
<<<SgtRich>>>

Email Client: Microsoft Outlook 2003
News Client (Text): Fort� Agent 2.0   www.forteinc.com
News Client (Binaries): News Rover 9.2   www.newsrover.com

0
UseNewsgroup (155)
6/10/2004 8:23:32 AM
What do you mean by CLOSING the archive folder?

When I CLOSE (right-click, close) one of those folders, it is deleted. I
can't bring it back (unless I import, I assume).

Confusing, isn't it? :)

> On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 09:04:41 -0400, "Forsky" <wforsk@nospam.com> wrote:
>
> >But what remains unclear is... can I delete the Archived Folder in my
> >Outlook menu without affecting the pst file which is physically located
on a
> >separate drive? (I don't WANT Outlook to be loading 10,000 emails each
time
> >I open it!)
> >
> You're CLOSING the archived folders, not deleting them. When you need
> something from an archived folder, you just open that .pst file and your
> messages are there, however, they are NOT being loaded every time you open
> Outlook if you always close your archived folders.

0
wforsk (6)
6/10/2004 1:14:28 PM
Forsky <wforsk@nospam.com> wrote:

> This contradicts your earlier statement that "each PST is smaller,
> therefore more efficient." How can you state in one sentence that
> "each PST" (therefore implying that there will be more than one) is
> smaller, then later state that there is only one PST?

Read what I wrote again.  I didn't say only one PST.  I said only one
archive PST.  You can have 50 PSTs if you want.  However, if archiving is
enabled, Outlook will dump messages to only one of them.  You can specify
which one, but if you use default values, its name will be "archive.pst".

> Here's the thing : I don't want Outlook loading ANYTHING at bootup
> that isn't of this month. Period. I don't care how little you claim
> it affects performance, 10,000 - 25,000 - or 50,000 emails (many of
> them with attachments) is going to slow you down. I don't want
> Outlook to know these archives EXIST until I tell it to load them.

Fine.  Don't open them then.  What's the big deal?  And again, it doesn't
"load" anything.

> Additionally, a singular PST file is just one huge gigantic ball of
> stuff... if I need to look up an old email at some point, I need to
> open this gigantic ball of stuff and start digging.

That's what the Find function is for.

> I would much
> rather archive monthly, and label each PST file accordingly... so
> that when the time comes to look up an email from January 1997, I can
> do so quickly and efficiently... without loading a decade's worth of
> mail and having to sift through it.

So, go ahead.  What's stopping you from organizing your messages this way?

> Am I making a bit more sense now, when I talk about multiple PST
> files, and not wanting Outlook to have inherent Archive Folders?

The term "archiving", when used in an Outlook context, has a specific
meaning.  It means Outlook is using the modified date associated with an
item and moving it from your default delivery location to an Outlook-managed
PST file designated as the archive PST.  It has nothing to do with you
moving messages to PSTs in order to organize things the way you want them to
be.  Perhaps that's the confusion here.  You're not using the word "archive"
in it's Outlook context.

> Unless you tell me they remain in compressed form until called upon,
> which nobody has yet to do in this discussion thus far.

PSTs are never "compressed", in the sense that zip or rar or arc or gz files
are compressed.

> That being said, once again, I'm grateful for the 2 people who tried
> answering my questions, but by both of your answers, I am beginning
> to think that maybe Outlook isn't for me -- and a client that will
> allow me to archive in multiple files and only load those emails when
> I tell it to, is.

Outlook can do that, as far as I'm concerned.  There is one person here who
has a PST for each month for the last three years.  Usually, they can't be
seen in the Outlook Folder View because he doesn't have them opened.  If he
wants to refer to any messages in any of them, he opens the PST where he
believed the message resides, thereby adding it to the Outlook Folder View,
uses Find to locate the message, gets the information he wants from it, then
closes the PST again, removing it from the Folder View (and from Outlook's
"consciousness").  How does this differ from what you want to do?
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
6/10/2004 1:23:19 PM
Forsky <wforsk@nospam.com> wrote:

> When I CLOSE (right-click, close) one of those folders, it is
> deleted.

