I can't open Outlook 2003

I used detect and repair.  Didnt' work. I uninstalled and reinstalled.

Here is the error before Outlook closes
OUTLOOK UNABLE TO OPEN DEFAULT EMAIL FOLDERS
THE SERVER ISN'T AVAILABLE.

Use the Mail applet in the control panel to create a new mail profile.  Do
not copy the existing one, create new and then delete the old one.

"Miklos" <Miklos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I used detect and repair.  Didnt' work. I uninstalled and reinstalled.
>
> Here is the error before Outlook closes
> OUTLOOK UNABLE TO OPEN DEFAULT EMAIL FOLDERS
> THE SERVER ISN'T AVAILABLE.

0
neo
12/24/2009 3:16:05 AM
I can't create a new profile...Not sure how.
Outlook just closes when I try to open it.
The file Outlook.pst I have is 2.7 gig.  And when I point the settings to
it--it says unable to open--can't be found.

How can I create and load a new .pst?

"neo" wrote:

> Use the Mail applet in the control panel to create a new mail profile.  Do
> not copy the existing one, create new and then delete the old one.
>
> "Miklos" <Miklos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I used detect and repair.  Didnt' work. I uninstalled and reinstalled.
> >
> > Here is the error before Outlook closes
> > OUTLOOK UNABLE TO OPEN DEFAULT EMAIL FOLDERS
> > THE SERVER ISN'T AVAILABLE.
>
> .

Open the Windows control panel and use the Mail applet.  The first dialog
has three button, pick show profiles.  From there you can add a new mail
profile.  When you get the new one defined, you delete the old one.

This might help if stuck...
http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/profile.htm
http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/editprofile.htm

In regards to the .PST file, it might be okay that it is larger that 2GB as
Outlook 2003 and later do have a PST file format that allows it to be up to
20GB.  If the PST file is a carry over from earlier versions (Outlook
97-2002), then it is over the size limit of 2GB and is corrupt.  So go the
route of creating a new mail profile with a new PST file.  This will allow
you to continue sending/receiving new mail and then you can deal with the
2.7 gig pst file at a later time.

>I can't create a new profile...Not sure how.
> Outlook just closes when I try to open it.
> The file Outlook.pst I have is 2.7 gig.  And when I point the settings to
> it--it says unable to open--can't be found.
>
> How can I create and load a new .pst?
>

> "neo" wrote:
>
>> Use the Mail applet in the control panel to create a new mail profile.
>> Do
>> not copy the existing one, create new and then delete the old one.
>>
>> "Miklos" <Miklos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I used detect and repair.  Didnt' work. I uninstalled and reinstalled.
>> >
>> > Here is the error before Outlook closes
>> > OUTLOOK UNABLE TO OPEN DEFAULT EMAIL FOLDERS
>> > THE SERVER ISN'T AVAILABLE.
>>
>> .

0
neo
12/24/2009 8:40:36 AM
I did everything.  I made new profiles, tried to connect to outlook.pst and
Personal Folders.pst and a few other .pst files.
But Outlook keeps saying server isn't available and then closes.

I was using Outlook 2003 for years so all the .pst files are 2003 format.
I removed Outlook again and reinstalled it.
It just won't open or create a .pst file that allows it to open and stay open.

"neo" wrote:

> Open the Windows control panel and use the Mail applet.  The first dialog
> has three button, pick show profiles.  From there you can add a new mail
> profile.  When you get the new one defined, you delete the old one.
>
> This might help if stuck...
> http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/profile.htm
> http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/editprofile.htm
>
> In regards to the .PST file, it might be okay that it is larger that 2GB as
> Outlook 2003 and later do have a PST file format that allows it to be up to
> 20GB.  If the PST file is a carry over from earlier versions (Outlook
> 97-2002), then it is over the size limit of 2GB and is corrupt.  So go the
> route of creating a new mail profile with a new PST file.  This will allow
> you to continue sending/receiving new mail and then you can deal with the
> 2.7 gig pst file at a later time.
>
> "Miklos" <Miklos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I can't create a new profile...Not sure how.
> > Outlook just closes when I try to open it.
> > The file Outlook.pst I have is 2.7 gig.  And when I point the settings to
> > it--it says unable to open--can't be found.
> >
> > How can I create and load a new .pst?
> >

> > "neo" wrote:
> >
> >> Use the Mail applet in the control panel to create a new mail profile.
> >> Do
> >> not copy the existing one, create new and then delete the old one.
> >>
> >> "Miklos" <Miklos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> .
> >>

> .

