How to copy Rules & Alerts from one PC to another

I occasionally copy my Outlook.pst file from my desktop to my laptop when I
travel, and then back again when I get home.  I also export and import the
Rules & Alerts.  The problem is that the Rules & Alerts for my emails don't
copy over very well.  The rules are there, but they say "on other machine",
and most (but not all) of the rules that reference a specific email account
(e.g. when received through specified account) are missing the account
specification.  Since I have quite a few rules, it is laborious to fix all
these rules every time I transfer my files. Is there a way around this, e.g.
is there a file in the folders containing the Outlook files that I can copy
over, or some other solution?
--
Ed

And the version of Outlook?
Rules are contained within the data file, since outlook 2002

"Ed" <Ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I occasionally copy my Outlook.pst file from my desktop to my laptop when I
> travel, and then back again when I get home.  I also export and import the
> Rules & Alerts.  The problem is that the Rules & Alerts for my emails
> don't
> copy over very well.  The rules are there, but they say "on other
> machine",
> and most (but not all) of the rules that reference a specific email
> account
> (e.g. when received through specified account) are missing the account
> specification.  Since I have quite a few rules, it is laborious to fix all
> these rules every time I transfer my files. Is there a way around this,
> e.g.
> is there a file in the folders containing the Outlook files that I can
> copy
> over, or some other solution?
> --
> Ed

0
DL
12/23/2009 8:14:33 PM
I'm using Outlook 2007 with Windows 7 64-bit.

I figure that the rules appear to be stored in
C;/Users/{username]/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Outlook/Outlook.pst.  However, as
I mentioned, when I copy that file over, the rules say "For other machine".
The problem is that on the PC I copy Outlook.pst from, each rule has "on this
machine only" checked as a default, so I try to uncheck it, and for some
rules it allows me to uncheck it, but for other rules it just stays checked.
Why can't I uncheck it for all of the rules?

--
Ed

"DL" wrote:

> And the version of Outlook?
> Rules are contained within the data file, since outlook 2002
>
> "Ed" <Ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I occasionally copy my Outlook.pst file from my desktop to my laptop when I
> > travel, and then back again when I get home.  I also export and import the
> > Rules & Alerts.  The problem is that the Rules & Alerts for my emails
> > don't
> > copy over very well.  The rules are there, but they say "on other
> > machine",
> > and most (but not all) of the rules that reference a specific email
> > account
> > (e.g. when received through specified account) are missing the account
> > specification.  Since I have quite a few rules, it is laborious to fix all
> > these rules every time I transfer my files. Is there a way around this,
> > e.g.
> > is there a file in the folders containing the Outlook files that I can
> > copy
> > over, or some other solution?
> > --
> > Ed
>

> .

Now that I look at it some more, apparently when I also check on a rule
"through the specified account", that is when I cannot uncheck "on this
machine only".  So when I copy Outlook.pst from my desktop to my laptop,
those rules with "on this machine only" show up on the laptop with "(For
other machine)" in the rule name, and do not run on the laptop unless I
modify the rule.  Furthmore, when I modify the rule, it looses the "specified
account", and I have to reset that on the laptop.

So my guess is that I also need to copy over the file that has the email
account settings.  Which file contains those settings?
--
Ed

"DL" wrote:

> And the version of Outlook?
> Rules are contained within the data file, since outlook 2002
>
> "Ed" <Ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I occasionally copy my Outlook.pst file from my desktop to my laptop when I
> > travel, and then back again when I get home.  I also export and import the
> > Rules & Alerts.  The problem is that the Rules & Alerts for my emails
> > don't
> > copy over very well.  The rules are there, but they say "on other
> > machine",
> > and most (but not all) of the rules that reference a specific email
> > account
> > (e.g. when received through specified account) are missing the account
> > specification.  Since I have quite a few rules, it is laborious to fix all
> > these rules every time I transfer my files. Is there a way around this,
> > e.g.
> > is there a file in the folders containing the Outlook files that I can
> > copy
> > over, or some other solution?
> > --
> > Ed
>

> .

