Some rules don't work

Outlook 2007, XP

Many of my rules have stopped working.  Not all, but many, if not most.  I
even tried to delete some of the non-working rules and re-write them.  But
when I run them with messages already in my inbox, they don't work.

I frequently copy my outlook.pst file for use on a laptop when travelling.
It seems that some--but not all--stopped working at the time of such a
transition.  Of course, that does not explain why some won't work right
after I make them.

Many of the rules are what to do with emails I send and receive from certain
people.

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot?

Thanks,

Bob

0
Bob

"Bob Griendling" <bob@griendling.com> wrote in message

> Many of my rules have stopped working.  Not all, but many, if not most.  I
> even tried to delete some of the non-working rules and re-write them.  But
> when I run them with messages already in my inbox, they don't work.
>
> I frequently copy my outlook.pst file for use on a laptop when travelling.
> It seems that some--but not all--stopped working at the time of such a
> transition.  Of course, that does not explain why some won't work right
> after I make them.

Moving a PST between machines is probably the reason they stop working.  Rules
are tied to the mail profile/PC that created them.  My transferring your PST
between PCs, you break that relationship.  The better way, in my opinion, to
transfer rules is to export them with the Rules Wizard on the source machine,
transferring the RWZ file along with the PST, then on the destination machine,
after reconnecting the PST to the mail profile (which must be done correctly
or it will damage the mail profile), start Outlook with the /cleanrules
command switch and import the transferred RWZ file.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
Brian
5/12/2010 2:15:07 PM
Thanks, Brian.   I'm unclear about the "after reconnecting the PST to the
mail profile (which must be done correctly or it will damage the mail
profile), start Outlook with the /cleanrules command switch and import the
transferred RWZ file" part of your message.

Re the PST file, I just copy the Outlook.pst file on to a stick drive and
then copy it into the c:\documentsand setting\bob\local settings\application
data\microsoft\outlook folder on my laptop and then vice versa.

I've never used the /clean rules command but there seems to be plenty of
Google results from "clean rules in Outlook."

Re my immediate problem, I used to have one rule that I thought accomplished
two simply tasks:  Moved emails to AND from an individual to an Outlook
folder.  However, the only way I can accomplish that now is to have two
separate rules: one for sending and one for receiving.  Otherwise, it will
activate a rule ONLY when I receive AND send a specific email to/from the
person.  So I just created those additional rules.

Thanks again,
Bob

"Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Bob Griendling" <bob@griendling.com> wrote in message
>
>> Many of my rules have stopped working.  Not all, but many, if not most.
>> I even tried to delete some of the non-working rules and re-write them.
>> But when I run them with messages already in my inbox, they don't work.
>>
>> I frequently copy my outlook.pst file for use on a laptop when
>> travelling. It seems that some--but not all--stopped working at the time
>> of such a transition.  Of course, that does not explain why some won't
>> work right after I make them.
>
> Moving a PST between machines is probably the reason they stop working.
> Rules are tied to the mail profile/PC that created them.  My transferring
> your PST between PCs, you break that relationship.  The better way, in my
> opinion, to transfer rules is to export them with the Rules Wizard on the
> source machine, transferring the RWZ file along with the PST, then on the
> destination machine, after reconnecting the PST to the mail profile (which
> must be done correctly or it will damage the mail profile), start Outlook
> with the /cleanrules command switch and import the transferred RWZ file.
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
Bob
5/12/2010 3:59:43 PM

> Re the PST file, I just copy the Outlook.pst file on to a stick drive and
> then copy it into the c:\documentsand setting\bob\local settings\application
> data\microsoft\outlook folder on my laptop and then vice versa.

If you overwrite an existing PST of the same name, it's no wonder you have
problems and you're lucky rules are all that suffers.  When you move a PST to
another PC, add it to that mail profile by putting it in a folder that does
not conatin another PST of the same name.  Then add it to Outlook using the
Mail applet in Control Panel or by opening it in Outlook.

> Re my immediate problem, I used to have one rule that I thought accomplished
> two simply tasks:  Moved emails to AND from an individual to an Outlook
> folder.  However, the only way I can accomplish that now is to have two
> separate rules: one for sending and one for receiving.  Otherwise, it will
> activate a rule ONLY when I receive AND send a specific email to/from the
> person.  So I just created those additional rules.

Rules for sending and rules for receiving are separate and fire either when a
message arrives or you click Send, but a rule that you will run manually will
handle existing messages in a folder whether they were received or sent.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
Brian

SetWindowLong not working properly
Hi, I'm trying to add a MinimizeBox at the toolbarwindow of a PropertySheet Wizard, in the first properypage's dialog callback routine (WM_INITDIALOG), using GetWindowLong and SetWindowLog API funct. The result is, the minimizebox shows up as expected, but it's not working, clicking on it produce nothing. I'm using Visual C++(6). Any Ideas? Thanks, ____________________________________________________________________________ ___ Answered in microsoft.public.vc.language -- ============ Frank Hickman Microsoft MVP NobleSoft, Inc. ============ Replace the _nosp@m_ with @ t...