Miklos bacsi

Did you delete the old profile as you were instructed by neo after setting up the
new one ?

--
Peter

>I did everything.  I made new profiles, tried to connect to outlook.pst and
> Personal Folders.pst and a few other .pst files.
> But Outlook keeps saying server isn't available and then closes.
>
> I was using Outlook 2003 for years so all the .pst files are 2003 format.
> I removed Outlook again and reinstalled it.
> It just won't open or create a .pst file that allows it to open and stay open.
>

> "neo" wrote:
>
>> Open the Windows control panel and use the Mail applet.  The first dialog
>> has three button, pick show profiles.  From there you can add a new mail
>> profile.  When you get the new one defined, you delete the old one.
>>
>> This might help if stuck...
>> http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/profile.htm
>> http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/editprofile.htm
>>
>> In regards to the .PST file, it might be okay that it is larger that 2GB as
>> Outlook 2003 and later do have a PST file format that allows it to be up to
>> 20GB.  If the PST file is a carry over from earlier versions (Outlook
>> 97-2002), then it is over the size limit of 2GB and is corrupt.  So go the
>> route of creating a new mail profile with a new PST file.  This will allow
>> you to continue sending/receiving new mail and then you can deal with the
>> 2.7 gig pst file at a later time.
>>
>> "Miklos" <Miklos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I can't create a new profile...Not sure how.
>> > Outlook just closes when I try to open it.
>> > The file Outlook.pst I have is 2.7 gig.  And when I point the settings to
>> > it--it says unable to open--can't be found.
>> >
>> > How can I create and load a new .pst?

>> .

0
Peter
12/24/2009 2:42:32 PM
Yes I deleted the profile....I made a new one and deleted that also.
And I moved all the .pst folders to another drive so I could start fresh.

"Peter Foldes" wrote:

> Miklos bacsi
>

> Did you delete the old profile as you were instructed by neo after setting up the
> new one ?
>
> --
> Peter

> "Miklos" <Miklos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I did everything.  I made new profiles, tried to connect to outlook.pst and
> > Personal Folders.pst and a few other .pst files.
> > But Outlook keeps saying server isn't available and then closes.
> >
> > I was using Outlook 2003 for years so all the .pst files are 2003 format.
> > I removed Outlook again and reinstalled it.
> > It just won't open or create a .pst file that allows it to open and stay open.
> >

> > "neo" wrote:
> >
> >> Open the Windows control panel and use the Mail applet.  The first dialog
> >> has three button, pick show profiles.  From there you can add a new mail
> >> profile.  When you get the new one defined, you delete the old one.
> >>
> >> This might help if stuck...
> >> http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/profile.htm
> >> http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/editprofile.htm
> >>
> >> In regards to the .PST file, it might be okay that it is larger that 2GB as
> >> Outlook 2003 and later do have a PST file format that allows it to be up to
> >> 20GB.  If the PST file is a carry over from earlier versions (Outlook
> >> 97-2002), then it is over the size limit of 2GB and is corrupt.  So go the
> >> route of creating a new mail profile with a new PST file.  This will allow
> >> you to continue sending/receiving new mail and then you can deal with the
> >> 2.7 gig pst file at a later time.
> >>
> >> "Miklos" <Miklos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> .
> >>

> .

In Changing the data files:

I saw that I need to use "tools / email" accounts to select a different
delivery location.  And that I can't delete the default data file. But
Outlook won't stay open for me to get to "tools"
I tried over and over to connect the 265kb .pst file for default but when I
open Outlook it says "Unable to open your default e-mail folders. the server
isn't available."

So what can I do?

