Trouble with internal links in HTML-formatted e-mail

I've encountered a problem when sending HTML-formatted e-mail to
recipients using Outlook. Specifically, links to internal anchors seem
to be ignored. For example, the message would contain something like

<a name="fullarticle">This is the rest of the article</a>

In other mail clients (and on the web, of course), clicking "read
more" jumps you down to the full article. Not in Outlook. Does it have
some special requirements for how these links are formed? I don't have
access to Outlook here, so I can't tinker with it directly.
0
adamrice

That works in Outlook as well. Your issue is probably caused by containing
your entire text in the bookmark. Does it work when you use;
<a name="fullarticle"></a>This is the rest of the article

Which version of Outlook are we talking about here>

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
http://www.howto-outlook.com/

http://www.msoutlook.info/

-----

"adamrice" <adamrice@8stars.org> wrote in message
> I've encountered a problem when sending HTML-formatted e-mail to
> recipients using Outlook. Specifically, links to internal anchors seem
> to be ignored. For example, the message would contain something like

> <a name="fullarticle">This is the rest of the article</a>
>
> In other mail clients (and on the web, of course), clicking "read
> more" jumps you down to the full article. Not in Outlook. Does it have
> some special requirements for how these links are formed? I don't have
> access to Outlook here, so I can't tinker with it directly.

0
Roady
12/2/2009 10:57:52 AM
On Dec 2, 4:57=A0am, "Roady [MVP]"
<newsgroups_DELETE_@_DELETE_sparnaaij_NO_._SPAM_net> wrote:

> That works in Outlook as well. Your issue is probably caused by containin=
> your entire text in the bookmark. Does it work when you use;
> <a name=3D"fullarticle"></a>This is the rest of the article

That's actually how it's coded, now that I double-check.

> Which version of Outlook are we talking about here>

This is a message going out to a large distribution list, and
apparently this was a universal or very frequent problem among
recipients using Outlook. Didn't query them as to which version they
were running. I've been doing a little noodling on this issue, and
apparently I'm not the first to encounter this problem, but I haven't
found any solution to it yet.

Thanks for the reply.
0
adamrice
12/2/2009 4:46:50 PM
Hmm, I've been using it in my newsletters and have not received any
complaints. It also works when I receive a copy of my own or for other
newsletters that are using this.

The width and length of the display of the email could be having something
to do with it as well; there needs to some space to scroll the screen
accordingly. Outlook also doesn't jump "spot on"; it leaves a little room at
the top. The bookmarked text usually begins at somewhere between 1/4 and 1/3
of the visible message area.

--

> On Dec 2, 4:57 am, "Roady [MVP]"
> <newsgroups_DELETE_@_DELETE_sparnaaij_NO_._SPAM_net> wrote:
>
>> That works in Outlook as well. Your issue is probably caused by
>> containing
>> your entire text in the bookmark. Does it work when you use;
>> <a name="fullarticle"></a>This is the rest of the article
>
> That's actually how it's coded, now that I double-check.
>
>> Which version of Outlook are we talking about here>
>
> This is a message going out to a large distribution list, and
> apparently this was a universal or very frequent problem among
> recipients using Outlook. Didn't query them as to which version they
> were running. I've been doing a little noodling on this issue, and
> apparently I'm not the first to encounter this problem, but I haven't
> found any solution to it yet.
>
> Thanks for the reply.

0
Roady

Linking to internal visio pages
Hi all, I've been trying to figure out a way to link to an specific page that is imbedded in a visio file saved as a web page. For example: I have a visio file that consists of 12 pages accessed by tabs along the bottom of the screen. When I export this file as a webpage, access to the individual pages appears as a pull down menu on the left side of the page. The file is given an address, but not the individual pages, so if I create a link to the visio file it always defaults to the first page. Is there anyway to link to specific pages within the file? Thanks in advance, Tim ...

Activity report
I'm trying to write a report showing completed activities for users and another for accounts (clients). Boy, is it ugly! In version 1.2, with Crystal Reports, the HTML emails looked just fine -- it would format the HTML with no problem. How do I get the same result with SSRS? (version 2000) Thanks, Karla you mean you are trying to report on the contents of an email activity? If so this cannot be done without some custom solution, its also logged as a bug. ============================== John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP Web - http://www.crowecrm.com Blog - http://www.crowe...

Attaching an e-mail into an e-mail
Our boss likes for us to draft her e-mails to be sent out. We type and attach the e-mail she wants, send it to her and all she has to do is open it up, make her changes and hit send. This used to work w/ 2000 but w/ 2003 it does not. Any suggestions? can you be a bit more specific, what is it that isnt working now ?? Regards Davidt "Hope" wrote: > Our boss likes for us to draft her e-mails to be sent out. We type and > attach the e-mail she wants, send it to her and all she has to do is open it > up, make her changes and hit send. This used to work w/ 2000 b...