how does "new" work
I tryed clicking on new>question and nothing happens so I tryed this option. I am having all kinds of problems and was trying to get some suggestions. How do I start a thread? I assume you mean MS Discssions You need to be signed in with a live Id - but there have been problems of late with MS Discussions - suggest you use a newsreader - just about all mail clients can be new readers a notable exception being Outlook (there are addon for it) If you don't like newsreaders then some discussion/newsgroups are mirrored onto bulletin boards not sure about this one, do a search An...

rules, dotnet applications and XML
<xml newbie> Hi all, We are considering using XML to specify rules, policies. This XML file will be used to generate source code in either managed C++ or C#, which will be implemention of API to be used by different applications program (written in .NET language, for this dicussion). You can contribute your ideas. Time for an example. A company or a government body has lot of policies which can be captured in the form of IF-THEN rules. These rules needs to be accomodated in application program(s). o Imagine an application program which processes visa applications, social security etc...

does it work
hi my name is Kevin Kosta Mcgowan and i have come here to United States of America from being addopted. ...

Working with Different workbooks #2
Dear Receipient, I would like to know how to open two different excel files in two different workbooks, in other words... I want to see both files on the taskbar and not only one of them and the other is stacked somewhere behind it. Thanks and Regards, ...

How do I copy my work in Publisher2003 into Word
I would like to know how to copy my Publisher Document into word, I dont want to do anything with it then it is in word but be able to look at it. My work Consists of pictures and text. m <m@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I would like to know how to copy my Publisher Document into word, I > dont want to do anything with it then it is in word but be able to > look at it. My work Consists of pictures and text. Convert to PDF using a free converter such as PrimoPDF from www.primopdf.com, and use Adobe Reader instead. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Micros...

Importing workflow rules
I would like to know if there are any sample code that can be used to automate the import of workflow rules to CRM. ...

This Formula does not work....
I'm trying to Count the amount of 'R' appearing in column D. Tried this formula below but no joy. =SUM($D$1:$D$249="R") Also tried =SUM($D$1:$D$49=J16) where J!^ contains letter R but still no joy. -- Many Thanks Gunjani Under the bed is not a good place to save snowballs for summer. =COUNTIF($D$1:$D$249="R") =COUNTIF($D$1:$D$249=J16) "Gunjani" <yunus786DELETETHIS@btopenworld.com> wrote in message news:MPG.1b02e1d1663db0a69896b8@news.btinternet.com... > I'm trying to Count the amount of 'R' appear...

This should be simple but it's not working for me!
This should be easy, I want to multiply the quantity of a product by the price then add the tax to get the total. I am using/attempting this: =SUM(A1*A2+A5) But it's not working so apparently I am doing something wrong. Help? Hi how about =A1*A2+A5 where A1 and A2 contain qty and price (in any order) and A5 contains the tax value if this still doesn't work, check that your numbers are actually numbers (use the ISNUMBER(A1) function to see) -- Cheers JulieD check out www.hcts.net.au/tipsandtricks.htm ....well i'm working on it anyway "hellokitty" <hellokitty...

non excel look for an excel work book
I want to create an excel work book with non excel look. I have alread done fullscreen and also switched of all the toolbars. There are tw things remaining to be made invisible 1. the bar showing file,edit,tools etc 2. An excel icon is visible to the far left How can I hide the above tw -- chandran ----------------------------------------------------------------------- chandrans's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1436 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27590 1. the bar showing file,edit,tools etc This is just...

Forwarding not working ??
I have a mail filter set up to automatically forward home mail to my work address. This use to work in my outlook express 6 but now I get this message. Your message rules did not Forward or Reply to 1 message(s) because the message would have been sent to one of your accounts. Account: 'pop.broadband.mail.com', Server: 'pop.broadband.mail.com' The message is telling me the truth that is I do have several accounts to pick up mail in my live.mail and one of them is the same account that the mail is being forwarded to, but I need the mail to be forwarded to this ...

Opening Microsoft Works File in Word for MAC
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Greetings. We are having a problem with the migration of files from a pc to the new cutting edge MAC. It seems we arent able to open documents that were saved in Microsoft Works from our old pc. We have spoken to Apple tech, but after 3 hours on the phone we are still not moving forward. Anyone have an idea? Thanks in advance! Jonnycage Mac Office hasn't include Works filters for several versions now. If you have any volume of files to convert you might consider MacLinkPlus (for the Mac) or its PC sibling Conversion Plus: http:...

Request.form stops working after clicking on page with Integrated
Hello, I am using asp on a Windows 2003 server, with IIS 6.0, for a large organization. I need to collect user names for some pages on the website (which are restricted to a certain number of users), and am using request.servervariables(LOGON_USER) to get those names. To do this, I have turned off "enable anonymous access" and turned on Integrated Windows authentication for a gateway page (i.e. just for one page in the whole website). I can't use Integrated Windows authentication for the whole site because then some important users who are outside the fore...