C: drive copy / backup to D:
I have installed a second hard drive (D:) which I intend to be a backup for the C: drive. All I would like to do is copy the entire C: drive to the D: drive on a weekly schedule. I've looked into the Backup utility in XP and it's close to what I want, but it makes a bkf file rather than a copy. This is not as convenient for me (I'd like to be able to manually examine the files on D:) also I read the bkf file is corrupted even with a single bit error. I've looked at some other freeware programs but its the same deal, although the compressed format differs from product ...

Why when i have more than one workbook open and i want to save ch.
When i want to close only one workbook all of them closes and then i have to reopen the ones i want Why? Hi at the top right of the screen do you see two X - the top one should close the application and all workbooks - the bottom one should close only the active workbook does this work for you? if not, does using File / Close from the menu work? Cheers JulieD "Jaykhi" <Jaykhi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6802A15F-D23B-4458-B1DE-8E56E3686B69@microsoft.com... > When i want to close only one workbook all of them closes and then i have > to > ...

series objects; finding specific ones in the collection
I asked this before but I'm still not clear on it. When ever I wish to create a new series, no big deal: Dim SeriesRandTarget As Series Set SeriesRandTarget = myChart.SeriesCollection.NewSeries As long as I have the object, I can use it. If I set the name attribute as in SeriesRandTarget .Name = "Hello" I can collect it later if needed by: Set myseries = myChart.SeriesCollection("Hello") But what about this? What is the new series name I just created in the below example? (The macro recorder has me in this fix!) myChart.SeriesCo...

copy rows with values
Hi First step is no problem: in Sheet1 col AI this formula is inserted with VB to add age groups =OM(OCH(Age>=0;Age<7);"a. 0-6";OM(OCH(Age>6;Age<16);"b. 7-15";OM(OCH(Age>15;Age<26);"c. 16-25";OM(OCH(Age>25);"d. 26-";"")))) Col is autofilled to last used row. In next step I loop thru these rows to find certain rows and copy them to Sheet2. Problem is that formula on each row is then copied. Instead I need it to be values only! Needs to work in Excel 2003 and 2007. Sheet1 can have >20 000 rows Any s...

Recalculate a field when another field's value changes
I have the following fields I'm working with; they are all on the same Form which comes from a query. MultiClassDisc TotalTuitions TotalTuitions is calculated by the sum of (4) other Tuition fields. I have a check box to trigger the calculation of the MultiClassDisc field which works off of the following code. If MultiClass.Value = vbTrue Then MultiClassDisc.Value = TotalTuitions * 0.1 Else MultiClassDisc.Value = 0 End If It works Ok.....when I check the box it calculates MultiClassDisc to be 10% of the TotalTuitions and when I click the box off it chan...

VBA code for copying on a range were cells are blank
Hi everyone, me again!! So, you were all so helpful with my earlier prob, thought i'd keep you going with another prob i'm having. OK, so what I want to do (in VBA if poss), is to search the range B2:E2 and see if they are blank. If yes, then I want to copy the cells above and then carry on searching that range. I can't do it upwards as its likely that there are going to be more than one set of blanks, e,g. A B C D E F 1 Joe Bloggs | 309873 | Smith, John | 08:00 | 12:00 | Back Office 2 | | ...

Copy contents of a cell into a blank cell
How do I copy the contents of cell B2 into cell D2 only if D2 is empty Hi It cannot be done with a formula - only with VBA. The following code should achieve what you described Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range) If Target.Address = "$D$2" Then If Range("D2") = "" Then Range("D2") = Range("B2").Value End If End Sub To Use Copy Code above Right click on sheet tab>View Code Paste code into white pane that appears Alt+F11 to return to Excel -- Regards Roger Govier "fire9...