No, it's not.  It still resides on your hard drive.  The only thing that
happens is you remove it from Outlook's Folder View and Outlook doesn't
reference it any more.

> I can't bring it back (unless I import, I assume).

Wrong.  To reopen a PST, click FIle>Open>Outlook Data File and browse to the
PST.  Select it and click OK.  It's now open and will reappear in your
Folder View.

> Confusing, isn't it? :)

Only to you.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
> Forsky <wforsk@nospam.com> wrote:
�>
> > Confusing, isn't it? :)
>
> Only to you.

Was that necessary?

0
wforsk (6)
6/12/2004 3:28:55 PM
Forsky <wforsk@nospam.com> wrote:

> Was that necessary?

Necessary?  Probably not.  Truthful?  Sure.  Several people have tried to
explain to you how your idea of how Outlook works isn't accurate and so far
it would seem they've failed.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)

Outlook 2000 #202
Running windows 98 and outlook 2000. has run well for several years. Recently had problems getting on-line. That problem now solved. However, now when I try to run Outlook 2000, I get following error notification: "An OLE registration error has occurred. The program is not correctly installed. Run setup again for the program." I have assumed this referrs to Outlook. I have run setup several times, even uninstalling outlook and reinstalling, to no avail. Any ideas where the problem lies?? ...

Recover Deleted Items Outlook 2003
I can't get the DumpsterAlywaysOn trick to work in Outlook 2003. Is there a different way of implementing this in the newer version? Thanks, Patrick are you certain you did not make the same typo in the registry key that you made in this post? that key has always worked for me... "PatricK" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ad3601c4369d$f8c98be0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I can't get the DumpsterAlywaysOn trick to work in > Outlook 2003. Is there a different way of implementing > this in the newer version? > > Thanks, > Patric...

Outlook Express Blocks all my attachments
It believes my access to all received attachments should be blocked. How do I correct this, over ride this? Outlook Express has an option to block attachments. According to Microsoft, this feature is not enabled by default, but judging from feedback to Microsoft, it is enabled at least in some circumstances. Users are also reporting that nearly all of the attachments they receive are considered unsaf To turn off this feature in Outlook Express: 1. Select Options from the Tools menu 2. Click on the Security ta 3. Uncheck the box that says “Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that ...

Using MS Access information in Outlook
I have an MS Access DBase that contains our companies contact information. I want to be able to use that information in an Outlook contact folder. I do not want to import the information into Outlook. I want it to be automatically synchronized. Is this possible? Mikeal ...

Outlook 2003 "Reply to All" not functioning
I have a particular end-user (User 1) who is receiving e-mails from another end-user (User 2) within the same Exchange 2003 domain. The problem is the following: User 1 receives an e-mail from User 2, User 1 is CCed in this message from User 2. User 1 wants to "Reply to All," however, User 2 does not show up whenever "Reply to All" is clicked in any of the address fields of the replying message. Both users are on Exchange 2003. User 1 is using Outlook 2003, while User 2 is using both Outlook 2003 and OWA 2003. This issue also occurs with User 2 whenever an external end-u...

Label for imported Outlook holidays
Hello all, Exchange 2003 SP2/Outlook 2003. We modified the outlook.hol file so that it contains the days our company will be closed in 2009. The file has been copied on each user's workstation, and each user has to importe the holidays in his/ her Outlook. Question is : is it possible to add a label during the import ? Or to change the status/create a custom status ? In this way we could easily see in the weekly/monthly view which days are off, without needing to modify each item individually. Thanks ! Luuke you can't create a custom status. users would need to add a label to th...