Internet Mail Service Problem
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000B_01C49F0B.EE172F50 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi Team, For quite sometime my Internet Mail Service for Exchange 5.5 get stopped = of its own. My present environment setup is:-=20 1. I have 5 Exchange administrative console located at 3 three = different building.=20 2. My OS is Windows 2000 Server with SP4 3. Exchange 5.5 with SP4=20 4.Running NAV for Exchange built 2.18=20 After going through application logs, I found following E...

Mail Queues
Hello In Mail Queues I found some strange mail witch no content Message ID, Sender Subject, and Recipients its all blank! How to delete mail in Queues wich no Message ID, Sender Subject, and Recipients, satus its olways retry. When I right click on mail its show only properties. How to delete it??? Thanks Armarn O.R. Hi Armarn, If you right click on the queue itself in the left hand pane and choose to delete all mail(no ndr). Hope this helps, -- Patrick Genova Pgenova@online.microsoft.com Please do not send mail directly to this alias. This alias is for Newsgroup purposes only. Th...

outlook mail merge from category
How do I separate out a particular category from my contacts to do a mail merge? Doesn't the "By Category" View of the Contacts Folder work for you? -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "vedaggett" <vedaggett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1CAD3829-DB46-4F94-9A79-9716640842DF@microsoft.com... > How do I separate out a particular category from my contacts to do a mail > merge? ...

Trouble Printing Checks #2
I'm using Money 2004. I have a list of checks to be printed, but no 'Print Checks' on the left side panel. When I go the 'File' menu to print checks it gives me a "You don't have any accounts with checks to be printed." message. What can I do? David See http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=91. "David" wrote: > What can I do? I would run a file repair to see if that will correct the number do indicate the number of checks that have been set to "print". "David" <David@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news...

Internal Mail Problem
Hi all, I want to restrict some users to send & receive mail from internal user only, so I try to remove their smtp address and leave the x.400 address in the properties. This works well in Exchange 5.5 environment. But, how can I do this in Exchange 2003 environment, I cannot removed the smtp address in Exchange 2003, Please help, thanks. On Sun, 7 Aug 2005 00:46:12 +0800, <a> wrote: >Hi all, I want to restrict some users to send & receive mail from internal >user only, so I try to remove their smtp address and leave the x.400 address >in the properties. ...

Can't receive e-mails on windows mail
I have been trying to access e-mails and getting this message.? Any Help would be great. Thanks. I have re-done all the settings as per their website severall times but with no luck. Running Vista. Account: 'pop3.virginmedia.com', Server: 'pop3.virginmedia.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR not supported 3pf7420781ewy.51', Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC18 Follow the instructions in "How to use POP in Virgin Media Mail" at: http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?...

problems with windows live mail
when windows live mail starts to download from my gmail pop account I always a box pop up saying "Internet Security Warning" dialog box "The server you are connected to is using a security certificate that could not be verified. "The certificate's CN name does not match the passed value." "Do you want to continue using this server?" I click yes and it works, connects and downloads messages. Until the email client is close and restarted that is. Then once again on the first access the security certificate message is displayed. How do I get this to w...

Interesting problem in Money 2005 and MSN link
Money 2005 Premium. I swore I'd never link to MSN on the web but yesterday somehow got there by trying to set up an MBNA card. I finally figured it wasn't worth it so I removed everything - passport and all data. Here is the interesting thing. Previously, my mny file was 46MB after a shrink. After removing everything, it shrank to 41MB. I didn't really care since I had a backup but I decided to explore further. In putting everything through MSN and then disabling it all, it reversed the sign on 2 transactions (one in 1998, the other in 2003) but nothing else was touched. All 22,...

Installed Exch2007 into existing 2003 site, cant send mail
I installed an Exchange 2007 server into our domain. This server is meant to be a test server. It created a different routing group for itself. It seemed to propogate all the correct settings for the connectors and our DMZ smart hosts, yet, on the test account I created, I cannot send email to either internal users on Exchange 2003 or to the Internet. -- "Technology also allows us to get very angry and abusive with people who can't punch us in the nose at that very minute." Scott Adams ...

one page in booklet format
How do I tell Publisher 2000 to print just page one and 4 and then pause while i reinsert the paper to print pages 2 and 3? duff wrote: > How do I tell Publisher 2000 to print just page one and 4 and then > pause while i reinsert the paper to print pages 2 and 3? File > Print > Pages 1 to 1 > OK > Print as separate booklet = No. Flip pages. File > Print > Pages 2 to 2 > OK > Print as separate booklet = No. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://ed.mvps.org ...

Help; how do i change the waiting circle (in IE tab) to anything e
I am making a website and i have a lot of wait time for my server-side pages to do their work. The waiting circle icon gives me a headache so I would like to change that to something else please. I remember IE6 had a great Microsoft Flag logo that would wave while a page would load. Could I get IE8 to use this logo? Sorry Trozza, you can't. "Trozza Mited" <Trozza Mited@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9C401644-2391-4317-92BD-D7F3DFD2B06C@microsoft.com... > I am making a website and i have a lot of wait time for my server-side > p...