"neo" wrote:

> Open the Windows control panel and use the Mail applet.  The first dialog
> has three button, pick show profiles.  From there you can add a new mail
> profile.  When you get the new one defined, you delete the old one.
>
> This might help if stuck...
> http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/profile.htm
> http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/editprofile.htm
>
> In regards to the .PST file, it might be okay that it is larger that 2GB as
> Outlook 2003 and later do have a PST file format that allows it to be up to
> 20GB.  If the PST file is a carry over from earlier versions (Outlook
> 97-2002), then it is over the size limit of 2GB and is corrupt.  So go the
> route of creating a new mail profile with a new PST file.  This will allow
> you to continue sending/receiving new mail and then you can deal with the
> 2.7 gig pst file at a later time.
>
> "Miklos" <Miklos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I can't create a new profile...Not sure how.
> > Outlook just closes when I try to open it.
> > The file Outlook.pst I have is 2.7 gig.  And when I point the settings to
> > it--it says unable to open--can't be found.
> >
> > How can I create and load a new .pst?
> >

> > "neo" wrote:
> >
> >> Use the Mail applet in the control panel to create a new mail profile.
> >> Do
> >> not copy the existing one, create new and then delete the old one.
> >>
> >> "Miklos" <Miklos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> .
> >>

> .

The mail applet in the control panel will let you get at the same settings.

Other than that and back to your other thread, what type of mail account are
you trying to setup that states the server isn't available?

> In Changing the data files:
>
> I saw that I need to use "tools / email" accounts to select a different
> delivery location.  And that I can't delete the default data file. But
> Outlook won't stay open for me to get to "tools"
> I tried over and over to connect the 265kb .pst file for default but when
> open Outlook it says "Unable to open your default e-mail folders. the
> server
> isn't available."
>
> So what can I do?
>
> "neo" wrote:
>
>> Open the Windows control panel and use the Mail applet.  The first dialog
>> has three button, pick show profiles.  From there you can add a new mail
>> profile.  When you get the new one defined, you delete the old one.
>>
>> This might help if stuck...
>> http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/profile.htm
>> http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/editprofile.htm
>>
>> In regards to the .PST file, it might be okay that it is larger that 2GB
>> as
>> Outlook 2003 and later do have a PST file format that allows it to be up
>> 20GB.  If the PST file is a carry over from earlier versions (Outlook
>> 97-2002), then it is over the size limit of 2GB and is corrupt.  So go
>> the
>> route of creating a new mail profile with a new PST file.  This will
>> allow
>> you to continue sending/receiving new mail and then you can deal with the
>> 2.7 gig pst file at a later time.
>>
>> "Miklos" <Miklos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I can't create a new profile...Not sure how.
>> > Outlook just closes when I try to open it.
>> > The file Outlook.pst I have is 2.7 gig.  And when I point the settings
>> > it--it says unable to open--can't be found.
>> >
>> > How can I create and load a new .pst?

>> .

0
neo
12/27/2009 6:37:29 PM
I have tried 15 times even without setting up a mail account.  But each time
Outlook says it can't open the default folder and it closes.

I have uninstalled Outlook...Cleaned out almost every registry entry that
says "Outlook" and I reinstalled Outlook.  I also tried repair.

I have used the Mail applet to create new profiles....I have deleted them
all.  I have created new .pst files at 265kb.  And everytime Outlook says it
can't open it.

I used the .pst repair tool and tried to connect Outlook to my original
files.  Still crashes.

Is there a registry hack I can change to make it open a .pst?

"neo" wrote:

> The mail applet in the control panel will let you get at the same settings.
>
> Other than that and back to your other thread, what type of mail account are
> you trying to setup that states the server isn't available?
>
> "Miklos" <Miklos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > In Changing the data files:
> >
> > I saw that I need to use "tools / email" accounts to select a different
> > delivery location.  And that I can't delete the default data file. But
> > Outlook won't stay open for me to get to "tools"
> > I tried over and over to connect the 265kb .pst file for default but when
> > open Outlook it says "Unable to open your default e-mail folders. the
> > server
> > isn't available."
> >
> > So what can I do?
> >
> > "neo" wrote:
> >
> >> Open the Windows control panel and use the Mail applet.  The first dialog
> >> has three button, pick show profiles.  From there you can add a new mail
> >> profile.  When you get the new one defined, you delete the old one.
> >>
> >> This might help if stuck...
> >> http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/profile.htm
> >> http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/editprofile.htm
> >>
> >> In regards to the .PST file, it might be okay that it is larger that 2GB
> >> as
> >> Outlook 2003 and later do have a PST file format that allows it to be up
> >> 20GB.  If the PST file is a carry over from earlier versions (Outlook
> >> 97-2002), then it is over the size limit of 2GB and is corrupt.  So go
> >> the
> >> route of creating a new mail profile with a new PST file.  This will
> >> allow
> >> you to continue sending/receiving new mail and then you can deal with the
> >> 2.7 gig pst file at a later time.
> >>
> >> "Miklos" <Miklos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> .
> >>

> .