Outlook 2003
More than 50% of my contacts do not have email addresses, so it therefore clutters the Address book unnecessarily. Is there anyway to allow the address book (the popup which appears when clicking on "To:") to only show contacts that have email addresses? I can use categories to assign contacts as ValidEmailUser, but I can't seem to find a way to force the address book popup form, to show based on a category. Thanks. That's odd. I have never seen the Outlook Address Book display Contacts without electronic addresses. It simply won't do that. Do these Contacts ...

outlook mobile access broken #2
I noticed this morning that my OMA was give ASP application error reports when a device tried to connect. I put it down to changing the installed .net framework at the end of last week - using the aspnet_regiis.exe command located in the C: \WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework directory, I changed from v1.1.4322 to v2.0.50727. So I reverted back to v1.1.4322 hoping it would resolve the issue, no all I get is a 404 page not found - even though there are files there - now I'm a bit stumped. What is going to be the easiest way to fix/repair/recreate this virtual directory? Any pointers would ...

Avoid creation of new folders in my document when I open outlook?
Hi, each times I open Outlook, new folders are cretaed in my documents and each times I attach files to an email, Outlook creats new folders in the file where the attach file was. How can I avoid this? is this a dell laptop with media direct? if so, uninstall the outlook setup add-in. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tips by email: dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net Outlook Tips: http://www.outl...

Transferring Outlook Profiles
Concerning transferring Outlook accounts. I am currently re-imaging several shared workstations and hoping to simply transfer users Outlook profiles from the old pc’s to the new ones (rather than having to recreate 20+ profiles manually). I have already tried transferring the old C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxx\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook folder to the new workstations without success. Does anyone know if what I am attempting is even possible? My guess is it’s going to take more than simply copying a folder over to get these profiles transferred (if it can even be done). Than...

error message exiting outlook 2003
On exiting Outlook 2003, I get a message that says "The instruction at 0x7c910f2b referenced memory at 0x0bcd5c4c. The memory could not be read" Any ideas? -- ------------------------------------------------------------------------- FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM! Download Spam Inspector, the Award Winning Anti-Spam Filter http://mail.giantcompany.com Does this also happen when you disable your add-ins? What is logged to the Event Viewer regarding this? -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Offic...

How to send Outlook rule reply to reply-to address (not from address)?
By default Outlook 2002 sends rule-based replies to the From: address of the incoming email message. Is there a way to set-up the reply rule to send to the Reply-to: address instead? Thanks, -Keith ...

Outlook
We are on Exchange 2007, Outlook 2007 and Excel 2007. A users sends a specific spreadsheet to multiple users 2-3 times a week. About once a week, one of the users tries to open the file and it is corrupted. The original file is 18K but after he attempts to open it, it reduces to 4K. If he tries to forward the message, it goes out corrupted. If he saves the file first, it is fine. But it still becomes corrupted if he tries to open from the attachment. We all use the same anti-virus and this is the only Excel document he has the problem with. He receives many from various source...

Outlook Rules not working with new Exchange Server
We recently (last week) upgraded our Exchange 5.5 server with a new machine running Exchange 2003. Since that change, a few clients who use Outlook Rules to forward messages to other email addresses have noticed that those messages are no longer being delivered. We have clients using Outlook 2000 and some using 2003 - it doesn't seem to matter which version of Outlook that's being used. The rules work just fine for placing specific messages into specific folders, but anytime that a message is supposed to be forwarded to an outside email address, it is never delivered. Any ide...

Outlook 2003 #147
When sending an Email, I would like to send a copy to a folder (Not sent items) in the address field has any one seen this one? ...

Outlook 2003 SP2
Hi Is there any way I can set a user defined field to show the date (and time) I read a particular email? Lou Lou, you wrote on Tue, 2 Oct 2007 18:16:50 +1000: > Is there any way I can set a user defined field to show the date (and time) > I read a particular email? No. BTW: SP3 for Office 2003 has been released: http://tinyurl.com/mb2dj -- Best Regards Christian Goeller http://www.outlookfaq.net You can expose the replied to time (http://www.slipstick.com/exs/customfields.htm) but I don't know if you can expose a read time. Modified time won't work because marki...

