Setting up Gmail Limits with IMAP or POP3

I want to setup outlook 2007 on windows 7 for my friend to access a
gmail account with a large number of messages in it.

My friend has been using gmail with pop3 for years with outlook 6 (The old
built in email client with windows XP), and all messages are currently stored
on gmails servers, ~20,000 messages in the inbox, and ~10,000 messages in the
sent folder. Total messages in the account (inbox + sent) equals ~3GB.

I'm trying to determine if it would be better to use IMAP or POP3 for her to
now access her emails from GMail using outlook 2007 as the client. IMAP could
be good, however right now she has some custom folders in her outlook,
folders for each year(like 2009-2003) and then some messages in them. Using
IMAP would bring in all 20K messages in the imap inbox in outlook, and then
for her to manage them she would want to move a lot out of the inbox, but
since it is accessed via IMAP, what will happen if she moves say 15K messages
out of the gmail imap inbox, and into say another locally stored .PST?

Will that just erase all those messages from Gmail server? Currently I think
having the massive backup of every email is good on gmail's server. I'm also
worried that IMAP may be too complex for her to use. I can set it all up, but
without me there to help with issues, It needs to just work simpley and just
get email every day.

Then I was thinking of just using POP3 like how she has been using it might
be the best. The issue I'm thinking about is that if I connect via pop 3, it
is going to download all 20K gmail inbox messages into the inbox, and also
all 10K messages stored in the gmail sent folder.
This is going to leave me with a mess of 10K sent emails in the inbox, that
I will need to somehow filter and move into sent items.Sorry for the very
long post, any idea about using IMAP vs. POP for accessing gmail will be very
appreciated.

Also I am using outlook 2007 because but it seems to not have the 2GB .PST
limit when using IMAP, and with the newer PST format like outlook 2003.

Also wondering about performance, especially with IMAP, if I have 20K
messages in the Imap gmail inbox accessed in outlook 2007, is her computer
going to cry?

The PC she is using is actually very fast at least in CPU:
Win 7 Pro 64bit, Q8200, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 640GB HD.

If you set up gmail via imap on outlook, the folders will be synced with
those on the gmail server. Nothing will be removed from the gmail server.
Any pop mail folders, in Outlook will remain intact
You will have two sets of Personal Folders in outlook, one being the pop
mail set and the other being the imap set. The two are completely seperate
If the pop mail Personal Folder set is a carry over from a pre 2003 version
of Outlook, then that set of personal folders will be in the old format and
consequently be subject to the 2gb limit (but probs can occur from 1.6gb)
There isnt an Outlook 6 so you want to be sure what version of outlook was
previously used, there is Outlook Express 6, a completely different program

"endoftheline" <endoftheline@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I want to setup outlook 2007 on windows 7 for my friend to access a
> gmail account with a large number of messages in it.
>
> My friend has been using gmail with pop3 for years with outlook 6 (The old
> built in email client with windows XP), and all messages are currently
> stored
> on gmails servers, ~20,000 messages in the inbox, and ~10,000 messages in
> the
> sent folder. Total messages in the account (inbox + sent) equals ~3GB.
>
> I'm trying to determine if it would be better to use IMAP or POP3 for her
> now access her emails from GMail using outlook 2007 as the client. IMAP
> could
> be good, however right now she has some custom folders in her outlook,
> folders for each year(like 2009-2003) and then some messages in them.
> Using
> IMAP would bring in all 20K messages in the imap inbox in outlook, and
> then
> for her to manage them she would want to move a lot out of the inbox, but
> since it is accessed via IMAP, what will happen if she moves say 15K
> messages
> out of the gmail imap inbox, and into say another locally stored .PST?
>
> Will that just erase all those messages from Gmail server? Currently I
> think
> having the massive backup of every email is good on gmail's server. I'm
> also
> worried that IMAP may be too complex for her to use. I can set it all up,
> but
> without me there to help with issues, It needs to just work simpley and
> just
> get email every day.
>

