Application_Startup doesn't seem to work - Outlook 2007

I have the following code in Class1 code

Option Explicit
Public WithEvents objReminders As Outlook.Reminders

Sub Initialize_handler()
    Set objReminders = Application.Reminders
    MsgBox "Reminder handler initialized"
End Sub

Private Sub objReminders_ReminderFire(ByVal ReminderObject As Reminder)
    With ReminderObject
        ' irelevant code removed
        .Item.Display
        MsgBox .Caption
    End With
End Sub

And this in Module1 code

Option Explicit

Private Sub Application_Startup()
    Dim MyClass As New Class1
    MyClass.Initialize_handler
End Sub

The "Reminder handler initialized" doesn't get displayed on starting Outlook
and the event handler doesn't trigger.

What am I doing wrong?

Why do you use another class module? The issues are:

1) Outlook expects Application_Startup in the ThisOutlookSession module. It
doesn't find the procedure in any other module.

2) The Myclass variable needs to be declared on a module level. Declared in
a procedure, the object will terminate as soon as the last line of it has
been executed.

--
Best regards
Michael Bauer - MVP Outlook

  : Outlook Categories? Category Manager Is Your Tool
  : VBOffice Reporter for Data Analysis & Reporting
  : <http://www.vboffice.net/product.html?pub=6&lang=en>

Am Mon, 16 Nov 2009 09:15:03 -0800 schrieb Old Man River:

> I have the following code in Class1 code
>
> Option Explicit
> Public WithEvents objReminders As Outlook.Reminders
>
> Sub Initialize_handler()
>     Set objReminders = Application.Reminders
>     MsgBox "Reminder handler initialized"
> End Sub
>
> Private Sub objReminders_ReminderFire(ByVal ReminderObject As Reminder)
>     With ReminderObject
>         ' irelevant code removed
>         .Item.Display
>         MsgBox .Caption
>     End With
> End Sub
>
> And this in Module1 code
>
> Option Explicit
>
> Private Sub Application_Startup()
>     Dim MyClass As New Class1
>     MyClass.Initialize_handler
> End Sub
>
> The "Reminder handler initialized" doesn't get displayed on starting
Outlook
> and the event handler doesn't trigger.
>
> What am I doing wrong?
0
Michael
11/16/2009 6:36:53 PM
Thanks Michael

This is my first Outlook project (I've been a programmer for over 40 years
though now retired). I'd made the mistake in getting to the code section by
going in via the Visual Basic Editor menu item which creates the
Module1(Code) Module so hadn't found the

ThisOutlookSession(Code) Module.

I'd followed the instructions in Help ("Using Events with Automation" and
"Reminders.ReminderFire Event") to create the Class1(Code) Module as
instructed and I presume I should keep that. Although I cannot see how to
rename the module from Class1 to something more meaningful.

I have now moved this code to ThisOutlookSession viz:

Option Explicit

Dim MyClass As New Class1

Private Sub Application_Startup()
    MyClass.Initialize_handler
    Application.ActiveExplorer.WindowState = olMaximized
End Sub

Sub Init()
    MyClass.Initialize_handler
End Sub

And because again Application_Startup did not fire I added the Sub Init
which I can call from the Macro Menu. After a bit of a struggle certificating
myself. I find that Application_Startup still does not fire but I get my
"Reminder Handler Initialised" prompt when running the Init Macro from the
menu but nothing happens when a reminder fires.

Strange this, as I was getting a result manually calling an Init sub when
the code was in the Module1(Code) Module and I hadn't had to use a
certificate!

"Michael Bauer [MVP - Outlook]" wrote:

> [...]