Workflows not starting automatically with one user
I am having an issue where workflow rules that were created and worked fine in 1.2 are not start automatically in 3.0 for one user (me). I can manually start the rule and it's fine and others can do the same action that should start the rule and it works for them..just not me. My research tells me is probably related to me being an administrator and/or being an administrator when I created the rules. I've also been told to look at the user that the CRM workflow service runs as and make sure that service account has the correct privaleges-which it does. I am just not sure w...

Insert page from another Publisher file
I am trying to insert a page from one Publisher doc into another Publisher doc. I don't want to COPY/PASTE since that would mean I would have to reformatt the text. Help. If it is only one page, use the Painter tool. Open help and read how to use it. Copy/paste from one Publisher document to another doesn't change the formatting, have you tried? -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Mark Davies" <Mark Davies@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4FB773EB-AE03-484E-8818-EED12FFAC0FB@mi...

changes to master copy of worksheet automatically updates a copy in another location
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Hoping to make copies of worksheets that will update automatically when worksheets in the master set are modified. Is that possible? Would one do it by linking the whole sheet? I had to do something similar to this, this summer when my mother was in nursing home and I had to pay here bills. I had to put information in a given cell on page of the next succeeding sheet: this is but one example: =SUM(Sheet1!F19). Note the ! is not a mistake. If not in there it won't work. you have to do that for each instance need. The...

Moving contacts from 1 computer to another
I am really struggling here, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I have put Outlook 2000 on my new computer and I want to transfer all my contacts, notes etc from my old computer to the new one. I can't seem to figure it out. Thanks Scott just export (File, Import and Export, Export to a file, PST) from the old one and then import onto your new one N "Scott" <wyrks@gto.net> wrote in message news:064001c36bdd$ed554a00$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I am really struggling here, so any help would be greatly > appreciated. I have put Outlook 2000 on my new computer &g...

Copying File Properties of Excel Worksheet
Hello I want to know if it is possible to enter all the file properties, Title, Subject Author, Manager, Company Category, key words from the File>>Properties>>Summary menu and copy these into other Worksheets automatically. can this be done with a MACRO or script? Trying to find a way to get lazy people to fill in these blanks Serno001 Worksheets don't have Properties. Workbooks have Properties. Why would you want to copy the same properties data to each workbook? Wouldn't a lot of those custom properties be unique to its own workbook? Like Author, keywords etc....

One graphic in my document prints as a black box..?
My publisher document contains numerous pictures/graphics but one picture prints as a black box from my HP Photosmart 8750. It prints fine on my laserjet printers and looks perfect in print preview. Is this a printer issue or a Publisher issue? Can anyone help? You might try changing the graphic file type, i.e., change from a jpg to a gif. This can be easily done with Irvanview. http://www.irfanview.com/ -- Don - Publisher 2000� Vancouver, USA "kellypendergrass" <kellypendergrass@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:77E1BDB8-32A0-4C72-A...

Copying values between worksheets
This seems a simple problem, but I can't find the answer: I am setting up multiple worksheets (one per month); the closing balance on Jan becomes the opening balance on Feb; if, for example, the opening balance is in cell F38 and the closing one in F42, then in cell F38 in Feb I enter =, then click on F42 in the Jan sheet. However copying across to the other sheets results in all sheets referencing Jan!F42. I understand why sheets can't be treated in a relative way, but is there an easy way of copying this without resorting to VBA? Cheers, ABriggs -- ABriggs -----------------...

opening tablet PC excel files

Chart background color not copying along
Hi, I have a problem with charts that are placed on seperate chartsheets within my workbook. The chart-area is filled in different of yellow with a fill-effect. No problems thus far. But now when I'm copying the chart to word, the background-fill is reset to a black/white scheme instead of yellow. Strange behaviour that didn't occur up till november 2008. I've been researching this for a while. Up till now I found the following: This only happens when the chart is on a seperate sheet, not when it is positioned on a worksheet. It only happens with fill-effects. The color-swit...

One question about Modal Dialog
I want to set the position of a modal dialog,how? By the way,Why PreCreateWindow is not called when modal dialog is shown? ...

