Viewing OWA using the Outlook Full Client Browser

I just tried to access my corporate email account using OWA from within the
Outlook full client running on my personal machine. I find it quite funny
that OWA serves up its non-IE version when displayed using browser built
into Outlook.

0
David

Not really considering Outlook is running in a much higher security
configuration than Internet Explorer and has a lot of features disabled.

Just curious; why are you accessing the OWA website via Outlook? Ask your
email admin if they also offer direct access to the corporate email servers
via Outlook Anywhere (RPC over HTTP).

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
http://www.howto-outlook.com/

http://www.msoutlook.info/

-----

"David C. Holley" <David.C.Holley> wrote in message
> I just tried to access my corporate email account using OWA from within
> the Outlook full client running on my personal machine. I find it quite
> funny that OWA serves up its non-IE version when displayed using browser
> built into Outlook.

0
Roady
11/18/2009 8:51:54 AM
Why not use IE? Outlook locks down the browser stub it uses more than IE
does.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

"David C. Holley" <David.C.Holley> wrote in message
> I just tried to access my corporate email account using OWA from within
> the Outlook full client running on my personal machine. I find it quite
> funny that OWA serves up its non-IE version when displayed using browser
> built into Outlook.

0
Diane
11/18/2009 4:48:21 PM
My organization has very, very tight policies in place about accessing the
network from non-company assests. So in order to check our email outside of
the network its OWA. However, I use the Outlook Full Client for my personal
emails. Its just sort of annoying to have to use Firefox or IE to access it.

While I get that the full client works with tigher security, I was under the
impression MS built into OWA a browser sniffer which serves up a striped
down version of OWA when its access from any browser other than IE. I didn't
think that the tigher security with the full client effected the look and
feel of OWA when viewed within it.

message news:edjZwxCaKHA.740@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Not really considering Outlook is running in a much higher security
> configuration than Internet Explorer and has a lot of features disabled.
>
> Just curious; why are you accessing the OWA website via Outlook? Ask your
> email admin if they also offer direct access to the corporate email
> servers via Outlook Anywhere (RPC over HTTP).
>
> --
> Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
> http://www.howto-outlook.com/
>
> http://www.msoutlook.info/
>
> -----
>
> "David C. Holley" <David.C.Holley> wrote in message
>> I just tried to access my corporate email account using OWA from within
>> the Outlook full client running on my personal machine. I find it quite
>> funny that OWA serves up its non-IE version when displayed using browser
>> built into Outlook.

0
David
11/18/2009 6:47:14 PM
When I asked about seting up my full client to access Outlook via HTTP, I
was told that it was out of bounds in terms of our security policies.

message news:edjZwxCaKHA.740@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Not really considering Outlook is running in a much higher security
> configuration than Internet Explorer and has a lot of features disabled.
>
> Just curious; why are you accessing the OWA website via Outlook? Ask your
> email admin if they also offer direct access to the corporate email
> servers via Outlook Anywhere (RPC over HTTP).
>
> --
> Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
> http://www.howto-outlook.com/
>
> http://www.msoutlook.info/
>
> -----
>
> "David C. Holley" <David.C.Holley> wrote in message
>> I just tried to access my corporate email account using OWA from within
>> the Outlook full client running on my personal machine. I find it quite
>> funny that OWA serves up its non-IE version when displayed using browser
>> built into Outlook.

0
David
11/18/2009 6:52:12 PM
Too bad. It's funny that they do allow OWA though ;-)

You could place a shortcut to your OWA website in the Shortcuts Navigation
though. This will still gives you easy access and clicking the link there
would automatically fire it up in your default browser.

--

> When I asked about seting up my full client to access Outlook via HTTP, I
> was told that it was out of bounds in terms of our security policies.
>
> "Roady [MVP]" <newsgroups_DELETE_@_DELETE_sparnaaij_NO_._SPAM_net> wrote
> in message news:edjZwxCaKHA.740@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> Not really considering Outlook is running in a much higher security
>> configuration than Internet Explorer and has a lot of features disabled.
>>
>> Just curious; why are you accessing the OWA website via Outlook? Ask your
>> email admin if they also offer direct access to the corporate email
>> servers via Outlook Anywhere (RPC over HTTP).
>>
>> --
>> Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
>> Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003
>> http://www.howto-outlook.com/
>> Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more
>>
>> http://www.msoutlook.info/
>> Real World Questions, Real World Answers
>>
>> -----
>>
>> "David C. Holley" <David.C.Holley> wrote in message
>>> I just tried to access my corporate email account using OWA from within
>>> the Outlook full client running on my personal machine. I find it quite
>>> funny that OWA serves up its non-IE version when displayed using browser
>>> built into Outlook.