> > I have the following code in Class1 code
> >
> > Option Explicit
> > Public WithEvents objReminders As Outlook.Reminders
> >
> > Sub Initialize_handler()
> >     Set objReminders = Application.Reminders
> >     MsgBox "Reminder handler initialized"
> > End Sub
> >
> > Private Sub objReminders_ReminderFire(ByVal ReminderObject As Reminder)
> >     With ReminderObject
> >         ' irelevant code removed
> >         .Item.Display
> >         MsgBox .Caption
> >     End With
> > End Sub
> >
> > And this in Module1 code
> >
> > Option Explicit
> >
> > Private Sub Application_Startup()
> >     Dim MyClass As New Class1
> >     MyClass.Initialize_handler
> > End Sub
> >
> > The "Reminder handler initialized" doesn't get displayed on starting

I have placed all code in ThisOutlookSession (see below). I have signed it
with a certificate using the MS "Digital Certificate for VBA Projects" tool.
I have deleted the original VBAProject.OTM file yet still the
Application_Startup sub fails to trigger. Running the Init sub from the Tools
- Macro menu does the initilisation and the code then fires when a reminder
is fired. Why is this happening?

Running under Windows Vista Home Premium

Option Explicit

Public WithEvents objReminders As Outlook.Reminders

Private Sub Initialize_handler()
    Set objReminders = Application.Reminders
    MsgBox "Reminder handler initialised"
End Sub

Private Sub objReminders_ReminderFire(ByVal ReminderObject As Reminder)
    With ReminderObject
        Stop
        If .Caption = "Fence Check Reminder" Then
            .Item.Display
        End If
    End With
End Sub

Private Sub Application_Startup()
    Stop
    Initialize_handler

"Old Man River" wrote:

> I have the following code in Class1 code
>
> Option Explicit
> Public WithEvents objReminders As Outlook.Reminders
>
> Sub Initialize_handler()
>     Set objReminders = Application.Reminders
>     MsgBox "Reminder handler initialized"
> End Sub
>
> Private Sub objReminders_ReminderFire(ByVal ReminderObject As Reminder)
>     With ReminderObject
>         ' irelevant code removed
>         .Item.Display
>         MsgBox .Caption
>     End With
> End Sub
>
> And this in Module1 code
>
> Option Explicit
>
> Private Sub Application_Startup()
>     Dim MyClass As New Class1
>     MyClass.Initialize_handler
> End Sub
>
> The "Reminder handler initialized" doesn't get displayed on starting Outlook
> and the event handler doesn't trigger.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

What do you think a Stop call would do? I'd assume it stops the code from
any further execution.

--

Am Tue, 17 Nov 2009 09:25:03 -0800 schrieb Old Man River:

> I have placed all code in ThisOutlookSession (see below). I have signed it
> with a certificate using the MS "Digital Certificate for VBA Projects"
tool.
> I have deleted the original VBAProject.OTM file yet still the
> Application_Startup sub fails to trigger. Running the Init sub from the
Tools
> - Macro menu does the initilisation and the code then fires when a
reminder
> is fired. Why is this happening?
>
> Running under Windows Vista Home Premium
>
> Option Explicit
>
> Public WithEvents objReminders As Outlook.Reminders
>
> Private Sub Initialize_handler()
>     Set objReminders = Application.Reminders
>     MsgBox "Reminder handler initialised"
> End Sub
>
> Private Sub objReminders_ReminderFire(ByVal ReminderObject As Reminder)
>     With ReminderObject
>         Stop
>         If .Caption = "Fence Check Reminder" Then
>             .Item.Display
>         End If
>     End With
> End Sub
>
> Private Sub Application_Startup()
>     Stop
>     Initialize_handler
>     Application.ActiveExplorer.WindowState = olMaximized
> End Sub
>
> Sub Init()
>     Initialize_handler
> End Sub
>

> "Old Man River" wrote:
>
>> I have the following code in Class1 code
>>
>> Option Explicit
>> Public WithEvents objReminders As Outlook.Reminders
>>
>> Sub Initialize_handler()
>>     Set objReminders = Application.Reminders
>>     MsgBox "Reminder handler initialized"
>> End Sub
>>
>> Private Sub objReminders_ReminderFire(ByVal ReminderObject As Reminder)
>>     With ReminderObject
>>         ' irelevant code removed
>>         .Item.Display
>>         MsgBox .Caption
>>     End With
>> End Sub
>>
>> And this in Module1 code
>>
>> Option Explicit
>>
>> Private Sub Application_Startup()
>>     Dim MyClass As New Class1
>>     MyClass.Initialize_handler
>> End Sub
>>
>> The "Reminder handler initialized" doesn't get displayed on starting
Outlook
>> and the event handler doesn't trigger.
>>
>> What am I doing wrong?
0
Michael
11/17/2009 8:46:14 PM
It halts the code a that poind and launches the debugger. Very useful in
developing event driven code and in debugging large amounts of code that you
do not want to have to watch. Unlike setting a breakpoint it suvives closing
the application and relaunching.  Obviously doesn't work in a compiled
..com/.exe file where it acts like an End statement.

