Unread emails automatically change to read after a few minutes

I have a weird problem that just started today with my email.  All new emails
(and even the emails I change back to Unread) automatically change to read
after about 4 minutes.   Now before anyone jumps to conclusion on the cause -
The Reading Pane is turned OFF, Auto preview is turned off, I don't have
options checked in the Reading Pane window of Tools>Option>Other>Outlook
Panes, and I have NO rules whatsoever.  I haven't changed anything or updated
anything but it started sometime after shutting down the email client the day
before and starting it this morning.  I've been trying to figure this out for
over 4 hours now and it's got me baffled.   Any help?
Running Windows 7 Enterprise and Office 2007.
-1

"Plasticgeek" <Plasticgeek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>I have a weird problem that just started today with my email.  All new emails
> (and even the emails I change back to Unread) automatically change to read
> after about 4 minutes.   Now before anyone jumps to conclusion on the
> cause -
> The Reading Pane is turned OFF, Auto preview is turned off, I don't have
> options checked in the Reading Pane window of Tools>Option>Other>Outlook
> Panes, and I have NO rules whatsoever.  I haven't changed anything or
> updated
> anything but it started sometime after shutting down the email client the
> day
> before and starting it this morning.  I've been trying to figure this out
> for
> over 4 hours now and it's got me baffled.   Any help?
> Running Windows 7 Enterprise and Office 2007.

Are you using any handheld devices?
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
Brian
4/21/2010 2:59:39 PM
Hi Brian,  Yes I have an iPhone that I get my email on also.  I did power off
the phone for over an hour and still got the same results on my desktop
client.

> Hi Brian,  Yes I have an iPhone that I get my email on also.  I did power
> off
> the phone for over an hour and still got the same results on my desktop
> client.

Does it happen if you start Outlook in safe mode (hold Ctrl when starting
Outlook)?
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
Brian
4/21/2010 5:54:18 PM
Just tried it and yes the same thing.

"Plasticgeek" wrote:

> Just tried it and yes the same thing.
>
> "Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
> > "Plasticgeek" <Plasticgeek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > > Hi Brian,  Yes I have an iPhone that I get my email on also.  I did power
> > > off
> > > the phone for over an hour and still got the same results on my desktop
> > > client.
> >
> > Does it happen if you start Outlook in safe mode (hold Ctrl when starting
> > Outlook)?
> > --
> > Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
> >
> > .

this is a long shot, but look under Tools - Trust Center - Add-ins and look
for an add-in called Auto read.

http://download.cnet.com/AutoRead-for-Microsoft-Outlook/3000-2369_4-10263092.html

"Plasticgeek" wrote:

> Just tried it and yes the same thing.
>
> "Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
> > "Plasticgeek" <Plasticgeek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > > Hi Brian,  Yes I have an iPhone that I get my email on also.  I did power
> > > off
> > > the phone for over an hour and still got the same results on my desktop
> > > client.
> >
> > Does it happen if you start Outlook in safe mode (hold Ctrl when starting
> > Outlook)?
> > --
> > Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
> >
> > .

Thanks Shannon but no luck.  I haven't installed any Outlook add-ons in the
past 2 months.   However I am going to disable ALL the add-ons just to
eliminate them.
Thanks....Russell

> Thanks Shannon but no luck.  I haven't installed any Outlook add-ons in the
> past 2 months.   However I am going to disable ALL the add-ons just to
> eliminate them.

By starting Outlook in safe mode, you did eliminate them.  Safe mode prevents
add-ins from being loaded.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
Brian
4/21/2010 7:36:40 PM
Disabled all Add-ons and client extensions and still emails mark themselves
as read after 4 minutes.

"Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> "Plasticgeek" <Plasticgeek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
> >I have a weird problem that just started today with my email.  All new emails
> > (and even the emails I change back to Unread) automatically change to read
> > after about 4 minutes.   Now before anyone jumps to conclusion on the
> > cause -
> > The Reading Pane is turned OFF, Auto preview is turned off, I don't have
> > options checked in the Reading Pane window of Tools>Option>Other>Outlook
> > Panes, and I have NO rules whatsoever.  I haven't changed anything or
> > updated
> > anything but it started sometime after shutting down the email client the
> > day
> > before and starting it this morning.  I've been trying to figure this out
> > for
> > over 4 hours now and it's got me baffled.   Any help?
> > Running Windows 7 Enterprise and Office 2007.
>
> Are you using any handheld devices?
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
>
> .