> Then I was thinking of just using POP3 like how she has been using it
> might
> be the best. The issue I'm thinking about is that if I connect via pop 3,
> it
> is going to download all 20K gmail inbox messages into the inbox, and also
> all 10K messages stored in the gmail sent folder.
> This is going to leave me with a mess of 10K sent emails in the inbox,
> that
> I will need to somehow filter and move into sent items.Sorry for the very
> long post, any idea about using IMAP vs. POP for accessing gmail will be
> very
> appreciated.
>
> Also I am using outlook 2007 because but it seems to not have the 2GB .PST
> limit when using IMAP, and with the newer PST format like outlook 2003.
>
> Also wondering about performance, especially with IMAP, if I have 20K
> messages in the Imap gmail inbox accessed in outlook 2007, is her computer
> going to cry?
>
> The PC she is using is actually very fast at least in CPU:
> Win 7 Pro 64bit, Q8200, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 640GB HD.

0
DL
12/23/2009 9:14:38 AM
Because your friend is used to pop3, I would continue to use it. POP3 will
not download the sent folder, only the inbox. I would also consider
resetting gmail so it doesn't download all the old mail - outlook will run
better and gmail has the better search. While she could download everything,
it will take days. Gmail seems to throttle the downloads -  I use my gmail
as a test account in outlook because I don't have to worry about remembering
to set outlook to leave on server - and it downloads the mail approx 1000
messages at a time. About once a yr, I go into gmail settings and change it
to new mail only.

Gmail's IMAP is weird, especially in how it handles gmail labels.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

"endoftheline" <endoftheline@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I want to setup outlook 2007 on windows 7 for my friend to access a
> gmail account with a large number of messages in it.
>
> My friend has been using gmail with pop3 for years with outlook 6 (The old
> built in email client with windows XP), and all messages are currently
> stored
> on gmails servers, ~20,000 messages in the inbox, and ~10,000 messages in
> the
> sent folder. Total messages in the account (inbox + sent) equals ~3GB.
>
> I'm trying to determine if it would be better to use IMAP or POP3 for her
> now access her emails from GMail using outlook 2007 as the client. IMAP
> could
> be good, however right now she has some custom folders in her outlook,
> folders for each year(like 2009-2003) and then some messages in them.
> Using
> IMAP would bring in all 20K messages in the imap inbox in outlook, and
> then
> for her to manage them she would want to move a lot out of the inbox, but
> since it is accessed via IMAP, what will happen if she moves say 15K
> messages
> out of the gmail imap inbox, and into say another locally stored .PST?
>
> Will that just erase all those messages from Gmail server? Currently I
> think
> having the massive backup of every email is good on gmail's server. I'm
> also
> worried that IMAP may be too complex for her to use. I can set it all up,
> but
> without me there to help with issues, It needs to just work simpley and
> just
> get email every day.
>

> Then I was thinking of just using POP3 like how she has been using it
> might
> be the best. The issue I'm thinking about is that if I connect via pop 3,
> it
> is going to download all 20K gmail inbox messages into the inbox, and also
> all 10K messages stored in the gmail sent folder.
> This is going to leave me with a mess of 10K sent emails in the inbox,
> that
> I will need to somehow filter and move into sent items.Sorry for the very
> long post, any idea about using IMAP vs. POP for accessing gmail will be
> very
> appreciated.
>
> Also I am using outlook 2007 because but it seems to not have the 2GB .PST
> limit when using IMAP, and with the newer PST format like outlook 2003.
>
> Also wondering about performance, especially with IMAP, if I have 20K
> messages in the Imap gmail inbox accessed in outlook 2007, is her computer
> going to cry?
>
> The PC she is using is actually very fast at least in CPU:
> Win 7 Pro 64bit, Q8200, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 640GB HD.