Still not making any progress with the Application_Startup problem though.

Have you tried it without calling Stop?

--

Am Wed, 18 Nov 2009 00:25:01 -0800 schrieb Old Man River:

> It halts the code a that poind and launches the debugger. Very useful in
> developing event driven code and in debugging large amounts of code that
you
> do not want to have to watch. Unlike setting a breakpoint it suvives
closing
> the application and relaunching.  Obviously doesn't work in a compiled
> .com/.exe file where it acts like an End statement.
>
> Still not making any progress with the Application_Startup problem though.
>
> "Michael Bauer [MVP - Outlook]" wrote:
>

>> What do you think a Stop call would do? I'd assume it stops the code from
>> any further execution.
>>
>> --
>> Best regards
>> Michael Bauer - MVP Outlook
>>
>>   : Outlook Categories? Category Manager Is Your Tool
>>   : VBOffice Reporter for Data Analysis & Reporting
>>   : <http://www.vboffice.net/product.html?pub=6&lang=en>
>>

>> Am Tue, 17 Nov 2009 09:25:03 -0800 schrieb Old Man River:
>>
>>> I have placed all code in ThisOutlookSession (see below). I have signed
it
>>> with a certificate using the MS "Digital Certificate for VBA Projects"
>> tool.
>>> I have deleted the original VBAProject.OTM file yet still the
>>> Application_Startup sub fails to trigger. Running the Init sub from the
>> Tools
>>> - Macro menu does the initilisation and the code then fires when a
>> reminder
>>> is fired. Why is this happening?
>>>
>>> Running under Windows Vista Home Premium
>>>
>>> Option Explicit
>>>
>>> Public WithEvents objReminders As Outlook.Reminders
>>>
>>> Private Sub Initialize_handler()
>>>     Set objReminders = Application.Reminders
>>>     MsgBox "Reminder handler initialised"
>>> End Sub
>>>
>>> Private Sub objReminders_ReminderFire(ByVal ReminderObject As Reminder)
>>>     With ReminderObject
>>>         Stop
>>>         If .Caption = "Fence Check Reminder" Then
>>>             .Item.Display
>>>         End If
>>>     End With
>>> End Sub
>>>
>>> Private Sub Application_Startup()
>>>     Stop
>>>     Initialize_handler
>>>     Application.ActiveExplorer.WindowState = olMaximized
>>> End Sub
>>>
>>> Sub Init()
>>>     Initialize_handler

>> Outlook

>> .

0
Michael
11/18/2009 9:35:45 AM
Just tried it with both Stop's commented out. No change even commented out
the Private Sub Application_Startup() statement and reentered it. It just
refuses to fire when I launch Outlook. I have stepped through it and it works
so it's not an invisible charater in the code or some other such trifle.

"Michael Bauer [MVP - Outlook]" wrote:

> Have you tried it without calling Stop?
>
> --
> Best regards
> Michael Bauer - MVP Outlook
>
>   : Outlook Categories? Category Manager Is Your Tool
>   : VBOffice Reporter for Data Analysis & Reporting
>   : <http://www.vboffice.net/product.html?pub=6&lang=en>
>

> Am Wed, 18 Nov 2009 00:25:01 -0800 schrieb Old Man River:
>
> > It halts the code a that poind and launches the debugger. Very useful in
> > developing event driven code and in debugging large amounts of code that
> you
> > do not want to have to watch. Unlike setting a breakpoint it suvives
> closing
> > the application and relaunching.  Obviously doesn't work in a compiled
> > .com/.exe file where it acts like an End statement.
> >
> > Still not making any progress with the Application_Startup problem though.
> >
> > "Michael Bauer [MVP - Outlook]" wrote:
> >