Update on testing -  The problem seems to be associated with the Exchange
server and not the Outlook client.  I tested by shutting down the Outlook
client on my pc at the end of the work day and sending myself emails from 2
different personal email accounts last evening.  This morning I logged onto a
completly different PC and open my email from that pc's Outlook client and
ALL the emails were already marked as read.  My mobile device that I also get
email on was powered completly off for this test.

> Disabled all Add-ons and client extensions and still emails mark themselves
> as read after 4 minutes.

What type of account?
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
Brian
4/22/2010 1:13:56 PM
What are you referring to on the account type?  We run Exchange 2007 and my
email is a standard user account.
Thanks.

> What are you referring to on the account type?  We run Exchange 2007 and my
> email is a standard user account.

I saw that in a message you posted in reply to someone else but that I hadn't
read when I asked.  I also see from that same message that you think it's
external to your Outlook (which sounds true to me as well).
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
Brian
4/22/2010 4:07:43 PM
After two days of this strange email bug and looking at all options and
settings the issue went away sometime yesterday evening.  Me and the only
other exchange admin made no changes to anything other than what I first
tried with removing my profile & client from my pc (which didn't work).  This
morning I started the Outlook client and there were old (more than 1 hour)
Unread emails listed.  I did not touch anything else for 30 minutes and they
stayed in the unread state. ???????
The only other possible cause would be our Cisco Unity Messaging Store
Service that allows email/phone messages to be read when checking voicemail.
The system may have malfunctioned but it's strange that it only affected one
user out of 375 or some genius was "testing" something or me.  I really don't
know but it's working correctly now though I will continue to probe the
genius to see if he cracks.   Thanks for the input.

"Plasticgeek" wrote:

> I have a weird problem that just started today with my email.  All new emails
> (and even the emails I change back to Unread) automatically change to read
> after about 4 minutes.   Now before anyone jumps to conclusion on the cause -
> The Reading Pane is turned OFF, Auto preview is turned off, I don't have
> options checked in the Reading Pane window of Tools>Option>Other>Outlook
> Panes, and I have NO rules whatsoever.  I haven't changed anything or updated
> anything but it started sometime after shutting down the email client the day
> before and starting it this morning.  I've been trying to figure this out for
> over 4 hours now and it's got me baffled.   Any help?
> Running Windows 7 Enterprise and Office 2007.

Tr again: Modifying Calendar's "reading" view in 2003
In Outlook 2003, Calendar allows me to show the event's content in a "Reading" pane at the right or bottom of the calendar. But the layout of the Reading pane wastes a lot of space. Can its layout or content be modified? No, the content can't be modified. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com...

Change <value> in outlook
We Have Exchange 2003 sp2 and outlook 2003 sp2. I have renamed 2 AD accounts. Changed all display names, accounts name etc with the 2 accounts. When users open outlook and send to renamed account they see account name <oldaccountname> in the autocomplete list. I have cleared nk2 files in profile , but it still shows newaccount <oldaccountname> in drop down box. Is there a way to edit the <oldaccountnam> value of the renamed account? I tried the same thing with a freshly loaded PC. with the same result. Thanks You can delete the nickname files. -- Ed Crowley MVP - E...

Cannot move emails between folders

Backing Up Outlook Express Emails
Does anyone know how to back up email's in Outlook Express? Backup your dbx-files For more assistance ask in an Outlook Express forum. This is an Microsoft Office Outlook forum. Outlook Express is family of Internet Explorer and Outlook of the Office family. Here is the link for the right forum http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?icp=InternetExplorer Good Luck! -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Backup and Restore -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "Cindy" <anonymous@discussion...

Changing Interface OWA (exchange 2003)

Change License / Company name
Hi, we tried CRM 1.2 with the MSDN license key. Now my company bought a 25 user Proffesional Suite license and I want to change the key on the production server. Is there an easy way to do this?? The only solution I see, is via the Data Migration Framework. Erik. How about the re-deploy tool? "Erik" <none> wrote in message news:u0SXdbXlEHA.3452@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Hi, > we tried CRM 1.2 with the MSDN license key. Now my company bought a 25 > user > Proffesional Suite license and I want to change the key on the production > server. Is there an easy wa...

How refresh imported data automatically?
In Excel, I've imported data into a worksheet. I know I can click Data.. Refresh Data to requery the source, but I want to be able to do it in a more automated way. Is there some sort of macro I can write when opened or something? Thanks, Ron Ron, Select the cell the data starts in, select Data/Import External Data/Data Range Properties Check the box "Refresh on file open" and anything else that needs checking off... Other than that, you could record a new Macro that selects your cell, refreshes data, and assign the macro to a keystroke, or even an icon. Beege ...