Create Outlook 2003 Rule using 'Or' operator in 'Sent to' condition
How do I create a rule that uses the 'or' operator in the 'sent to' condition? I actually have a rule like this, but don't know how I created it. In other rules, when I try to add more that one email address or group in 'sent to,' Outlook inserts the 'and' operator. What is the exact rule in full? In general you'd create additional rules but it depends a bit on the condition or action that you are using. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins ...

Outlook 2003 AutoArchive Deletes emails
1000+ users on our domains have been having an issue where they run AutoArchive and a large number of their non-expired emails are moved to the Deleted Items folder of their Personal Folder File (or, if one doesn't exist, one is created on their hard drive) and the items in the Deleted Items folder of their PFF are deleted completely and must be recovered. After that point, any items placed in the PFF under Inbox will be sucked into Deleted Items in the Archive/PFF each time. We have checked the settings on 10+ machines and the only way to prevent this problem from occuring is to manuall...

Why is my Outlook slow and jumpy?
My Outlook opens slowly with several blank window boxes at various places on the screen. It is slow to respond to the mouse and when I am typing. Version of Outlook? What add-in do you have installed? Also see; http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/outlookdoesntstart.htm on how to reset, repair and troubleshoot Outlook and determine wether it is caused by Outlook or one of your add-ins. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "Bobbi" <Bobbi@discus...

outlook 2000 error message with roadrunner
Can some one please help.... I just signed up for road runner and I am not able to send or recieve emails through outlook. The message that I get is ... a time out occured while communicating with the server. (Account: pop-server.houston.rr.com, SMTP Server;'smtp- server.houston.rr.com', Error Number 0x800ccc19) Have you called Roadrunner support to make sure your settings are correct? lynn wrote: > Can some one please help.... I just signed up for road > runner and I am not able to send or recieve emails through > outlook. The message that I get is ... > a time o...

Add yearly event to calander of all outlook clients
Dear member Is it possible to add all yearly events to the calander of all outlook clients? Regards Enam Send it as a meeting request? You may also want to ask in the Outlook newsgroups. Those people know OL inside and out. "Enam" <Enam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6D0CF893-B10D-439F-BD94-D1A140A61FBF@microsoft.com... > Dear member > > Is it possible to add all yearly events to the calander of all outlook > clients? > > Regards > Enam > ...

Messages Recovery Miscrosoft Outlook 2000
How Can I do recover a messages deleted permanent ? The messages was sent to delete messages and then this folder was empty You can try the following; http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/restoredeleteditemsfromanoutlookpst.htm -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "jk" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5c8a01c49202$c2b9e890$a601280a@phx.gbl... > How Can I do recover a messages deleted permanent ? The > mes...

Intergration between Project 2007 and outlook 2003
Please help.... I am running MS Project 2007 (not server) and outlook 2003. Is there way (or a program someone can reccomend) to intergrate the tasks ect between the two pieces of software? Thanks This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0024_01CA99B8.95E55F70 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi Yoni, Welcome to this Microsoft Project newsgroup :) There is no way within Project, and I don't know of product that does. = You might like to peruse the Companions Page of the M...

LDAP lookup not working with Outlook 2003
I have recently upgraded to Outlook 2003 and notice that I could no longer resolve names via the LDAP server. I get always get a message that there are too many matches in the Internet Directory. This does not occur with Outlook 2002 or Outlook Express. With these two applications, the name is always resolved in less that 20 seconds. Any ideas? Try a new mail profile. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to my actual account will be deleted w/out reading. After searching google.groups...

Outlook/VBScript: I want to retrieved EntryID from TaskItem class
Hi, I have a question concerning the EntryID from the TaskItem class in Outlook. Here's my question I would like to stored the EntryID in an Access Database at the same time that I am saving the rest of the information (DueDate, Owner, Subject...etc) in my table. I do not know if it is possible. My Problem is that the EntryID does not seems to appears when I am saving the Recordset in my Item_Write event. I do not know if it is created after the Item_Write event. I have tried by putting the EntryID in the Item_Close event but I am not getting the value. I am using VBScript. Is there anyway...