> >> What do you think a Stop call would do? I'd assume it stops the code from
> >> any further execution.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best regards
> >> Michael Bauer - MVP Outlook
> >>
> >>   : Outlook Categories? Category Manager Is Your Tool
> >>   : VBOffice Reporter for Data Analysis & Reporting
> >>   : <http://www.vboffice.net/product.html?pub=6&lang=en>

> it
> >> tool.
> >> Tools
> >> reminder

> >> Outlook

> >> .
> >>
> .

If Application_Startup really is in ThisOutlookSession, that's weird. What
happens if you set macro security to the lowest level?

--

Am Wed, 18 Nov 2009 03:04:03 -0800 schrieb Old Man River:

> Just tried it with both Stop's commented out. No change even commented out
> the Private Sub Application_Startup() statement and reentered it. It just
> refuses to fire when I launch Outlook. I have stepped through it and it
works
> so it's not an invisible charater in the code or some other such trifle.
>
> "Michael Bauer [MVP - Outlook]" wrote:
>

>> Have you tried it without calling Stop?
>>
>> --
>> Best regards
>> Michael Bauer - MVP Outlook
>>
>>   : Outlook Categories? Category Manager Is Your Tool
>>   : VBOffice Reporter for Data Analysis & Reporting
>>   : <http://www.vboffice.net/product.html?pub=6&lang=en>
>>

>> Am Wed, 18 Nov 2009 00:25:01 -0800 schrieb Old Man River:
>>
>>> It halts the code a that poind and launches the debugger. Very useful in
>>> developing event driven code and in debugging large amounts of code that
>> you
>>> do not want to have to watch. Unlike setting a breakpoint it suvives
>> closing
>>> the application and relaunching.  Obviously doesn't work in a compiled
>>> .com/.exe file where it acts like an End statement.
>>>
>>> Still not making any progress with the Application_Startup problem
though.

>> it

Reminder)

Reminder)

>> .

0
Michael
11/18/2009 6:09:03 PM
Thank you for your patience Michael.

Firstly I can assure you that the code is in ThisOutlookSession. the title
of the window is "Microsoft Visual Basic - VbaProject - [ThisOutlookSession
(Code)]".

So I just tried your suggestions viz:
1. set Macro security to run all macros then
2. removed the certificate.

After both steps I restarted Outlook to no avail. (The Stop remains
commented out.)
The only difference was that I was not prompted to safeve the VBA Project
when I closed Outlook

I have sent a support request to MS.

Many Thanks - Alan

Please keep us informed.

--

Am Thu, 19 Nov 2009 00:38:01 -0800 schrieb Old Man River:

> Thank you for your patience Michael.
>
> Firstly I can assure you that the code is in ThisOutlookSession. the title
> of the window is "Microsoft Visual Basic - VbaProject -
[ThisOutlookSession
> (Code)]".
>
> So I just tried your suggestions viz:
> 1. set Macro security to run all macros then
> 2. removed the certificate.
>
> After both steps I restarted Outlook to no avail. (The Stop remains
> commented out.)
> The only difference was that I was not prompted to safeve the VBA Project
> when I closed Outlook
>
> I have sent a support request to MS.
>
> Many Thanks - Alan
>
> "Michael Bauer [MVP - Outlook]" wrote:
>

>> If Application_Startup really is in ThisOutlookSession, that's weird.
What
>> happens if you set macro security to the lowest level?
>>
>> --
>> Best regards
>> Michael Bauer - MVP Outlook
>>
>>   : Outlook Categories? Category Manager Is Your Tool
>>   : VBOffice Reporter for Data Analysis & Reporting
>>   : <http://www.vboffice.net/product.html?pub=6&lang=en>
>>

>> Am Wed, 18 Nov 2009 03:04:03 -0800 schrieb Old Man River:
>>
>>> Just tried it with both Stop's commented out. No change even commented
out
>>> the Private Sub Application_Startup() statement and reentered it. It
just
>>> refuses to fire when I launch Outlook. I have stepped through it and it
>> works
>>> so it's not an invisible charater in the code or some other such trifle.