Outlook 2003 does not work after installation
I just upgraded to Office Professional 2003. All software works except Outlook. When I click on the icon, the program will load in the safe mode for the first time. If I exit, and click the icon again, nothing happens...must reboot the computer to use Outlook, and then only in the safe mode. I checked account info, and all settings are correct. Any ideas how to correct. Account settings have nothing to do with this. What do you mean by "only = Safe Mode" Have you tried Detect and Repair . Outlook\Help\Detect and Repair --=20 Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the...

How to Create Rules to classify NDR...
Hi to all, I added the options to received a copy of NDR message. Now, i wanted to classify all the NDR a received by creating a rules base on the content of the NDR. I'm using Outlook 2003. I just found out, is that it seem that we can't create a rules that will take in account NDR message type. Does someone has a idea how can i do some classification base on content in the NDR i received ? Thanks for the help! :) Antoine What is it that you are trying to achieve and what difference will it make to you when you don't get any messages at all from the growing proportion of...

Would this work with DPM 2010 RC1 and RTM ?
Hi DPM team, I was wondering if this would work to install DPM 2010 RC1 or final from scratch without loosing any data of previous versions (DPM2010 beta in one case and DPM 2007 SP1 in another case). I would like to reinstall from scratch because the systems are old (Windows Server 2003) and need a reinstall anyway. 1. Make a backup of DPM DB 2. reformat System partition of old DPM server and install Windows Server 2008 R2 3. install DPM 2010 RC1 or later RTM including SQL 2008 4. Overwrite existing (new) DB with old DPM DB -> how would I do that ? 5. Add the old stor...

ASp.NET Configuration in Visual Studio Seem doesn't work
Hi, Can anyone help? I build an ASP.net 3.5 Website on Visual Studio 2008 Team Syatem SP1 with MSSQL Server 2008 Ent on Windows 7. Normally if I want to config the Security ( Authentication) I go to the ASP.net Configuration on Website > ASP.net Configuration. everything seem to be working fine, but once I tried to create a new acc, I got the messsage after I complete all fields and click " create user ". The message is : Password length minimum: 7. Non-alphanumeric characters required: 1. my password I used is " Hine45KoOl ", I don't know what...

How do i get hyperlinks to work in Visio when saved as a web page?
I've created a process document in Visio, on a shape i inserted a link to a document on a shared server, and when you right click in Visio it brings up the doc. However, when I "save as web page" the link no longer works. Instead I get an error - "Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site file://........ Operation aborted". I've tried to rename the files, but can't seem to get it to work. Am i missing something? ...

Offline Rules
We are using Exchange 2003 Enterprise and Outlook 2003. How do I make the rules manageable from Ouloook when it is offline mode. Mike ...

Outlook 2002 problem with rules
Good day: I have multiple email accounts that come into Outlook. I have a spam rule first that looks for a SPAM in the subject line and moves it to a junk mail folder. Then I have a rule for each account so they all go into their appropriate folders. Problem is I am getting 2 copies of each spam mail, one in each account folder and one in the junk mail folder. This worked fine in Outlook 2000, and I can not figure out why it is doing this now. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you Mark mark@whitestardata.com <mark@whitestardata.com> wrote: > I have multiple email accounts ...

Wildcards & Outlook Message Rules
Are there any wildcards you can use in outlooks message rules The problem I am trying to fix is there are 3 similar message type i want to sor "fixedword fixedword variablenumber "fixedword fixedword variablenumber variablename "fixedword fixedword variablenumber variablename ** I wish to keep the first message type, and keep the other two message types IF variablename ="james" or "error I can do the james and error bit but I can't work out how to keep the first message type because the string is a subset of the latter ones Please Help ...

Working copy of Exchange??
If I have two identical servers, is it possible to have a mirror copy of my primary server in case of failure? We are running Exchange 2k ent sp3 with 4 stores. Thanks for your help................. not really - unless you use clustering or a third party solution like Marathon Technologies' Exchange solution... "Bob Dickens" <bdickens@-no-spam-shastacollege.edu> wrote in message news:#eFpo#r2DHA.3140@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > If I have two identical servers, is it possible to have a mirror copy of my > primary server in case of failure? We are running Exchange 2k ...

Will this IF work?
This code should work, I think, but there's got to be a better way to do this than a million IFs. Anyone have any suggestions? If IsNull(Activity.Value) Then MsgBox "Missing Required Field - Activity!" ElseIf IsNull(EffortDate.Value) Then MsgBox "Missing Required Field - Effort Date!" ElseIf IsNull(Hours.Value) Then MsgBox "Missing Required Field - Hours!" ElseIf IsNull(PeopleType.Value) Then MsgBox "Missing Required Field - PeopleType!" Else DoCmd.Save ...

Wireless connection is not working after restarting
I am using windows vista home edition . The wireless network connection is not working when the system restarted. So after each restarting of the system , I have to connect with wireless network mannually by giving username and password of the router. Please anybody can advice what I have to do to solve this problem to keep wireless connection permanently With many thanks Pol Try going in to the options of your 3rd party wireless software and tell it that you prefer windows to handle the connection directly. If you can do that then ask windows to search for you...

Coding works in Windows System but not in Mac