Headers for internal messages
I've been asked to find a way to display message headers in Outlook for our local Exchange communications, IE employee to employee message. I'm aware that you can go into Outlook and view a message's full header under Message Options, but this only works for internet based messages. We'd really like to be able to see the originating client IP address for our Exchange messages in that Options box. Is something like that possible for Exchange? I've seen it with other systems. Thanks! TxKevo wrote: > I've been asked to find a way to display message headers i...

Sent Mail Error Outlook Express
IN OUTLOOK EXPRESS WHEN I SEND E-MAIL I GET AN OUTLOOK EXPRESS MESSAGE BOX THAT SAYS Some errors occurred while processing the requested tasks. Please review the list of errors below for more details. BUT THERE ARE NO DETAILS. THE EMAILS ARE NOT GOING TO THE SENT MAIL FOLDER. THE EMAILS ARE BEING DELIVERED AND RECEIVED BUT ON MY END THEY REMAIN IN THE OUTBOX AND ARE NOT GOING TO THE SENT MAIL FOLDER. I MUST CLEAR THE OUTLOOK EXPRESS ERROR BOX THEN DRAG THE SENT? MESSAGE OUT OF THE OUTBOX SO IT WON'T BE SENT AGAIN. ALSO YESTERDAY ALL PREVIOUS EMAIL IN THE SENT MAIL FOLDER DI...

How do I monitor e-mails
Windows NT 4 running Exchange 5.5 My boss asked me if there is some way we can monitor employee e-mails. Any help is appreciated. you want to look into "journaling"... http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;261173 "Peter McCaul" <compcoff@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ez7BAFm1EHA.304@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Windows NT 4 running Exchange 5.5 > > My boss asked me if there is some way we can monitor employee e-mails. Any > help is appreciated. > > ...

PLEASE explain xmlDocument on server, but the html transform on client???
If someone could just explain this to me...I just don't get it! I have an aspx page where I retrieve several session variables and use xmlDocument to transform xml file with xsl file into an instruction document (not data based) - same as using an xml web control. The resulting html is on the client? but what about the server side of things? Trying to figure out how to change and save the xmlDocument. It I put a button OUTSIDE of the html transform but inside the aspx page, could I change and save the xmlDoc that way? Sorry to be so dense about this...PLEASE help me out with explanation...

problem sending mail to yahoo
Hi everyone, I posted a message regarding the same issue a few days ago. Running SBS2003. I can send mail to everyone apart from YAHOO. Gmail, Hotmail (any of the main freemail providers) with no problems. I've just disabled my SPAM filtering software to see if this helps. Has anyone else experienced similar problems??? HELP :-) Dave what specific error are you getting? "Dave Crozier" <mdcrozier@gmail.com> wrote in message news:ukNSYoveFHA.760@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Hi everyone, > > I posted a message regarding the same issue a few days ago. > &...

How do I link data to a chart from multiple worksheets?
I've created a graph that I want to show data from multiple sheets in the workbook. How do I do that? There are limits to how you can combine data from different sheets. This article describes them. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ChartFromDiffSheets.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Donna" <Donna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7DF7D186-9426-4B54-A322-FE485FD20529@microsoft.com... > I've created a graph that I want to...

References omit formatting and return cell address
In two cases of references between worksheets, the formatting from the original cell does not appear in the cell that it is referenced to. Case 1: Worksheet 1, A1 contains a currency formatted number - $2,000 Worksheet 2, A1 references the Workhseet 1, A1 cell using the = sign, yet it returns 2000 (unless I manually reformat the Workksheet 2 cell to Currency Case 2: Worksheet 3, A1 contains an apartment # - e.g. 4 Worksheet 4, A1 references this cell but returns the cell address - Worksheet2,!A1' - rather than the number 4. I tried different formats for the number 4,...

Conditional Formatting based on deadlines #2
Excellent! Thanks! My brain gets confused between what you can use i formulas and what can be used in VBA. Alex Delamain Wrote: > Under conditional formatting set condition 1 > Formula is =+$E2<=NOW()+7 > > Then apply your forma -- madblok ----------------------------------------------------------------------- madbloke's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1442 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27448 NOW() has a date and time component TODAY() has only a date component Ok, incorpo...

CRM 1-2 -> 3.0 Input string was not in a correct format. (upgrade
I've the same error during the upgrade from 1.2 to 3.0. I've tried without any opportunity to make sure not to have est. revenue data but the error is still there during upgrade. It happens during the ImportDefaultDataAction step near the end of the upgarde process. Otherwise 1.2 wasn't giving the error. Any idea? thanks in advance Refering to http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/Newsgroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?query=input+string&dg=microsoft.public.crm&cat=&lang=en&cr=US&pt=&catlist=8d3f188d-a0E9-40e4-86e2-46508a35c759&...

avast mail scanner and OE
Can't seem to find a straight answer on the avast forum, so can anyone here explain why the most recent version of avast free, only seems to have a mail scanner that works with Outlook? When I don't have Outlook on the option to turn on mail scanning remains unresponsive. As it happens I did not use email scanning with my OE in the last version, but in this one there is a permanent exclamation mark over the system tray icon 'warning me' that this thing I can't turn on, isn't turned on. S Why you don't need your anti-virus to scan your email (...