0
Diane

limiting bandwidth used by SMTP/Internet Mail
Hi, We've got an Exchange 2003 Server (Win2003 SBS) hooked to a 1500/600 DSL line. The group sends alot of external email (often w/large attachments) and when that's going on it hammers the DSL line until the queuing is done. No only does this affect internet surfing, but also some folks like to work from home so remote access (VPN) and OWA slow to a crawl when exchange is sending out the messages. My questions are... 1) With Exchange is there any way to limit the amount of bandwidth the SMTP server uses for outgoing mail (ie, can I set it so it only uses 300Kb/s?...That wa...

set up flat border using OnNCPaint
Hi, In our project some developer set up control border using OnNCPaint like below. MyControl::OnNCPaint() { //ignore this message so we wont have the 3d border return; } However the problem comes in when my listbox has enough items to need a scrollbar, the scrollbar area is showed up as grey since this area is consider non client area. Is there any better solution for this? Thanks, Try removing the border style entirely. Then surround it with a black frame control. joe On 26 Sep 2005 07:27:37 -0700, junchi.tang@gmail.com wrote: >Hi, >In our project some develo...

OL XP enable security setting
When my P900i run sync tools cannot update contact to outlook. I belive is the no prompt up the security setting box, disable the box show " A program is trying to access addresses you have stored in outlook, Do you want to allow this" how can enable this box. Thanks Jackie Wong 111@it.com, you wrote on Mon, 13 Mar 2006 16:37:50 +0800: > When my P900i run sync tools cannot update contact to outlook. I belive is > the no prompt up the security setting box, disable the box show " A > program is trying to access addresses you have stored in outlook, Do you > ...

imap problems through front end
I am having problems with imap through the front end server. the front end server is in an dmz and back end in the private network. so a user from the public net tried imap through front end using outlook express and gets an error The requested name is valid, but no data of the requested type was found. any ideas? even ms support does not even know I dont want to have to relocate my front end server help please Hi Tony, Is the IMAP service running on the backend also? This is a requirement. If IMAP, POP, etc is running on the front end it also needs to be running on the back ...

Mail Limits
What is Microsoft recommend mailbox limits or what they recommend as best practice? /Thanks Sue I don't believe they've ever stated any such recommendation...business needs typically dictate this type of setting...depends on the type of email your users need to receive...if they contain large attachments, and they keep the attachments in the mailbox, you're going to need to give them pretty large mailboxes. The main thing to consider is how large this is going to make your stores, and whether or not you can restore them, in the event of failure, within your SLAs...What version...

Have we set a Precedent??
I need a simple Boolean function that will return TRUE if the argument is cell that has precedence tracing assigned to it, otherwise FALSE. I need to scan a worksheet and build a list of the cells that the user has marked for tracing. Thanks in Advance -- Gary''s Student - gsnu2007xx ...

IMAP folder does not automatically expand?
Hi everyone, from Italy! I have configured an IMAP email account using Outlook 2007. This account is included in the automatic send/receive group, but new messages sent to IMAP account are not shown since I manually expand the collapsed account folder: it seems that IMAP mail accounts are not included in the send/receive action when the folder is collapsed. It is possible to expand automatically the IMAP account folder at Outlook startup? Is there any other solution to force Outlook in checking my IMAP account even when folder is collapsed? Thank you for your help! A perfect World <...

Set Iteration on permanently
I have a spreadsheet with a circular reference that can’t be avoided. I have tick Iteration so there are no errors and Excel calculates correctly. However when other colleges open the document they have to tick the Iteration box again. Can you set Iteration so it is permanently on? You would have to save the workbook with workbook_open code to set iterations on when that particular workbook is opened. Then beforeclose or deactivate code to turn it back on when workbook is closed or another workbook is activated. Can't you re-structure to prevent the "unavoidable" ...

How do I set Outlook to auto check for mail?
I am trying to set up MS Outlook to automatically check for new e-mail messages. Can this be done in Outlook? Please provide more information. What is your current setup? Are you using an Exchange server and what version of Outlook are you running. Regards Francine Otterson President, San Diego Outlook User Group "Attila" wrote: > I am trying to set up MS Outlook to automatically check for new e-mail > messages. Can this be done in Outlook? Tools/Options/Mail Delivery. 'Check for new messages...' On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 07:11:02 -0700, Attila <Attila@discuss...

how to set up a mask to enter a code, ie ###-##-####-###-###-##-#.
I need to enter a lot of budget codes that are comprised of groups of numbers separated by a hypen as above where # would equal a specific digit. Can I create an input mask or custom format that would automatically enter the hypen much like the Social Security Number format does? have you tried it. Remeber the 15 limit. So you may want text. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "CSD Service Desk" <CSD Service Desk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D717A6CB-6697-47D4-855C-E20C668F7795@microsoft.com... > I need to enter a lot of budget codes ...