Background changes conditionally
Hi all, I have a spreadsheet that shows the floor plan layout of my call centre. On each desk, the desk number and identity are displayed. I would like to colour the background for those pcs that are on the same subnet. I have a sheet called data - it contains Table Number, Desk Number, PC ID, IP Address. How could I get it to change the background colour if the pc is on subnet 162, and set a different colour for those on subnet 167 any ideas? -- PeterG ------------------------------------------------------------------------ PeterG's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.p...

stop automatically changing formula!
i have a countif function COUNTIF(Locking!I16:I40,"f") when i copy this and paste it to the next cell, the formula automatically change to COUNTIF(Locking!J16:J40,"f") How do I stop it from changing column I to J?!?!?! thanks. Caryn, =COUNTIF(Locking!$I$16:$I$40,"f") or =COUNTIF(Locking!$I16:$I40,"f") HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "caryn" <caryn.tan@gmail.com> wrote in message news:d7n4u3$hgi$1@avnika.corp.mot.com... > i have a countif function > COUNTIF(Locking!I16:I40,"f") > when i copy this and paste it to the nex...

Email to generate case
Hi, we've recently implemented CRM in out organization, we are a small IT support company, and as such we recieve support queries by email. I have set up CRM so that it puts inbound email in our support queue as email activities, is there any way to get CRM to automatically convert these email activities into new cases? Many thanks, Dan. c360 has an add-on that will do this (www.c360.com). -- Matt Wittemann http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com "Dan Baird" wrote: > Hi, we've recently implemented CRM in out organization, we are a small IT > support company, and as suc...

Rule to automatically mark header to download based on contact list?
Is there a way to do this, or an add-in? TIA. Rich On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 04:44:35 -1000, rmc <rmc@nospam.com> wrote: > Is there a way to do this, or an add-in? What version of Outlook are you using? -- -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, MVP Hi Ben: 2003 SP1 Rich "Ben M. Schorr - MVP" <bens@bogusaddress.mvp> wrote in message news:op.spuxh8sf6r4cx1@bms-tablet2.scgab.com... > On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 04:44:35 -1000, rmc <rmc@nospam.com> wrote: > > > Is there a way to do this, or an add-in? > > What version of Outlook are you using? > > > -- >...

unable to change password via OWA
Hi, I am having a problem with users changing passwords via OWA. When they click on the change password button, it comes up with change password screen and asked for domain name, user name , old password ,etc. The problem that I have is that when I submit it, it comes up with message saying "Either the password is too short or password uniqueness restrictions have not been met." But I didn't define any password policy on DC. What can I do ? Kindly please give me some idea. Thanks Losa If you are running windows and exchange 2003 then there are password requirements that...

find match then change cell value

makro to return email
I want a makro that if a check box is checked, a email is send to a recipient. See your other mail and http://www.rondebruin.nl/sendmail.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Esrei" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:174801c50514$05025190$a401280a@phx.gbl... >I want a makro that if a check box is checked, a email is > send to a recipient. ...

Reminder for a received email for follow up
I would like to put a reminder on an email already received. This reminder would basically call my attention to the email (even though the email is in a different folder). Is there a way I can easily do this? I'm using Outlook 2003 SP1. Thanks John Off the top of my head, quick and easy, drag and drop a copy into your calendar. -- K. Orland Such as are your habitual thoughts, such also will be the character of your mind; for the soul is dyed by the thoughts - Marcus Aurelius "John" wrote: > I would like to put a reminder on an email already received. This remi...

Phantom emails
Why would outlook 2007 try to send emails about every 60 seconds when there is no emails to be sent in the outbox? Carolyn On Mon, 24 May 2010 08:45:01 -0700, Carolyn <Carolyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Why would outlook 2007 try to send emails about every 60 seconds when there >is no emails to be sent in the outbox? >Carolyn What is the indication Outlook is trying to send e-mails? -- To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious and .invalid from my e-mail address. Could it be a stuck read receipt? See http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/deletereadrecei...

OWA - change password
Getting the "Object Required" error, when somebody is trying to change their password through OWA. (Win2003/Ex FE 2003) Any ideas what could be causing this? TIA! / Per Did you follow the steps in: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297121 ? -- Pablo D. Vernocchi Microsoft Exchange MVP MCSA + M / MCSE + Sec https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile=8E94A6C0-F6D9-4686-96D5-04230CC0141F http://www.itpros.com.ar http://www.msglue.org http://msmvps.com/exchangebloglatino "Per Hagstrom" <per.hagstrom@swic.eduNOSPAM> wrote in message news:Ojo%23EozNHHA.1240@TK2...