Using the Display As name in a mail merge

Outlook 2003 mail merge to word, when the merge completes it uses the email 
address (sometimes more cyptic) than the Display As: which has the name and 
email address.  How do I make the merge use the Display As field?
0
Utf
12/31/2009 10:34:01 PM
outlook.general 7254 articles. 4 followers. Follow

3 Replies
681 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 36

Post is far too vague to permit an answer. What type of merge are you 
creating? To which merge field are you referring? Why do you think you need 
the Email Display As field for anything?
-- 
Russ Valentine
"JohnnyMac" <JohnnyMac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:3CD56C38-57EA-4E64-88C9-18CFC197740E@microsoft.com...
> Outlook 2003 mail merge to word, when the merge completes it uses the 
> email
> address (sometimes more cyptic) than the Display As: which has the name 
> and
> email address.  How do I make the merge use the Display As field? 

0
Russ
12/31/2009 11:08:45 PM
I am starting in Word 2003 and creating a merge email document using a 
categorized group of contacts from my Outlook.  I am doing this because BCc 
is often misunderstood by recipient since their name is not readily apparent 
(in the TO: field) and can be discarded.  If I use the "distribution list" in 
Outlook then everyone's address will be displayed to everyone else.  So 
that's why I'm using the merge in Word and I am pleased with the results of 
that - individual emails as opposed to group.  Why do I need the "display 
as:" to show - well two reasons, more personal for the recipient I have been 
communicating with using the display as for the past period and secondly when 
I search within my sent or other designated folders it is much easier to 
find.  These emails are project oriented, I have not yet met the recipients 
until they arrive at the project workshop, so the addresses are not readily 
recognizable by me.

Now you tell me why I need to justify to you 'why' I want to use the Display 
as field.



"Russ Valentine" wrote:

> Post is far too vague to permit an answer. What type of merge are you 
> creating? To which merge field are you referring? Why do you think you need 
> the Email Display As field for anything?
> -- 
> Russ Valentine
> "JohnnyMac" <JohnnyMac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:3CD56C38-57EA-4E64-88C9-18CFC197740E@microsoft.com...
> > Outlook 2003 mail merge to word, when the merge completes it uses the 
> > email
> > address (sometimes more cyptic) than the Display As: which has the name 
> > and
> > email address.  How do I make the merge use the Display As field? 
> 
> .
> 
0
Utf
1/3/2010 11:34:01 AM
So the answer to my question was that you are creating a merge to electronic 
mail and the filed you want to populate is the recipients actual email 
address used for sending the message, not one of the merge fields.
The reason it was important to try to figure out what you wanted to do is 
that I suspected you were misguided in your thinking. You aren't really 
controlling what the recipient sees by using the "email display as" field. 
You must use the E-mail field if you want the message to be sent.
-- 
Russ Valentine
"JohnnyMac" <JohnnyMac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:22464E21-22DD-439F-A146-8F071D5AD8A2@microsoft.com...
>I am starting in Word 2003 and creating a merge email document using a
> categorized group of contacts from my Outlook.  I am doing this because 
> BCc
> is often misunderstood by recipient since their name is not readily 
> apparent
> (in the TO: field) and can be discarded.  If I use the "distribution list" 
> in
> Outlook then everyone's address will be displayed to everyone else.  So
> that's why I'm using the merge in Word and I am pleased with the results 
> of
> that - individual emails as opposed to group.  Why do I need the "display
> as:" to show - well two reasons, more personal for the recipient I have 
> been
> communicating with using the display as for the past period and secondly 
> when
> I search within my sent or other designated folders it is much easier to
> find.  These emails are project oriented, I have not yet met the 
> recipients
> until they arrive at the project workshop, so the addresses are not 
> readily
> recognizable by me.
>
> Now you tell me why I need to justify to you 'why' I want to use the 
> Display
> as field.
>
>
>
> "Russ Valentine" wrote:
>
>> Post is far too vague to permit an answer. What type of merge are you
>> creating? To which merge field are you referring? Why do you think you 
>> need
>> the Email Display As field for anything?
>> -- 
>> Russ Valentine
>> "JohnnyMac" <JohnnyMac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:3CD56C38-57EA-4E64-88C9-18CFC197740E@microsoft.com...
>> > Outlook 2003 mail merge to word, when the merge completes it uses the
>> > email
>> > address (sometimes more cyptic) than the Display As: which has the name
>> > and
>> > email address.  How do I make the merge use the Display As field?
>>
>> .
>> 