Override document (view) settings on incoming email attachments?
Using 2003 in a mixed 2003/2007 environment. I'm also using Word as my default Outlook email editor, in case that matters. I work with different people who all have individual preferences for how to work in their documents. When I get documents (by email), and open them, sometimes they open in side-by-side (2 page) view, sometimes the document will open without the drawing toolbar or other toolbars, etc. Is there a reliable way to make sure that my set toolbars will always open with all documents and that the document view will always be my preferred view (print layout, vs...

I have a set of numbers in an excel spreadsheet and want to find t
I have a set of numbers in a column in an excel spreadsheet and want to find top 5 numbers how do you do this? Sort them descending and select the five first Use autofilter and select top 10 and in the next window select 5 and click OK Use a formula like this and copy down 5 rows =LARGE($A$1:$A$100,ROW(1:1)) Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Charles" wrote: > I have a set of numbers in a column in an excel spreadsheet and want to find > top 5 numbers how do you do this? Charles Use the LARGE function. If the data is in the range A2:A50 then use the formula =LARGE($A$2:$A$50,1...

how do i set up outlook to check automaticly without the browser .
So i am used to netscape 4.79 where the "nsnotify" checks my mail every 5 min... can i get outlook 2002 to do the same without having the browser open or minimized? As in just from the icon tray? No, it has to be opened, though it can be minimised. Check mail settings and set to check every x mins - do not set to less than 10mins "cubeman" <cubeman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:700BBC6D-1B97-4FF8-81AA-E0D49C0A9257@microsoft.com... > So i am used to netscape 4.79 where the "nsnotify" checks my mail every 5 > min... can i get outlo...

Use DB for a limitated period of time
Hi All I would like to use the db to a certain person for a limited period of time, for example 30 days. After this time the database should be change status, (for example to ask a password) in order to avoid unauthorized use. is it possible to do this ? If yes how ? Let me know Diego -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-formscoding/201005/1 Check what Tony Toews has at http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/demo.htm for one approach. For what it's worth, many people feel that a time limit is a bad idea, and tha...

How do I set a constant multiplier in an equation?
When using excel to make a spread sheet with list prices, net prices with constant multipkiers, How do I set a constant multiplier in an equation? The old excel used the $ befor the cell to do this. As do all Excels. -- HTH Bob "dalmar" <dalmar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8E736A76-E4B2-4C89-A29B-92657638C13D@microsoft.com... > When using excel to make a spread sheet with list prices, net prices with > constant multipkiers, How do I set a constant multiplier in an equation? > The > old excel used the $ befor the cell to ...

Any way to globally set comma as address seperator?
Is there a way to add comma as an address to seperator? Exchange 2003 server with Outlook 2000, XP, and 2003. Thanks. I'm downloading it now. >-----Original Message----- >David, my bad, I missed you specified 'globally'. You can do that with the >Profile Wizard/OPS system in the Office Resource Kit. > >http://download.microsoft.com/download/0/e/d/0eda9ae6- f5c9-44be-98c7-ccc3016a296a/ork.exe > >I think there is a regkey you can hack with, if you prefer. > >(Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Preferences) AllowCommasInRecip = 0x0 > > > ...

How do I set up and use a group box form control?
All I want to know is how to add a group box to a spreadsheet and add checkboxes so that they're "embedded" in the group box. (Now when I drag the group box around, the checkboxes don't move with it...) Show the drawing toolbar. There's an arrow icon that you can lasso the objects that you want grouped. Then right click on the "grouped" selection and select Grouping. Then Group. Click the arrow icon to get out of that mode. Grizz905 wrote: > > All I want to know is how to add a group box to a spreadsheet and add > checkboxes so that they're ...