0
Roady
11/18/2009 10:20:27 PM
I think it has to do with how Outlook Anywhere operates versus OWA. I ended
up adding a folder and setting its home page to pont to the OWA site. Works,
but its awfully ugly.

message news:uBtzl1JaKHA.1640@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Too bad. It's funny that they do allow OWA though ;-)
>
> You could place a shortcut to your OWA website in the Shortcuts Navigation
> though. This will still gives you easy access and clicking the link there
> would automatically fire it up in your default browser.
>
> --
> Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
> http://www.howto-outlook.com/
>
> http://www.msoutlook.info/
>
> -----
>
> "David C. Holley" <David.C.Holley> wrote in message
>> When I asked about seting up my full client to access Outlook via HTTP, I
>> was told that it was out of bounds in terms of our security policies.
>>
>> "Roady [MVP]" <newsgroups_DELETE_@_DELETE_sparnaaij_NO_._SPAM_net> wrote
>> in message news:edjZwxCaKHA.740@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>> Not really considering Outlook is running in a much higher security
>>> configuration than Internet Explorer and has a lot of features disabled.
>>>
>>> Just curious; why are you accessing the OWA website via Outlook? Ask
>>> your email admin if they also offer direct access to the corporate email
>>> servers via Outlook Anywhere (RPC over HTTP).
>>>
>>> --
>>> Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
>>> Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003
>>> http://www.howto-outlook.com/
>>> Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more
>>>
>>> http://www.msoutlook.info/
>>> Real World Questions, Real World Answers
>>>
>>> -----
>>>
>>> "David C. Holley" <David.C.Holley> wrote in message

0
David
11/19/2009 3:02:04 AM
Spoke too soon and now I remember why this didn't work when I tried it way
back when. When the home page is first rendered, it appears in its non-IE
format and as such is fully functional. But when the full client is closed
and reopened, OWA is rendered in its IE format which includes script that
the full client isn't happy with.

message news:uBtzl1JaKHA.1640@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Too bad. It's funny that they do allow OWA though ;-)
>
> You could place a shortcut to your OWA website in the Shortcuts Navigation
> though. This will still gives you easy access and clicking the link there
> would automatically fire it up in your default browser.
>
> --
> Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
> http://www.howto-outlook.com/
>
> http://www.msoutlook.info/
>
> -----
>
> "David C. Holley" <David.C.Holley> wrote in message
>> When I asked about seting up my full client to access Outlook via HTTP, I
>> was told that it was out of bounds in terms of our security policies.
>>
>> "Roady [MVP]" <newsgroups_DELETE_@_DELETE_sparnaaij_NO_._SPAM_net> wrote
>> in message news:edjZwxCaKHA.740@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>> Not really considering Outlook is running in a much higher security
>>> configuration than Internet Explorer and has a lot of features disabled.
>>>
>>> Just curious; why are you accessing the OWA website via Outlook? Ask
>>> your email admin if they also offer direct access to the corporate email
>>> servers via Outlook Anywhere (RPC over HTTP).
>>>
>>> --
>>> Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
>>> Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003
>>> http://www.howto-outlook.com/
>>> Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more
>>>
>>> http://www.msoutlook.info/
>>> Real World Questions, Real World Answers
>>>
>>> -----
>>>
>>> "David C. Holley" <David.C.Holley> wrote in message

0
David

Outlook Sales

Outlook 2002 (office xp developer suite)

owa cant open ppt attachments

OWA 2003 prompting to install office?
Hello, We have a single server environment: Windows 2003, Exchange 2003, OWA 2003. Some users are having problems using OWA. When trying to compose a new message, or forward a received message, they are prompted to install some missing feature of Outlook 2000 (DATA1.MSI).. Any idea what is causing this?! Thanks, Troy Hi Troy, Take a look at.. http://hellomate.typepad.com/exchange/2003/12/i_hope_youve_ ha.html "Have you wondered why, when you first use OWA 2000 and 2003, and click the New Message icon to create a new message, the Office Installer is fired-up and you're p...

"View Image Slide Show"

WCF Client serialization problem

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

Using Relative path for XML data file?