0
Russ
1/3/2010 12:13:24 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Cannot log in using WindowsID (was able to before)
I just bought MS Money 2007 Deluxe yesterday. The install went smooth, without any issues. I registered a new WindowsID and was able to successfully log into MS Money. However, today when I tried to log into MS Money, the messge apeared that the "Money was not able to recognize your WindowsID" or something like it and that "You will still have access to some functions but will not be able to make online updates". Now I'm not able to make updates. Any idea what this could be? Is the authentication server for WindowsID down or something? See the post under Mon...

Default value of combo box based on another that uses DLookUp
Hi, I have a problem I'm trying to overcome regarding just one form which gets its data from 1 table. I'm trying to set the default value of a combo box to be the same as another combo box on the same form. The scenario is: I have a form for entering info about financial planning Statements Of Advice. Each client has a Plan Writer prepare their plan. To find the plan writer that last prepared the plan for a client I have a combo box with a DLookUp as its Control Source. =DLookUp("Plan_Writer","qryDefault_Planwriter","[Client]=Form![Client]") I'm usin...

Can't use Merge feature
If I have a postcard file I've already made on the screen, when I try to pull up the "Merge" feature under Tools, it is shaded grey and I can't open it. It insists that I either form a new database list of addresses or edit the one that I want to merge. I don't want to edit the one I want to merge. I just want to MERGE it. If, however, I have just a postcard template on the screen (without it having been made into anything), I CAN pull up the "merge" feature under Tools. It is not shaded out. How do I un-shade the "merge" feature? To merg...

Cannot send mail from outlook, error 0x800CCC78
This message started to appear back in Sept and I haven't been able to send e-mail from Outlook ever since (apart from a 2 day period in Novemeber when the issue disappeared just as quickly as it appeared). I now have to cut and paste e-mail i recieve into the e-mail interface of my provider in order to get e-mail sent. I have posted this error 3 times now and haven't got a solution, plenty of questions about versions, platforms, port numbers etc etc, but no fix. Judging by the hits on google to this, it is and established problem. Come on Microsoft, do your stuff.....

hyperlinking to an item in Global Address List Options
I have had success linking via html from web page to opening a specific contact record from Microsoft Outlook. I have done it like this: outlook://Big%20Contacts/Contacts/~Peter%20Crawford However, my very large contact database also has people with basically the same name, like John Smith. In the current "Address Card" view inside Microsoft Outlook, one of the John Smith's is always sorted first. If I enter outlook://Big%20Contacts/Contacts/~John%20Smith the first John Smith in the sort order is always opened. However, I want to specify one of the other John Smith's....

Change outbound server in header to fix 550 Can't verify your host name error
The headers on the outbound emails show the internal DNS name of our exchange server; obviously this won't resolve properly at the destination. How/where in Exchange 5.5 can I force the IMC to use a real fqdn on outbound mail? Thanks! Frinky You can do this in TCP/IP properties\Advanced\DNS tab of machine. And yes, this is not just for Exchange, so you may consider forwarding all outgoing mail to some relay server (your firewall or ISP's server). Professor Frink wrote: > The headers on the outbound emails show the internal DNS name of our > exchange server; obviously this...

Restore Exchange 5.5 on 2000 using ArcServe
I've got - Windows NT 4 Server SP6 - Exchange 5.5 SP3 - ArcServeIT 6.61 with Exchange Agent I'm trying to restore the Exchange information (database, mailbox... everything) on another computer. That computer has - Windows 2000 Server SP4 - Exchange 2000 - Brighstore ArcServe 9 (build 2020) with Exchange Agent ------------------- Now the situation: I need to verify that the backup was made correctly (entirely) in order to confirm the total validity of the backup (to validate my disaster recovery plan) and to update to SP4. I tried to find documentation with both Microsoft (for Ex...