>> though.

>> from

>> signed
Projects"
>> the

>> Reminder)

>> Reminder)

>> .

0
Michael
11/19/2009 5:47:22 PM
Michael - I think I have accidentally found the cause and solved the problem.

I was trying to add a button to a toolbar to call a macro which would do the
initialisation but the button would not stick when closing and re-opening
Outlook, the button just kept dissapearing.

I did a search and found some references to solving this kind of problem by
renaming outcmd.dat which apparently can become corrupted. I did this and now
when I open outlook the Application_Startup sub fires! So no need for the
button or extra sub anymore. will keep the prompt though. Am waiting for MS
to call back - it'll be interesting to see what they suggest before I tell
them.

Something to file in the "If all else fails and you've read the manual, try
this" folder.

Thank you for your interest

Regards
Alan

That's interesting, thanks.

--

Am Sun, 22 Nov 2009 05:58:02 -0800 schrieb Old Man River:

> Michael - I think I have accidentally found the cause and solved the
problem.

> I was trying to add a button to a toolbar to call a macro which would do
the
> initialisation but the button would not stick when closing and re-opening
> Outlook, the button just kept dissapearing.
>
> I did a search and found some references to solving this kind of problem
by
> renaming outcmd.dat which apparently can become corrupted. I did this and
now
> when I open outlook the Application_Startup sub fires! So no need for the
> button or extra sub anymore. will keep the prompt though. Am waiting for
MS
> to call back - it'll be interesting to see what they suggest before I tell
> them.
>
> Something to file in the "If all else fails and you've read the manual,
try
> this" folder.
>
> Thank you for your interest
>
> Regards
> Alan
>
> "Michael Bauer [MVP - Outlook]" wrote:
>

>> Please keep us informed.
>>
>> --
>> Best regards
>> Michael Bauer - MVP Outlook
>>
>>   : Outlook Categories? Category Manager Is Your Tool
>>   : VBOffice Reporter for Data Analysis & Reporting
>>   : <http://www.vboffice.net/product.html?pub=6&lang=en>
>>

>> Am Thu, 19 Nov 2009 00:38:01 -0800 schrieb Old Man River:
>>
>>> Thank you for your patience Michael.
>>>
>>> Firstly I can assure you that the code is in ThisOutlookSession. the
title
>>> of the window is "Microsoft Visual Basic - VbaProject -
>> [ThisOutlookSession
>>> (Code)]".
>>>
>>> So I just tried your suggestions viz:
>>> 1. set Macro security to run all macros then
>>> 2. removed the certificate.
>>>
>>> After both steps I restarted Outlook to no avail. (The Stop remains
>>> commented out.)
>>> The only difference was that I was not prompted to safeve the VBA
Project
>>> when I closed Outlook
>>>
>>> I have sent a support request to MS.
>>>
>>> Many Thanks - Alan

>> What

>> out
>> just

>> in
>> that

>> Projects"

>> starting

>> .

0
Michael
11/23/2009 8:46:58 AM
On checking I found that the bad Outcmd.dat file had grown to a massive
233,550KB, the new one is only 3KB.

I got some further info from MS. Viz:

"Apparently when we write the outcmd.dat file and VBA is loaded, we check if
there are any Application level events, and if there are, then we set a bit
that tells us to load VBA on boot. So if the outcmd.dat file is not present
or if the bit is not set properly, VBA will not load on boot.

If you want your macro to always be loaded, you could also try to set the
value of the LoadBehavior key to 3. The key is located under

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\NameOfTheAdd-In

By default, the value is 9, but if you set it to 3, you will always load the
macro and overwrite the default security settings for the respective add-in.

See also http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/19dax6cz(VS.80).aspx"

I don't think I want to mess with the registry!