Can you check your registry to see if the usage of PST file(s) has been
disabled?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896515

Note: The DisablePST value can be used under HKEY_CURRENT_USER as well as
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.  Also check the under the "Policies" keys.

>I have tried 15 times even without setting up a mail account.  But each
>time
> Outlook says it can't open the default folder and it closes.
>
> I have uninstalled Outlook...Cleaned out almost every registry entry that
> says "Outlook" and I reinstalled Outlook.  I also tried repair.
>
> I have used the Mail applet to create new profiles....I have deleted them
> all.  I have created new .pst files at 265kb.  And everytime Outlook says
> it
> can't open it.
>
> I used the .pst repair tool and tried to connect Outlook to my original
> files.  Still crashes.
>
> Is there a registry hack I can change to make it open a .pst?
>
> "neo" wrote:
>
>> The mail applet in the control panel will let you get at the same
>> settings.
>>
>> Other than that and back to your other thread, what type of mail account
>> are
>> you trying to setup that states the server isn't available?
>>
>> "Miklos" <Miklos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > In Changing the data files:
>> >
>> > I saw that I need to use "tools / email" accounts to select a different
>> > delivery location.  And that I can't delete the default data file. But
>> > Outlook won't stay open for me to get to "tools"
>> > I tried over and over to connect the 265kb .pst file for default but
>> > when
>> > open Outlook it says "Unable to open your default e-mail folders. the
>> > server
>> > isn't available."
>> >
>> > So what can I do?

>> .

0
neo
12/29/2009 9:23:48 PM
No..it isn't there...I'm on a home computer.  No one else uses it.

"neo" wrote:

> Can you check your registry to see if the usage of PST file(s) has been
> disabled?
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896515
>
> Note: The DisablePST value can be used under HKEY_CURRENT_USER as well as
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.  Also check the under the "Policies" keys.
>
> "Miklos" <Miklos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have tried 15 times even without setting up a mail account.  But each
> >time
> > Outlook says it can't open the default folder and it closes.
> >
> > I have uninstalled Outlook...Cleaned out almost every registry entry that
> > says "Outlook" and I reinstalled Outlook.  I also tried repair.
> >
> > I have used the Mail applet to create new profiles....I have deleted them
> > all.  I have created new .pst files at 265kb.  And everytime Outlook says
> > it
> > can't open it.
> >
> > I used the .pst repair tool and tried to connect Outlook to my original
> > files.  Still crashes.
> >
> > Is there a registry hack I can change to make it open a .pst?
> >
> > "neo" wrote:
> >
> >> The mail applet in the control panel will let you get at the same
> >> settings.
> >>
> >> Other than that and back to your other thread, what type of mail account
> >> are
> >> you trying to setup that states the server isn't available?
> >>
> >> "Miklos" <Miklos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> .
> >>

> .

Window panes in Outlook 2003
Just got 2003 and find a third window pane on the far right which is a preview pane for the selected e-mail, evidently. I can find no way to eliminate the window pane. Is there a way to remove this pane? How? I've tried every VIEW combination with no success. View > Reading Pane > Off doesn't work? -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "jay" <jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C953EF40-873E-4A04-93A8-FE101A547D0D@microsoft.com... > Just got 2003 and find a third window pane on the far right which is a > preview pane for the selected e-m...

removing replicated table information from MS Office Access 2003
I have a tool that exports .xml files which are then imported into a table. If I import the file without any replicated information (ie. s_ColLineage, etc) how would this affect the database? Is it safe to do this? Would I be better off just making the tables not replicable? Thanks On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 03:33:07 -0800, DukeJon <DukeJon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: Assuming your Access database does not need replicating, yes, it is safe to omit those fields during import. -Tom. >I have a tool that exports .xml files which are then imported into a table. >If I import the f...

Outlook 2003 and "Check Names"

Crash on 'Send"

Outlook needs Outlook Express to work

Password Issue with MS Money 2003