Intermittent display
Hi, recently i encountered this problem on my PC. When i press the ON button, the monitor shows the normal starting up image for only 1 second and then it went black. Then, because my computer has a CPU FAN error (probably because the starting speed of my fan is a little slow), it would beep 3times and prompt me to press F1. During this time, the image would appear on the monitor for 1sec and then, becomes black again. Then, as it loads and enters window, it will flash yet again and i can see the cursor of my mouse at the center of the screen for that 1 second. Everything is running normall...

display name #2
hi i have this problem: when i send a mail massage from an application by exchange 2003, in outlook i see the e-mail address (xx@mydomain .com) and not display name (Customer Care) how can i resolve it? Thanks An application should allow you to specify display name for sender. Does it send via SMTP or MAPI? Matrix_pd wrote: > hi > i have this problem: when i send a mail massage from an application by > exchange 2003, in outlook i see the e-mail address (xx@mydomain .com) and > not display name (Customer Care) > > how can i resolve it? > > Thanks -- Please re...

mail and calender
I believe I used to see a small calender on the right of my screen when in outlook mail. It would also spell out the nature of upcoming appointments. Can't seen to recall this option. Please help. It's called the Date Navigator. How you get it back on depends on your version. Please enlighten us - which version of Outlook are you running????? -- Regards Judy Gleeson MVP Outlook www.judygleeson.com www.deskdoctors.com Are you sick of bad email practice? Get a copy of my paper "Implementing Email Policy" from the Desk Doctors website. "Sc...

automatically naming files for savingb
Hi, for delivery notes i would like excel to look in the relative directory for a given customer, ie if C4 contains superspecs, files relating to this account would be in c:\work\superspecs\ files are named superspecsdel0001,superspecsdel0002.......etc superspecsinv0001...etc for delivery notes and invoices. what i would like is a line (or more) to add to a macro which will look in the appropriate directory, add 1 to the last four digits of the last file, enter this number into a cell on the sheet and save the new file with the appropriate name, then close the file. is this possible, or alte...

Save As using contents of Cell in Name
Can someone help with code that changes the "save As" file name to combination of the original File Name + the contents of a cell, an saves file in same folder as the original. E.G. Original File Name= Timesheet Cells B1= Location Cell C1 = Date in format 3-5-2004 Cell A1 = concatenate(B1,C1) Fle Name will therefore be "Timesheet Location 3-5-2004" The other problem is with the date. When concatenating, how do I forma the date to avoid it looking like "Location 38051" Any help much appreciated Nic -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi for c...

How to use structured reference (ListColumns) in VBA
I want to do something simple...loop through a range retrieving values one at time and taking action on that value. This range is an Excel 2007 table column. Easy enough...BUT I want to use structured references to a table column by NAME, not numbers. I don't want to define new names, just use the table column headings. I've found ways of doing it with quotes, but that's not structured....the names in quotes do not change if the table heading is changed by the user. The formulas change if the table column heading is changed, but I want it to change in VBA to...

Error- Project is used by another user -Please select another proj
Please see the subject line, when im trying to open a particular project. it gives me following error. I checked the current users, there are no users. Apart from me. There are some non PA users,i tried to remove them from activity. inspite of me removing them from activity, im geting the same error. Help !!! Ramakrishnan Hello Ram, There is a stranded user in PA000001 table. You need to clear this User/Project combination. Ajay "Ram" wrote: > Please see the subject line, when im trying to open a particular project. > it gives me following error. > > I che...

Using Excel in Mac office 2004 with Microsoft/Mac 2008:Analysis toolpack
Although I am disappointed with Office 2008 for Mac because of the absent of Analysis toolpack, I figured things out quite recently that I can still install my Mac office 2004 and use the excel package that contains the Analysis tool pack. How? ...... let me show you: 1. Insert your CD for Mac office 2004 2. When it open on your desk top, two options will be given to you to download the software (a) Office set-up assistant, and (b) Microsoft office 2004. 3. CHOOSE MICROSOFT OFFICE 2004 (Drag the icon onto your desk top) and it will start to run/download. 4. When done, this will appear as ...

How to obtain enumerated attribute declarations from a DTD using MSXML & VB?
I have a VB (VB6, not .NET) application that reads an XML file (using MSXML v3.2 parser); the XML file contains a reference to an external DTD. The DTD has numerous enumerated attribute declarations like so: <!ATTLIST MyElement MyAttribute (One | Two | Three) "One" > The VB code needs to generate dynamic pick-list for all the attributes that appear in the DTD as part of a data-entry application; each dynamically created pick list should contain all the allowable values for the attribute as defined by the DTD (and presented in some kind of multiple choice control like a comb...