"Michael Bauer [MVP - Outlook]" wrote:

> That's interesting, thanks.
>
> --
> Best regards
> Michael Bauer - MVP Outlook
>
>   : Outlook Categories? Category Manager Is Your Tool
>   : VBOffice Reporter for Data Analysis & Reporting
>   : <http://www.vboffice.net/product.html?pub=6&lang=en>
>

> Am Sun, 22 Nov 2009 05:58:02 -0800 schrieb Old Man River:
>
> > Michael - I think I have accidentally found the cause and solved the
> problem.
> >
> > I was trying to add a button to a toolbar to call a macro which would do
> the
> > initialisation but the button would not stick when closing and re-opening
> > Outlook, the button just kept dissapearing.
> >
> > I did a search and found some references to solving this kind of problem
> by
> > renaming outcmd.dat which apparently can become corrupted. I did this and
> now
> > when I open outlook the Application_Startup sub fires! So no need for the
> > button or extra sub anymore. will keep the prompt though. Am waiting for
> MS
> > to call back - it'll be interesting to see what they suggest before I tell
> > them.
> >
> > Something to file in the "If all else fails and you've read the manual,
> try
> > this" folder.
> >
> > Thank you for your interest
> >
> > Regards
> > Alan
> >
> > "Michael Bauer [MVP - Outlook]" wrote:
> >

> >> Please keep us informed.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best regards
> >> Michael Bauer - MVP Outlook
> >>
> >>   : Outlook Categories? Category Manager Is Your Tool
> >>   : VBOffice Reporter for Data Analysis & Reporting
> >>   : <http://www.vboffice.net/product.html?pub=6&lang=en>

> title
> >> [ThisOutlookSession

> Project

> >> What

> >> out
> >> just
> it
> trifle.

> useful
> >> in
> >> that
> compiled

> code

> >> Projects"
> from

> >> starting

> >> .
> >>
> .

I wonder if you had accidentally created too many of your button. Although
the Commandbar has been improved, since Office 2000 it is a good idea to
create commandbars and -buttons temporily only.

--

Am Tue, 24 Nov 2009 02:19:01 -0800 schrieb Old Man River:

> On checking I found that the bad Outcmd.dat file had grown to a massive
> 233,550KB, the new one is only 3KB.
>
> I got some further info from MS. Viz:
>
> "Apparently when we write the outcmd.dat file and VBA is loaded, we check
if
> there are any Application level events, and if there are, then we set a
bit
> that tells us to load VBA on boot. So if the outcmd.dat file is not
present
> or if the bit is not set properly, VBA will not load on boot.
>
> If you want your macro to always be loaded, you could also try to set the
> value of the LoadBehavior key to 3. The key is located under

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\NameOfTheAdd-In

> By default, the value is 9, but if you set it to 3, you will always load
the
> macro and overwrite the default security settings for the respective
add-in.

> See also http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/19dax6cz(VS.80).aspx"
0
Michael

CRM address book in Outlook

Voice connector on Exchange server 2007.

Outlook Sales

Outlook 2002 (office xp developer suite)

Moving from Outlook Express to Outlook

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

projecting the notes pages in PPT 2007

cannot open hyper links in outlook

outlook 97 and express email problems

Filters not working in Exchange 2003

using the journal on outlook

Outlook 2003 Drag and Drop Emails

outlook 2007 e-mail

Rule won't work
Outlook 2007 I have set up a rule to do the following; When I send or receive a message from a specific contact, play a sound, display in new item alert window, flag for follow up and move to a specific folder. But it is not doing anything. Do I need to change something else? What type of email account? Do other rules work? Does it work if you use any one action? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.out...

Are there free upgrades to Outlook 2000?

Outlook context menu lost most options
Hi there. I'd dearly love some help with this matter. It's been going on for months now. Has anyone got any idea how I can sort this issue out? "Jonathan E. (NZ)" <s_pam_stop@hotmail.comTAKEOUTTHESECAPS> wrote in message news:<eYICp6NCFHA.3976@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>... Hi there, I run outlook 2003. It would seem that the context menu has lost the plot. It looks like outlook has gone into some "mode" other than the one it is usually in by default. I have found that when I right click on any mail folder the context menu has very different options f...