Copying "To-Do List" entries to Word or Excel
I track all of my "things to do" on Outlook 2007 Tasks manager. I want to be able to print "to do lists" for specific categories and be able to transfer all of "to do" entries under a specific category, ie, Monthly Team Meeting, into a Word document to edit for agendas. How can I export my list of "things to do" from Tasks to be used hard copy or in Word? -- Tom Copy and paste... see http://www.slipstick.com/Tutorials/copyto/excel.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook &...

Virtual PC for ReadyServer
Hi guys, I'd like to download Virtual PC Name: ReadyServer. Where can I get it? Thanks, You will find a copy of it on the MCT-download site. You have to be a certified Trainer to log in -- Jos van Vegchel Atricon Information Services, the Netherlands MCT MCSA/E MCTIP MBSS/P CCNA A+ Network+ "Toi Day" <ToiDay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:55E0BBBB-D084-4CCF-A7CD-A5E25E2651FB@microsoft.com... > Hi guys, > > I'd like to download Virtual PC Name: ReadyServer. Where can I get it? > > Thanks, > > Hi Try this: http://www...

How to copy shortcuts and special folders.
Hi, I would like to ask how to copy shortcuts and special folders. I could not find too much information in the help. Is it posible to find even any samples somwhere? Thanks, Lubomir Which special folder? Try GetSpecialFolder or find your folder then use this to copy them BOOL CopyFiles(CString Filename,CString To) { SHFILEOPSTRUCT FileOpStruct; char *Temp = new char[Filename.GetLength()+2]; sprintf(Temp,"%s",Filename); char *Temp1 = new char[To.GetLength()+2]; sprintf(Temp1,"%s",To); ZeroMemory(&FileOpStruct,sizeof(SHFILEOPSTRUCT)); FileOpStr...

copy paste format problem
I am copy/paste data from emails to excel. The font in the email doesn't fit the cells. I get a clip board asking me if I want to match the destionation, I have to click on that I do everytime I input the data. Any help?? Thanks Try to Right click on the destination cell and Paste Special... then select Values. It should just paste it as Excel's default text. "Cherie" wrote: > I am copy/paste data from emails to excel. The font in the email doesn't fit > the cells. > I get a clip board asking me if I want to match the destionation, I have to > click on...

Save and transfer Outlook 2007 Profiles to another computer?
Using multiple (prompt) profiles on a computer apprx 23 of them. Is there a way to export/save them and then import into another workstation? I'm setting up five workstations, so the user can have access to their mail on any one of them. OR do I have to enter them each time on each computer? When the users are remote they use WebMail to read their mail via the Internet. I have each user profile setup to leave a copy of the messages on the Server and when the user deletes them - they are deleted on the server also. Using Xp Professional and Outlook 2007. thx John D Leonard -- Sag...

how do i enter data using formula and the Copy command For exa.
how do i enter data using formula and the Copy command For exmple Cell c4 is = b4* 1.07 then to enter formulass to replace all the numbers in the range c4:e8 and c12:e15 ...

More than one Intenret Account usage
Hi I am having an issue. I have 3 e-mail accounts configured in my MS Outlook 2000, configured to work as a Workgroup How can I choose the account to send a mail? I mean, I have account 1, account 2 and account 3. How can I choose to send a mail with the account 2? Is there a way to select the account as in Outlook Express? TIA Christian Thies It's not easy to choose a sending account in Corporate/Workgroup mode. See http://www.slipstick.com/mail1/sendaccount.htm#cw for more information and your options. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address w...

When I click on a column, that column and one to its right is sele
For some reason, on my first spreadsheet, when I click on a column, the one to its right is also selected. It doesn;t happen on all the columns. What did I do to cause that? Thank you for any assistance. I bet you merged some cells. Select those two columns and then Rightclick on any of the selected cells Format cells|Alignment tab Look for merged cells. You'll see that it's a mixture of merged cells (either a green square or a grey checkbox -- depends on the version). You can remove the merged cells by clearing that checkbox. But you may want to look to see if you removed som...