File History Limitation
Other Office apps can hold up to 9 the most recent files worked on. How can I change Excel to show a history of more than 4 documents? Bill Tools/Options/General, enter "9" in the Recently used file list inputbox. In article <4628d984$0$1418$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>, "Bill Haskell" <bhask@roadrunner.com> wrote: > Other Office apps can hold up to 9 the most recent files worked on. How can > I change Excel to show a history of more than 4 documents? Tools|Options|General tab change the Recently used file list number to 9. Bill Haskell wrote:...

How to set area code in Outlook 2003
Any time I started up previous version of outlook and started to enter a phone number it would prompt me to input my local area code and from then on it would put it in for me when i typed 7 digit phone number. I just started 2003 and it never asked...noor seems to care. If I enter a 7 digit phone number it just leaves it that way. Any way of telling it where I live and telling it to enter area code automatically...like the old days? Thanks Your dialing location in Control Panel > Phones and Modems... -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Wekiva" <no@email.com> wrote in ...

Excel 2007 File Format Not Support Line Print Settings
I have a 2003 Excel file that I was trying to save in 2007. I get the message: "Workbook contains one or more of the following features that are not supported by the selected file format, Line Print settings." I don't know what line print settings are can't find any information about it. Does anyone know what this means? Thanks, You are trying to save in Excel 2007 as what type of file? -- If this helps, please click the Yes button. Cheers, Shane Devenshire "Tanya" wrote: > I have a 2003 Excel file that I was trying to save in 2007. I get the > message:...

IMAP/PDA suspect operation.
We are currently using an E2K3 server on an up to date W2K3 server. We are experiencing some slightly odd behaviour with some of our PDA clients downloading email to their mobile devices using IMAP. Out of 25 users, about 3 or 4 of them are not getting some mail downloaded to their device. If you check their mailbox in OWA you can see mail that has not been opened or moved and has apparently not been downloaded to their device. You can then send them a new email which will be successfully pulled down to their device but the other emails still stay there untouched. Why would this be so?...

Reading Entourage Messages in Gmail
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Email Client: pop I am using Entourage for my work email client. I don't have a mac laptop and can't access email from home. I have tried using webmail, but can only see unread messages (I think read messages are downloaded to my hard drive at work). I need a way to read all of my Entourage email messages from my PC laptop at home. Any suggestions? Is there a way to sync with my gmail account? There are two options: * in Tools>Options, double-click your Gmail account, switch to the Options tab and make sure the ...

Is there a way to limit access to a page in Excel to one person?
Is there a way to limit who has access to a page created in Excel to only the people who need to have the access? Like perhaps to put a block on it?? Or fix it so that you have to have a password to gain access to the particular page?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. What do you consider as a "page"? What is printed out is usually referred to as a page or pages. Perhaps you are referring to a particular worksheet. If a worksheet, you could hide the sheet under Format>Hide>Sheet then Protect the Workbook under Tools>Protection>Protect Workbook and enter a ...

none of my msgs get sent? how do I set it up so they do?
I made outlook by default email client. I click on New msg I type the messg I hit send I always get an error msg that 0 msg sent What did I not do? Help me configure Outlook so my msgs get sent What version of Outlook are you using? Have you used the Test Account Settings button? If yes, what error messages are reported? -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, majorhist asked: | I made outlook by default email client. |...

Setting week number in Microsoft CRM
Hi! I am operating with different week numbers in my CRM. - CRM-appointment is at the moment showing week no. 25 - Outlook calender i showing week no. 25 - but on the startside there is showing week no. 26. How can i change week no. 26 to 25 ? Best Regard Claus Hi! You can change the start day of the week. Try it, and it will also change the week number. Sanne Hi Sanne! Thank you, do you now if there is a special way to update the week. no. for the startside from Outlook? Best Regard Claus "Sanne" <Groenhof@gmail.com> skrev i en meddelelse news:1119354490.286033.5...