Outlook 2003 not displaying multipart/mixed messages properly
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0017_01C49BFC.AB34E1D0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I know that Outlook is known for having problems displaying = multipart/mixed messages but this is just weird. I am using Outlook 2003 with a POP email account and occasionally with = an email that has been exchanged a few times already and I will send out = a reply and when the person replies back to me what they wrote no longer = appears in the email. I basically get back a copy of the email I sent =...

Excel not displaying German characters correctly.
This is a real puzzler. Has our entire office and IT department stumped. We have two machines (M1 / M2) which are equal spec/ operating system, applications, versions, etc... The only difference that we can see between the two machines is that one (M1) has Internet Explorer encoding set to "UTF-8" with "Automatic" selected. The other (M2) has "Western European ISO" with no automatic selected. Now, when the machines log into a web application and choose to download a German Excel file, M1 and M2 get the file correctly if they have their encoding settings...

mail server
Is Exchange an absolute must? Can I do without it? Can any other mail server do? Thank you. Hi Bill, Exchange is not required. There are 3 scenario's: 1) Exchange -> email can be sent and received in CRM 2) SMTP -> email can be sent from CRM but not received 3) Nothing -> email cannot be used from CRM. For more info http://blogs.msdn.com/midatlanticcrm/archive/2006/01/05/Running_Microsoft_CRM_without_Exchange_Server.aspx Hope this helps, -- Ronald Lemmen Avanade Netherlands http://ronaldlemmen.blogspot.com/ "bill tie" wrote: > > Is Exchange an abso...

formula to get sheet name
hi, can a formula retreive a worksheet name or does it need to be macro based? thanks, N.S. Hi Nigel, This formula that takes care of the possible situation whereby you have only one sheet in the workbook and its name is the same as the workbook's. Note: CELL("filename") will only work if the file has been saved at least once and if the file is opened in a different language system, the argument "filename" will need to be changed manually to the corresponding word (e.g. in Spanish "nombrearchivo"): =LOOKUP(REPT("z",255),SUBSTITUTE(MID(CE...

Consulta Exchange 5.5 Mails con fondo
Estimados: Alguien sabe si es posible configurar un servidor Exchange 5.5 para que los mails enviados salgan con un fondo (bacground) predeterminado? Gracias. ...

Using Risk+ with MSP 2007
We use Risk+ as a risk simulation tool. We have discovered that it works approximately 20 times SLOWER in MSP 2007 than MSP 2003. Has anyone else run into this problem. If so, is there a remedy? My hunch this not a generic issue, but surely best that you consult with the Risk+ people on this. --rms www.rmschneider.com On 02/03/10 18:08, Tom Mc wrote: > We use Risk+ as a risk simulation tool. We have discovered that it works > approximately 20 times SLOWER in MSP 2007 than MSP 2003. Has anyone else run > into this problem. If so, is there a remedy? W...

changing a name in mulit parts of a document
I am setting up a word document. This will be used as a template In this document I wish to insert the same "name" throughtout this document. Is it possible to change the name in one spot and all of the others change automatically thanks See http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Repeating_Data.htm -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>...

Using subtotals as single data entries
Sorry about the subject--I couldn't figure out how to describe it simply. I have a large file (16,000 records) of amounts billed by roughly 10,000 service providers. A number of these providers have multiple office locations, so each record is unique to a specific office location. In other words, a provider who billed from 3 different office locations will have 3 entries. Each provider has a unique provider ID number, which stays the same regardless of which office location he is billing from. I want to be able to subtotal the amount billed by each provider for all their office locations...

Using Excel spreadsheet as input to Access
Hello, I posted this in the New Users forum but only got one answer, so thought I'd try here as well. Like so many others, I am an Excel newbie. I was a mainframe COBO programmer in another life, but that was a few years back My manager would like me to write an app that will take tracking dat from an existing Excel spreadsheet (generated by our system) but onl use a select handful of columns as input to a new Access database tha I will create. I'm guessing that I can either a) create a new edited spreadsheet to b used as input to the Access database or b) use the Import wiza...